Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2012, 11:51   #601
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Thanks Sir. Why didn't you choose Bangy - Krishnagiri - Vellore - Pondy route?

I'm regular to Mulbagal as it's my Native. So was thinking of some other route.
Old 13th August 2012, 12:10   #602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik1100 View Post
Thanks Sir. Why didn't you choose Bangy - Krishnagiri - Vellore - Pondy route?

I'm regular to Mulbagal as it's my Native. So was thinking of some other route.
I live on OMR 5 kms before Hosakote. Did not want to drive through the city to get to Hosur. Moreover, I like 2 lane undivided tree-lined roads, rather than barren 4 laned ones

Rajan
PatchyBoy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2012, 13:01   #603
BHPian

I have heard that between Krishnagiri and Arcot, there are many diversions on the road due to road widening. Are these diversions marked properly? also, is there any diversion in Vandavasi - Tindivanam - Pondi road?
I'll be driving on these roads for the first time, so if somebody helps with this information, it'll be very helpful.
Old 14th August 2012, 13:52   #604
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
I have heard that between Krishnagiri and Arcot, there are many diversions on the road due to road widening. Are these diversions marked properly? also, is there any diversion in Vandavasi - Tindivanam - Pondi road?
I'll be driving on these roads for the first time, so if somebody helps with this information, it'll be very helpful.
Diversions on Krishnagiri-Arcot GQ is not a big problem at all. Just that you are not able to hit very high speeds. You can maintain decent average.
Old 14th August 2012, 15:22   #605
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Diversions on Krishnagiri-Arcot GQ is not a big problem at all. Just that you are not able to hit very high speeds. You can maintain decent average.
Or, is going through Arni - Gingee - Tindivanam the better option? Kindly suggest!
Old 14th August 2012, 19:26   #606
BHPian

Quote:
Actually there aren't much deviations, possibly 2-3 in the entire stretch. You can't hit high speeds (>120-130 that is) because in many places there is no shoulder space left. The ones on the left lane would be driving closer to the right lane than normal. Where ever there are diversions, they are marked well.

BTW, this 6 laning nuisance starts immediately after Hosur itself.

Prasad
prasad14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2012, 19:39   #607
BHPian

any good food joint with washroom/toilet facilities for families after crossing Krishnagiri? Something like CCD /McD / A2B ?
Old 14th August 2012, 20:27   #608
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
any good food joint with washroom/toilet facilities for families after crossing Krishnagiri? Something like CCD /McD / A2B ?
There is a CCD just after Pallikonda toll. Its 5km to be exact!
But while driving towards Chennai, its on the other side. Along with CCD you also have a hotel Aryas.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2012, 20:45   #609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
I drove from B'lore to Pondi and back on 4th - 6th August. Route taken:

B'lore-Hosakote-Mulbagal-Chitoor-Ranipet-Arcot-Cheyyar-Vandavasi-Thindivanam - Pondi.
@ PatchyBoy, I am planning to take similar [Mulbagal, Ranipet, Arcot] route to Pondy. Can you help me with any landmarks to identify and cross Ranipet?
Did you follow the route suggested by Narayan/Ampere (Map Link) or any other?

@ All
I need some help to figure out my trip. I will be traveling with my wife and daughter(2yr old), in Santro.

1) Related to food breaks on this route: I plan to start on Sat 25th morning. I think Kamat @ Kolar may be a good place for breakfast.
But I plan to have lunch also before I check-in to my hotel (which is 10kms after Pondy, on Cuddalore road) - any suggestions?

2) Return via Kanchi: I plan to start return journey on Monday @ ~10am :
a) Is there any chance I might be able to catch Kamakshi & Ekambaram temples in Kanchi on these timings (around 1pm)?
b) Google shows this route via Vandavasi, Dusi (Link). Any comments on the state of this road SH116?

3) Recent updates on the thread suggest that major roads in Pondy are dug-up for civic works - any inputs on what places to see and what to avoid?

Thanks in advance!
Old 17th August 2012, 22:49   #610
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajiv0 View Post
2) Return via Kanchi: I plan to start return journey on Monday @ ~10am :
a) Is there any chance I might be able to catch Kamakshi & Ekambaram temples in Kanchi on these timings (around 1pm)?
If you want to return via Kanchi, then take the excellent 4-lane till Chengalpet and the exit to take the Kanchi road.
Old 18th August 2012, 00:00   #611
BHPian

Folks,

I am planning to visit Mahindra World City (on NH 45) for official work on next 2 days. I will be driving from Bangalore. The route I plan to take is BLR-Krishnagiri-Vellore-Kanchipuram-Chengalpattu-NH 45. Any suggestion e.g. will this be better or the one via chittoor will be better?

I specifically want to know how the road condition from Kanchipuram to Chengalpattu is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
If you don't mind adding an additional 80-90 kms then try this route. Bangalore to Kanchipuram via Bangalore Chennai expressway. It is around 270 odd kms. At Kanchi take a deviation. From there on its a 2 lane road for 170 kms viz Kanchi - Chengalpattu - Mahabalipuram - Pondi. So total distance is around 440 kms. Roads are excellent.
@Karty_83
Going by your post, I think, you recently did the Kanchipuram - Chengalpattu route. Could you please advise how the road condition is?

Thanks in advance.
Old 18th August 2012, 08:26   #612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere

If you want to return via Kanchi, then take the excellent 4-lane till Chengalpet and the exit to take the Kanchi road.
Thanks ampere. Will check out that road. Any input on temple timings??
Old 18th August 2012, 14:03   #613
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Any landmarks for which of the Kanchi turnoff(s) to take when going from Bangalore via Old Madras Route ?
In 2002 I had been to Kanchi on the Old Madras route and it was so simple then with good signage. On my recent trip to Chennai I saw multiple turnoffs marked for Kanchi so I was confused (one of them was just about 2Km ahead of the Sriperambudur toll).
Old 19th August 2012, 18:22   #614
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Any landmarks for which of the Kanchi turnoff(s) to take when going from Bangalore via Old Madras Route ?
In 2002 I had been to Kanchi on the Old Madras route and it was so simple then with good signage. On my recent trip to Chennai I saw multiple turnoffs marked for Kanchi so I was confused (one of them was just about 2Km ahead of the Sriperambudur toll).
@NPV,

To get on to the Kanchi-Chengelpattu SH, I think there is no option but to get into the city. Thats the only I dont majorly favour this option. Because one can easily lose minimum of 30 minutes.

No idea about which is the best one to latch on to the Chengelpattu SH.
But if I can guess it should be the last one (the first one from the Chennai side). But again I dont know about the exit beyond Sriperumbudur toll.

Will check that some time.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2012, 10:42   #615
BHPian

Took the route suggested by PatchBoy for the onward journey. Roads as per the description given by PatchyBoy. Only bottle neck was Tinidivanam, where the NH is less wider then a small galli, and adding to it, the market on either side, it's simply chaos.

Took this route while returning

https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr...mra=ls&t=m&z=9

Wanted to headback by the shortest route, via Thiruvannamalai and Krishnagiri. But upon seeing the deteriorating road conditions after Tindivanam, decided to head towards Vellore, and then Bangalore. Good roads all the way, but expect some busy roads near all the villages and towns

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks