Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2021, 08:48   #2041
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Report from Pondicherry.
-----
Started the trip from Bangalore suburbs at 0500Hrs. Luckily no rains, and by 0551Hrs we had joined the Chennai highway at Krishnagiri. Breakfast point was Sai Sangeeth, and it was a wise decision. Food quality was good and as early birds we got piping hot idlies with a good variety of chutneys etc.

Crossed Ambur at around 0800Hrs and reached Ranipet/Vellore side at 0900Hrs. We missed to take a right turn here, and so had to cross the bridge then make a U Turn a bit ahead and then come back and enter the state highway towards Wandiwash/Vandavasi.

We took enough breaks (for 5-10 minutes) on the way, and crossed 'Wandiwash' by 1015-1030Hrs. By 1120Hrs we crossed Tindivanam as well. By 1210Hrs we were at Kalapet the place we had our accomodation booked.

I had registered for an e-Pass in Tamil Nadu. Chose the destination district as Villupuram and Taluk as Tindivanam. Mentioned the place/road as Border check post, East Cost Road. But there was no checking of any e-Pass or RTPCR any where on the roads. Even at our place of stay; there was no checking of RTPCR etc.

PS: Expect heavy rain fall on the coastal side for the next 2-3 days.
Old 20th October 2021, 15:15   #2042
BHPian

Thanks a lot for all the inputs, had a fantastic drive to Auroville / Pondicherry and back.

Travelled during the long weekend.

From Bangalore
Bangalore > Hosur > Krishnagiri > Ambur > Pallikonda > Arani > Gingee > Tindivanam > Pondicherry

From Pondicherry
Pondicherry > Tindivanam > Vandavasi > Cheyyar > Arcot > Ranipet > Chitoor > Palamaner > Hosakote > East Bangalore

Few callouts
* Clearly the routes while going were wider and more space to cruise.
* The return routes passes through smaller roads and about 5% of the roads are under repair / construction.
* All highway restaurants were packed and had 15-30 minutes waiting - was wonderful to see travel come back so well.
* For East Bangalore it is a no brainer to take the return route and am sure in 3-4 months the rest of the roads under construction will be done and then this will be a superb option.
* The return route has few scary road humps (not speed humps, just the gradients of patch work) that make the car fly a bit...
* My return journey took about 5:15 hrs of driving time for 350 kms excluding breaks.

Happy driving.
monish_m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2021, 15:05   #2043
BHPian

I am planning to travel with my family to Pondicherry for long pending & much needed vacation.

1. Google Maps is suggesting Ring Road->Hoskote->Kolar->Arcot->Cheyar->Vandavasi->Pondicherry route. Is this better then Nice Road->Hosur->Krishnagiri->Arcot->Cheyar->Vandavasi->Pondicherry? I live in North Bangalore.

2. How are the road conditions for a low slung sedan, specifcaly a Benz C -Class?

3. Do we need E-passes and RT-PCR test? All adults are fully vaccinated.
Old 24th October 2021, 10:30   #2044
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_addict View Post
Not that people may check these days. But still good to carry a printout of vaccine certificates. As regards to the route: I would still suggest the Hosur-Krishnagiri option. Its more peaceful and has good breakfast options.

Arcot-Vandavasi is a good option and standard one at that.

Some have also reported Penukonda-Sripuram-Arani-Vandavasi as a good option. If the idea is to take time and tested route go with Arcot-Vandavasi.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 07:56   #2045
BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to travel with my family to Pondicherry for long pending & much needed vacation.

1. Google Maps is suggesting Ring Road->Hoskote->Kolar->Arcot->Cheyar->Vandavasi->Pondicherry route. Is this better then Nice Road->Hosur->Krishnagiri->Arcot->Cheyar->Vandavasi->Pondicherry? I live in North Bangalore.

If you are closer to whitefield, then Kolar route makes sense otherwise go via Krishnagiri. I travelled 10 days back, no checking at TN border however better to carry EPass as its online and take a few mins only. Also carry vaccine certificates Prints. I didnt have / carry RTPCR reports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monish_m View Post
From Pondicherry
Pondicherry > Tindivanam > Vandavasi > Cheyyar > Arcot > Ranipet > Chitoor > Palamaner > Hosakote > East Bangalore
Thanks Monish, followed this route for my journey as well. Only point to add is the diversion around Tindivanam which we should take instead of going through the narrow lanes of the town. See the attached pic.

Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries-tindivanam.png
swarnava.ch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 09:47   #2046
BHPian

Quote:
Same here with family in tow, most probably in an Ecosport.
Why dont you try: Bangalore > Hosur > Krishnagiri > Ambur > Pallikonda > Arani > Gingee > Tindivanam > Pondicherry instead of through Arcot->Cheyar?
Old 27th October 2021, 12:36   #2047
BHPian

The Krishnagiri->Arcot->Cheyar->Vandavasi->Pondicherry is the preferred route by many Bhp'ians. I have also travelled on both routes 7 years ago & Cheyar route is preferred as you stay on the expressway for a longer time and you have very good options of food at Vellore and Arcot.

Last edited by car_addict : 27th October 2021 at 12:38. Reason: spelling
car_addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 14:17   #2048
BHPian

Quote:
The Krishnagiri->Arcot->Cheyar->Vandavasi->Pondicherry is the preferred route by many Bhp'ians.
Update on the road status Krishnagiri->Arcot->Cheyar->Vandavasi->Pondicherry.

Pro-trip - Recommend to use Apple maps for navigation as it takes the proper route including proper switchover at Arcot, bye-passes @ Cheyar, Vandavasi and Tindivanam. Google maps insists on taking you through the town centers. Be aware.

After the turn-off @ Arcot from NH48, the road has been recently re-surfaced with good lane marking till Vandavasi Bypass. After Vandavasi, the road is spotty in some places, but still good. Tindivanam Byepass also has been re-surfaced. Double Digit speeds are recommended due to frequent 2 wheelers.

Some observations since the last time I travelled on this road 7 years ago in the same route:
  1. You can directly connect to the road after Arcot without having to travel all the way back and forth on the bridge for the U-Turn. This juction is very complex for newbie drivers due to the multitude of roads and dividers merging with high speed traffic on NH48.
  2. Cheyyar had not grown past the small road which would go through the village center. Now, like Bangalore, it overflows the bypass.
  3. Vandavasi bye-pass did not exist 7 years ago and had to crawl through the town and bus-stand. Now the bye-pass is very good and saves a lot of time. However, the town is also coming close to the bypass.
  4. Tindivanam bye-pass was just opened and is still as good as earlier.
  5. All road-humps have been removed and dividers placed at steep 90° curves.
  6. 2 wheeler traffic was non-existent earlier. Now it is ever existent along with the crazy village drivers.
  7. Trucks did not ply on this route. Only a few buses did. Now, I saw a few heavy duty trucks on the road.
  8. Overall, the road surface has improved dramatically and should not be a concern for low level sedans. It is still the best option.
  9. Fueling options are now abundant.

Last edited by car_addict : 4th November 2021 at 14:45. Reason: Pt 3 updated for clarity
car_addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 14:44   #2049
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Vandavasi bye-pass did not exist and had to crawl through the town and bus-stand. Now the bye-pass is very good and saves a lot of time. However, the town is also coming close to the bypass.
I thought Vandavasi bypass existed for quite some time. Did not get your point if you meant something else.
Old 5th November 2021, 18:27   #2050
BHPian

Reached Pondicherry from Bangalore yesterday. we were in 2 cars: Dzire Zxi+AGS and Nexon EV

Dzire took the pallikonda - arani - chetpet - gingee - thindivanam - pondicherry route. except for few KM's of bad patches between Gingee and thindivanam (due to road upgrade work and / rain damange) rest of the road is superb!

Nexon EV had to stop first at krishnagiri for top up charging and again at vellore MG showroom for 2nd top up charging. Both cars spent almost an hour at krishnagiri and then it was decided to let Dzire go ahead. Nexon took the route via Vandavasi, chayyar , Thindivanam and was delayed by couple of hours as someone else plugged their nexon for charging 2 mins before our car and went missing! the road conditions on the vandavasi - chayyar sections are also good.

We plan to take the thindivanam - cheyyar - vandavasi - vellor route on the return journey on sunday.
Old 8th November 2021, 12:09   #2051
BHPian

Drove a sedan. Took below route ( from earlier posts ) last weekend:

Bangalore > Hosur > Krishnagiri > Vellore > Arcot > Cheyyar > Vandavasi > Tindivanam > Pondy

Pondy > Tindivanam > Vandavasi > Cheyyar > Arcot > Chittor > Kolar > Hoskote > Bangalore

Earlier reviews still hold good. Overall good roads. Small sections through narrow market. Possibly I missed a bypass. On the return route, some patches of bad road due to construction and rains. And we saw more traffic due to crowd coming back after Diwali holidays.

cheers
Old 8th November 2021, 18:44   #2052
BHPian

Got back to bangalore yesterday via thindivanam - vandavasi - cheyyar - Arcot - vellore - ambur - krishnagiri - hosur - bangalore.

The road between thindivanam cheyyar has lost surface tar at few places due to the rains, but nothing which will bring you to a crawl. you will pass quite a few villages on this stretch and all of them have speed humps.

Once you cross cheyyar, its good roads all the way.

Between the above route and the one via chetpet - arani - pallikonda, i would prefer the arani route as it crosses less number of villages, doesn't have speed humps and the roads are in general great shape and wide!
Old 11th November 2021, 06:45   #2053
BHPian

We are planning to travel from Tirupati to Pondicherry via Kanchipuram today and any route recommendations?

Also, we were very keen on doing the ECR Route from Mahabalipuram till Pondicherry, but understand it is an absolute no go with the flood / heavy rain warnings!!

Planning to take the Cheyar - Vandavasi - Tindivanam Route to Pondicherry from Kanchipuram and hope this makes sense?
Old 11th November 2021, 08:08   #2054
Team-BHP Support

Lots of rain all around TN. Please think twice and check weather reports before you all plan please.
Old 11th November 2021, 11:08   #2055
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post
Also, we were very keen on doing the ECR Route from Mahabalipuram till Pondicherry, but understand it is an absolute no go with the flood / heavy rain warnings!!

Planning to take the Cheyar - Vandavasi - Tindivanam Route to Pondicherry from Kanchipuram and hope this makes sense?
Please stay put in a safe place. Very bad weather and red alert in many areas in ECR route. Kindly check updates before heading out on the road.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks