Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2011, 17:47   #421
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

I will be travelling again from Bangalore - Pondy this weekend. Would be leaving BLR at around 5 and plan to reach Pondy by 12. I suffered last year on Tiruvannamalai route and don't want to take chances this year. I would mostly go for the most preferred route Bangalore - Krishnagiri - Vellore - Arcot - Cheyyar - Vandavasi - Tindivaram - Pondy. I have a confusion between Vandavasi and Tindivaram. I see that you can go via Sothupakkam or Thellar. Which one is good? How about continuing from Sothupakkam and joining ECR. Is that good option?
Old 23rd December 2011, 19:03   #422
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar_setty View Post
I have a confusion between Vandavasi and Tindivaram. I see that you can go via Sothupakkam or Thellar. Which one is good? How about continuing from Sothupakkam and joining ECR. Is that good option?
Sothupakkam option, will help you join the GST (NH45) much earlier.
As a result of that you can by-pass Tindivanam completely.
You hit the 4L NH66 on the Tindivanam by-pass itself.

Definitely the 4L is better than ECR. But if you want to enjoy an ECR drive, you can give it a try.
Maybe while going try the 4L and the ECR-Sothupakkam on the way back?
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2011, 19:13   #423
BHPian

Hi Sridhar...i am also traveling tomorrow to Pondi via same route but would be starting around 6:30 am from Bangalore East ....lets hope we meet at a point. Cheers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar_setty View Post
I will be travelling again from Bangalore - Pondy this weekend. Would be leaving BLR at around 5 and plan to reach Pondy by 12. I suffered last year on Tiruvannamalai route and don't want to take chances this year. I would mostly go for the most preferred route Bangalore - Krishnagiri - Vellore - Arcot - Cheyyar - Vandavasi - Tindivaram - Pondy. I have a confusion between Vandavasi and Tindivaram. I see that you can go via Sothupakkam or Thellar. Which one is good? How about continuing from Sothupakkam and joining ECR. Is that good option?
Old 23rd December 2011, 19:43   #424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supratim07 View Post
Hi Sridhar...i am also traveling tomorrow to Pondi via same route but would be starting around 6:30 am from Bangalore East ....lets hope we meet at a point. Cheers.
I am planning to start early to avoid traffic. Nowadays Hosur Road is busy at 6:30 itself during weekends. I am starting from Jeevanbhimanagar and driving a White Ritz VXi. I will be taking couple of stops, first could be McD or A2B. Second would be some 20km before Vellore at a CCD after toll.
Old 28th December 2011, 10:50   #425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
The road is ok except the last 30 kms or so from Thiruvanamalai to Krishnagiri.
I traveled this route on my return to Bangalore,the above statement should be read as-only 30 Kms is Ok and the rest between Tindivanam to Krishnagiri is horrible.
Old 28th December 2011, 13:53   #426
BHPian

Hi All, Just back from Pondicherry trip and it was nice to have Sridhar as a Team BHP company all the way and back.We took Bangalore->Krishnagiri->Vellore->Arcot->Cheyyar->Vandavasi->Tindivanam->Pondicherry (396.4 km). Till Vellore, road is smooth 4 lane and then there lye's the tricky part to spot Arcot road from there. Just need to remember there would be one SSS college on the left hand side and we need to take right from there approx. distance 25-30km from Vellore. From there on till once reaches Tindivanam its SH-5 and its ok as many part patches are being layered now.From Tindivanam to Pondi 6 lane express way.By the way toll is being taken on this 6 lane expressway. Happy Driving.

Last edited by supratim07 : 28th December 2011 at 13:54. Reason: edit
Old 29th December 2011, 11:16   #427
Senior - BHPian

Those heading towards Pondy and coastal towns south of Pondy, be wary of this cyclone. At present its taking aim at coastal towns south of Pondy, with wind speeds in excess of 100 kmph !!

http://www.imd.gov.in/section/nhac/dynamic/cwind.htm
Old 29th December 2011, 13:07   #428
BHPian

Anyone going to Pondicherry tomorrow? If yes, then let me know. Need to hitch (1 pax) a ride!
Old 29th December 2011, 18:29   #429

Quote:
Originally Posted by supratim07 View Post
Hi All, Just back from Pondicherry trip and it was nice to have Sridhar as a Team BHP company all the way and back.We took Bangalore->Krishnagiri->Vellore->Arcot->Cheyyar->Vandavasi->Tindivanam->Pondicherry (396.4 km). Till Vellore, road is smooth 4 lane and then there lye's the tricky part to spot Arcot road from there. Just need to remember there would be one SSS college on the left hand side and we need to take right from there approx. distance 25-30km from Vellore. From there on till once reaches Tindivanam its SH-5 and its ok as many part patches are being layered now.From Tindivanam to Pondi 6 lane express way.By the way toll is being taken on this 6 lane expressway. Happy Driving.
Even I did the Blr-Pondy-Blr trip on the same route - except that I also did the Vandavasi-Sothupakkam-Tindivanam bit on the onwards drive. Same as above, the Vandavasi- Sothupakkam bit is being layered now. Return I did Tindivanam to Vandavasi on the SH5. Will post most details at a later date.

I also followed J Ravis directions ( Post 307 ) to cross Arcot and it was bang on - ( the return proved tricky infact )

A lot of thanks to this forum and to all contributors on this specific thread - helped me in every KM of this drive !

Regards .... Namit
Old 30th December 2011, 10:26   #430
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
Anyone going to Pondicherry tomorrow? If yes, then let me know. Need to hitch (1 pax) a ride!
Please check the weather status. (Hope its not too late for this post)
The cyclone has hit the coast at Pondicherry/Cuddalore.

Cyclone Thane makes landfall between Puducherry and Cuddalore, causes heavy rain
Old 30th December 2011, 13:58   #431
BHPian

Its not the right time to visit Pondicherry for new year eve......things are not the same from last week. Please do check News and posting by ampere.....better be safe.
Old 30th December 2011, 15:24   #432
Senior - BHPian

Pondicherry will take sometime to recover from the cyclone damage. Am told even the Promenade road on the beach front has taken some damage with no power supply since yesterday evening. Access to Pondicherry could also be difficult since only Tindivanam - Pondicherry road seems to be the least affected.
Old 30th December 2011, 16:08   #433
Senior - BHPian

Most of the telecom towers are down as well at the moment.Yesterday night winds have reported to have reached 100kph and the sea is roaring at the moment.Reports from a person who is presently stuck in a resort in Pondy.I would say postpone or cancel trips to Pondy atleast for the next two weeks.
Old 31st December 2011, 08:00   #434
BHPian

Quick update on conditions in Pondicherry (around Auroville) - as of this morning, (a) mobile services from Airtel have resumed (b) power is still out - restoration timelines are rumoured to be from 5 to 15 days (c) main roads around are cleared and traffic moving slowly. Shops are mostly still closed and getting difficult to get supplies.

I've decided to go get my family who were vacationing there. Before I start driving from Bangalore, wanted to know if Thindivanam->Pondicherry road is blocked or not. Or any alternate routes?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Last week I took the Arcot -> Cheyyar -> Vandavasi -> Thindivanam route and it was a breeze.
Old 31st December 2011, 08:59   #435
Senior - BHPian

ECR (the cash cow and prime bus route) and Tindivanam-Pondy would be the first to be cleared.

As of alternate routes, there is a route from Villupuram. Another is from Madurantakam, that hits ECR at Marakkanam (one of the less known bus routes from Madras).
narayans80 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks