Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2016, 22:20   #1
BHPian

Driving rental car out of state - What taxes & fees to expect?

I have taken a sedan on rent from Mylescar. The car has a commercial vehicle registration in Haryana. I plan to drive it out of state, specifically to Delhi and Rajasthan. Having never taken a commercial car out of state, I have the following queries and I would be most grateful if someone could help me out. (Basic search of the forum did not turn out any matches)

What tax/ fee/ permit should I procure from the authorities at the state border?

If fee/ tax is to be paid, what is the amount where should I pay it? Is it possible to do it online?
Old 22nd June 2016, 01:04   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.praveen View Post

If fee/ tax is to be paid, what is the amount where should I pay it? Is it possible to do it online?

It depends from state to state. In last 4 months I have travelled to Uttarakhand, Himachal Pradesh and Punjab in a Delhi registered selfdrive rental car.

State Entry tax that I paid:
  • Uttarakhand - 250₹ for 24hrs.
  • Punjab - 250₹ for 24hrs.
  • Himachal Pradesh - 600₹ for 3 months.
I did not pay state entry tax for Haryana, as instructed by the selfdrive rental agency. I paid the tax on the state border while entering into the state. Not sure what is the procedure to pay the tax online.

Last edited by sinharishi : 22nd June 2016 at 01:08.
sinharishi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2016, 10:40   #3
BHPian

re: Driving rental car out of state - What taxes & fees to expect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.praveen View Post
What tax/ fee/ permit should I procure from the authorities at the state border?

As soon as you come to the border of the state you will see RTO, that's the place to pay it. Sometimes it gets hidden by vehicles but the amount of trucks standing is something which will be a good indicator

When i traveled from Bangalore to both Delhi and Rajasthan, i paid the following

Delhi - about Rs.1500 for a month (they didn't have weekly or daily stuff) the highest i paid among the 6 states i traveled

Rajasthan - about 300-400 for 4 or 7 days

Last edited by GTO : 22nd June 2016 at 11:14. Reason: Typo
KD007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2016, 08:59   #4
BHPian

Re: Driving rental car out of state - What taxes & fees to expect?

How much time consuming is it to pay state entry tax? Cab drivers generally take around half an hour to pay this tax.

How is the experience of paying this tax?

I am planning to hire a self driving car for an upcoming interstate trip.
Old 23rd June 2016, 09:57   #5
BHPian

A more convenient option is to go online to the RTO website of the particular state and pay the tax for the number of days you have to stay in the state. If you have to just pass through the state, pay the tax twice, once while going and once when returning. DO remember to take a printout though.

eg. for Rajasthan, visit

http://www.transport.rajasthan.gov.i...transport.html

This would save you from the hassle of looking for tax payment centres, save you time also.
deepfusion is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2016, 10:08   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond128 View Post
How much time consuming is it to pay state entry tax? Cab drivers generally take around half an hour to pay this tax.

The timing depends, for me Delhi took about 45 minutes it was noon time and Rajasthan about 25 minutes (late at night). Another example is for Maharashtra I had to wait for 1 hour since the tax inspector had gone for lunch whereas in Gujarat it hardly took 7 minutes since everything is well organized.

My suggestion keep 30-45 minutes timeframe

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
Don't think all states have this. Also in the link for the tax payment it doesn't provide option to fill in number of days which means this link is for permanent movement and not for passing the states.Correct me if i am wrong
KD007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2016, 10:26   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Don't think all states have this. Also in the link for the tax payment it doesn't provide option to fill in number of days which means this link is for permanent movement and not for passing the states.Correct me if i am wrong
You can get around the number of days thing. there is an option available on certain sites. Eg. https://vahan.up.nic.in/upcheckpost/...eckposttax.jsp

On the Rajasthan site also, you can calculate the tax for one day, multiply it with the no. of days you will be staying in Rajsthan and pay the tax.
deepfusion is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2016, 11:47   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond128 View Post

I am planning to hire a self driving car for an upcoming interstate trip.

Again, I would say that it depends from state to state. I never took more than 10 mins, just hand over the RC, permit and give your mobile number. On 3 occasions I took just 5 mins.

While entering Uttarakhand from U.P I could locate more than 5 places where one can pay state entry tax.
sinharishi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2016, 13:05   #9
BHPian

I have never driven a commercial / self-driven rented vehicle across state borders. I am planning to hire a self-driven car for an upcoming interstate trip.

Usually, I see cab drivers take around half-an-hour to pay state entry tax.

Does it take this long? Also, how is the experience?

I would be crossing state border late in night. I assume these RTO offices are open round the clock.
Old 23rd June 2016, 19:40   #10
BHPian

Thanks a lot guys!

I had gone to Jaipur and the procedure to pay and the timeframe involved was very convenient with regard to Rajasthan RTO. It costs me Rs. 160 for one day and it took only 2 minutes to make the payment at the RTO post.

My only grouse is that the authorities can put up big boards signalling an RTO post. It is easy to miss them at highway speeds if one is not specifically looking out for them.
Old 23rd June 2016, 19:56   #11
BHPian

Guys, going to Hampi(Karnataka) from chennai on zoomcar tonight. Should i pay state visitors fees? Asking since it will be a KA registered vehicle. Also, am using self drive car for the first time. Any tips or precautions would help a lot. Please let me know ASAP. Thanks in advance
Old 6th February 2017, 11:55   #12
BHPian

Planning a trip to Agra and Jhansi from Delhi in April end. I am a regular user of Zoom in Bangalore but never needed to drive across borders.
Any points to keep in mind while picking self drive rentals from Delhi and how much is it a hassle paying state entry tax. I will be crossing 3 states, UP, MP and Rajasthan.
Old 6th February 2017, 12:33   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
Planning a trip to Agra and Jhansi from Delhi in April end. I am a regular user of Zoom in Bangalore but never needed to drive across borders.
Any points to keep in mind while picking self drive rentals from Delhi and how much is it a hassle paying state entry tax. I will be crossing 3 states, UP, MP and Rajasthan.
We did Delhi - UP - Delhi last May with a Ford EcoSport rented from Voler cars NCR. You can easily pay state entry tax on the UP Vahan website. It was just 120/- INR and if I remember you could use this for MP and Rajasthan too. Just check with Zoom about this. Their permit might cover RJ and MP. Not sure about this. Just enter the vehicle details from the RC and pay by card. You will get a confirmation SMS on your phone and printable receipt will be displayed at checkout. It's good if you can print this. I couldnt do this because I made the payment the night before our trip. So all I had was the confirmation SMS and the screen shot of the receipt displayed on the phone web browser. When I enquired about this with my local tour operator, I was told a print out is not necessary. It's another matter that we were not stopped at a single place in DL or UP. Hope this helps.

PS: We took the beautiful and boring Yamuna Expressway to Agra.

Last edited by aswin ajith : 6th February 2017 at 12:39.
aswin ajith is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2017, 19:52   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswin ajith View Post
We did Delhi - UP - Delhi last May with a Ford EcoSport rented from Voler cars NCR.
PS: We took the beautiful and boring Yamuna Expressway to Agra.

Thanks Ashwin for the update. Did you check on the insurance cover terms in Voler. Zoom limits the liability to security deposit, while Voler says user will have to pay for actual repair charges irrespective of the insurance cover!

Voler looks a good option but the insurance thing is just running in my mind. Any idea of the liability clause of MYLES?
Old 20th April 2017, 18:21   #15
BHPian

Friends, am traveling to Ooty in May and will be using a self dive rental car from Bangalore to Ooty (T. Nadu).

My stay in T. Nadu is going to be around 8 to 9 nights. Pls help on my below queries -

1. what's the amount of state entry tax that I will have to pay when I enter T. Nadu?

2. Can I pay state entry tax for T. Nadu online in advance? If yes, pls help me with the link.

3. What if my stay in T. Nadu exceeds the number of days for which my state entry tax has been paid?

4. Will I have to pay state entry tax on my way back, at the time of entering Karnataka, too?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks