Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2017, 10:39   #16
BHPian

Re: Driving rental car out of state - What taxes & fees to expect?

Friends,
Any response on my above query?

My plans have undergone a bit of a change. Now my itinerary looks like this - Bangalore >> Ooty >> Guruvayoor >> Palani >> Ooty >> Bangalore.

Need urgent info on KA to TN entry tax and TN to KL entry tax for a KA self drive vehicle (black plate with yellow text).

Have got to know that off late, KL has started imposing a super big entry tax for KA tourist vehicles and am mighty worried

Pls help me.
Old 27th April 2017, 14:35   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo222 View Post
Friends,
Any response on my above query?

My plans have undergone a bit of a change. Now my itinerary looks like this - Bangalore >> Ooty >> Guruvayoor >> Palani >> Ooty >> Bangalore.

Need urgent info on KA to TN entry tax and TN to KL entry tax for a KA self drive vehicle (black plate with yellow text).

Have got to know that off late, KL has started imposing a super big entry tax for KA tourist vehicles and am mighty worried

Pls help me.
Depends on what car you are driving as there are caps based on seating capacity and engine cc. AFAIK, TN state entry tax should not exceed 600 for a 5 seater sedan. I'm not too sure about Kerala though. They might be charging more than any other South states, but I'm guessing it shouldn't exceed 1000.

You can call up your operator and ask them this question. They'll be able to help for sure with the exact numbers. Which company is this by the way?

The other thing to note is where exactly to stop and pay the tax. For TN, it is just after the Attibele toll booth, before you enter Hosur town. You will see a hoard of lorries parked on the road side. Again, not sure about Kerala as I don't know where you'll be entering Kerala.

Last edited by luvurride : 27th April 2017 at 14:37.
luvurride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2017, 14:52   #18
BHPian

Quote:

Pls help me.
I had taken self-drive rental car(Zoomcar) from Bangalore to TN and KL, had to pay around 500 for TN and around 150 for KL. This was in 2014.

KL has made change to the entry tax for KA tourist vehicles to levy one year tax (IIRC). Check with the rental operator. For instance, Zoomcar had a policy of refunding the AP entry tax (in case one had to pay), since the tax to be paid is for a year and it will be hefty, though the car can have multiple entries to AP for a year.
bejoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2017, 14:56   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
I had taken self-drive rental car(Zoomcar) from Bangalore to TN and KL, had to pay around 500 for TN and around 150 for KL. This was in 2014.

KL has made change to the entry tax for KA tourist vehicles to levy one year tax (IIRC). Check with the rental operator.
Thanks Bejoy! But then neither Zoomcar nor mychoize (the rental company that I have opted for) have been able to put light on the current situation prevailing for KL. Zoomcar still has the same policy for AN but nothing specifically clear in place for KL. Am still clueless.
Old 28th April 2017, 11:23   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Bejoy! But then neither Zoomcar nor mychoize (the rental company that I have opted for) have been able to put light on the current situation prevailing for KL. Zoomcar still has the same policy for AN but nothing specifically clear in place for KL. Am still clueless.
Here is an article that might help:

http://english.manoramaonline.com/bu...re-kerala.html
luvurride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2017, 13:59   #21

Hi Folks

I'm planning to visit Horsely Hills followed by Lepakshi in a single day.
I'm renting a Zoomcar and since this is my first trip out of Karnataka, I was wondering if someone could brief me on what I'm supposed to do after entering Andhra Pradesh ?

Since I don't speak Telugu and going solo, I'm all the more worried about being taken for a ride (figuratively of course) at the RTO in AP. It's worth mentioning I've never really been to an RTO.

Any other tips/points to keep in mind would be of immense help to me

Thanks
Dhiwakar
Old 3rd May 2017, 15:04   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhiwakar92 View Post
Hi Folks

I'm planning to visit Horsely Hills followed by Lepakshi in a single day.
I'm renting a Zoomcar and since this is my first trip out of Karnataka, I was wondering if someone could brief me on what I'm supposed to do after entering Andhra Pradesh ?
After entering AP, you need to drive up to Penukonda RTO, which is on the Hyderabad highway itself, and pay tax.

Penukonda RTO Google maps location : https://www.google.co.in/maps/place/...41!4d77.610226

https://www.zoomcar.com/policy#interState

Zoomcar website mentions that 2670 is reimbursable amount for AP tax, which is valid for one year. Why don't you talk to zoom support and ask them to try and allot you a car, which has its AP tax already paid? Because, from what I've experienced; AP RTO will charge extra from you, and that amount will not be reimbursed by Zoom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_rider View Post
I'm back from my Lepakshi trip; had taken a Zoom XUV. The RTO tax part for 7 seater vehicle is 2650 and 500 extra is collected as penalty for offence U/S 200(1) of MV Act. Only God knows what offence I committed by walking into RTO checkpost and paying up voluntarily. Although you get a receipt for the complete amount, I learnt the hard way that Zoom reimburses only 2650, and the rest is to be borne by the driver. Their website does not mention this
black_rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2017, 22:52   #23
BHPian

I am planning a drive next week from Delhi to Haridwar & Rishikesh.

1. For folks in Delhi, I am going to rent a car, hence want to know where do I need to pay the Uttar Pradesh road tax. Google maps shows a road through Gazipur, over what looks like a flyover. Is there a UP RTO post somewhere here? Or is there a recommended route to enter UP where I can pay the road tax.
2. Hopefully the RTO post between UP and UK should be easy to spot as this is a National Highway. Again, any recommendations here

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 9th May 2017, 14:10   #24
BHPian

Hi,
While most of the queries are related to the southern states, I did experience some of the northern states in the last few weeks. The most peculiar is J and K. When you enter Lakhanpur (entry point of J and K), you have to state if you are going to Kashmir or just Jammu region. And then based on the number of estimated days, is what you pay. They charge you 110/- per day for Jammu region.
The catch is, that when you are exiting the state, you have to again stop, on the other side of the road, find the run down office and show the receipt and close the transaction, by paying for any extra days you have stayed. If you forget to do it, or not do it becasue of not knowing about it, then the tax keeps accumulating, and the next time when someone takes the car in the state, he will be given the hefty bill.
They don't tell you that. They dont write it anywhere.
You are supposed to know about it. I did the mistake of existing the state, but thankfully returned back in the same trip after few days. Had to pay for all the days I was not even in the state. I have a feeling most of the states who have a daily tax will have this opening and closing date kind of an arrangment.

Last edited by v-drive : 9th May 2017 at 14:10. Reason: corrected info
Old 9th May 2017, 16:01   #25
BANNED

Watch out. With the GST coming I expect taxation to see a sea change, over the next three to six months.
Old 20th February 2018, 13:06   #26
BHPian

What is the state entry tax for TN (entering from KA) for self-drive rentals (zoom / revv) for sedan and SUV ?
Old 29th January 2019, 18:33   #27
BHPian

I’m going to rent a car from zoomcar at Maharashtra and would be traveling to Gujarat. Hence I would like to know where I can pay the road tax for Gujarat state.

Is the Gujarat permit required?
What is the penalty and fees, if I don’t get the permiT?

Please share your valuable experience of renting a zoomcar in MH and traveling to Gujarat.
Old 30th January 2019, 09:44   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udayjani View Post
I’m going to rent a car from zoomcar at Maharashtra and would be traveling to Gujarat. Hence I would like to know where I can pay the road tax for Gujarat state.

Is the Gujarat permit required?
What is the penalty and fees, if I don’t get the permiT?
Don't know about GJ but we missed paying state tax in PB and it was not a good experience. By law, the police can impound the car and what is worst is that the insurance becomes invalid. So if something goes wrong, it can cost dearly.

Usually, there is a check post at the border and just after that you can find a small counter to pay state entry tax. We used to ask the cops at check post for the exact location while entering a new state.
Old 6th January 2020, 11:13   #29
BHPian

I crossed the TN-KL border twice on 17th Dec and 23rd Dec 2019.

1st time - Morazzo - 1.49 L Revv self-drive - 7 seater (incl. driver). Drove from TN into Kerala. Queue at the checkpost was 1-2 people as it was a bandh day. I paid Rs 550/- and its valid on quarterly basis - Oct-Dec, Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun, Jul-Sep. So what tax-bill I received was valid till Dec 31st.

2nd time - Scorpio - 2.0+ L Revv self-drive - 7 seater (incl. driver). Drove from TN into Kerala. Queue was huge - about 10-12 people. And each person was taking a long time. Sabarimala van drivers. I had to go for last rites of my Dad to Ivarmadom and so requested the police nearby at the urgency. He helped me by going directly to an other desk. This time I was charged Rs. 1500/- Reason? Its a 2.0+L engine and so the charges are different and more. Again valid till Dec 31st. He also said that for cabs its Rs 300/- I did not understand what cabs are but I am assuming 5 seater hatch/sedans.

Please note: Both my Revv rental vehicles were Black Board Self-Driver KA boards. But I guess they did not stress on the KA boards. Its just the engine capacity I feel.

Last edited by jeevmenon : 6th January 2020 at 11:15.
Old 16th November 2020, 21:33   #30

I am planning to drive from Pune go Goa via Belgaum. I have rented a car from MyChoize. When I spoke to the customer care, they said that Karnataka state charges around Rs. 10,000/- as entry fees and it is valid for a year. You have to pay it even if you are staying in the state for one day. Could anyone please help me with this? I feel it is too much, but there is no way to confirm it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks