Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2011, 12:17   #76
Senior - BHPian

re: Chennai - Ullundurpettai - Salem : Route Queries

I have got some update on this route.

I did this route yesterday (Salem-Ulundurpet) in a public transport and not in car. Here's the status.

Salem-Attur - The progress is still slow and there are lot of diversions. I can put the completion percentage at around 60%. Attur bypass is also not yet ready.

Attur-Kallakurichi - Drastic improvement over my previous encounter in this route. Its almost done and I can put the completion at around 95%. Kallakurichi bypass is yet to opened but seems like its done.

Kallakurichi-Ulundurpet - No issues at all. Its near completion at 100%.
To sum it all, Ulundurpet-Attur will be a smooth drive except of the fact that kallakurichi bypass is not yet open.

Regarding the Toll Plazas, I saw 3 toll's which are coming up. One between Ulundurpet and Kallakurichi. One between Kallakurichi and Attur near Thalaivasal. And another in Vazhapadi.

Now, the biggest puzzle for me is that I saw the signboards throughout the journey which tells that it is NH 79 (???) and not NH 68. Any members have any knowledge on this front?
rameshnanda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2011, 13:22   #77
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Now, the biggest puzzle for me is that I saw the signboards throughout the journey which tells that it is NH 79 (???) and not NH 68. Any members have any knowledge on this front?
Not possible. NH79 is the one in Raj/MP. Ajmer to Dhar (via Ratlam). Maybe something to do with Asian Highway numbers?
Great to hear this update though. Hopefully in another year, this should be an end to end 4L!
Old 12th September 2011, 13:26   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Not possible. NH79 is the one in Raj/MP. Ajmer to Dhar (via Ratlam). Maybe something to do with Asian Highway numbers?
Great to hear this update though. Hopefully in another year, this should be an end to end 4L!
True amp. I also found that NH79 is in Raj/MP. But, what I saw yesterday is also true. I did not see one board which said NH 79 but multiple signboards which read it. That was a yellow board with NH 79 written in Black. I should have taken a picture of it. I am puzzled over this since I saw this.

Is this something to do with the renumbering?
http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...corridor-nh-48

Last edited by rameshnanda : 12th September 2011 at 13:29.
Old 12th September 2011, 16:39   #79
Senior - BHPian

Great update Ramesh! Looks like it is worth a try then ? I was planning to take it on the way to Yercaud, i guess there is one route that branches off after Attur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Is this something to do with the renumbering?
Yes my friend, NH-68 is NH-79 by the new numbering scheme.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2011, 16:59   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Great update Ramesh! Looks like it is worth a try then ? I was planning to take it on the way to Yercaud, i guess there is one route that branches off after Attur.
Yes. It will be worth a try. But, still Attur - Salem will be real painful with diversions and hell lot of traffic. For the Yercaud route, you have to reach Ayodhyapattinam and take right for the Harur road. You will get the Ghat road from Kuppanur.

Quote:
Yes my friend, NH-68 is NH-79 by the new numbering scheme.
Great. This solves the puzzle. Popular NH 7 is going to be NH 44. It will take some time to get used to it.
Old 15th September 2011, 13:26   #81
Senior - BHPian

I do want to travel to salem through Ulundurpet Kallkurichi. Seems Ulundurpet to Athur is a smooth drive. What is the distance between Athur and Salem? The Vellore Krishnagiri Dharmapuri Road from Chennai is too expensive due to toll.
Old 15th September 2011, 13:50   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
I do want to travel to salem through Ulundurpet Kallkurichi. Seems Ulundurpet to Athur is a smooth drive. What is the distance between Athur and Salem? The Vellore Krishnagiri Dharmapuri Road from Chennai is too expensive due to toll.
Road from Ulundurpet to Kallakurichi is OK, although Kallakurichi town bypass is not ready.
But after that, road is incomplete and not good till Salem.
Old 15th September 2011, 15:32   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
navan, whatever rameshnanda says is the latest update. my colleague who is a weekend bus commuter to Salem confirms the same, he says there are many diversions between Attur and Ayodhyapattinam. A xylo owner friend did Madras-Salem in 5.15 hrs about 4-5 months back when it was much more incomplete. Dont venture this route at night.
Old 15th September 2011, 19:17   #84
Senior - BHPian

I am a regular traveler to salem through Kancipuram,Vellore,Krishnagiri and Dharmapuri. Just thought of the good old route to save the toll. It seems that it is not advisable. Thought that if the road is fine up to Athur then I can take some trouble if it is about 20kms distance between salem and Athur.
Old 15th September 2011, 22:36   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am a regular traveler to salem through Kancipuram,Vellore,Krishnagiri and Dharmapuri. Just thought of the good old route to save the toll. It seems that it is not advisable. Thought that if the road is fine up to Athur then I can take some trouble if it is about 20kms distance between salem and Athur.
If you are going to travel in day time then it should be fine. The distance between Attur and Salem is 50 Kms and it may take about 1 to 1.5 hrs to cover this distance. What I can assure is that you will have smooth drive from Ulundurpet to Attur.
Old 15th September 2011, 23:18   #86
Senior - BHPian

If Athur to Ulundurpet is 50Kms, then it can be tolerable. Once I tried Vaniambadi,Tirupathur road that was also horrible near and after Tirupattur. I start at 4 or 5 am and reaches Ulundurpet around 6.40 or 7.00 am for break fast. So my travel is day travel only.Thank you ramesh.
Old 15th September 2011, 23:25   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If Athur to Ulundurpet is 50Kms, then it can be tolerable. Once I tried Vaniambadi,Tirupathur road that was also horrible near and after Tirupattur. I start at 4 or 5 am and reaches Ulundurpet around 6.40 or 7.00 am for break fast. So my travel is day travel only.Thank you ramesh.
If you are leaving from Chennai at around 4 or 5 AM, this route should be fine. But, watch out for the heavy traffic flow between Salem and Attur after 8 AM.
BTW, Salem to Attur is 50 Kms. and Attur to Ulundurpet is 84 Kms.
Old 16th September 2011, 23:33   #88
Senior - BHPian

The Chennai Vellore Vaniambadi Tirupattur road was horrible. Is there any improvements these days. Is there any other route to Salem apart from Krishnagiri- Dharmapuri, Or Vaniambadi - Tirupattur or Ulundurpet - Athur route. Please update.
Old 19th September 2011, 12:01   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Chennai Vellore Vaniambadi Tirupattur road was horrible. Is there any improvements these days. Is there any other route to Salem apart from Krishnagiri- Dharmapuri, Or Vaniambadi - Tirupattur or Ulundurpet - Athur route. Please update.
Possibly take Athur-Rasipuram and drive up to Salem on NH7. But that is 30-40 km extra.

Apart from these, there are no other routes.
Old 19th September 2011, 15:56   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Possibly take Athur-Rasipuram and drive up to Salem on NH7. But that is 30-40 km extra.
Apart from these, there are no other routes.
Thank you Narayan. It is a good idea and also it may be a new exploration. Is it (NH45) the road comes through Karur Namakkal Salem. If so once or twice I travelled from Madurai Dindigul Karur Salem.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks