Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2013, 21:27   #796
BANNED

re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Came back from Pondy yesterday and diligently followed the route given by raveesh_k ..Except that I got lost in narrow lanes of Arcot. Rest all good roads and minimal traffic.
Visited Auroville, Heritage Town, Beach

Car- Santro
Time taken : 7:30 hours.

Thanks all for the help
Deepalivg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2013, 12:07   #797
J.Ravi

I rode to Pondy on 23 April 2013 in my new Thunderbird 500. While returning to Chennai via Tindivanam bypass, I saw some new eateries that have come up next to Aarya's near the junction of NH 45 and College Road bypass, including a crowded Vasantha Bhavan. So, Bangalore folks can have a food break here before reaching Pondy that is still 40 km away.

Old 29th April 2013, 11:32   #798
Senior - BHPian

A close friend is traveling to Pondy over the weekend with his new fluidic verna. What's the best route as of now ? I visited Pondy a few months back but then that was via chennai since I had some work there and return also I had to back track the same route.
Old 29th April 2013, 12:51   #799
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
A close friend is traveling to Pondy over the weekend with his new fluidic verna. What's the best route as of now ? I visited Pondy a few months back but then that was via chennai since I had some work there and return also I had to back track the same route.
@RJ,

- Take the regular one via Vellore/Arcot/Cheyyar/Vandavasi/Tindivanam
- All towns have bypasses and its good take then them.
- Tindivanam bypass is also good.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2013, 21:56   #800
Senior - BHPian

Would september be a good time to visit pondy? also, what are the teambhp recommended places to stay while there? Something closer to the beach and not too expensive or outlandish.
Old 6th May 2013, 13:07   #801

@Dass:

We visited Pondi in September last year and the weather was pleasant then. (Probably because the 2 days that we stayed there, the temperature was lowest in the month). Also, we visited Pondi in March this year and on day one the weather was amazing and day 2, it was uncomfortably hot. So i guess you cant be very sure of the weather before hand..

We stayed at The Richmond, 12 Labourdonnais Street - its not beach view but a great location for moving around that area. The suite was great and felt reasonable for the comfort, feel and location. Not authentic french style though.

You can also stay at Ginger hotel- its economical. But of course, only if you want to come back here to spend the night and roam around the whole day. ACs are not great though. :(

If you are going in a busy season or weekend, do book in advance.

Enjoy..

Route:

Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Vellore-Vandavasi-Tindivanam-Pondicherry

We took this route on our way back from Pondicherry in March. The roads were mostly good except when you are crossing the villages.

We took about 8 hours including 2 breaks.
Old 8th May 2013, 18:12   #802
BHPian

Friends,

Planning a trip to Pondy this weekend. My destination would be a beach resort near St James Court @ ECR near pondy.

Will be leaving B'lore by 11 PM on Friday. Which route is the best for night driving (considering traffic, road conditions etc)?

Car: Fiesta Classic

or
Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Harur-T.V.Malai-Villupuram-Pondicherry
or
Bangalore-Hoskote-Cheyyar-Tindivanam-Pondicherry

Thanks in advance.
Old 8th May 2013, 18:38   #803
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsfreak View Post
Take the regular one via Vellore/Arcot/Vandavasi. That would be better in my opinion. And its better to via Hosur Krishnagiri.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2013, 18:58   #804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsfreak View Post
Friends,

Planning a trip to Pondy this weekend. My destination would be a beach resort near St James Court @ ECR near pondy.

Thanks in advance.
That's the best option for now via Arcot. All the way till Walajah there are deviations on the NH but the saving grace is that they are well marked. At the Walajah bypass take a U turn towards bangalore and you can see the board to Arcot. You hit a junction again and take the extreme left which is a bypass to Vandavasi. Well laid 2 lane roads and you can maintain a steady 100 clicks all through.

Since you are driving to ECR , dont take the bypass all they way to Pondy after Tindivanam. As you drive along on the bypass towards your left you will find a big board marked with route to "the dune".

Take this left and there is an auto stand right at the entrance. Drive along this road and no deviations anywhere, just follow the road. You will encounter a Y fork, keep to your right and drive along. The end of this road is ECR, once you hit ECR take a right. Drive for a km or so, St.James Court is on your left.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2013, 19:09   #805
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Take the regular one via Vellore/Arcot/Vandavasi. That would be better in my opinion. And its better to via Hosur Krishnagiri.
Thanks Ampere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
That's the best option for now via Arcot.
Thanks rjstyles69 for the detailed directions.

So, Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Vellore-Arcot-Vandavasi-Tindivanam-Pondicherry it is. Thanks once again, folks.
Old 17th May 2013, 20:58   #806
BHPian

Guys,

My Collegue is planning to drive down to Pondi over the weekend with his parents, after going through the forum he has decided to take the-
Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Vellore-Arcot-Vandavasi-Tindivanam-Pondicherry. He wanted to check how long the journey would take with the current road conditions.

Thanks!

MP
Old 18th May 2013, 07:32   #807
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
Guys,

My Collegue is planning to drive down to Pondi over the weekend with his parents, after going through the forum he has decided to take the-
Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Vellore-Arcot-Vandavasi-Tindivanam-Pondicherry. He wanted to check how long the journey would take with the current road conditions.

Thanks!

MP
The best route as of now and is easily doable in 7 hours.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2013, 17:08   #808
BHPian

In my previous post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2946196, I quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuli View Post
Was checking NHAI website - under Phase 3, the tender seems to have gone to Transstroy-OJSC consortium, no start date and naturally no end date too.
I have been hopeful that this regular route for Bangalore - Pondicherry via Krishnagiri > Samalapatti > Uthangarai > Tiruvannamalai > Pennathur > Gingee > Tindivanam > Pondicherry will get fixed. Perhaps all these years it has competed with this Hunsur - Gonikoppal stretch for potholes per sq meter, I was heartened when this chap who works at Imli in Indiranagar, apparently a native of Tiruvannamalai recently returned and said the roads are good via Krishnagiri. I was skeptical but I went back to the NHAI page and it seems to have an update. The start date is mentioned as April 2012 (appears backdated) and end date April 2014, which is an improvement since I last saw in October 2012.

Given these two developments, I am wondering if someone who has been bold enough to explore this route can confirm that indeed this route is fixed. Fingers crossed!
Old 23rd May 2013, 07:51   #809
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuli View Post
Given these two developments, I am wondering if someone who has been bold enough to explore this route can confirm that indeed this route is fixed. Fingers crossed!
I highly doubt about the timelines. The extent of damage to that road is pretty high. So even if they patch the roads, it would be quite bumpy to ride. Also also since, many use the Karimangalam-Harur-Tiruvannamalai option, we may not see many takers.
Old 24th May 2013, 00:05   #810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I highly doubt about the timelines. The extent of damage to that road is pretty high. So even if they patch the roads, it would be quite bumpy to ride. Also also since, many use the Karimangalam-Harur-Tiruvannamalai option, we may not see many takers.
That would be a shame. This tree lined route is so scenic. Besides, it is the shortest, so why wouldnt there be users. Whenever they get it done, being an NHAI project, I do hope it is sooner than later.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks