Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2019, 16:34   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Transporting Pets within India or internationally

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdmainroad View Post
For transporting cats in a car, I have found that it is much better to let them loose inside. They will then find a spot and make themselves comfortable. Keeping them in cage leads to constant complaints!
Very risky but yes, that can work. Some cats take to a car drive amazingly well; my first cat would sit on the dashboard or the boot cover in the rear during my Pune-Mumbai trips and even sleep at times.
On a general note, it helps if you have a co-passenger to reduce the risk as the cats tend to come between your feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Thank you for such an informative post ninjatalli. I have had my share of transporting our dogs by road.
These days we travel with our pet in our car. Problem is the presence of a large pet slows down your driving considerably. Last time it took about 4.5 hours for a journey which should have taken barely 1.5 hours. They quickly get car` sick if you travel at anything more than 60 kmph.
Happy to be of help. Sorry to hear about your first experience, that must have been an arduous trip. And yes; both my current and previous dog were never fans of 3 digit speeds. I guess the dogs that are exposed to car travel when as a small puppy get used to it much better. But I'd take a slow trip with the halts any day compared to one with cats
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 17:04   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
On a general note, it helps if you have a co-passenger to reduce the risk as the cats tend to come between your feet.
Absolutely. You surely need a co-passenger to control the pets.

Quote:
...But I'd take a slow trip with the halts any day compared to one with cats
You mean a quadruped cat. Right ?

Quote:
For transporting cats in a car, I have found that it is much better to let them loose inside. They will then find a spot and make themselves comfortable. Keeping them in cage leads to constant complaints!
Forget their complaints. It would be a horror story if they take a fancy to your steering wheel or pedals. I like horror stories in books and movies - not in real life. The last cat I had, jumped into the top of the steering wheel and insisted on sitting there. I learnt what real mortal fear is at that time.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 11:52   #18
BHPian

We took a round trip in our car to Bangalore from Hyderabad with our 2-month old Lab. Luckily, no issues; just that when we took a break, the puppy would take its own sweet time walking around and enjoying the breeze around. Otherwise, it was happy sitting behind with my kid.

Unfortunately, we had to give it away and now we have another 3-month old Lab now. This one seems to enjoy the drives too, but this one's more adventurous. It likes moving under the seats, on to the laps, and loves looking out the window. It especially loves to sit near the AC vent with its mouth wide open.

This might be off-topic, but just to point out the ordeals one has to face having a pet.

The major problem we've faced with the pet is finding a place to live. We had to move to a new place within the city on very short notice just last week. We looked around, both by ourselves and using MagicBricks and 99acres. Finding an individual house within our budget was a difficult task, given the time on hand. Couldn't even find a "pet-friendly" option defined on the filters of either of the sites. Of about 50+ listings we contacted/visited, only one reluctantly agreed to have a pet, provided it doesn't bark much and that we clean up after it's done its business (which is fair), and we had to finalize this only option, though the owner seems unfriendly in all other matters. At least, we find solace in the fact that our pet is with us.
Old 5th July 2019, 14:24   #19
BHPian

MOD NOTE: Copying this useful 2018 post from the Team-BHPians' Pets thread to here:

---

Hello All.

Earlier i had a query regarding train travel with a pet. We successfully completed a hassle free travel from Ahmedabad to Bangalore on 10th of July 2018. For those who plan to travel with a pet by train, the following info might be helpful.

1. Book confirmed tickets in first AC either 2 or 4 nos. In case you are travelling alone with your pet, I would suggest booking 2 tickets as there are chances of you being alloted a 2 berth coupe.

2. In first AC, berth allocation is done only 1 day prior to start of journey of the train from source. Write a request letter to the Asst Commercial Manager, Passenger reservations of your zone and hand it over in person. Most likely your request for a coupe would be met since you are travelling with a pet. In my case, the ACM called the EQ cell immediately and asked for a coupe to be blocked from Ahmedabad.

3. Wait for the SMS confirmation after chart preparation, which is 4 hours before scheduled departure of the train from boarding station. In most cases A,B,F are 4 berth cabins whereas C,D,E are 2 berth coupes (This is the case with full first class configuration, some trains have half first AC and half Second/third AC in which case the number of coupes and cabins will be less and even difficult to get). It is advised to look for full first class trains by searching on the train number. Usually H1 represents full first class, HA1 and HB1 represent half first class configuration).

4. One day prior to the date of travel, get a fitness certificate from the vet stating your dog is fit to travel and has all vaccination records updated. This is required for booking the dog as luggage and carrying him/her along with you in the compartment.
In my case, I was not aware of this and was not issued a luggage receipt. I took a chance and boarded the train as i had been alloted a 2 berth coupe. The plan was to pay the fine in case the TTE asks for luggage receipt, but none of the TTE's asked for anything.

5. Make sure you take your pet for a walk at stations where there is sufficient stoppage and also carry lot of tissues to clean up the coupe in case of accidents.

I personally do not like to take the train as it is time consuming and first AC fares are much higher than flight tickets. But there is no better way to travel with your pet along with you so we had no other choice.

Below is Bailey enjoying her train ride.

Transporting Pets within India or internationally-bailey.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th July 2019 at 14:26. Reason: Duplicating your post to this new thread :)
aditya.86 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th July 2019, 03:28   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooloovoo View Post
My oldest and youngest dogs get car sick, --SNIP--I hope you get to take your dog on lots of fun road trips
If I may clarify...

Quote:
If you're going on a long road trip, avoid feeding your dog solids for 8 hours before the trip starts.
While dogs have a higher metabolism rate than humans, it still takes 10-36+ hours for a meal to digest and for them to poop. Not feeding a dog as per their normal cycle is actually disruptive and stressful to them. After all, they don't know that you aren't feeding them because of a trip the next day. It is recommended that they are fed a lower amount at their regular time so that poo management is more convenient. Lots of fluids is recommended because they tend to pant when stressed. Consequently, so is short walks every 3-4 hours.

Quote:
An hour before you start, give him/her a Perinorm or Avomine (might need to reduce the dose to half a tab depending on the weight of the dog.
This is partially true. Never give your dogs human medicines unless you don't have a choice. Perinorm or Metoclopramide is ok for dogs, Avomine not so much. If human medicines are given, it is preferable to give pediatric equivalents. Agree on dosage regulation based on weight.

Quote:
We've found that 7-up helps their stomachs settle, and they love the taste too!
This one is debatable, based on the amount of cola/soda. Dogs specifically don't do well with caffeine and sugar. Depending on breed and size/weight, anything from a capful to a bowl can be harmful to them.

Quote:
Pets need to be tethered inside a car to limit their movement without it being uncomfortable. Kinda like wearing a seatbelt. They need to be able to sit on the seat or the floor but not be able to jump into the back or front, depending on where they are placed. Unless they are comfortable and trained to be in a cage, it isn't recommended for long rides. Afterall, when was the last time your pet was stationary, without being asleep, for 4 hours straight!
thewhiteknight is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2019, 17:26   #21

Thanks for the insightful read. I would've liked to move my pets via the coupe option but I've got seven dogs and that even narrows the available options. I recently moved them by hiring a mini truck (Tata 407) and padded the whole bay with old mattress and left some space for the water bowls. Kept the tarp half open i.e only closed from the top and open from the front and sides to have proper ventilation. I'm sure the journey in an AC coupe is far comfortable but when you have more than three pets (large dogs) then I guess road transport remains the only viable option. I would love to have a car that could pull a trailer but have no idea on who makes custom built trailers which are road legal. Also do you need to have your license remade if you're thinking of driving along with a trailer attached to your vehicle?
Jacob1000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2019, 22:37   #22
BHPian

I travelled with my family and pug from Harur to Chandigarh last weekend.
Booked 3 AC class 1 seats (would return to bite me) in TN express from Chennai to Delhi. Travelled 280kms in car with Mr Puggy on front seat. Stopped twice or thrice on the way.
On reaching Chennai Central, parcel office had no clue that dogs can be taken in 1st class. Meet the deputy station master and he cleared our doubts. However since we had a cabin, permission of 4th member was necessary AND he was sketch to dog smell
However, met few Air force jawans (salute!) who not only allowed to keep my pug with them but also played with him. Due to the parcel office goofs, had to shell 3410 as ticket for my pug.
For two nights and a full day, my pug behaved surprisingly nice. Having the coach at the end meant he had a loo break at every station. He enjoyed being the centre of attraction in the entire coach.
Took a cab from Delhi to Chandigarh where he dozed off for 6 hours flat.
Pointers:
1. Either book 2 or 4 tickets in AC class 1.
2. Show the rule book to parcel office because they have no idea about it.
3. Keep a lot of patience as it is a new experience for your dog.
4. Reach the station prior to chart formation so that you end up having a better chance of getting a coupe or a cabin.
5. Pedigree is the go to good during the journey. Keep curd handy though.
jasjotbains is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2019, 09:52   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjotbains View Post
Due to the parcel office goofs, had to shell 3410 as ticket for my pug.
On what basis did they charge you 3410/-? All railway employees are aware that pets can be transported via 1st AC. The reason they act unaware is probably to make a quick buck as they know how desperate the passengers are to make sure their pet travels with them.
aditya.86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2019, 20:56   #24
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

On a lighter note.

Transporting Pets within India or internationally-78a7c011612e4da6b73e0fdd0b390fe6.jpg

This is how the Boss Dog needs to travel.
Tgo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2019, 01:09   #25
BHPian

Hi Guys,

A friend of mine just drove from Goa to Bombay with 2 beagles.
On passing the Karnataka border they were stopped for a routine check.
On noticing the dogs at the back, the local cops asked where their cage/kennel was. When my friend told them that they did not have one and that the dogs always travelled on the last seat (Ertiga), he was told that he would have to pay a fine of Rs. 5000.00 because as per the MVA, it is not allowed to transport any animal in a motor vehicle on a highway unless it is in a proper cage.
After pleading ignorance of such a rule and doing his best to cajole the cops, he got away with a Rs. 500.00 fine.

What one would do with a large dog in a normal sedan and three passengers, I am not sure.

Just thought I should mention this here FYI.

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2019, 11:06   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Guys,

A friend of mine just drove from Goa to Bombay with 2 beagles.
On passing the Karnataka border they were stopped for a routine check.
On noticing the dogs at the back, the local cops asked where their cage/kennel was. When my friend told them that they did not have one and that the dogs always travelled on the last seat (Ertiga), he was told that he would have to pay a fine of Rs. 5000.00 because as per the MVA, it is not allowed to transport any animal in a motor vehicle on a highway unless it is in a proper cage.
After pleading ignorance of such a rule and doing his best to cajole the cops, he got away with a Rs. 500.00 fine.
Sorry to hear that but that's a one-off case. As shared earlier, we have taken our dog (and cats) across the country in our cars, and I know several others among friends and families who have done the same with their dogs.

To be particular from the rulebook perspective, I tried looking up wrt the Motor Vehicle Act but I could only find a commercial transport perspective; nothing from a personal vehicle aspect.

I'd suggest taking that experience with a pinch of salt and as a general grease-the-palm problem that exists across the country and plan as usual for your dogs.

Quote:
What one would do with a large dog in a normal sedan and three passengers, I am not sure.

Just thought I should mention this here FYI.

Regards,
SS
For a sedan, an ideal setup would be 2 persons plus a dog. Depending on the dog's personality (which will vary on a case by case basis), the dog might require just one person's place, sitting next to a human; or he might prefer an entire seat row to move from from one window to the other side (and repeat this numerous times throughout the journey). An Innova or similar car; and you can plan for more folks. You can do it in a sedan, but things might get stuffy after a while
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2019, 12:20   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
..as per the MVA, it is not allowed to transport any animal in a motor vehicle on a highway unless it is in a proper cage.

It could be applicable to a goods vehicle not for a private vehicle - Any animal activist out here, please clear the air about it, because people like to take their pets with them, be it city or highway.

They seldom keep pets in a cage - pets are like family members!

The MVA Rule 1989 mentions that the driver of a goods vehicle shall not allow any person, animal or thing to be placed or to be in the space reserved for the driver's seat or otherwise in such a way as to impede the driver having a clear vision of the road or proper control of the vehicle. (Refer to point 23 in this link).

Point 83 of MVA Rule 1989 has good information about "Carriage of animals in goods vehicle".
Old 10th July 2019, 23:00   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.86 View Post
On what basis did they charge you 3410/-? All railway employees are aware that pets can be transported via 1st AC. The reason they act unaware is probably to make a quick buck as they know how desperate the passengers are to make sure their pet travels with them.
I got a flimsy receipt for 3410 but since I had not booked my pug under parcel nor did I have a coupe, I took it with a pinch of salt and paid up. There was no other way I was gonna get him, myself AND my parents from TN to Chandigarh in under 20K (almost 2800 kms).

But given the fact that we 3 plus my pug had the entire cabin to ourselves (God bless those Jawans), seemed like a fair deal TBH
jasjotbains is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2019, 08:58   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjotbains View Post

But given the fact that we 3 plus my pug had the entire cabin to ourselves (God bless those Jawans), seemed like a fair deal TBH
As long as you can travel with you pet anything is a fair deal. Actually the coupe gets really cramped as there is hardly any space to move around.

If one has the extra money, book 4 tickets and get a cabin. Nothing better than that.
aditya.86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2019, 15:02   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Traveling via domestic flights

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Traveling via Domestic Flights

Personal Experience(s)
I have had the experience of traveling with my cat from Mumbai to Chennai via Air India, this was nearly 5 years ago.
A word of caution with taking cats on flights via the cargo option. I'll repeat myself - if you have a single cat, then opt for Air India; however if you have more than one cat and have only the cargo hold option, I'd recommend the road or train option any day. Also invest well in a decent kennel/carrier. A few examples of what could go wrong

Quote:
Flight no. AI609
Departure time: 8:30 pm.
Terminal 2 Mumbai international Airport
Lost cat :Eva Luna

My friends Atisha & Sruti were shifting to Bangalore yesterday and flying Air India with their two adorable cats Eva and Osgot. All formalities were complete and the cats were caged properly and ready to board. Atisha and Sruti then headed to go through security when an airport staff member suddenly approached Atisha asking him to come to the main desk. Once he did, they casually told him that one of his cats was lost and instead of that being the point of focus they actually called him to let him know that his ticket was now null and void and that he would not get a refund and would have to buy a new ticket if he wants to fly!! WTF? To add to their agitation the airline kept blaming them for not locking the crate properly even though everything was stamped as per procedure and approved and for those few hours the cats were, unfortunately, the airline's responsibility.

The thought of little EVA lost in an airport, or worse, ending up on the tarmac, is absolutely harrowing and heartbreaking. Please SHARE this post and tag Air India as much as you can because these guys haven't left the airport in almost 24 hours in the hopes that Eva might turn up. The Air India staff and duty manager don't seem to be very helpful and are being absolutely lackadaisical and negligent about following up on this. You trust that people care and are doing their job well, and then this happens.
Source: Link 1 | Link 2

Quote:
Hey guys, Same thing happened with me a few years ago. My mom broke all hell on Air India and forced the CCTV footage out of them for that particular day and time slot. CCTV footage showed that an attendant had opened the cage to see the cat, after which truffle ran out. We found him wandering across to the runaway for many hours where he was terrified and hiding behind a rock.
You have all the right to go there and demand footage and help from the attendants to escort you to physically go and look for her.
I really really hope you find Eva soon and that this was of some help.
Air India, shame on you.
Source: Comments on the above FB post
ninjatalli is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks