Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2016, 13:12   #1591
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
the law and order situation in TN is very stable. People are out there on the street, but there is large scale violence or rioting.
I think you meant to say that there has been no large scale violence or rioting.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2016, 19:30   #1592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1 View Post
Just wishing that NH66 completes sooner. There is day and night difference between driving on NH vs SH.
According to NHAI website it seems that NH66 has been completed.
This is the detail that I can find on the website.

2-Laning of Krishnagiri-Tindivanam (Approved Length 170 Km.)
Km. 37.6 to Km. 214.11 Tamil Nadu

Completed in Dec 2016.

I will going to Pondicherry tomorrow and am wondering whether I should take the NH66.
Old 16th December 2016, 20:03   #1593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayankm View Post

That'll be good news to many, if true. Please do update us on the actual situation basis your experience tomorrow.

Last edited by ampere : 19th December 2016 at 07:49. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 17th December 2016, 22:29   #1594
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is the detail that I can find on the website.
You can try this route mentioned above. Earlier the major hickup was between krishnagiri and mathur for which people went via singarapettai, tiruppattur,bargur to krishnagiri
Hopefully the old route proves to be the trusted route

Last edited by ampere : 19th December 2016 at 07:49. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 18th December 2016, 00:00   #1595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
You can try this route mentioned above. Earlier the major hickup was between krishnagiri and mathur for which people went via singarapettai, tiruppattur,bargur to krishnagiri
Hopefully the old route proves to be the trusted route
I wanted to try this route today but had to take the one through Vellore - Arcot - Tindivanam because of some work. The NH is an absolute pleasure to drive on. I could easily do good speeds in my Eon.

The SH5 is really bad at places. My car got into 2 potholes so nasty that I was afraid to drive beyond 60kmph. Plus too many scooties, bikes with helmet less people makes it a hazardous one.

I will take the shorter route (the one I had mentioned earlier) on my way back on 19th and report here. Hopefully it will be a good experience.

Last edited by ampere : 19th December 2016 at 07:50. Reason: Removed high speed mentions
ayankm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 23:41   #1596
BHPian

Came back from Pondicherry to Bangalore today and took the shorter NH77. In the morning I was checking the routes on Google maps and the route through Vellore showed a time of 7hrs 45mins. Also I wanted to check the road conditions for the sake of reporting back here.

The beginning of NH77 was really good and raised my hopes of a quick and painless journey ahead.
However, for long stretches the road conditions are not up to mark and there are 100-200m stretches of untarred roads which are enough to test the suspension of your car. On stretches where road is good, you can easily drive at 90-100.

On the whole about 70% of the road is good and rest is really really bad. The good news is, work is underway to mend the road and widen it.

My suggestion would be to avoid this road for the time being and take the longer route through Vellore.
ayankm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th December 2016, 07:03   #1597
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
On the whole about 70% of the road is good and rest is really really bad. The good news is, work is underway to mend the road and widen it.

My suggestion would be to avoid this road for the time being and take the longer route through Vellore.
Thanks for the update! Overall, there seems to be some improvement on few stretches but still it is better to avoid till the work is completed on all stretches. Even earlier, it was a similar story - great short stretches of tarmac, huge craters that can take you by surprise and a bone jarring ride at some places.
So, is that NHAI update not reflecting the truth or is it only claiming part of the highway has been relaid ?

Last edited by NPV : 20th December 2016 at 07:05.
Old 20th December 2016, 20:57   #1598
BHPian

Can anyone let me know about the condition of SH-49 from Pondicherry to Mahabalipuram?
What would be the best route and how long will it take to cover the distance. It will be my first trip to TN hence quite apprehensive about the language barrier.
Old 20th December 2016, 21:26   #1599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
Can anyone let me know about the condition of SH-49 from Pondicherry to Mahabalipuram?
What would be the best route and how long will it take to cover the distance. It will be my first trip to TN hence quite apprehensive about the language barrier.
SH49 or the more popularly known as ECR is quite good in terms of road condition. Smooth tarmac all the way to mahabalipuram. I just drove through yesterday. One thing to keep in mind though is that the pondicherry - mahabalipuram stretch is not too wide and if you are driving after dark it can be a pain as most people don't understand the concept of high beam and low beam. There are no diversions anywhere so language barrier should not be a problem. Distance is close to 100 kms and should take about 90 minutes or so.
zombiedriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2016, 22:43   #1600
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would suggest you not to drive on the ECR post 6 PM. Reason being road is full of twists and turns and people drive like maniacs that includes the state govt buses as well
I think work is also going on in making this a 4 lane road. So exercise caution while driving on this road
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2016, 08:56   #1601
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiedriver View Post
One thing to keep in mind though is that the pondicherry - mahabalipuram stretch is not too wide and if you are driving after dark it can be a pain as most people don't understand the concept of high beam and low beam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
I would suggest you not to drive on the ECR post 6 PM.
Thanks for your suggestion guys. I am not considering to drive in the night will be driving after breakfast only. But i read that the road is haunted in the night and the beach adjoining it is haunted by fisherman who got washed away in Tsunami. Read on, link below, to know what i am saying.
http://www.chennaimemes.in/2016/03/w...places-in.html

Ohh boy if this is true why would anyone drive in the night.
Old 21st December 2016, 10:57   #1602
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for your suggestion guys. I am not considering to drive in the night will be driving after breakfast only. But i read that the road is haunted in the night and the beach adjoining it is haunted by fisherman who got washed away in Tsunami. Read on, link below, to know what i am saying.
http://www.chennaimemes.in/2016/03/w...places-in.html

Ohh boy if this is true why would anyone drive in the night.
Very sensible choice. I have tried to dissuade people from doing so at night, however nobody listens.
Without any understanding, they just call this mumbo jumbo. But it is not. This is not like a simple ghost story. Technically speaking, its not the fishermen who haunt this highway. However, the Tsunami part of your post is correct.
You see, Earthquakes are movements of techtonic plates. The fault lines are sources of great power, and the life force of the planet channels through this. The Tsunami caused a great rift, and opened up a level 3 portal.
Level 3 portals are visual and auditory portals. Light and sound only. So no entity can harm you physically. However, imagine you are driving, and you something suddenly in your way. Won't you panic?
This is the risk of driving. If you were walking on this route at night, I would say "Go ahead". you will be startled and scared. But driving? The danger of losing control is very high.

However, I also have to warn you about one thing. Do not drive during the time a solar eclipse is happening anywhere on the planet. Solar eclipses lend these portals with a power to overcome sunlight. Imagine the portal as a weak flashlight. Not visible in sunlight. However, solar eclipse is like a sudden 9V battery applied to make the flashlight bright enough to be visible for a moment.

If you must drive at the same time a solar eclipse is taking place, make sure you are wearing polarized sunglasses. They will protect you from Visual component. Auditory anyways is not active or supercharged during daylight, so no need of loud music or earplugs.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 21st December 2016 at 11:04.
tsk1979 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th December 2016, 02:21   #1603
BHPian

Can anyone suggest which is the best way to opt for, i need to travel to pondicherry from Bangalore (Indiranagar) on tuesday for a three day trip.

It's been just two months since i shifted over here from Noida. As per the fellow Bhpians, i have to follow:
Hosur-Krishnagiri-Ambur-Vellore-Vandavasi-Tindivanam-Pondicherry

But Google suggests me:
Krishnagiri - Chengam-Tiruvannamalai-Tindivanam-Pondicherry

So I'm confused. Suggestions or any other advice since i will be driving on this route for the first time.
Old 25th December 2016, 14:23   #1604
BHPian

Follow the first route with no qualms. The 2nd route although a bit shorter in distance will test your patience longer. Not recommended.
jphukan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2016, 15:24   #1605
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post
Hosur-Krishnagiri-Ambur-Vellore-Vandavasi-Tindivanam-Pondicherry
Stick to this, its the tried & tested route.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks