Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2010, 11:42   #166
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Well I am starting today evening, so I should be having an update on the route. I am taking the following route.

Blore - Krishnagiri - Vellore - Kanchipuram - Chengalpattu - Tindivanam - Pondy
Got a twitter a/c? I'd follow you then for live updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dish View Post
Thanks for the updates. I will be doing Bangalore - Pondy trip on 24th. Will be taking Bangalore - Vellore - Kanchipuram - Pondy route. This seems to be the least pot holed route !!
/me too will follow the same route, starting early morning (6) tomorrow. Got a T-BHP sticker I can look for?

Or we can be on Waze too :-)
Old 23rd December 2010, 12:00   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kousik View Post
Got a twitter a/c? I'd follow you then for live updates.

/me too will follow the same route, starting early morning (6) tomorrow. Got a T-BHP sticker I can look for?

Or we can be on Waze too :-)
tbhp sticker also there on my car "I Drive Safe"

I got a twitter account "hirakdas" but i doubt i can update it so fast.

It would be better to track me on Google Latitude you can add me as a friend. Google account "hirak.das@gmail.com"
Old 23rd December 2010, 12:21   #168
BHPian

I am leaving tomorrow and gng on the same route.
I will be on a tjet so can be recognised easily.
Old 23rd December 2010, 12:56   #169
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
There is Arya's in Vellore on the highway itself. Its below one of the bridges on the left side when coming from Bangalore and on the right when coming from Chennai. It is extremely good. Another choice is Motel deepam highway just before pallikonda tollgate. Their spellings might be hilarious(gopi fry) but food is tasty and does not cause any after effects
Thats the issue with Hotel Arya. Though its visible, but by the time you approach you are going past. Unless you dont know about the place, you wont out of the highway.
Old 23rd December 2010, 15:27   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranarula View Post
How much time it took for you on this route ?

Total time taken from Pondicherry to Bangalore was 9 hours.

7.5 hours driving + 1 hour Mahabalipuram sightseeing + 1/2 hour for Snacks, tea, etc.
Old 23rd December 2010, 18:37   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thats the issue with Hotel Arya. Though its visible, but by the time you approach you are going past. Unless you dont know about the place, you wont out of the highway.
I guess that is the exit to Katpadi town, the directions for which are clearly marked in both directions. Can anyone confirm?
Old 23rd December 2010, 22:02   #172
BHPian

Hi Guys, Just back from Chidambaram and Pondy trip.

While going from Bangalore to Chidambaram took the following route:-

Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Bargur-Tirpattur-Chengam-Tiruvannamalai-Tirkoyilur-Panruti-Vadalur-Chidambaram.

The Chengam to Tiruvannamalai is horrible. Tiruvannamalai-Tirkoyilur is a breeze and again after that its a mixed bag. Over all my opinion is that this route should be avoided.

On the way back took the Chidambaram-Cuddalore-Pondy-Kalpakkam -Chengalpet-Kanchipuram-Vellore-Krishnagiri-Bangalore route. It is around 430 kms. But this is the best route to travel though we travel around 80 kms more. This route is anyday better than

Very few bad stretches with a lot of speed breakers between Kalpakkam-Chengalpet-Kanchipuram. Overall its a pleasure to drive on this route.

Hope this helps
Old 24th December 2010, 10:01   #173
Senior - BHPian

hey folks a quick update from pondy. Reached early morning 2am after starting at 6pm from blore.

Route taken was kanchi, chengalpattu, tindivanam, pondy. Overall a pretty decent and fast route. Actual drive time of 6.5hrs for 430kms. Just the kanchi-chengallpattu section we need to slow down due to sudden potholes and bad roads. GPS works great in this section. I was using nokia ovi.
Old 26th December 2010, 10:02   #174
BHPian

Slight change in plans - bypassed Pondi and leaving direct for Chidambaram tomorrow. Based on inputs from this forum planning to route as under :
Bangalore - Krishnagiri - Bargur - Tirupattur - Singarapettai - Chengam - Tiruvannamalai - Tirukkoyilur - Panruti - Anaivari - Chidambaram.

Would appreciate any feedback on latest road conditions esp Bargur - Singarapettai and Panruti - Chidambaram.
Old 27th December 2010, 09:39   #175
Senior - BHPian

Came back yesterday from my Pondi trip. Took the following route both the ways:

Bangalore - Krishnagiri - Vellore - Kanchipuram - Chengalpattu - Tindivanam - Pondi

Road Conditions:

1. Banglaore - Kanchipuram: This is part of the golden quadrilateral and hence superb road conditions. However, post Krishnagiri there is no proper eating joint if travelling with family.

2. Kanchipuram - Chengalpattu: This 35kms is a state highway which is not maintained properly. From Kanchi to Wajalabad is bad with sudden potholes and speed breakers that have pot holes on either of its side

From Wajalabad to Chengalpattu NH45 the condition improves and you can maintain 60kph at night or 70-80kph in day.

3. Chengalpattu NH45 to Tindivanam: Good old NH45, nicely maintained but the main problem is traffic, too much traffic in day and moderate traffic during night.

4. Tindivanam to Pondi NH66: Need to be slightly careful when approaching Tindivanam as you need to get off the NH45 New Bypass and then take a left at the next circle. This part of the NH66 is 95% complete but slight sections outskirts of Tindivanam & Pondy not made. Beware of the layers on the road.

Overall Kms: 430
Driving Time: 6.5hrs Night time; 7.5hrs Day Time (I would prefer night )
Total Toll Booths: 5
Old 27th December 2010, 11:15   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
1. Banglaore - Kanchipuram: This is part of the golden quadrilateral and hence superb road conditions. However, post Krishnagiri there is no proper eating joint if travelling with family.
After Krishnagiri/Chinnar A2B, the next best eat out place is only in Vellore. Vellore has good number of restaurants and options, so don't have to wait until you reach Kanchipuram.

-Ravi
Old 27th December 2010, 23:02   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by modthomas View Post
Slight change in plans - bypassed Pondi and leaving direct for Chidambaram tomorrow. Based on inputs from this forum planning to route as under :
Bangalore - Krishnagiri - Bargur - Tirupattur - Singarapettai - Chengam - Tiruvannamalai - Tirukkoyilur - Panruti - Anaivari - Chidambaram.

Would appreciate any feedback on latest road conditions esp Bargur - Singarapettai and Panruti - Chidambaram.
Did the route today. Road conditions pretty much as expected thanks to feedback on the forum. Bangalore - Bargur - foggy but good, Bargur - Singarapettai, first half average, second half better - Singarapettai - TVM - terrible, TVM town abysmal, scraped the i20 a couple of times in the ruts, and got front ended by a clown in Piaggio 3 wheeler who was unable to climb onto a motherless speed breaker and blithely reversed without looking back. Was stuck with an ST bus behind me, so honked and yelled to glory, but to no avail. Neat crack on the front bumper with the front fog light dislocated. TVM to Tirukkolyilur was the only good stretch of state highway that we saw, thereafter Panruti and all the way to Chidambaram was only barely okay.
The recent rains seem to have played havoc with all the small roads in TN. Will have to carefully plan my route back from Kumbakonam, am inclined to wend my way to NH7 and get back from there.
Old 27th December 2010, 23:48   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did the route today. Road conditions pretty much as expected thanks to feedback on the forum. Bangalore - Bargur - foggy but good, Bargur - Singarapettai, first half average, second half better - Singarapettai - TVM - terrible, TVM town abysmal, scraped the i20 a couple of times in the ruts, and got front ended by a clown in Piaggio 3 wheeler who was unable to climb onto a motherless speed breaker and blithely reversed without looking back. Was stuck with an ST bus behind me, so honked and yelled to glory, but to no avail. Neat crack on the front bumper with the front fog light dislocated. TVM to Tirukkolyilur was the only good stretch of state highway that we saw, thereafter Panruti and all the way to Chidambaram was only barely okay.
The recent rains seem to have played havoc with all the small roads in TN. Will have to carefully plan my route back from Kumbakonam, am inclined to wend my way to NH7 and get back from there.
Its best sticking with these expressways such as NH7 or 45 or 46, even though traffic you will avoid hurting the car.
Old 28th December 2010, 00:34   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Sad to hear the damage. TVM is pure offroading experience

You should definitely look at NH7
Old 28th December 2010, 07:58   #180
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I think there is no Tirukkolyilur by-pass. The girivalam path I think is only for NH66 by-pass. For Tirukkolyilur you need to get into the town, which is a sorry experience.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks