Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2013, 08:58   #721
J.Ravi

re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdiatech View Post
Any idea which routes the Bus take, KSRTC or SRS or Sharma ?
All the buses [KSRTC/TNSTC/PTDC/private] go via the shortest route [Krishnagiri>Thiruvannamalai>Gingee>Tindivanam] route only.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 17th January 2013 at 08:59.

Old 17th January 2013, 13:15   #722
BHPian

Did a Pondicherry trip during the Christmas vacation. Took the Vellore, Arcot (bypass), Cheyyar, Vandavasi, Tindivanam to Pondicherry route. A decent route, the road after Arcot bypass are patchy. Get slowed down inside Vandavasi and Tindivanam. We were travelling on a week day and also started late from Bangalore. Tindivanam to Pondy is a breeze.

Seems like our vacation was jinxed. It rained on the second day and couldn't see much. My wife is now down with Typhoid is seems

We ate in mix of places of places (Surguru, Rendezvous, Madame Shanthe's, A2B (near the Vinakaya temple). Mind you, most of these are very expensive and make you wait for even the menu. For some reason Le Club on Dumas Street, didn't allow us to enter with our 6 year old son saying children aren't allowed since alcohol is served. Being teetotalers we were wondering who has an issue if we don't. Was it just alcohol or just an excuse to keep kids out we don't know.

Anyway we hope to revisit and have a more enjoyable time in future.
Old 17th January 2013, 13:53   #723
BHPian

Back from Pondicherry trip over the Sankranti weekend.

Route:

B'lore to Pondicherry -- decided to take the shortest route via Krishnagiri, Tiruvannamalai. It's a 100+ KM of sheer pain. Clearly that SH is seeing some widening and re-tarring project, but looks like it's been going on for sometime, and it's going to take a long while to complete. In a nutshell, if you have SUV with real fat-tires and don't mind a little jerky ride, but in a bug hurry, this might be the route to take. Contrary to a previous post, I hardly saw any state-transport buses on this route. The 303Kms (from Bommanhalli in B'lore, to Beach Road Pondicherry), was completed in my Logan (fully 'over'-loaded with 4 adults and 4 kids), in 7hours. Not bad given the road condition.

Pondicherry to B'lore -- decided to take the Vadivasi > Arcot > Vellore route. In another thread (or this one), someone had mentioned that they'd done this route in 6.5hours with 2 pit-stops (so, say 6hours non-stop). I think the person had a faulty watch or had a NOX+Jetpacks. I did 120-130Kmph for most of the good roads, and still took 8.5hours with no pit stops. Odo read 411Kms. Road condition, for most parts is decent, and even the worst parts (are better than the shortest route, and much shorter).

In a nutshell, if I've to do the trip again, and unless I find a mistake in the route taken, I might just stick to the shortest route, and drive a bit slower to minimize damage to my car. However a sedan / hatch especially with low ground-clearance and fully-loaded, recommend avoiding the Thiruvannamali route.
Old 17th January 2013, 14:23   #724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdutta View Post

Pondicherry to B'lore -- decided to take the Vadivasi > Arcot > Vellore route. In another thread (or this one), someone had mentioned that they'd done this route in 6.5hours with 2 pit-stops (so, say 6hours non-stop). I think the person had a faulty watch or had a NOX+Jetpacks. I did 120-130Kmph for most of the good roads, and still took 8.5hours with no pit stops. Odo read 411Kms. Road condition, for most parts is decent, and even the worst parts (are better than the shortest route, and much shorter).
We took the same route back to Bangalore and started at around 5:30 from Auroville and we reached Bangalore by 12:45 after 1 Big stop (45 mins) and Ambur and 2 small stops (30 mins) at Krishnagiri and Some HP Petrol Pump after Arcot. And this was in a Maruti Ritz. So yeah, this route is do-able in 6 hours straight.

PS: For anyone taking Krishnagiri-Tiruvanamalai route, I suggest please stop by at this Dosa place in Mathur. It'll be on your right hand sight before the Mathur bus stand junction. You'll see couple of ladies running this shop. Awesome Dosa, onion uttapa and amazing chutney. http://goo.gl/maps/muQaf

Last edited by creative420 : 17th January 2013 at 14:29. Reason: More info
Old 17th January 2013, 16:32   #725
BHPian

any feedback on the Harur-TVM-Gingee route ? Took it 8 months back and it was doable.
Old 17th January 2013, 23:10   #726
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
any feedback on the Harur-TVM-Gingee route ? Took it 8 months back and it was doable.
TVM-Gingee it seems has deteriorated. You can also try Tiruvannamalai-Villupuram-Pondicherry if you are driving to Pondicherry via this road.

I also read (from Polopm) that roads around Thanipadi are in great shape (Harur-Tiruvannamalai).
Old 18th January 2013, 06:31   #727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
TVM-Gingee it seems has deteriorated. You can also try Tiruvannamalai-Villupuram-Pondicherry if you are driving to Pondicherry via this road.

I also read (from Polopm) that roads around Thanipadi are in great shape (Harur-Tiruvannamalai).
I have to actually get to Vanur first, have some work in the Talk office there.
Now, the family wants to join and its going to be a road trip again with my 2.9yr old daughter !

Vellore Arcot route seems, really long..
Old 18th January 2013, 07:03   #728
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I have to actually get to Vanur first, have some work in the Talk office there.
Now, the family wants to join and its going to be a road trip again with my 2.9yr old daughter !

Vellore Arcot route seems, really long..
Sorry for the typo in my previous post. I meant roads around Thanipadi are NOT in good shape.

If it's Vanur it has to be via Tindivanam as it's shorter.
Old 20th January 2013, 18:59   #729
BHPian

Hi, Just got back from the pondy trip. It was very eventful weekend.
I took the Arcot route, this was my first time on this route.
This is a doable and better of all other routes to Pondy, with bad patches on and off from Cheyar to Tindivanam. But even on those patches you can do 60kmph, so not too bad.

I have seen a bit of discussion here on the time taken on that route. I completely agree that it can be done under 6 hours ! I was in an i10 and sedately driving between 80-100 only !

I also made a note of this for reference. My journey started from RajaRajeshwari Nagar and took the NICE after Kengeri.

Place ODO Time
RR Nagar 7236 4:00am
Hosur 7289 4:45
Krishnagiri 7337 5:20
Velore 7455 6:52
Arcot Bridge 7480 7:12
Cheyar 7518 7:48
Vandavasi 7538 8:12
Tindivanam 7574 8:45
Last toll gate , Auroville junction at the end of TindiVanam 6 lane, 7613 9:15

I was just under 5kms from Pondy, so its certainly doable in less than 6 hours, esp if you have a bigger/better car !

The detail route description (16-17 pointer in one of the pages) is perfect !
Just that you may miss VandaVasi By Pass, as its on a curve (en-route Pondy).
Also , before you hit Tindivanam, on left, sign posted for Chennai is the college road by pass of Tindivanam.(en-route Pondy)

On the way back , I left Auroville at 12:00 and reached my home at 5:45 pm.
Was stuck in Krishnagiri Toll for 13 minutes exact !! And slow moving traffic.
I should also say, that I drove non-stop both ways and could do it under 6 hours.

Last edited by vdiatech : 20th January 2013 at 19:23.
Old 23rd January 2013, 15:03   #730
BHPian

Planning to do a Pondicherry tour this weekend, kinda of late finalization
Driving in my WagonR Lxi. Please suggest me a good route with food options and also places to stay(for a couple and budget of Rs.1500/- max per night) in Pondicherry and to visit.
I'm starting early in the morning on this weekend.

Thanks very much in advance.

Regards,
Ramki
Old 23rd January 2013, 15:53   #731
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Please suggest me a good route with food options
The route: Bangalore>Kolar>Chittoor>Walajah>Arcot bypass>Cheyyar bypass>Vandavasi>Tindivanam College Road bypass>Pondy.

Bangalore to Mulabagilu: excellent 4 laned, toll-free NH 4.

Mulabagilu to Wallajah: good 2 laned NH 4.

Arcot bypass to Tindivanam bypass: good 2 laned SH.

Tindivanam to Pondy: excellent 4 laned toll road NH 66.

If you are not comfortable with driving on the busy 2 lane road between Mulabagilu and Wallajah, you can go via Hosur/Krishnagiri/Vellore.

For bypassing Tindivanam on College Road, follow this in the reverse order: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2673152

For food options on NH 4, you have Kamat Upachar at Narasapura [LHS while going from Bangalore, you have to go on the service road-attached to IOCL pump], Woody's at Kolar bypass [RHS below the flyover], Maiya's [RHS after Kolar bypass] and CCDs [one each on LHS at Narasapura, RHS after Kolar bypass and RHS before Chittoor bypass]. At Tindivanam bypass, Arya's near the junction of NH 45 and College Road bypass.
Quote:
places to stay(for a couple and budget of Rs.1500/- max per night) in Pondicherry
Hotel Jayaram. It has ample car parking facility and located on LHS of the main road towards the beach.

Bon voyage.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 23rd January 2013 at 16:03.
  (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2013, 09:53   #732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
The route: Bangalore>Kolar>Chittoor>Walajah>Arcot bypass>Cheyyar bypass>Vandavasi>Tindivanam College Road bypass>Pondy.

Bangalore to Mulabagilu: excellent 4 laned, toll-free NH 4.

Mulabagilu to Wallajah: good 2 laned NH 4.

Arcot bypass to Tindivanam bypass: good 2 laned SH.

Tindivanam to Pondy: excellent 4 laned toll road NH 66.

If you are not comfortable with driving on the busy 2 lane road between Mulabagilu and Wallajah, you can go via Hosur/Krishnagiri/Vellore.

For bypassing Tindivanam on College Road, follow this in the reverse order: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2673152

For food options on NH 4, you have Kamat Upachar at Narasapura [LHS while going from Bangalore, you have to go on the service road-attached to IOCL pump], Woody's at Kolar bypass [RHS below the flyover], Maiya's [RHS after Kolar bypass] and CCDs [one each on LHS at Narasapura, RHS after Kolar bypass and RHS before Chittoor bypass]. At Tindivanam bypass, Arya's near the junction of NH 45 and College Road bypass.

Hotel Jayaram. It has ample car parking facility and located on LHS of the main road towards the beach.

Bon voyage.
Thanks very much Ravi. That was quite an information.
Everything you have mentioned will be of much help to me.
Regarding the hotel, is there any lodge/hotel which is good and within my budget of Rs.1500(incl tax)?
Also, please inform me about the different attractions at Pondicherry and good food options to have lunch and dinner. would like to have lunch and dinner in outside hotel than the hotel/lodge as i feel will be expensive.
I've two days to stay. Will reach at 1 pm on 25th Jan at Pondi and return on 27th at around 11-12 pm.

Any idea about Hotel Mass

Thanks,
Ramki

Last edited by ramki067 : 24th January 2013 at 10:10.
ramki067 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2013, 10:26   #733
J.Ravi

Quote:
please inform me about the different attractions at Pondicherry.
1. Sri Aurobindo Ashram

2. Matrimandir, Auroville

3. Beach

4. Museum

5. Chunnambar Boat House

6. Manakula Vinayakar temple

For more information, please visit the following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Pondicherry

http://www.tripadvisor.in/Attraction...ndicherry.html

http://www.auroville.org/thecity/mat...ir/mm_main.htm

Old 24th January 2013, 12:01   #734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
1. Sri Aurobindo Ashram

2. Matrimandir, Auroville

3. Beach

4. Museum

5. Chunnambar Boat House

6. Manakula Vinayakar temple

For more information, please visit the following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Pondicherry

http://www.tripadvisor.in/Attraction...ndicherry.html

http://www.auroville.org/thecity/mat...ir/mm_main.htm
Thanks Ravi. I enquired in Jayaram Hotel but they are sold out. Any other hotels/lodges do you recommend?

Thanks,
Ramki
Old 24th January 2013, 12:03   #735
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, please inform me about the different attractions at Pondicherry

Just adding to J.Ravi's informative post:

At Chunnambar Boat House, you must ask for the boat ride to Paradise beach, it's a really beautiful beach. We opted for the Speed Boat for the onward trip, it was a really good experience. We spent a couple of hours on the beach and returned by the normal boat.
Better to reach Chunnambar Boat House before 9 am, else a huge crowd builds up, particularly on holidays

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks