Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2011, 11:39   #406
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Bangalore->Krishnagiri->Vellore->Arcot->Cheyyar->Vandavasi->Tindivanam->Pondy is the only plyable route to Pondy as of now.All other routes have pothole ridden roads for at least 1-1.5 hrs worst being Bangalore --> Pondy highway NH66 which is terrible for nearly 4.5 hrs from Krishnagiri all the way till Tindivanam thru Gingee and Tiruvanamalai (This road has got much publicity on wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Highway_66_(India)).
DieselFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2011, 12:11   #407

I just completed a weekend trip from Whitefield, Bangalore to Pondicherry. My wife and I left in our Ford Figo petrol from Whitefield. I had a look at the forum and worked out that it was best to avoid the Krishnagiri-tiruvannamalai route. Therefore I decided to go via Vellore.

Since getting from whitefield to Hosur road could be a pain, I had a last minute change of heart and decided to take the NH4 via Hoskote and Kolar to get to Mulbagal and then head to Vellore from there. Big mistake! We ended up passing through Andhra Pradesh to get to Tamil Nadu! Upto Mulbagal was bliss, then started our nightmare! Whitefield to Puducherry, Pondicherry - Google Maps
The roads were very bad, full of potholes and there was hardly any traffic for company...sometimes the narrow roads would be blocked by herds of goats or people who had stacked up hay in the middle of the road. It took us hours to get out of the bad roads.We joined the previous route at Pallikondai and back onto the four lane highway, but not before a freak flying pebble cracked the corner of my windshield!
Anyway, we took 8 hours to reach.

On the way back we learnt from our mistake and avoided the former route and stuck with the recommended route - pondy-tindivanam-cheyyar-vandavasi- vellore-hosur. This was an excellent route, other than the minor potholes along the two lane highways from tindivanam to vandavasi. I was steadily between 90-120 kmph and insite of that got my best mileage ever of 14.6 kmpl!! (I had just completed my 3rd service).
Puducherry, Pondicherry to Whitefield - Google Maps
Finally from Hosur, I decided to avoid the Bangalore traffic and head to whitefield via Bagalur. There was a particularly bad strectch in bagalur, with huge craters, but the rest of the journey was fine. My return trip lasted 7.5 hours with stops for lunch and a tea break and refuelling.
thomvee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2011, 09:33   #408
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomvee View Post
I just completed a weekend trip from Whitefield, Bangalore to Pondicherry. My wife and I left in our Ford Figo petrol from Whitefield. I had a look at the forum and worked out that it was best to avoid the Krishnagiri-tiruvannamalai route. Therefore I decided to go via Vellore.
Here is a September update.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2496709
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2011, 11:21   #409
BHPian

I am planning to travel to Pondy on Monday via NH 46/NH 4 till Chennai and then ECR to Pondy. The objective is to drive these two roads Which I have not in the recent past and hence the longish route.

I will be leaving Bangalore at around 5.00 am and hitting Hosur road and beyond...

Can some of you please guide me how to get to ECR from NH 4 while avoiding Chennai? What are the exact signages to look for?

Last edited by nareshtrao : 16th December 2011 at 11:24.
Old 16th December 2011, 11:50   #410
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
I am planning to travel to Pondy on Monday via NH 46/NH 4 till Chennai and then ECR to Pondy. The objective is to drive these two roads Which I have not in the recent past and hence the longish route.

I will be leaving Bangalore at around 5.00 am and hitting Hosur road and beyond...

Can some of you please guide me how to get to ECR from NH 4 while avoiding Chennai? What are the exact signages to look for?
Does not make sense to go inside Chennai and latch on to ECR.
The pleasure driving on these roads would be drastically reduced by the amount of wading you may have to do to latch on ECR.

The only way to avoid Chennai is the Kanchipuram/Chengalpattu/Kalpakkam option. But the road conditions and traffic may be big turn-off

Maybe you can try a small section of the ECR between Tindivanam and Pondy.
Try this instead of NH66. route link

Better to stick to the regular Arcot/Cheyyar/Vandavasi/Tindivanam routing.

Last edited by ampere : 16th December 2011 at 11:51.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2011, 13:40   #411
BHPian

Just back from Pondicherry Trip. We did Chennai to Pondi and then Pondi to Bangalore, since i stayed in chennai for few days before heading to Pondi.

Reaching Pondi from chennai is no brianer - Took ECR and it was a breeze to drive. On our way, we stopped at a resort/restaurant by name "Arupadai Chettinad Restaurant'. Had one of the best Lunch of the vacation here. I least expected this place to be good since this was some 70 Kms from Chennai and in the middle of ECR highway with not much of a crowd. But they surprised us with their hygenic and tasty food. I highly recommend this place. This will be towards your left while driving on ECR from chennai to pondi.
Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries-dsc02106.jpg

Stayed at St James Court beach resort. Again an awesome (Value for money) resort. Food was average but the customer service, cleanliness, Promtness and the way resort is maintained is highly recommended. Let ht picture do the talking.. this was taken from my room balcony.
Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries-dsc02323.jpg

the beach as such was pristine and Virgin Well maintained and good to spend some romantic moments with loved ones !!!
Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries-dsc02320.jpg

On our way back, we took Pondy - Tindivanam - Chetpet - Gingee bypass - Arnee - Vellore route. Roads from Tindivanam to Arnee is in very bad shape and it takes you to some remotest part of TN villages - It was an experience to see how life is lead in those parts !!! Please avoid this route. The locals in Tindivanam adviced to take this route against Vandavasi

Anyways, my manza was a perfect companion for my family and luggage. It easily took all 5 of us + 1 Kid and the luggage for 11 day outing with fuss. The highway speeds were between 80 - 130 Kmph. No boat like feeling, very stable.
The overall fuel efficiency came to 19 Kmpl.
Old 19th December 2011, 15:00   #412
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishpr View Post
The locals in Tindivanam adviced to take this route against Vandavasi
Don't know why this was suggested.
That is the most suggested route and validated/confirmed by many folks.
Old 19th December 2011, 16:26   #413

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky76 View Post
I am planning a trip to Pondicherry from Blore. Looking through this thread I came down to 3 routes. Which is the better of the 3?
I may be driving either a Xylo or an Accent. Seems like the best option is No.1 below reading through the thread. Would like to avoid the Kanchipuram route as it seems to have some heavy traffic in the town and longer too.
1)Bangalore->Krishnagiri->Vellore->Arcot->Cheyyar->Vandavasi->Acharapakkan->Tindivanam->Pondicherry (377 km)
2)Bangalore->Krishnagiri->Vellore->Arani->Chetpat->Gingee->Tindivanam->Pondicherry (383 km)
3)Bangalore->Krishnagiri->Vellore->NH234 to Tiruvannamalai->Gingee->Tindivanam->Pondicherry (401 km)

Thanks for the advice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The first option is the best. But the other two are that good options. The real contender is:
Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Vellore-Kanchi-Chengelpattu-Tindivanam-Pondicherry.

Many people take the above option because it maximises 4L usage. The negative:
- Going through Kanchi town
- Uneven roads on the SH between Kanchi-Chengelpattu (Recent updates say this is improvement. But I have not idea of the latest status).

But of the 440km of total distance, you drive on 4L for 400km!
How does the regular old route compare with the above 4 options with respect to time ?

Option 0 - Bangalore -> Hosur -> Krishnagiri -> Tiruvannamalai -> Gingee > Tindivanam -> Pondicherry - 320 kms

From the below posts by Nileshch and bdutta,
Team-BHP - The Definitive Indian Car Community (Planning : Bangalore-Pondicherry : Help Required)
Team-BHP - The Definitive Indian Car Community (Planning : Bangalore-Pondicherry : Help Required)

It is a time saving option by close to 1.5 hours apart from the least 320 kms distance. ( Nileshch - I am assuming your 5 hrs was without any breaks )

I am intending to take this as I need to reach early - I will be driving during the day in a small car. Since there are no rains now - maybe this should still be an OK drive.

What wayside petrol stations/decent eats do we have after Krishnagiri towards Pondi on this route ?

Any feedback/tips will be of great help.

Thanks,
Old 19th December 2011, 17:17   #414
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nampat View Post
I am intending to take this as I need to reach early - I will be driving during the day in a small car. Since there are no rains now - maybe this should still be an OK drive.

What wayside petrol stations/decent eats do we have after Krishnagiri towards Pondi on this route ?
Issue is that even though, distances are lower, about 120 odd km from Krishnagiri to Tiruvannamalai is really horrible. You would be driving at good speed and suddenly you would encounter a deep pot-hole. This way all your time you may gain by the shorter route would be lost. The difference in distance is hardly 70-80km.

(I am talking of the route via Arcot/Vandavasi and not Kanchi)

1: Route Via Tiruvannamalai : link
2, Route via Arcot: link

For the second, you have CCD at many places.
Old 19th December 2011, 18:24   #415
BHPian

Quote:
Option 0 - Bangalore -> Hosur -> Krishnagiri -> Tiruvannamalai -> Gingee > Tindivanam -> Pondicherry - 320 kms

It is a time saving option by close to 1.5 hours apart from the least 320 kms distance. ( Nileshch - I am assuming your 5 hrs was without any breaks )

Thanks,
Please do not take the Krishnagiri -Tiruvannamalai route. It's horribe to say the least. More so since you are taking a small cab/hatch, it will be terrible and you will be cursing yourself for taking that route. The 320Kms takes around 8-9 hours if you take that route. B-lore to Krishnagiri is just 90 Mins but the rest of the time is consumed reaching Pondy in those pot filled roads.

Goto Vellore - Arcot - Vandavasi - Tindivanam. Im sure you will reach faster.
Old 20th December 2011, 08:26   #416
BHPian

Quote:
How does the regular old route compare with the above 4 options with respect to time ?

@nampat, yes, those five hours were a non-stop drive. I was in a hurry and had to reach Bangalore early. The road is ok except the last 30 kms or so from Thiruvanamalai to Krishnagiri (or the first if you are travelling in the other direction) where the road disappears into the surrounding greenery! All you get is a moonscape surrounded by trees! Also you are travelling in a small car, you will feel the contours of the moonscape down to your bones . Unless really urgent for you to reach early, I would discourage you from taking this route.

I did not find any pitstops worth mentioning apart from the small teashops and restaurants in the towns on the road.

Last edited by nileshch : 20th December 2011 at 08:33.
Old 22nd December 2011, 20:48   #417
BHPian

Avoid, avoid, avoid. Tindivanam- krishnagiri, not worth an attempt. Stick to vellore route please.
Old 22nd December 2011, 21:10   #418
BHPian

The stretch from krishnagiri to tindivanam of 170kms was awarded for 2 laning and pavement of road shoulders to transstroy corp, no start date specified. Since project has been awarded, NHAI has not spent on repairs this year and hence there ain't a road. Expect transstroy to start work this year or they lose a year in toll collection.
Old 23rd December 2011, 14:06   #419

Hi,

From Bangalore to Pondi via the Krishnagiri-Arcot-Vandavasi route, what petrol bunks can we get until Arcot ? ( I am assuming beyond that would not be too great ).

Any feedback on good ones and ones to avoid would be useful.

My apologies if this info is already available in any other thread.

Regards .... Namit
Old 23rd December 2011, 15:27   #420

Bangalore to Pondicherry - which route to take?

I am planning for pondicherry trip next week (28th of Dec 2011). I have pre booking at Anandham Residency. Could any one tell me the current road condition and route info?
Any info on restaurant for breakfast/lunch (like kamat or A2B etc) ?

Mod team note: Please use Search before opening a new thread. Thanks

Last edited by Jaggu : 23rd December 2011 at 18:49. Reason: Please use Search before opening a new thread. Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks