Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2018, 18:34   #1801
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Couple of quick questions about our upcoming trip to Pondy this weekend. Which of the following routes can be considered? Any known issues recently driving with KA registered vehicle? I guess everything is calm as of now. Also info on good restaurants for pitstop on the route will be helpful.

Route 1: BLR-->Vellore-->Arcot-->Cheyyur-->Vandavasi-->Tindivanam--> Pondy
Route 2: Pondy-->Tindivanam-->Gingee-->Thirvannamalai-->Krishnagiri-->BLR

We will be staying in a Beach Villa @ Pillaichavady. Any good restaurants/bakeries around the place? I'll be selfish and ask for good Veg options outlets, as my meat eating friends will survive somehow
Old 25th April 2018, 10:36   #1802
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil_KP View Post
Couple of quick questions about our upcoming trip to Pondy this weekend. Which of the following routes can be considered? Any known issues recently driving with KA registered vehicle? I guess everything is calm as of now. Also info on good restaurants for pitstop on the route will be helpful.

We will be staying in a Beach Villa @ Pillaichavady. Any good restaurants/bakeries around the place? I'll be selfish and ask for good Veg options outlets, as my meat eating friends will survive somehow
For your onward journey, Take ROUTE 1 mentioned by you. No issues with KA registered cars. May be , if time permits, you can try the below route for the return journey.

Via Tindivanam, Gingee, T V Malai, Chengam, Singarapettai, Tirupattur, Bargur, Krishnagiri and Hosur
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2018, 11:39   #1803
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Route 1 has been the default route for the last few years since Route 2 was in shambles.

I would suggest take Route 1 both ways for a relaxed drive.

Route 2 has improved now and is manageable with new surface at most places, but would suggest avoiding for a late evening/night drive (in case you plan to start your return late, avoid this route).

Quote:
I'll be selfish and ask for good Veg options outlets, as my meat eating friends will survive somehow
Inside Pondicherry town, Hotel Surguru is a good Pure Veg. option. There is also an A2B near the Ashram inside town.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2018, 12:36   #1804
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We will be staying in a Beach Villa @ Pillaichavady. Any good restaurants/bakeries around the place?
Second NPV's mention on Suguru being good food option in Pondi (pic). However, place of your stay is far from town center.

I am not sure of any hotels there apart from those in Auroville and Tanto Pizzas enroute.
mpksuhas is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2018, 14:40   #1805
BHPian

Quote:

Pillaichavady is about 10 km to the north of the main Pondy town. Unfortunately there are no vegetarian restaurants of repute around the area. You can either choose to take food from the resort where you are staying or come down to Pondy main town

As suggested above, Surguru is a good option. I would also recommend Jayaram's and try Zuka (Chocolate shop ) https://www.google.com/maps/place/ZUKA+Cake+and+Dessert+Shop/@11.9280743,79.8275256,16.96z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x3a5363d546bc2a43:0xb59c8573f8479 ebf!8m2!3d11.9298802!4d79.8302302
Old 28th April 2018, 13:21   #1806
BHPian

Hello.

I will be driving down from Goa to pondicherry via Bangalore tomorrow. This thread has been of immense help in deciding the route.

I will be taking the recommended route of BLR-->Vellore-->Arcot-->Cheyyur-->Vandavasi-->Tindivanam--> Pondy

Will halt for the night in Bangalore tomorrow and then continue towards pondi on the 30th. Being an election season are there any rallies/ police checkpoints that can slow down our journey?

Another thing, since i could find a proper thread for this, We will not be returning back to Bangalore but will continue from pondy to ooty. Which route should i take from pondicherry to ooty? Google shows me this map:
Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries-pondi-ooty-route.jpg

Is this route OK or there is another quicker route?

Thanks!
Old 29th April 2018, 20:58   #1807
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
Hello.

Being an election season are there any rallies/ police checkpoints that can slow down our journey?

Which route should i take from pondicherry to ooty? Google shows me this map:

Is this route OK or there is another quicker route?

Thanks!
Though its election season in KA, nothing much to worry as long as you don't carry heavy loads of cash.

From Pondy to Ooty, the route suggested by Google Maps is good. Go for it.
Pondy-Villupuram-Ulundurpet-Attur-Salem-Erode-Avinashi-Mettupalayam-Ooty. Please do note that stretch between Ulundurpet to Salem, the road alternates between 4L to 2L frequently so watch out carefully. Its not a full 4L load.

Pondy-Villupuram stretech and Mettupalayam-Ooty hill climb will be heavy traffic. Obviously needless to say Ooty will be super crowded so expect mega traffic jams. Am not scaring you, but have had enough experience that causes severe delays, so plan your time accordingly.

As you are traveling from Goa (coastal area) to Ooty, don't forget to carry sun cream lotion, to reduce getting tanned.

-Ravi
Old 2nd May 2018, 11:32   #1808
BHPian

Hello Folks,

A update - i did Blore - Pondy over the weekend. Left on Saturday morning around 5.30am. Upto Krishnagiri there was traffic thanks to the long weekend. There was no congestion, i was at 100+ speeds, but there were just way too many cars on the road. I decided to check at Krishnagiri whether to take the route via Vellore or take the ( shortest) route suggested by google maps. Thankfully decided to go by the first option and happy to report the drive was amazing. From the heavy congestion, all of a sudden the 6 lane highway seemed almost deserted. The drive was amazing, it was longer, but eventually we took the same time and reached Pondy at around 11:30. Reducing a breakfast stop of 30 mins, we took a total time of around 5.5hrs.

Don't think twice, use the route via vellore
pavan_jacob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2018, 13:43   #1809
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavan_jacob View Post
Don't think twice, use the route via vellore
From the time the route via Tiruvannamalai was in shambles few years ago, the longer route has been standard for folks heading to Pondicherry. Also, since the towns have bypasses, it will be overall faster and you also get 4 laned roads till Arcot.
Recently, many of the sections on the Tiruvannamalai route have been resurfaced/widened but not yet a good choice for evening/night drives and it remains as undivided 2 laned roads.

Overall, the 2 laned route though shorter will take more time. Only other thing is you can save on couple of tolls and is really not worth it.

Last edited by NPV : 2nd May 2018 at 13:44.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2018, 15:02   #1810
BHPian

Guys,

I am driving to Pondicherry this weekend, and understand from the Previous posts that Arcot - Vandavasi - Pondy is the prefferred route. However I need to make a pitstop at Villupuram, hows the road between Vellore - Arani - Gingee - Villupuram ? Has anyone tested this recently ?
Old 18th June 2018, 16:40   #1811

Hi,

I just finished the Pondy trip in Scorpio.

The routes I have taken are here

Onward (Weekday) : BLR-->Vellore-->Arcot-->Cheyyur-->Vandavasi-->Tindivanam--> Pondy (Started at 12PM)

It took 8 hours approximately for my relaxed driving. Route is good except the vandavasi stretch, Rain water channel work is going on and you will be seeing many diversions continuously for at least for 5-7 kms stretch. This route is good for night driving as well.

You need to be slightly careful when you are passing through the Thindivanam town. Road is very narrow and full of people and vehicles.

Return (Weekend Sunday): Pondy-->Tindivanam-->Gingee-->Thirvannamalai-->Krishnagiri-->BLR (started at 2.30 PM)

It took 7 hrs including the 25 minutes at Krishnagiri toll. Roads are good and newly done. Night driving is tough after thiruvannamalai till Krishnagiri.

Breakfast / Lunch /Dinner options are available at Thiruvannamalai. I stopped at A2B. Which is 3 kms diversion from the main route.

Happy and Safe Driving
raghp74 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2018, 21:18   #1812
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghp74 View Post
You need to be slightly careful when you are passing through the Thindivanam town. Road is very narrow and full of people and vehicles.
I think you missed the bypass: Route Link

Its pretty much seamless to use it.
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2018, 21:36   #1813
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think you missed the bypass: Route Link

Its pretty much seamless to use it.
I did the same mistake to miss the by-pass and ended up going inside the Thindivanam town.
At that time, i was not aware of the by-pass and thanks to ampere for enlightening the forum as usual

-Ravi
Old 18th June 2018, 21:51   #1814
Team-BHP Support

Its been there for some years now. And the credit to find that does not go to me but J-Ravi who posted about it in detail some years back. You will find it if you search for it in this same thread.

The problem is at the bypass entrance when coming from Vandavasi, it says Madras to left and Tindivinam straight. Most get fooled by that and hence end up into the town.

The idea is to take the bypass to the 4-lane, hit the Chenna-Trichy 4-lane and then drive toward Trichy side to hit the Pondicherry exit. Its pretty easy.

Last edited by ampere : 18th June 2018 at 22:31.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2018, 13:53   #1815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghp74 View Post
Hi,

Onward (Weekday) : BLR-->Vellore-->Arcot-->Cheyyur-->Vandavasi-->Tindivanam--> Pondy (Started at 12PM)

It took 8 hours approximately for my relaxed driving. Route is good except the vandavasi stretch, Rain water channel work is going on and you will be seeing many diversions continuously for at least for 5-7 kms stretch. This route is good for night driving as well.

Return (Weekend Sunday): Pondy-->Tindivanam-->Gingee-->Thirvannamalai-->Krishnagiri-->BLR (started at 2.30 PM)

It took 7 hrs including the 25 minutes at Krishnagiri toll. Roads are good and newly done. Night driving is tough after thiruvannamalai till Krishnagiri.
I second that wrt time. Returned last night from Puducherry. My onward journey from Blr (from Malleswaram) was via Gingee. We left home at 8:40 AM on Saturday and reached reached Pondy MG road by 3 PM including a 30 min break @ Mcdonald.

Return journey was via the Vellore route. We left MG road at 3:15 pm and reached home at 11 PM. This included 2 small stops and one stop for dinner. Total time of stoppage was 90 min. All in all both the routes take the same time but the Vellore route was longer by nearly 40 KM. Some how both felt equally tiring. Then again, we departed on a Saturday morning with reasonably less tariff and self being fresh. Return journey was late in the evening and after lot of time spent under the hot sun in sultry conditions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks