Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2011, 17:12   #241
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
There would be at least a 100Km difference. But it is still worth it. The Krishnagiri-Tiruvannamalai road which is about 120km, is a real pain and totally takes away the joy of driving.
Hence its better to do this extra 100Km.
Hey Ampere, in terms of time taken, how much would the difference be between the two routes?

Also, how much would be the time taken if one were to head towards ECR from Chengalpattu?

I will probably be going to Pondi sometime in June. Monsoon will be in full swing, right?
Old 28th April 2011, 17:14   #242
Senior - BHPian

Brat001, It would be adding close to 80-100 kms. The advantage is getting a hassle free, suspension happy drive.

BLR-Kanchi ~ 270 kms
Kanchi-Chengalpattu 35 kms
Chengalpattu-TIndivanam 63 kms
TIndivanam-Pondy 40 km
~~~~~
Quote:
Also, how much would be the time taken if one were to head towards ECR from Chengalpattu?
Mahabs (ECR) is another 28 kms East of Chengalpattu. If you are looking to take the ECR more, you can drive all the way upto Maduravoyal (Madras), take the Chennai Bypass to NH45, take a left at Vandalur towards Kelambakkam (will get you on Old Mahabalipuram Road), the ECR link road from Kelambakkam will land you near Kovalam on ECR. The advantage is getting more 4-laners this way

Quote:
I will probably be going to Pondi sometime in June. Monsoon will be in full swing, right?
Pondy gets NE monsoon, not SW monsoon. So monsoon is like late October, November, early December. In June it will be hot summer :P

Last edited by narayans80 : 28th April 2011 at 17:22.
narayans80 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2011, 17:28   #243
BHPian

I had taken the following route when I went to pondy around 6 months ago.
Again, It will be around 100km more than the tiruannamalai route, but the roads are very good. its via salem - attur - kallakurichi - ulundurpet - villupuram.

Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries-pondy.jpg

I also travelled to kanchipuram recently, so can vouch for that route to be awesome as well. Till kanchipuram, it is actually better than the route I have attached. Not sure about the route post kanchipuram.
Old 28th April 2011, 17:58   #244
Team-BHP Support

@figo_united,

Do you mean to say, Salem-Ulundrupet was good inspite of work on the NH68?
If so, that is good.
Old 28th April 2011, 18:27   #245
Senior - BHPian

Figo, I'd love to hear about the Salem-Ulundurpettai stretch as well. Am leaving tomorrow afternoon, comtemplating on using it on the return. The latest info from vigneshA on the NH68 thread didnt sound encouraging though.
Old 28th April 2011, 23:51   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Figo, I'd love to hear about the Salem-Ulundurpettai stretch as well. Am leaving tomorrow afternoon, comtemplating on using it on the return. The latest info from vigneshA on the NH68 thread didnt sound encouraging though.
When I went on that route (6 months ago as mentioned previously), road repairs were happening on some stretches, but it was being done on only one side of the road, and the other side was left free, and was in good condition. Since I travelled in night, there was not too much traffic too, and the drive was smooth.
Really cant comment on the current state.
Old 29th April 2011, 15:35   #247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mahabs (ECR) is another 28 kms East of Chengalpattu. If you are looking to take the ECR more, you can drive all the way upto Maduravoyal (Madras), take the Chennai Bypass to NH45, take a left at Vandalur towards Kelambakkam (will get you on Old Mahabalipuram Road), the ECR link road from Kelambakkam will land you near Kovalam on ECR. The advantage is getting more 4-laners this way
Will this be the shortest route (time-wise) to ECR from Chengalpattu?

Quote:
Pondy gets NE monsoon, not SW monsoon. So monsoon is like late October, November, early December. In June it will be hot summer :P
Ah right. I guess hot summer is also ok. The gentle sea breeze would be even more welcome in the evenings.
Old 29th April 2011, 18:26   #248
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
If you want to goto Pondicherry and not Mahabs, NH45 is any day faster compared to ECR.
You get 4L all the way till Pondicherry (NH45 and NH66)

NH66 is 4L from Tindivanam to Pondicherrry.
Old 29th April 2011, 18:41   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The shortest route will certainly be the regular route via Thirukalukundram which will join the ECR near Kalpakkam or alternatively you can join near Mahabalipuram depending on your destination. You will easilly take atleast 30 minutes to reach Vandalur Jn. from Chengalpattu. Add another 20/25 minutes atleast to reach Muttukadau from there.
Old 29th April 2011, 19:18   #250
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hey Ampere, in terms of time taken, how much would the difference be between the two routes?

Sorry I saw this question just now. There would be a difference of 20km (between NH45 and ECR). But that can translate into significant time difference as ECR would have heavy traffic and also the fact that its a 2L as against NH45/NH66 which would be 4L all the way.

1. If its for the pure fun of ECR, take it while you are coming back.
2. If you plan to visit Mahabs again do it on the way back from Pondicherry.
You can do both drive and Mahabs and it may not be tiring. Your drive gets split.
Old 2nd May 2011, 15:15   #251
Senior - BHPian

Had been to pondy last week. While going took the Tiruvanamalai route. Roads are bad till Gingee but you can drive in this road only in day time not in night time. Appx 320 Kms
Coming back, took the most preferred route, Pondy- Tindivanam - Chenglapet - Kanchipuram - Bangalore. Awesome roads, no complain about it at all. Appx - 420 Kms

Difference in Kms 80 - 100 kms compared to the earlier route.
Toll amount paid Rs.205
No. of tolls 7

Rs.20 Toll 1 Athur Toll(Tindivanam - Chenglapet )
Rs.25 Toll 2 Chennasamudram Toll
Rs.45 Toll 3 Penkonda
Rs.35 Toll 4 Vaniyabamdi
Rs.25 Toll 5 Krishnagiri
Rs.20 Toll 6 Attibele
Rs.35 Toll 7 BETL

Also, there is a new toll coming up after Pondy towards Tindivanam, not started yet. So total 8 tolls from bangalore to Pondy

Last edited by rk_sans : 2nd May 2011 at 15:16.
Old 2nd May 2011, 18:46   #252
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
Rs.45 Toll 3 Penkonda
That toll plaza on NH 46 is located at Pallikonda.
  (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2011, 22:17   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere

If you want to goto Pondicherry and not Mahabs, NH45 is any day faster compared to ECR.
You get 4L all the way till Pondicherry (NH45 and NH66)

NH66 is 4L from Tindivanam to Pondicherrry.
So i took the suggested route and it was awesome.
BUT i think i took the wrong road from Kanchipuram to Chengalapattu. I got onto the NH45 Bypass road and that was not so good. I should have stayed on the road to Chennai a bit more? The turn to NH45 would have come on that road itself?
Old 17th June 2011, 06:49   #254
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So i took the suggested route and it was awesome.
BUT i think i took the wrong road from Kanchipuram to Chengalapattu. I got onto the NH45 Bypass road and that was not so good. I should have stayed on the road to Chennai a bit more? The turn to NH45 would have come on that road itself?
I think there is only one SH between the two towns. So you should have taken the right road only. This will join the NH45 bypass before it enters Chengalapattu town. The only point is how you get on to this SH in Kanchi.

I thought that the Chengalpattu GQ bypass was in place. Should not have been any issue. This is news to me!
Old 17th June 2011, 07:36   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere

I think there is only one SH between the two towns. So you should have taken the right road only. This will join the NH45 bypass before it enters Chengalapattu town. The only point is how you get on to this SH in Kanchi.

I thought that the Chengalpattu GQ bypass was in place. Should not have been any issue. This is news to me!
You are right. I dont see any other road connecting the two towns on google maps either. The road i took had innumerable speed breakers, with huge caravans of trucks on both sides and a lot of buses too. It was an undivided two lane road. The surface of the road was also not much to talk about.
Still, i made it to pondicherry in about 5.5 hours, including a stop for lunch and a missed turn at Tindivanam.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks