Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2013, 22:27   #961
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Did Pondy - Bangalore yesterday via Thiruvannamalai. HORRIBLE roads with construction happening from Tindivanam till Krishnagiri. NEVER take this route. Didn't get much time to do research on routes.

What a blunder!

:(
Yup I did also took this route on our journey back to BLR and regretted every KM of it (till K'giri). That NH66 is just plain horrible (all of it from Tindivanam till Krishnagiri).

While going I had taken the Vellore route and that was such a bliss (thankfully had missed the turn to NH66 at Krishnagiri while going and had continued on the Vellore highway).

For any Pondicherry travelers serious advice - avoid the Tiruvanamalai - Tindi stretch. Take the SH to Vellore instead.
Old 22nd October 2013, 12:50   #962
BHPian

Planning a trip to Pondy from Bangalore
1st Nov early morning Blore to Pondy
4th nov early morning Pondy to Blore

Would love to join any other BHPians also planning to go, give a shout out plz
sudipto.maulik@gmail.com
Old 22nd October 2013, 13:26   #963
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungrygamer View Post
Planning a trip to Pondy from Bangalore
1st Nov early morning Blore to Pondy
4th nov early morning Pondy to Blore

Would love to join any other BHPians also planning to go, give a shout out plz
sudipto.maulik@gmail.com
I will also be holidaying at Pondicherry on the same dates - Starting 1st November early morning, but return (reach back to Bangalore) by sunday night. We are 3 families in 2 cars.
We are planing to take the Vellore - Arcot- Thindivanam route. If you see a tuscan wine color punto with LTD on right side of the bumper , do wave
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2013, 15:17   #964
BHPian

Any reviews on Dumas Guest House, Pondicherry? Trying to find acco between 1st Nov to 4th Nov! http://www.tripadvisor.in/Hotel_Revi...ndicherry.html
Old 24th October 2013, 08:54   #965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
If you see a tuscan wine color punto with LTD on right side of the bumper , do wave
Look for me too. Beige T Jet with small number plate sticker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond_bhai View Post
Any reviews on Dumas Guest House, Pondicherry?
Stayed here in October 2010. Very nice place and I found it value for money (in 2010), considering the location. I don't know how I forgot about this place this time around as I am headed to the coast on November 1st weekend. Ended up reserving at Nature Loft after reading about them on Conde Nast travel magazine. Trip advisor does not have any positive reviews but I am a bit stuck for options as its the only pet friendly joint. I don't think we ever had food at the place so won't comment on that. Being in the heart of white town, we used to walk to places of interest. Duma's in not five star in any sense of it. Its a house converted to a little hotel. Bedrooms are nice, roomy and clean, so are the rest rooms. Highly recommended. I hope they have maintained their standards. Back in 2010, there was a pony tailed gentleman who looked like the owner or care taker.. An Enfield lover too. Nice man. You might find some rotting Enfields in the yard.
Old 24th October 2013, 10:23   #966
CJP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
I will also be holidaying at Pondicherry on the same dates - Starting 1st November early morning, but return (reach back to Bangalore) by sunday night. We are 3 families in 2 cars.
We are planing to take the Vellore - Arcot- Thindivanam route. If you see a tuscan wine color punto with LTD on right side of the bumper , do wave
We are also planning a drive to Pondicherry on the same dates - Starting 1st Nov., early in the morning and driving back on the 4th Nov. Planning to take the same route as you.

If you see a dark grey Innova with 'Got BHP' sticker on the rear windshield, wave, honk, flash your lights
Old 24th October 2013, 10:42   #967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJP View Post
We are also planning a drive to Pondicherry on the same dates - Starting 1st Nov., early in the morning and driving back on the 4th Nov. Planning to take the same route as you.

If you see a dark grey Innova with 'Got BHP' sticker on the rear windshield, wave, honk, flash your lights
Looks like a T-BHP rush hour at Pondicherry! We too are visiting Pondicherry from 6-9th Nov.

Any idea about the food options there? I am yet to figure out best French cuisine places in Pondy.
Old 24th October 2013, 22:44   #968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
Looks like a T-BHP rush hour at Pondicherry! We too are visiting Pondicherry from 6-9th Nov.

Any idea about the food options there? I am yet to figure out best French cuisine places in Pondy.
I agree with you. It is so difficult to not spot a LTD sticker on any trip.
One suggestion is to park on Lal Bahadur Shastri street closer to the sea end and walk around for options. Some say Villa Shanti is good. I tried a small place called Artika gallery that is this cozy place tucked away opposite the Richmond on Labourdonnais Street running perpendicular to Lal Bahadur Shastri street. These parts are very Goa like without the touristy commercial feel that Goa's Baga etc offer. This area is charming, laid back, some nice options. The larger establishments like Promenade offer bigger spreads, but lack the character or charm of the smaller places. Here is a link to Artika on Tripadvisor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Yup I did also took this route on our journey back to BLR and regretted every KM of it (till K'giri). That NH66 is just plain horrible (all of it from Tindivanam till Krishnagiri).

While going I had taken the Vellore route and that was such a bliss (thankfully had missed the turn to NH66 at Krishnagiri while going and had continued on the Vellore highway).

For any Pondicherry travelers serious advice - avoid the Tiruvanamalai - Tindi stretch. Take the SH to Vellore instead.
You might have missed that right turn to Thirunvanamalai because now you have a flyover at that junction that is great for those going towards Chennai from Krishnagiri side. To get onto NH66 one should go below this flyover, which is some 1-1.5km from Krishnagiri NH7-NH45 intersection.

I am every hopeful that the NH66 road will get fixed since it is quite scenic and shortest for Bangalore - Pondicherry.

Here is an update from NHAI for the month of August 2013.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries-pondiaug13nhaistatus.png  

Last edited by aah78 : 25th October 2013 at 20:19. Reason: Posts merged. Please use QUOTE+ / " " MULTI-QUOTE when responding to multiple posts. Thanks!
Old 25th October 2013, 01:23   #969
BHPian

Hi All,

Planning to do Blr Pondy over this weekend. Tried reading through the thread but now I am confused as to which is the best (driving ease & pleasure) route to onwards as well as while returning.

I am planning to take the following route:

Blr- Hosur- Krishnagiri - Vellore - Arcot (By Pass) - Cheyyar (By Pass) - Vandavasi (By Pass) - TIndivanam? - Pondy

Does the above route essentially by passes Tindivanam by College road bypass?

While returning is the Arcot bypass the same way? taking the dry river bed bridge?

Any nice eateries in Pondycherry? Planning to try any good french restaurant. Any must visit places? Planning to cover Promenade, Pottery Studio (?) and Auroville. Stay would be on a resort near ECR bit away from the main town.

Thanks
Old 25th October 2013, 04:31   #970
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelWake View Post

Any nice eateries in Pondycherry?

Thanks
Le Club Pondicherry
Villa Shanti
LB2 Lounge

LB2 lounge is owned by a friendly person named Upendra. The food is good and the ambiance is nice. You can tell that a couple who came from Kolkata in a white Bolero in May has recommended the place
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2013, 07:17   #971
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am planning to take the following route:

Blr- Hosur- Krishnagiri - Vellore - Arcot (By Pass) - Cheyyar (By Pass) - Vandavasi (By Pass) - TIndivanam? - Pondy
Thats the one.

Quote:
Does the above route essentially by passes Tindivanam by College road bypass?
Yes

Quote:
While returning is the Arcot bypass the same way? taking the dry river bed bridge?
Yes. But you don't go over the bridge. The instant you reach the bridge end point you driving towards Bangalore.

Last edited by moralfibre : 25th October 2013 at 09:52.
Old 25th October 2013, 09:09   #972
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Stayed here in October 2010. Very nice place and I found it value for money (in 2010), considering the location.
Does Dumas have parking space? Saw in their site as they have, however as per the pics it looks like entry to hotel is right on to road.
Old 25th October 2013, 09:40   #973
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Le Club Pondicherry
Villa Shanti
LB2 Lounge

LB2 lounge is owned by a friendly person named Upendra. The food is good and the ambiance is nice. You can tell that a couple who came from Kolkata in a white Bolero in May has recommended the place
Also try Rendezvous. I loved their Sea food platter.
Old 25th October 2013, 11:23   #974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Does Dumas have parking space? Saw in their site as they have, however as per the pics it looks like entry to hotel is right on to road.
Parking can be done on the Dumas street itself. This street is parallel to the "marine drive" of pondicherry (first parallel road). Most of the villas/guest houses would not have parking; guests are supposed to park on the road, which is safe enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Le Club Pondicherry
Villa Shanti
LB2 Lounge

You can try Le Maison Rose.
Le Club should be ok, but they dont allow kids sometimes.

Place named "The Indian Kaffe Express" features on tripadvisor ranking, as a place for indian food. But dont go there for indian food, no variety. For example in non-veg only 2 items are there - biriyani and butter chicken.

For "desi" food, you can try place named Asian at the end of the Dumas street, the south end. This is a regular restaurant/bar, which serves all cuisine with speciallity in chinese.

Quote:
Hi All,

Any must visit places? Planning to cover Promenade, Pottery Studio (?) and Auroville. Stay would be on a resort near ECR bit away from the main town.
If you visit Auroville, try stopping by the Auroville bakery on the way from Auroville reception to ECR.
If you are looking to have lunch around Auroville, try Roma's Kitchen, again between Auroville reception and ECR. There are boards to guide you to this place, also use google maps.
I did not have food at Roma's, but the location of the place is nice, very quite and natural ambience. Place closes at around 3pm.

Last edited by aah78 : 25th October 2013 at 20:19. Reason: Posts merged. Please use QUOTE+ / " " MULTI-QUOTE when responding to multiple posts. Thanks!
pkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2013, 11:47   #975
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Does Dumas have parking space?.

No. Parking is on the street where dumas is located. It is very safe as there is next to no movement of traffic. It is also kept quite clean.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed