Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2014, 17:59   #1201
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The bypass begins before you enter Tindivanam. The bypass is also called College road.

My only hitch to take the OMR is the horrible Varthur road. If they can fix it, then access to OMR/NH4 would be good. I am surprised they have not fixed it yet.

PS: Or may be I should be surprised if they have fixed it!
Which part of Varthur road are you talking about? I don't think any part of Varthur road is that bad that you should avoid it. I am bored of this Hosur - Krishnagiri route and that is the reason for taking OMR. The last time I drove on this road was in 2007 July.
Old 2nd September 2014, 18:04   #1202
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Which part of Varthur road are you talking about? I don't think any part of Varthur road is that bad that you should avoid it. I am bored of this Hosur - Krishnagiri route and that is the reason for taking OMR. The last time I drove on this road was in 2007 July.
I meant this section:

Route Link
Old 2nd September 2014, 18:24   #1203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I meant this section:

Route Link
Kadugodi to Hoskote is newly laid and in good condition now. Palm meadows to Whitefield is patchy but not bad.

BTW - Do you stay near Palm Meadows?
Old 14th September 2014, 11:38   #1204
BHPian

Did Pondy Bangalore via Vandavasi Arcot. Would like to try Pallikonda Kannamangalam Arani Vandavasi during the return leg. Any updates on this stretch? Thanks in advance
Old 14th September 2014, 13:23   #1205
BHPian

Quote:
I meant this section:
This section has been relaid. Travelled to Chennai via this section-Hoskote-Chittoor-last week-great drive.

Came back via Coonoor and entered Whitefield via Attibele (Kanakpura then onto NICE road) as missed the turn off for Dommasandra -Chandrapura Road-it is an MDR-forgetting the number. The traffic on SH 35, right from Attibele till Sarjapura was killing. Stay near Whitefield Bus stand.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 15th September 2014 at 17:26. Reason: fixed broken quote
Old 14th September 2014, 17:04   #1206
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns94 View Post
Did Pondy Bangalore via Vandavasi Arcot. Would like to try Pallikonda Kannamangalam Arani Vandavasi during the return leg. Any updates on this stretch? Thanks in advance
Expect the regular TN state highways. For leisure and the fun of finding a new road, it might be worth. But if you are with family dont expect any decent hotels.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2014, 17:11   #1207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns94 View Post
I have been on the Vellore-Arani-Vandavasi route once before. The 2 lane roads were in a good condition then. Even this route can be thought of to go to Pondicherry.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 14:27   #1208
BHPian

Onward and return journeys through Tindivanam Vandavasi Cheyyar Arcot Krishnagiri. Good roads throughout except for a small stretch before and after Cheyyar. Its a bit confusing to catch Vandavasi road ( especially near the Palar bridge ), but managed it without a mess.
Old 15th September 2014, 23:50   #1209
BHPian

Help with Pondicherry Trip plan

I and my wife are planning for a road trip to Pondicherry this weekend. We're planning to stay there for 3 days. Need your suggestions for the following:

1) Best hotel/resort to stay, preferably beach facing resort within a budget of 5k per night. I saw in images that some parts of the beach are rocky and not usable.
Hotel/resort with car parking space preferable.

2) Best option to roam around? Car or rent a scooter/bike? Best place to rent the bike/scooter?
Old 16th September 2014, 09:00   #1210
BHPian

All the beach facing resorts are either on the ECR or the pondy cuddalore road and I'm not sure if they would fall within the price bracket you are looking in. However there are plenty of guest houses in the French Quarter inside pondy town. The walk to the main beach facing (rocky) road is called the promenade road and it is in the French Quarter. The only upmarket hotel per se there to my knowledge is the promenade hotel. IMHO the guest houses offer more value because none of the fancy resorts actually have a private beach. Infact the beach access from the resorts has time restrictions. The access is closed in the evenings and the only time you can actually dare venturing out onto the beach is in the evening because of the weather.
Most places in town have limited parking but you can always Park the car out on the street. It is pretty safe. If you stay in the French Quarter walking around is the best option as everything is within a 10 minute range. You can otherwise just take rickshaw if you want to venture out onto nehru Street for shopping as parking on any day is a nightmare. Also I wouldn't advise riding a 2 Wheeler out on the ECR as the traffic is very erratic.
Please PM me if you want any help. I'm a frequent traveler to pondy. Infact I spend 2 weeks a month there because the wife is studying there.

Cheers!!
zombiedriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2014, 11:14   #1211
BHPian

Re: Help with Pondicherry Trip plan

@zombiedriver: Thanks a ton for the response. You nicely summed up the answers to all my queries. Still deciding between Sakleshpur and Pondicherry, finally gotta go with whatever wifey decides (sigh!).

Thanks again, and have a nice day!

Last edited by GTO : 16th September 2014 at 14:30. Reason: Post here, not via PM. Information posted here helps other readers too
Old 16th September 2014, 11:29   #1212
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion_blore View Post
1) Best hotel/resort to stay, preferably beach facing resort within a budget of 5k per night. I saw in images that some parts of the beach are rocky and not usable.
Hotel/resort with car parking space preferable.
I stayed at Le Pondy and managed to get a heavy discount when i booked through goibibo. The beach at Le Pondy is an extension of the paradise beach stretch and is very clean. You could also try Kailash resort which is right next to Le Pondy and has a good stretch of non rocky beach. More details Here

Quote:
2) Best option to roam around? Car or rent a scooter/bike? Best place to rent the bike/scooter?
If you are driving down to Pondy, then you could drive around in your own vehicle
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2014, 14:35   #1213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
I stayed at Le Pondy and managed to get a heavy discount when i booked through goibibo. The beach at Le Pondy is an extension of the paradise beach stretch and is very clean. You could also try Kailash resort which is right next to Le Pondy and has a good stretch of non rocky beach.
Thanks for the info. Searched for Le Pondy and unfortunately it is completely booked for the weekend. Will check out Kailash Resort as suggested by you.
Old 16th September 2014, 14:40   #1214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would suggest you rent a scooter to roam around. I found the two wheeler traffic to be very heavy when I had visited there last year and driving around in my car was not very comfortable.
Old 17th September 2014, 10:31   #1215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nothing to beat your own vehicle. I suppose you will be driving down to Pondy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks