Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2017, 10:13   #1
BHPian

Hyderabad to Dhanbad route?

Hi All,

One of my friends is looking for best road option from Hyderabad to Dhanbad bypassing Kolkata. He has done Hyd-Kol several times and very comfortable on that road. We find couple of options

1. Jajpur Road - Keonjhar - Chaibasa - Purulia - Dhanbad
2. Balasore - Baripada - Ghatshila - Jamshedpur - Purulia - Dhanbad
3. Kharagpur - Bankura - Raniganj - Dhanbad

Please let us know the best option. Any other suggestions are also welcome.
Old 20th November 2017, 10:53   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyderabad to Dhanbad route?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishroy View Post
Hi All,

One of my friends is looking for best road option from Hyderabad to Dhanbad bypassing Kolkata. He has done Hyd-Kol several times and very comfortable on that road. We find couple of options

1. Jajpur Road - Keonjhar - Chaibasa - Purulia - Dhanbad
2. Balasore - Baripada - Ghatshila - Jamshedpur - Purulia - Dhanbad
3. Kharagpur - Bankura - Raniganj - Dhanbad

Please let us know the best option. Any other suggestions are also welcome.
Option 2 and 3 look good to me. If you take option 2, then from Baripada, take the Bangriposi route. The route is scenic, sees very minimal traffic, no tolls, and surface is good too (not four-laned though). We have taken this route many times, hence sort of familiar with this one more than the other options in your list. You can take the route with the via points as: Baripada> Bangriposi> Bisoi>Rairangpur> Hata> Jamshedpur. And from there, you can carry on to Purulia and finally to Dhanbad.

And since you must be knowing about the naxal issues in this region, better not to risk travelling at night. Avoid travelling to places like Chaibasa/ Ghatshila/ Purulia (if you wish to take the other routes) at night.

Regards,
Saket.
saket77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th November 2017, 10:57   #3
Senior - BHPian

I have been to Dhanbad and beyond from Bangalore couple of times. I have taken the roads#2 while going and while coming taken road#3. Road#1 I will not advise as it crosses through deep forest area and Maoist infested Simlipal forest.

All these roads are advisable only during day time, do no travel during night time.

Road#2: Good road to byepass Kolkata and to reach Jharkhand towns quickly. The roads in Odisha is good and from Balasore itself the NH18 starts which goes all the way till Gobindpur in Dhanbad (place where it meets GT Road). The facility in entire road is pretty basic and you will pass through few forest areas in between. When I went, road from Baharagora till Jamshedpur town entry junction was in pathetic condition. Last I heard it has been repaired.

When you go in this road you will find infamous Jamsola border check post, where they extorted 1100 Rs from me as Odisha Road Tax. I have detailed post in this forum as well.

Road#3: This is Ok Ok road with some bad sections in between. But this road has drawback you'll need to drive till Kharagpur to take left turn on this road. I would advise keep it as second option.
anujmishra is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th November 2017, 17:39   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Option 2 and 3 look good to me. If you take option 2, then from Baripada, take the Bangriposi route. The route is scenic, sees very minimal traffic, no tolls, and surface is good too (not four-laned though). We have taken this route many times, hence sort of familiar with this one more than the other options in your list. You can take the route with the via points as: Baripada> Bangriposi> Bisoi>Rairangpur> Hata> Jamshedpur. And from there, you can carry on to Purulia and finally to Dhanbad.
+1 to what saket77 has suggested.

The Bangriposi-Rairangpur route is quite good. Roads are decent and the scenery is worth watching.

Avoid the Keonjhar-Chaibasa route, because roads become quite bad once you are 20-25 kms out from Keonjhar (going north). That, plus Naxal infestation makes this a doubtful choice, specially the areas around Purulia & Chaibasa (best avoided).

The Kharagpur stretch is okay, but it will take longer. Raniganj has a number of patches where construction work is still going on, so it will slow you down as well.
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2018, 12:15   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Baripada> Bangriposi> Bisoi>Rairangpur> Hata> Jamshedpur.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The Bangriposi-Rairangpur route is quite good. Roads are decent and the scenery is worth watching.
Hi! Have you or anyone whom you know have traveled on this route recently? I mean in the recent 1-2 months. I usually take this route during my BLR-JSR-BLR drives but I do not have any recent update, post monsoon. Will be driving next month. I have the update for Baharagora-JSR route and was told that despite the diversions, the road condition has improved, compared to what it was last year, but is slightly longer (Baripada-Jamshola-Baharagora-JSR).

Thanks in advance for your help!

Rahul

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks