Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2019, 08:29   #31
BHPian

A falcon on the flight

Recently on my way back to Riyadh, I had the privilege of having a falcon as my co passenger. It was a five year old Gyr-Shaheen mix and had an attendant to take care of it. The attendant mentioned that the falcon had come from the Czech republic originally.

Its quite common in the middle east to see falcons as pets and I had previously held several for a couple of minutes for photo ops. But those are generally rushed affairs with one holding the falcon and posing for the photograph.

This was the first time that I could actually sit next to one for a couple of hours and see it ruffling and preening its feathers. The attendant would spray some water into the falcon's mouth once in a while. It remained hooded for the entire duration of the flight though the attendant loosened the hood once the flight was airborne.

The interesting thing was that as the plane was taking off, the bird sensed the change in air pressure and started to spread its wings and fluttered them awhile before settling down. Other than that it was fine through the flight, hooting once in a while. The attendant would stroke the plumage and its feet to calm it down.

I felt really privileged to see the bird so up close. An amazing experience.

Here are some pictures from the experience.

Transporting Pets within India or internationally-20190831_204804.jpg

Transporting Pets within India or internationally-20190831_204822.jpg

Transporting Pets within India or internationally-20190831_204826.jpg

Transporting Pets within India or internationally-20190831_205006.jpg

Transporting Pets within India or internationally-edwp3mkxuaadhs1.jpg
Maveryq is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th May 2022, 08:49   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Transporting Pets within India or internationally

I was on board Chennai - LTT Superfast Express last month, and was witness to a very strange sight. The train rolled into Pune Jn. and I'd gotten off to grab something to eat. I returned to my 2AC coach just before the train moved, and what do I see? A golden retriever (GR) with his owners (a young boy and a girl) inside the coach. They apparently had tickets but didn't know that pets weren't allowed in a 2AC coach.

The TTE was quite decent in not slapping a penalty on them. He told them that they could not travel with the pet in the 2AC coach, and that they should de-train at Lonavla (not a scheduled stop though). The duo with GR then moved to the adjacent unreserved coach, stood at the vestibule, and got off at Lonavla, where the train made an unscheduled halt. Respecting their privacy, I didn't take pics of the duo and the pet, but here is a representative pic (credit to the owner of the pic).

A golden retriever in a 1AC coach(sample pic)
Name:  GR_intrain.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  53.0 KB
vigsom is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed