Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2023, 22:54   #2161
JD1
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Follow-up to my earlier post (# 2158).
We travelled during the 4th/5th weekend and took the Krishnagiri -> Mathur -> Chengam -> Tiruvannamalai -> Gingee ->
Tindivanam - PY route.
We were starting from South East Bangalore (Sarjapur road close to TN border) starting at Saturday 7:30 am so this route showed 280 kms and took approx 5.5 hours travel (plus additional time for 2 breaks).
The road was good and there were probably less than half dozen bad spots. One of the biggest bad spot was for approx 100 metres were one side was tarred (traveling to Pondicherry) and another (return to Bangalore) was not tarred so you can pray there is no traffic on other side for that 100 metres to be able to use the tarred side. Another similar bad spot was 10-20 metres only.

The route was primarily 2 lane only with quite a bit of heavy vehicle (bus, trucks etc) traffic. So if you are not willing to overtake by going in opposite lane, then this is not the route for you. And then there were these small towns where we had to slow down due to local traffic (not all bypasses were operational). The worst were Uthangarai, Gingee and Chengam and bypass for these towns are very much required. Lot of bypass roads are under construction so hopefully some time this year they will be ready.
Tiruvannamalai bypass road is a boon and at the end of this bypass (travelling towards Pondi) there is a flyover to bypass this bypass (to go to Vellore. For Pondi just take a right under the flyover from bypass road).

We stopped for breakfast at Sai Anand Bhavan, Krishnagiri. This is small place and crowded, but good food. Limited numbers of car parking spots are available but might have to struggle during peak hours.

For lunch we stopped at Aishwarya Bhavan (Tindivanam) as it had the 60W fast charger (we were traveling in EV). Actually the 60 kms saved via this route (compared to Vellore route) could be boon for EVs. The lunch, especially North indian curry and Naans were just fantastic. We got totally impressed with the taste.

Return also we took the same route on Sunday morning (starting approx 10:15 am from Pondicherry with one 30 minute break at Aishwarya Bhavan to recharge the EV) and it took almost the same time inspite of temporary road blockages in small towns due to festival processions and also heavy machinary (wind turbines) transportation on Hosur road after Krishnagiri occupying all but 1 lane.

The route itself is beautiful .. If possible do stop around Theerthagiri Valasai Lake (please correct me if I have written incorrect name) so you can take some pics of the beautiful lake (this pic was from car only .. we did not stop).
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries-lake.jpg  

Last edited by JD1 : 12th February 2023 at 22:58.
JD1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 19:01   #2162
BHPian

Did two Bangalore to pondi and one pondi to bangalore via BLR - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Gingee - Tindivanam - Pondi. I was able to cover the distance in less than 5 hours of driving time each time. The road is in excellent shape in 90% of the total distance. My most recent one took me 4:40 minutes to cover a distance of 322 km. I have decided to now go to Pondi via this route only till the construction on the Arcot side route is completed. , as it saves time and if you drive around 80-90 gives you decent mileage as well,

Only caveat is the undivided road, which is almost 2/3rd of the total distance. It is very hard to sustain speed more than 100kmph for even a minute.

I will not advise this route for travelling at night, either way. Many sections if the road do not have reflectors which makes it very hard to drive woth the oncoming traffic throwing lights at high beam on you.

Below graph doesn't show much, but you can see how many times the speed has to be reduced to almost 0 throughout the journey.
Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries-ec6ce5a9a5074f4db65a4104c6f820a9.png
BudgetFailure is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th March 2023, 12:29   #2163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetFailure View Post
till the construction on the Arcot side route is completed. ,
Attachment 2432008
Can you elaborate on this part? Where is the construction exactly?

My go to route was BLR -> Krishnagiri -> Pallikonda -> Arani -> Tindivaram -> Pondy.
Is there any construction on the Krishnagiri <-> Pallikonda stretch?
Old 7th May 2023, 13:43   #2164
BHPian

Adding to my post above:
Did a bangalore-pondy run recently. Took the blr-krishnagiri-mathur-thiruvanamalai-pondy route for the first time. After having experienced both routes within a month and both on long weekends, i would stick to the mathur-thiruvanamalai route anyday going ahead. The road is good, few bad surfaces at areas where the bypassses are being built are too insignificant to factor in. Some sections have butter smooth tarmac as well and with good views to boot. I was fortunate enough to experience heavy rainfall during the drive both ways.
It saved me Rs.500 in tolls and Rs.500 in petrol for the round trip. Also saves 1hr travel time one way.

Last edited by rajathv8 : 7th May 2023 at 13:44.
rajathv8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 14:40   #2165
BHPian

I am planning to travel with my Wife and 11 month old daughter to Pondicherry in the first week of July and needed suggestions on the route to take as I will definitely have to take multiple pitstops and also wanted to check if July would be the right time ?
Old 14th May 2023, 01:08   #2166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
Adding to my post above:
Did a bangalore-pondy run recently. Took the blr-krishnagiri-mathur-thiruvanamalai-pondy route for the first time. After having experienced both routes within a month and both on long weekends, i would stick to the mathur-thiruvanamalai route anyday going ahead. The road is good, few bad surfaces at areas where the bypassses are being built are too insignificant to factor in. Some sections have butter smooth tarmac as well and with good views to boot. I was fortunate enough to experience heavy rainfall during the drive both ways.
It saved me Rs.500 in tolls and Rs.500 in petrol for the round trip. Also saves 1hr travel time one way.
Seems i missed the above reply. I too would choose the way through Krishnagiri mathur route any day now, the road is butter smooth in majority, saves time, money and gives better fuel efficiency.

Only day i would not take it would be when i am travelling with someone who takes a break every 1-1.5 hours and needs to eat something (given more options on the route via Ambur)
BudgetFailure is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 00:07   #2167
BHPian

Did Bangalore - Krishnagiri - Mathur - Thiruvannamalai - Gingee - Tindivanam - Pondicherry over the weekend.

The road is super smooth and has couple of diversions. There are 3 toll booths being built though as the construction was on-going for them (wide concrete roads being built)

Over all, we took 5.30 hours both ways including 30 mins break during our travel in both the directions.

yes, there are no good hotels after krishnagiri, but I feel its a matter of few months before some good hotels/restaurants come up on this route.
ant_vas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 06:18   #2168
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant_vas View Post

Over all, we took 5.30 hours both ways including 30 mins break during our travel in both the directions.
This is good! If you could achieve the above timing with sedate driving, then finally we can switch from the Chennai highway! I just hope the bypasses are completed soon.
Old 1st June 2023, 08:48   #2169
BHPian

As i stay close to Old Madras Road and don't want to cross the city in weekday traffic, I am planning to take the following route to Pondi next week:
Bangalore -> Hoskote -> Kolar -> Mulbagal -> Chittoor -> Arcot -> Cheyyar -> Vandavasi -> Tindivanam -> Pondicherry

I will be starting at about 5:30 and would like to know about good breakfast places with clean bathrooms near Chittoor. Any suggestions?

Also there is a mention about construction near Arcot. Any thing that I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance.
Prasad
Old 2nd June 2023, 19:10   #2170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnredkar View Post
I will be starting at about 5:30 and would like to know about good breakfast places with clean bathrooms near Chittoor. Any suggestions?
There are many options around ranipet/arcot area.
1. Amirtha Restaurant Ranipet
2. A2B Arcot
3. Hotel Alankar
Landkruzer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 14:25   #2171
BHPian

Mates, planning to take Krishnagiri-mathur road tonight. How safe/dangerous is it for night time drive? 7Pm to 1am would be the drive time. I know dining options are extremely limited.

I might even go via ambur-arcot if people suggest it is not that safe.
Old 16th June 2023, 14:32   #2172
BHPian

Quote:
Mates, planning to take Krishnagiri-mathur road tonight. How safe/dangerous is it for night time drive? 7Pm to 1am would be the drive time. I know dining options are extremely limited.

Krishnagiri-Mathur and onwards is safe at night. There is usually traffic on the road through the night.
adnaps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 17:03   #2173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Nothing to worry about, that stretch has bus traffic right through the night. I have not had any issues to face even 15 years back in the same timelines you are mentioning now with increased traffic I dont see much of an issue
pypkmsrikanth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2023, 01:55   #2174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnaps View Post
Krishnagiri-Mathur and onwards is safe at night. There is usually traffic on the road through the night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Nothing to worry about, that stretch has bus traffic right through the night. I have not had any issues to face even 15 years back in the same timelines you are mentioning now with increased traffic I dont see much of an issue
Thank you guys! The road was awesome! Once i crossed the electronic city, the drive was butter smooth, now my pondi trips are going to always include night drives! Gives me an additional night to stay with family.

Started from Domlur area at 7:30 reached my destination at 1:15, which included a break of 20 minutes, and almost 1 hr to reach silk board.

Last edited by BudgetFailure : 17th June 2023 at 01:58. Reason: Added more info
Old 18th June 2023, 19:01   #2175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you guys! The road was awesome! Once i crossed the electronic city, the drive was butter smooth, now my pondi trips are going to always include night drives! Gives me an additional night to stay with family.

Started from Domlur area at 7:30 reached my destination at 1:15, which included a break of 20 minutes, and almost 1 hr to reach silk board.
Good to hear, except for the stretch between Mathur and Chengam which could be lonely at times the stretch is not an issue even during night times. The biggest problem for you would be getting out of Bengaluru during peak hour time.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks