Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2006, 10:43   #1
BHPian

Most scenic drive in India

Hi all!

during my last trip to himachal pradesh i came across some of the most stunning sceneries as i drove past them. tall mountains on one side, fast flowing river on the other, blue sky on top & deep black fully metteled road to drive on. infact the car was easily cruising at 100-110 at some stretches between mandi & aut. that was the most scenic by far in my trips.

any more will be welcome to be explored in the coming trips.
Old 15th November 2006, 11:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

One of the most spectacular drives in India is the Manali-Leh road via Keylong, Sarchu and Pang, especially in the Sarchu-Pang sector where you can se evidence of the continental drift. Drive to Spiti Valley from Gramphoo to Kaza via Kunzum La is also fantastic. Nowhere in India do you get to do such high-altitude driving in the starkest of terrain, tracing sources of major rivers and experiencing bluest of skies.
Old 15th November 2006, 17:17   #3
BHPian

When you drive from Mangalore > Kundapura towards Ankola, the Honavar bay (before Kumta) where you cross a bridge and the bay is on the left is pretty scenic. So is the 2-3 kms stretch of road near the Maravanthe beach after Kundapura. I recently went on this stretch while driving from Kochi to Pune.
Old 15th November 2006, 20:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

Backwater Drives:

Paravur-Varkala in South Kerala, the road nestles along thye Asthamudi Backwaters on one side and teh Arabian Sea on the other, like at Maravanthe/Tarasi

Coastal Drives:

Bhimunipatnam-Vishakapatnam offers a specatcular drive, skirting the Rushikonda Beach

Mountain Drives:

Bhalukhpong-Bomdila, en route Tawang in Arunachal Pradesh, is certainly one of the greenest of forests and valleys as you rapidly ascend to the higher altitudes of Bomdila

Desert Drive:

Jaisalmer-Barmer and Sri Ganga Nagar-Bikaner, both in Rajasthan, are great desert roads, where you can drive through a few hundred kilometres of barren land, interpersed by sand dunes and tormented by sand storms
Old 29th December 2006, 07:49   #5

i would say drive between mysore to ooty to be most scenic one.
Old 11th June 2010, 16:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

Such threads should be always re-initiated..fill in with more information...
Old 11th June 2010, 16:17   #7
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

The Sangla-Chitkul stretch is a fantastic road. Scenic, with pristine vistas and lovely tarmac makes for an amazing drive. Sangla is around 240 kms east of Shimla on NH-22 and Chitkul is a short drive from there, which takes around an hour.
Old 11th June 2010, 16:21   #8
Senior - BHPian

The Himalayas and Arunachal Pradesh !

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post

Mountain Drives:

Bhalukhpong-Bomdila, en route Tawang in Arunachal Pradesh, is certainly one of the greenest of forests and valleys as you rapidly ascend to the higher altitudes of Bomdila

I have travelled (not driven) along this stretch during the late 80s. This is one of the most scenic stretches that I have experienced in my life. Those days, we did not have even a film camera (Yashica 35mm fixed-lens AF P&S was the 'in thing' then)...but , those wonderful memories linger on in my mind. The sheer grandeur of the Himalayas...the untouched beauty of nature completely surrounding us...the cool, clean air filling one's lungs...flora and fauna of all shapes sizes and colours...all of this was something that was etched into my mind forever. Maybe, i would get around to driving along those roads sometime in my life.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 11th June 2010 at 16:39.
Old 11th June 2010, 17:27   #9
BHPian

The Almora-Chaukori-Munsiyari drive provides spectacular views of the tall snow covered mountains, like Nanda Devi, Trishul, Panchauli, Chaukumbha, etc., of the Himalayas. I'd a hard time keeping my eyes on the road seeing all those mighty tall peaks in front of me again and again. The only catch is that luck needs to be on your side for the weather to be clear (no clouds/haze).
Old 11th June 2010, 20:41   #10
BHPian

The Shillong Cherrapunji drive comes to my mind-hills to one side and a deep gorge on the other. Though not many people have gone beyond Cherra, the drive from Cherra to Shella is even more beautiful in my mind. Little known waterfalls, thick jungles and a treacherous road make a wonderful combination.
Old 12th June 2010, 00:19   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradkumar View Post
When you drive from Mangalore > Kundapura towards Ankola, the Honavar bay (before Kumta) where you cross a bridge and the bay is on the left is pretty scenic. So is the 2-3 kms stretch of road near the Maravanthe beach after Kundapura. I recently went on this stretch while driving from Kochi to Pune.

The entire NH 17 is a very scenic drive.
I like the Mangalore-Karwar and the Kasargod-Cannanore stretch the most .
Old 12th June 2010, 11:22   #12
Senior - BHPian

A drive through Malshej in Maharashtra during the monsoons is spectacular
Old 12th June 2010, 11:45   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Backwater Drives:

Paravur-Varkala in South Kerala, the road nestles along thye Asthamudi Backwaters on one side and teh Arabian Sea on the other, like at Maravanthe/Tarasi

Coastal Drives:

Bhimunipatnam-Vishakapatnam offers a specatcular drive, skirting the Rushikonda Beach

Mountain Drives:

Desert Drive:

Jaisalmer-Barmer and Sri Ganga Nagar-Bikaner, both in Rajasthan, are great desert roads, where you can drive through a few hundred kilometres of barren land, interpersed by sand dunes and tormented by sand storms
hvk,

1. Re. the drives that you list above, which vehicle did you drive, the Matiz or the Scorpio? I ask this because my car has a low ground clearance.

2. Any scenic routes that you would like to suggest in Maharashtra and Gujarat? Where I can take my normal car and not a jeep/SUV?

Regards
Old 12th June 2010, 11:58   #14
Senior - BHPian

scenic drives in w maharashtra and konkan

scenic routes

1] malshej ghat[ best in monsoon]
2] ghoti-bhandaradara
3] amboli ghat[ best through out the year]
4] pune-lavasa, pune-kolad via tamhini ghat[ best in monsoon]
5] pune-bhor-mahad via varandha ghat [ best in monsoon]
6] kolhapur-radhanagari-kankwali via phonda ghat[ best through out the year]
7] diveagar-shrivardhan via coastal route.[ all time best]
8] ganapatipule -ratnagiri-pawas via coastal route
9] malwan-vengurla via parule[ best in winter]
10] vengurla-redi via shiroda[ all time best]
11] dapoli-harne-anjarle via coastal route[ best in winter]
12] alibag-murud janjira via coastal route[ all time best]
13] satara-bamnoli via kaas lake[ best in sept]
14] kolhapur-vaibhavwadi via gaganbavda ghat.
15] chiplun-sangmeshwar-marleshwar[ best in winter]
16] panchgani-kates point-kshetra mahabaleshwar-mahabaleshwar[ best in winter]

These are some of the scenic routes you can do in normal car.
There are some scenic routes in thane and nasik districts.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 12th June 2010 at 12:10.
Old 12th June 2010, 12:25   #15
BHPian

Thank you Ashish,

I have to start planning immediately - maybe I'll do one every month!
In most cases monsoon will be the best time.
Have done 4a & 12 ( btw Ashish, are there two routes for Murud Janjira? I had done this through Revadanda and Roha-I think.)
Regards

Last edited by issigonis : 12th June 2010 at 12:35.

Most Viewed