Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 21st August 2018, 17:23   #1846
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
This is going to be my first drive to Pondicherry. Google suggests the below route, is this the preferred route being discussed here ?

MaSh
Since this happens to be your first drive, I would suggest you to go via Hosur, Krishnagiri, Ambur, Vellore, Arcot, Cheyyar, Vandavasi and Tindivanam. No second thoughts about this route.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 18:13   #1847
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
this the preferred route being discussed here ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
No second thoughts about this route.
I think the route suresh suggested has taken a battering over time. do check this post for details and then decide.

IMHO, if you are driving a car than can handle the potholes and plan to start early, I would suggest you stick to Arcot - Tindivanam as I still feel its the faster and more stress free route. Do make a note of the bypasses you can use to ensure you dont get stuck in town traffic (check earlier pages of this thread for detailed gmap links)
procrj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 21:14   #1848
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is going to be my first drive to Pondicherry. Google suggests the below route, is this the preferred route being discussed here ?

Take the Arcot- Thindivanam route. It is stress free till Arcot. Did the same route in June, there were a few diversions but generally good.

Time taken 5:30 mins on either way including routine breakfast and chai stops.

Last edited by ampere : 22nd August 2018 at 01:29. Reason: compacted quoted post
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2018, 04:46   #1849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Since this happens to be your first drive, I would suggest you to go via Hosur, Krishnagiri, Ambur, Vellore, Arcot, Cheyyar, Vandavasi and Tindivanam. No second thoughts about this route.
Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
I think the route suresh suggested has taken a battering over time. do check this post for details and then decide.

IMHO, if you are driving a car than can handle the potholes and plan to start early, I would suggest you stick to Arcot - Tindivanam as I still feel its the faster and more stress free route. Do make a note of the bypasses you can use to ensure you dont get stuck in town traffic (check earlier pages of this thread for detailed gmap links)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Take the Arcot- Thindivanam route. It is stress free till Arcot. Did the same route in June, there were a few diversions but generally good.

Time taken 5:30 mins on either way including routine breakfast and chai stops.
Wow thank you so much. Looks like we have shooting solution. So below is the route being suggested? I would be starting from Whitefield with an ETD of 5:00am.

Just a question, what exactly is the issue with the router being suggested by Google? Are the roads not in good shape, I do see a warning in there.

MaSh
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries-blr_pdy_rt_tbhp.jpg  

Old 24th August 2018, 19:23   #1850
BHPian

Traveled from bangalore to pondicherry today morning. Started from kengeri at 7 Am and took the NICE road to ecity to join hosur road. Thankfully there wasn't much traffic and we quickly made our way towards hosur.

From hosur we took the krishnagiri - chengam - thiruvannamalai - gingee - thindivanam route

Most part of this route is now double lane with good surface. Few bad patches not exceeding over a KM on the way. One could easily maintain good speeds and make it to pondi is quick time.

As we had an infant onboard so took it easy in the duster and reached at 1:30pm. This included almost 45 min break at Krishna inn/CCD (over crowded and had wait time) and sarvana bhavan.

Total travel time with breaks = 6.30 hrs
ant_vas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2018, 20:07   #1851
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant_vas View Post
This included almost 45 min break at Krishna inn/CCD (over crowded and had wait time) and sarvana bhavan.
Thanks for the update on this route
Are there any work in progress or work yet to begin sections anywhere ? Any uneven culverts, things to watch out for or anywhere where road suddenly narrows down ?

You could have skipped Krishna Inn (it's almost the first decent place and sees a lot of footfall) and after about 3-4km there is a new Sree Saravana Bhavan. Their other branches after krishnagiri toll and the one before Vaigundam toll are good.

Last edited by NPV : 24th August 2018 at 20:09.
Old 25th August 2018, 14:06   #1852
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the update on this route Are there any work in progress or work yet to begin sections anywhere ? Any uneven culverts, things to watch out for or anywhere where road suddenly narrows down ? You could have skipped Krishna Inn (it's almost the first decent place and sees a lot of footfall) and after about 3-4km there is a new Sree Saravana Bhavan. Their other branches after krishnagiri toll and the one before Vaigundam toll are good.
No work in progress any where on the entire route. But yes there are couple of places when the double road all of a sudden turn to single. Need to be a little cautious as you might find couple of pot holes at that intersection. Most of such change in road width would have a bad stretch with pot holes, but it's barely 100m in length

Yes we did skip Krishna inn, just grabbed a coffee in CCD and enjoyed the soft idli, crispy vada and and dosa at sarvana bhavan after couple of KM

Last edited by ant_vas : 25th August 2018 at 14:07. Reason: Spell check
ant_vas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2018, 18:02   #1853
BHPian

On the way back from Pondicherry now. Started at 3.30pm and currently my brother in law is at the wheel. We have Crossed chengam and about to reach uthangari. This stretch has roads which are patchy. There was a road diversion for construction of bridge but that's hardly 100 m.

For the benifit of all, attaching a picture of the typical road width and type you will encounter for most part if you take this route to travel between bangalore and pondicherry
Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries-img_20180826_175154__01.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 26th August 2018 at 22:32. Reason: Image alignment, spacing
ant_vas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th August 2018, 12:48   #1854
BHPian

We visited Pondicherry last weekend. Went via the by-now-standard route : Blr-Krishnagiri-Arcot-Tindivanam-Pondi. Started from home near Marathalli Sunday morning at around 4.30 AM and reached Arcot at 7.30 AM. Experienced sunrise while driving through the Krishnagiri hills; it was a lovely sight to view the hills in the light of dawn. Had a sumptuous breakfast at A2b @ Arcot and took TN SH-5. Thanks to Team BHP, we now know the routes to bypass those small towns. there are a couple of diversions after Arcot where we need to be a tad careful. There was not much traffic and soon we bypassed Cheyyar and Vandavasi. Reached Tindivanam bypass at 10.00 AM and took a break at Hotel Saravana Bhawan. After half hour play break for my 2-yr old son, started again towards Pondi. Tindivanam to Pondi is a fantastic 30 mins drive and we reached Ginger Hotel @ Lawspet at around 11.00 AM.
The weather was nice with a little-overcast sky giving some relief from the sun. My parents enjoyed visiting Auroville Ashram while my little one was most happy visiting Paradise beach. This must be one of the cleanest sea beaches in our country. The boat-ride to this beach cost Rs.300 per head but I felt it is worth it considering how pristine this beach is. In the evening, we visited the local market. My wife was especially interested in visiting the Hidesign flagship store. We found that there is also a Hidesign factory outlet nearby where there were big discounts on wallets and bags. Finally called it a night after some delicious food at Baker Street.
Returned on Tuesday via the same route. Stopped for lunch at Sai Suprabhatham after Vaniambadi for wholesome North Indian thali. Was back home by 6.00 PM. All-in-all, a happy outing for everyone in the family.

My faithful steed : Scross 1.3
Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries-img_20180819_072537143_hdr.jpg

Pondicherry city beach aka rocky beach :
Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries-img_20180819_180028160.jpg

Paradise beach:
Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries-img_20180820_112723023_hdr.jpg

Matrimandir @ Auroville:
Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries-img_20180820_161130946.jpg

Finally, edited one for my FB :
Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries-img_20180820_1129326670102.jpeg
ankan.m.blr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2018, 06:52   #1855
BHPian

Hi All,

I am travelling with my family to Pondy today noon and was all set to take the Vellore route. However I am confused after reading this post on Aug 24th https://www.facebook.com/groups/hvku...6031786694565/
(I picked this fb link from this thread itself)

Although this person mentioned likes and dislikes of both routes, he did not clearly give his recommendation. Can you guys please give a recommendation based on his findings?

Only question now is how bad is the roads now after Arcot towards Tindivanam (bcoz he made a statement "Within the first 10 mins, I realized that this was a mistake")

Please help - I am travelling in my brand new plush xuv500 AT with my 8 month old baby

Last edited by sam_sant2005 : 31st August 2018 at 07:20.
Old 31st August 2018, 07:16   #1856
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
how bad is the roads now after Arcot towards Tindivanam
I think that had more to do with the traffic than roads. The post above by ankan suggests that Arcot route is still doable. As you will be driving an XUV, would suggest you stick to arcot.
procrj is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2018, 15:17   #1857
BHPian

I did the Bangalore- Pondicherry trip from Aug 22-26.
Went via the Hosur- Krishnagiri, Karimangalam (on Salem Hwy), Morappur, Harur, Teerthamalai, Chinniyampettai, TVMalai, Gingee, Tindivanam, Puducherry :351 Km. Took me about 6.5 hours of driving time. karimangalam- Thiruvannamalai stretch is serene, low traffic and occasional bad spots.
Returned via the regular TVMalai-Chengam-Utharangai-Krishnagiri route, distance was slightly shorter at 314 km, and driving time was an hour lesser, reached in 5.5 hours.
I would recommend the shortest route now if driving in the day, and looking to reach quickly, the surface is mostly good, with a few short broken patches near Chengam.
I have done all the variations of Blore Pondy route over the years, and the default Google route is probably the best right now.

Couple of nice pitstop options we tried this time at Thirvannamalai- on the way to Pondy, Dreaming Tree. Very clean, including toilets, and yummy food, service was a tad slow, but we did not mind. https://dreamingtree.in/
On the way back was Baker street branch opposite the Ramana Ashram. We were doing Baker Street dessert every evening in Pondy, and dear son was starting to have withdrawal symptoms ;-). Again excellent food, quick service, clean loos.
And yes, this time we got some insider access to Auroville community activities and eateries, it was a wonderful experience.
Old 7th September 2018, 21:21   #1858
BHPian

I am planning to drive down to Pondi from bangalore tomorrow for weekend. The ride will be my trueted companion Verna Fluidic. I have gone through few recent post and I am confused about which route to take.

Any siggestion?
Old 7th September 2018, 22:07   #1859
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfOctave View Post
I am planning to drive down to Pondi from bangalore tomorrow for weekend. The ride will be my trueted companion Verna Fluidic. I have gone through few recent post and I am confused about which route to take.
Now, there are more options, especially if you're doing a day time drive.

If you're planning an early morning start, say 5am then I'd suggest you take the Arcot-Cheyyar-Tindivanam-Pondy route which has been standard for a few years now. This will give you the option of decent options for breaks after Krishnagiri. Sai Sangeet at Vaniyambadi and A2B at Arcot are good and require no detour as they're on the left side while going from Bangalore. Advantage of this route is wider 4/6 lane roads upto Arcot (Chennai route till Arcot) and roads beyond that are also wide with bypasses for all major towns en route.

If you start later, even the Chengam-Tiruvannamalai-Pondy (old and shorter route, now has improved roads) is an option. With the delayed start you have enough of options for breaks before Krishnagiri also (since most eateries open around 6:45-7am). See updates from @ant_vas for this route in previous posts. This route doesn't have divided highway roads after you turn off from Krishnagiri.

Last edited by NPV : 7th September 2018 at 22:08.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2018, 19:37   #1860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfOctave View Post

Any siggestion?
For your return journey, you can try the below route

Via Tindivanam, Gingee, Tiruvannamalai, Chengam, Singarapettai, Tirupattur, Bargur, Krishnagiri and Hosur. Good 2 lane roads especially the Bargur Tirupattur stretch.

Most Viewed