Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2011, 16:14   #91
Senior - BHPian

re: Chennai - Ullundurpettai - Salem : Route Queries

Rasipuram is almost (2 km away) from Karur-Salem road. But Athur-Rasipuram is not NH.
Old 19th September 2011, 22:56   #92
Senior - BHPian

navan, I would prefer doing Attur-Salem instead of Attur-Rasipuram-Salem. Whats point in doing a 80 km drive instead of 50 Km? Attur-Salem can be done in 1.5 hrs max.
Old 20th September 2011, 21:37   #93
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the information. I will do so or take up Krishnagiri Road. Now a days it is raining.

Last edited by navan49 : 20th September 2011 at 21:39.
Old 1st October 2011, 00:40   #94
Senior - BHPian

Tomorrow making a trip to Yercaud with my grandchildren. Route is Chennai Ulundurpet Kallakurichi, Athur Salem. Starting at 4 Am. having a break and breakfast in Ulundurpet toll gate. I believe Iswarya restaurent. Then to take up the Athur Salem road. I want to really see the road conditions so starting early to reach before 12 in Yercaud.
Old 2nd October 2011, 19:56   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
Tomorrow making a trip to Yercaud with my grandchildren. Route is Chennai Ulundurpet Kallakurichi, Athur Salem. Starting at 4 Am. having a break and breakfast in Ulundurpet toll gate. I believe Iswarya restaurent. Then to take up the Athur Salem road. I want to really see the road conditions so starting early to reach before 12 in Yercaud.
Great. Can you update here whether the Kallakurichi bypass is open?
Old 4th October 2011, 11:43   #96
Senior - BHPian

My Salem trip started at 5 am. We had our breakfast in Ulundurpet Checkpost hotel. Ne information is that there is a new restaurent opened in Ulundurpet check post when you are coming from Trichy side. It seems ok. in a kilometer or two there is A2B.It is really good Veggie. The road just before entering to Kallakkurichi is superb. The bye pass is not opened in Kallkurichi. It is terrible to croaa Kallukurichi in the early hours I mean schhol timings 8 to 9.00 am. After Kallakurichi some places diversion and single side is used for up down vehicles.It leads like that upto Athur. After Athur it is really tidious. Quite often diversion and the diversion points all most all the points are rough. After Vazhapadi it is further worse upto Udayarpatti. From Udayar patti I took the diversion on the left to catch the Namakkal road. That small strectch of may be 4 to 5 Kms also rough.I dropped in my friends place near Mallur and proceeded to Yeracud and had some cool and fresh air. Then from Yercaud we took the road to Tiruppur. Up to Perundurai the Coimbatore road was fine. But after Perundurai the road was diverted mant places and was some what like the road between Athur and Vazhpadi. Then from Perumanallur we took the small link road to Tirupur. Return journey was same.
Old 5th November 2011, 12:42   #97
Senior - BHPian

Guys, any recent takers of this road? Is the Kallakurichi Bypass open? Whats the current status of Attur-Salem?
Old 5th November 2011, 16:10   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Guys, any recent takers of this road? Is the Kallakurichi Bypass open? Whats the current status of Attur-Salem?
Kallakurichi bypass is still not open, heard that there is some legal case going on which may delay its completion.
Road widening is still incomplete.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2011, 00:16   #99
Senior - BHPian

I have some update on this route now. I took the route Ulundurpet-Attur and the entire section is very smooth. The big news is that Kallakurichi bypass is now open, but its 2 Laned. Tolls are being built at 2 places within these section. I would put the road completion rate at 95%. Doing this road during day time was very easy. But, it becomes bit tough at night because of lack of proper markings on the road.

I don't know about the road condition from Attur-Salem.
rameshnanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2011, 08:10   #100
Senior - BHPian

I don't know about the road condition from Attur-Salem.[/quote]

If Kallakurichi by pass is opened, that is a good news for the travelers. Athur - Salem route is as it was. If some one want a better ride, take Athur - Rasipuram route.
Old 15th December 2011, 08:14   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
I don't know about the road condition from Attur-Salem.
If Kallakurichi by pass is opened, that is a good news for the travelers. Athur - Salem route is as it was. If some one want a better ride, take Athur - Rasipuram route.[/quote]

Kallakurchi Bypass is finally open.
Salem-Attur road is still being widened but in good condition.
Old 15th December 2011, 21:24   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Kallakurchi Bypass is finally open.
Salem-Attur road is still being widened but in good condition.
Kallakurichi bypass is open but it's not 4 Laned. It is very good 2 Laned road. I found most of the bypasses are 2 Laned from Ulundurpet-Attur. But, the road condition is fantastic. But, the road is very much drivable only during the daytime. On return, I did this route after 6 and it became very difficult driving without the markings. The 4 Laned road suddenly shrinks to 2 Lane without any markings. I got couple of heart aches till I reached Ulundurpet .

Last edited by rameshnanda : 15th December 2011 at 21:25.
rameshnanda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 09:10   #103
Senior - BHPian

Guys, let me know the condition of the road from Attur-Salem if anyone tried this route in recent time.
Old 10th January 2012, 09:17   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Guys, let me know the condition of the road from Attur-Salem if anyone tried this route in recent time.
Widening still on, but road is good.
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2012, 14:09   #105
Senior - BHPian

I did the Chennai-Ulundurpet-Salem section yesterday. The status of Ulundurpet-Attur is same as reported by me sometime back. Attur-Salem is 70% complete with diversion all along. But, the road condition is much much improved now. It is very much doable. One twist I got is, as I was driving in the range of 80-100, when nearing Salem, suddenly I saw no roads. I have hit a dead end of the highway with a huge flyover under construction in front of me. I then realized that I have missed to take diversion to touch Ayodhyapattinam and instead I have hit the Salem bypass. A new bypass, 2-3 kms before Ayodhyapattinam is indeed a news for me.

The biggest pain area for me on the trip is not roads but the traffic from Chennai till Ulundurpet. In one word, it was horrible. I encountered a queue at the Vikravandi Toll (near Villupuram), which stretched for a good 1.5 kms. It took me 45 minutes to cross this toll :(.

I am going to take the same route for my return journey to Chennai.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks