Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2008, 20:46   #16
BHPian

Bangalore - pondicherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadigar View Post
Thanks guys, will take rt 1.
I drove just last month during the 15-aug long weekend. And the route Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Thiruvanamalai-Gingi(Gingi Fort)-Pondicherry is an awesome track. Though at some points the road is bad but the scenery will cover that up and you can have a very nice drive through some vegetation.
And yes while coming back, do come thru Mahabalipuram and Kanchi, since you cover the ECR from pondicherry to Mahabalipuram which is just awesome stretch and yeah depends on which car you are driving to enjoy more.

Anup
Old 6th January 2009, 12:31   #17
Team-BHP Support

Guys please update the best route based on current road conditions and approximate distance to Pondicherry on these routes.

Ideally i would like to avoid Chennai and my destination would be "9 Km after the Pondicherry ECR toll gate". Check in after 12 noon

Thanks in advance.
Old 6th January 2009, 12:39   #18
Senior - BHPian

Jaggu why don't you call viddy, he just did a pondy trip during the hols. Since you want to avoid Chennai the usual route Bangalore--Krishnagiri--Thiruvannamalai--Tindivanam--Pondy is the most traversed route.
Old 6th January 2009, 12:43   #19
BHPian

Ideal route would be: Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Tiruvannamalai - Tindivanam - Pondicherry.

Distance: 325-335 approx

Road condition: Till Krishnagiri good roads apart from Bangalore - Hosur construction work.

Krishnagiri - Tiruvannamalai: Partly bad, partly OK roads.

Tiruvannamalai - Tindivanam: Good roads.

Tindivanam - Pondicherry: Good road with dense traffic

Directions: Take left to the chennai road after the first fly over after the toll plaza in Krishnagiri. After taking left, after few 100 meters, take right to Tiruvannamalai. Boards are there to direct you.

Happy journey.
Old 6th January 2009, 12:49   #20
Senior - BHPian

I'd rather take the kanchipuram route. There's a so-so patch of around 5km right after getting off ECR but great otherwise. One also gets to drive on ECR which is just too much fun . The direct route to pondy is no fun in comparison.
Old 6th January 2009, 12:55   #21
Team-BHP Support

Spoke to Vidyut and he recommended the Kanchipuram route since it has better roads, the direct route according to him, though saves distance (100 kms doesnt matter thanks to diesel car ) but has pot holes all around and tedious and time consuming to drive

Also i wouldnt need to enter Pondy to get to my destination which is on ECR.
Old 6th January 2009, 14:23   #22
Team-BHP Support

I went by the Tindivanam route. If your car has a good suspension and you want the shortest distance then only take this route. Approx distance is 320kms. The roads were not great. Basically potholes strewn all over the road. It is more difficult as the shadow from the trees doesn't allow you to see the pothole till very late. Then you have to stand on your brakes and maneuver around the khad and pray you don't damage your tyres.

On the other hand you could take the kanchipuram - chengalpattu route. Benbsb29 suggested this route and I took it on my way back. Take the GQ all the way to Kanchipuram. Turn right at kanchipuram and drive through the whole town. Whole way you need to be on SH58. Kanchipuram town roads are not great. After kanchipuram roads are good. Single carriageway no potholes but there are few speedbreakers. You will reach chengalpattu. From chengalpattu again continue on SH58 and you will hit ECR where you should take right to Pondicherry. From GQ to ECR is approx 65kms of SH58. This route showed 430kms or so on my tripmeter.

Both routes take same amount of time. kanchipuram route is more relaxed drive.
Old 6th January 2009, 15:07   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Spoke to Vidyut and he recommended the Kanchipuram route since it has better roads, the direct route according to him, though saves distance (100 kms doesnt matter thanks to diesel car ) but has pot holes all around and tedious and time consuming to drive

Also i wouldnt need to enter Pondy to get to my destination which is on ECR.

We were discusisng the alternative routes here and AKroy later took kanchipuram route on his way back from pondi, you can read more about it on his travelogue
Old 6th January 2009, 17:35   #24

Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Thiruvannamalai-Pondicherry route is very good. dont miss the Gingee fort
Old 6th January 2009, 22:48   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK Rao View Post
Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Thiruvannamalai-Pondicherry route is very good. dont miss the Gingee fort
+1, I did this route around 3 months back. While going I took around 7 hours, while return just 5 hrs 20 minutes. Road is good, less of traffic, however can't match the ECR and GQ.

regards,
-manju
Old 6th January 2009, 23:00   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK Rao View Post
Yes I agree in a scorpio that road is very good.
Old 20th January 2009, 21:37   #27

Folks, is there a more recent update on the state of this route? I am planning to drive from BLR to Pondy via Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Thiruvannamalai on 23rd Jan, Friday and return on Monday 26th.

Sameer
Old 11th August 2009, 12:38   #28
BHPian

Hi All,

Will be driving down to Pondicherry for the I-Day Weekend.
Which route is better?

1) Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Thiruvannamalai-Gingee-Pondicherry OR
2) GQ all the way till Kanchi - SH58 - ECR - Pondicherry

I know that the second route is longer than the first, but good roads are very important . So distance is not an issue.
Also, if No.2 is the best, then where do I turn off the GQ?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11th August 2009, 17:54   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvnagan View Post
Hi All,

Will be driving down to Pondicherry for the I-Day Weekend.
Which route is better?

1) Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Thiruvannamalai-Gingee-Pondicherry OR
2) GQ all the way till Kanchi - SH58 - ECR - Pondicherry

I know that the second route is longer than the first, but good roads are very important . So distance is not an issue.
Also, if No.2 is the best, then where do I turn off the GQ?

Thanks in advance.
Take route 1 , roads are done up , My brother in law did this last week. 5 hrs no breaks . At T-malai go straight , do not take the one way , check with anyone , they will help , because of some road work .
Old 10th September 2009, 19:48   #30

Road Route from Vellore and Pondicherry

Can someone please help me with a road route from vellore to pondicherry. Also, how much would be the duration and the road conditions ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks