Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2016, 20:58   #16
BHPian

Re: The Srinagar situation: Safe for lone bikers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJD@NewDelhi View Post
A friend of mine is on his Ladakh trip with his itinerary set to enter J&K from Srinagar. He will leave tomorrow morning from Ambala for his ultimate pitstop for the night - Patnitop. Need feedback from members convergent with the immediate situation for below pointers:

1. Is it safe for DL registered bike to cross the Jammu-Srinagar highway? How does the curfew affect the highway traffic?

2. What is the situation in the Anantnag stretch which needs to be crossed enroute Patnitop?

3. For going via Manali, is it true that permit is issued for the day after the next? For eg. if he reaches Manali by tomorrow evening i.e. Friday, he will get bike passage permit for Sunday.

Your help is appreciated in advance.

Cheerz,
Suraj
Any update on your friend's trip. the situation here is still volatile and hope your friend is safe.
dinesh6481 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2016, 06:21   #17
BHPian

Re: The Srinagar situation: Safe for lone bikers?

I would definitely say avoid!! Two of my friends were there a couple of weeks back and it was bad. The actual story is very long, but I will just cut it to two-three sentences. They had to take refuge in a small refreshments shop which was serving the army. And finally after 3 days when they were allowed to ride with a hundred other cars, it was only at 11 in the night!! Although there were army personnel stationed at regular intervals on the road, there were many patches which were in pitch dark and no army personnel around!

The most chilling part of their ride was (even though they were advised not to to this, they did) they stopped at an empty petrol bunk on the way out and suddenly a group of youngsters (whose population was growing by the second) was approaching them with their hands hidden behind or in their pockets!!

AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!

-Bhargav
Octane_Power is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks