Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2018, 08:34   #1786
Distinguished - BHPian
 
procrj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,601
Thanked: 4,072 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSAneesh View Post
early morning from Bangalore North (Hebbal)
Do you plan to drive through the city to get to Hosur road? if yes, then do check status of white topping etc. near madivala before you decide. Alternate is Taj Vivanta Yeshwantpur - Ring Road - BTM - Silk board. or NICE.
Quote:
Hosur-Krishnagiri-Vellore-Arcot-Tindivanam-Pondy) - the most preferred route on TBHP , hope it still is
Still is the most preferred route and roads are all good based on inputs from a few friends who did this last month. Do check this post (Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries) for details of the bypass that you can take to minimize driving through towns.
Quote:
Fuel filling points enroute and within Pondy , any good ones close to Le Pondy?
Loads of options till Arcot hence should not be a problem. In pondy, I usually fill at the below IOCL COCO outlet and haven't had any issues in the past https://goo.gl/maps/Mh2gKBNua3x
Quote:
Any updates on the straight route via Tiruvannamalai
I think the last update was that some sections are still under construction. Not sure about current conditions. Would suggest you stick to the standard route for a comfortable drive.
Quote:
Considering the stay at Le Pondy which of the routes would be advisable to minimize city traffic
https://goo.gl/maps/4re3d7fNDKJ2 That should be the best route. Dont take the route google suggest as it will take you through a narrow road which was not in great shape when I drove last year. Google does this because of flyover constructions on the most direct route via RTO office.

Quote:
Good places in Pondy around Le Pondy for quick visits , want to avoid getting struck in city traffic.
Le Pondy is outside Pondy and is perfect place if you want to go there and chill. If the plan is to visit promenade and other tourist haunts in pondy, then you have to drive into the city. Driving into the city is not bad as traffic is much more saner vis a vis Bangalore.

I have been visiting Le Pondy for the last 4 years and if you need more details, do check this post.
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2018, 17:46   #1787
BHPian
 
MSAneesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 147
Thanked: 121 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
I have been visiting Le Pondy for the last 4 years and if you need more details, do check this post.
Thank you very much procrj for the detailed reply !!
MSAneesh is offline  
Old 13th February 2018, 21:50   #1788
Newbie
 
rsarunkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Took the Bengaluru - Vellore - Arcot - Thindivanam - Pondicherry route couple of days ago, and it's as good as ever. The total distance on the speedo was 390 km, starting from Basavangudi to NICE Road, and out. The total drive time was 6 hours, and the new boots of my Amaze was splendid. Got Continental Conti Comfort 5, 185/70/R14
Returned today via Mahabalipuram. Pondicherry to Mahabalipuram on the ECR, which is also good to very good road.
Post Five Rathas, shore temple and butter ball, the drive to Bengaluru was via Mahabalipuram - Kanchipuram road - Vellore - Byepass onto the National Highway, 60 km before Vellore. Google maps on all the way till the Highway!
Total travelled - 478 km (Pondi to home!)
rsarunkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2018, 17:08   #1789
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 23
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Just came back from a trip to Pondy. The Thiruvannamalai route is good now the road is all patched up and some sections are re-laid. It took exactly 6 hours (not accounting the breaks) from Pondy (French quarters) to Bangalore (HSR layout) just as suggested by Google maps for a distance of 307 kms. Being a mid working day there is hardly any traffic. Hope this information is useful to the members

Itinerary details

BLR To Pondy:
BLR (HSR) --> Vellore --> Arcot --> Cheyyur --> Vandavasi --> Tindivanam --> Pondy (white town)
Start time: 6:50AM Arrival time: 2:40PM, Travel time: 7hr 10min, break time: 40mins
Petrol filling: 20 minutes, Another short tea break: 20 minutes
Route is scenic, with shady trees and smooth roads. Google maps automatically routed through bypass roads in Cheyyur, Vandavasi and Tindivanam towns

Pondy to BLR:
Pondy (white town)-->Tindivanam-->Gingee-->Thirvannamalai-->Krishnagiri-->BLR (HSR)
Start time: 8:05AM, Arrival time: 2:45PM, Travel time: 6 hrs, Breaktime: 40 minutes
Had lunch break in Sree saravana bhavan on salem road (8 minute detour from Krishnagiri)
The road is good now, hardly any traffic (may be because of mid week). Google took right through the towns of Tindivanam and Thiruvannamalai and there were lot of 2 wheelers in these towns - need to drive carefully. This route clearly saved more than 1 hour of drive time and approx 150rs in tolls.

Last edited by vsatish : 27th February 2018 at 17:11.
vsatish is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th February 2018, 18:38   #1790
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,240
Thanked: 1,227 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsatish View Post

Pondy to BLR:
Pondy (white town)-->Tindivanam-->Gingee-->Thirvannamalai-->Krishnagiri-->BLR (HSR)
Start time: 8:05AM, Arrival time: 2:45PM, Travel time: 6 hrs, Breaktime: 40 minutes
Had lunch break in Sree saravana bhavan on salem road (8 minute detour from Krishnagiri)
The road is good now, hardly any traffic (may be because of mid week). Google took right through the towns of Tindivanam and Thiruvannamalai and there were lot of 2 wheelers in these towns - need to drive carefully. This route clearly saved more than 1 hour of drive time and approx 150rs in tolls.
Just to reconfirm explicitly, are you saying Thiruvannamalai-Krishnagiri roads via chengam is good now? That will be a total surprise, because few months back people mentioned the road is motorable but still not good due to surprise potholes/a feet down uneven road surfaces etc.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2018, 19:54   #1791
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 23
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Yes that is right through Chengam and Thiruvannamalai. The road is good and all through the journey we encountered just one pathole. However the road is not safe in the dark; there is no proper markings, line dividers etc. and the the traffic is very sparse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Just to reconfirm explicitly, are you saying Thiruvannamalai-Krishnagiri roads via chengam is good now? That will be a total surprise, because few months back people mentioned the road is motorable but still not good due to surprise potholes/a feet down uneven road surfaces etc.

-Ravi
vsatish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2018, 22:08   #1792
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 388
Thanked: 755 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsatish View Post
Yes that is right through Chengam and Thiruvannamalai. The road is good and all through the journey we encountered just one pathole. However the road is not safe in the dark; there is no proper markings, line dividers etc. and the the traffic is very sparse.
Even i used the same route yesterday. Took 5.5 hours to reach e.city snd then 1 hour to reach home in HSR. It is very much motorable now. The only pain point is driving through the towns.
m8002? is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2018, 22:48   #1793
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 6,449
Thanked: 7,905 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsatish View Post
Just came back from a trip to Pondy. The Thiruvannamalai route is good now the road is all patched up and some sections are re-laid.
...
Google maps automatically routed through bypass roads in Cheyyur, Vandavasi and Tindivanam towns
Thanks for the update on this route.
Did gmaps by default suggest these 2 different routes for your onward and return journeys or did you specifically choose the Arcot-vandavasi route for onward journey ?
NPV is offline  
Old 28th February 2018, 07:38   #1794
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 16,952
Thanked: 11,019 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

I dont know why for the bigger towns (Tindivanam, Tiruvannamalai) they never even thought of providing bypsass options.

Tindivanam just has an option for Vandavasi but not for Tiruvannamalai.
ampere is offline  
Old 13th April 2018, 12:28   #1795
BHPian
 
pavan_jacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 88
Thanked: 38 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

I have a trip to Pondi scheduled end of this month. Basis the recent updates, the Tiruvannamalai route is said to be good now. Wondering if i should take this route or the ambur -vellore one... Any further inputs fellow bhpians?
pavan_jacob is offline  
Old 13th April 2018, 13:16   #1796
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,240
Thanked: 1,227 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavan_jacob View Post
I have a trip to Pondi scheduled end of this month. Basis the recent updates, the Tiruvannamalai route is said to be good now. Wondering if i should take this route or the ambur -vellore one... Any further inputs fellow bhpians?
My colleague travels to Pondy (his native) twice a month. He stopped taking Vellore/Arcot route or even Bargur/Singarapettai route recently.

As per him, the route via Chengam/Tiruvannamalai is driveable if you keep the speedometer below 100 and drive carefully in day time (not advisable in night). There are occasional potholes or minor construction work till Chengam, but still manageable and doesn't warrant to take a long detour in other routes. Time wise, both will be more or less same, just that you are not speeding high in this age old route.

-Ravi

Last edited by ravib : 13th April 2018 at 13:18.
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2018, 13:17   #1797
Distinguished - BHPian
 
paragsachania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 6,578
Thanked: 22,076 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Even one bhpian crazyfordriving has messaged me to say that the then usual Thiruvanamali route to Pondicherry has now become better. So reading few of you say that here, it might make sense to start suggesting this route now.

Earlier even google suggested the Arcot - Tindivanam - Vandavasi and when I last drove in July, it was good as rest of you mentioned with no complaints at all.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2018, 13:23   #1798
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 6,449
Thanked: 7,905 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
So reading few of you say that here, it might make sense to start suggesting this route now.
A friend who traveled recently on the route mentioned that day time drives are manageable, but evening/night time drives can be avoided as some small stretches can get you by surprise.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2018, 13:29   #1799
Distinguished - BHPian
 
paragsachania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 6,578
Thanked: 22,076 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
A friend who traveled recently on the route mentioned that day time drives are manageable, but evening/night time drives can be avoided as some small stretches can get you by surprise.
Makes complete sense not so because the road would be bad but people will have t start getting used to like any other new road and surprises .

Secondly, 2 lane roads will have more surprises than 4 - Narrow Culverts, Speedbreakers, Blind curves, Potholes ; Because these are toll free .
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2018, 13:46   #1800
BHPian
 
pavan_jacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 88
Thanked: 38 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Makes complete sense not so because the road would be bad but people will have t start getting used to like any other new road and surprises .

Secondly, 2 lane roads will have more surprises than 4 - Narrow Culverts, Speedbreakers, Blind curves, Potholes ; Because these are toll free .
Makes sense! The former route it is then. Thank you !
pavan_jacob is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks