Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2015, 20:03   #1366
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If A2B is crowded you can also break at Sarava Bhavan on NH7 2-3km after Chennai exit. No idea about lunch points at Villupuram. The other option is go to Pondicherry via the regular route (Arcot/Cheyyar). And visit Thirukkoilur temple on the way back. So that you dont have to break for food as you start after breakfast. You would be near Krishnagiri for lunch and you have options.
Thanks ampere. Being a wednesday, i don't expect too much crowd at Chinnar A2B. Ofcourse, Saravana bhavan is also next good option.

I am not returning to Bangalore from Pondy via Thirukoilur. I'll be driving to KMU from Pondy further and return to Bangalore from KMU.

Hence the need to stop at Thirukoilur in onward journey.

-Ravi
Old 27th April 2015, 06:50   #1367
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Then I am not sure of any good hotels. You will need to hunt around for any at Villupuram.
Old 27th April 2015, 07:26   #1368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Thanks ampere. Being a wednesday, i don't expect too much crowd at Chinnar A2B. Ofcourse, Saravana bhavan is also next good option.

I am not returning to Bangalore from Pondy via Thirukoilur. I'll be driving to KMU from Pondy further and return to Bangalore from KMU.

-Ravi
Ravi, When i went to Tirulloilur some time back, I remember having lunch at a hotel that was pretty close to the Ulagalandha Perumal temple. Not sure of the name though.
Once you enter Tirukkoilur, you can check with the locals.
Old 7th May 2015, 02:02   #1369
BHPian

I am riding off to Pondicherry on the 23rd May and this is the route I plan to take: Bangalore-Vellore-Arcot-Cheyyar-Vandavasi-Tindivanam-Pondicherry. I need info on the road conditions from Vellore to Pondicherry. Has anyone who has traveled on this stretch recently please let me know.
Also, I would be staying in Pondicherry for one night so I wanted to know what is a decent hotel to stay at. I will be travelling alone and am not looking at any expensive place for the night.
Your timely inputs are much appreciated.
Old 7th May 2015, 07:31   #1370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snehal Sekhar View Post
I am riding off to Pondicherry on the 23rd May and this is the route I plan to take: Bangalore-Vellore-Arcot-Cheyyar-Vandavasi-Tindivanam-Pondicherry. I need info on the road conditions from Vellore to Pondicherry. Has anyone who has traveled on this stretch recently please let me know.
Also, I would be staying in Pondicherry for one night so I wanted to know what is a decent hotel to stay at. I will be travelling alone and am not looking at any expensive place for the night.
Yep, This is the most preferred route to Pondicherry. We have bypasses for all the towns enroute.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2015, 08:11   #1371
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
As Suresh said, all the three towns (Cheyyar, Vandavasi and Tindivanam) have bypasses but...

- The ones at Cheyyar an Vandavasi are not at all marked. See Google map routes provided in earlier posts
- The most confusing is Tindivanam. There is a nice bypass. But here you will the bypass pointing on to Chennai and the board says head straight into town for Pondicherry.
- Don't do that. Take the bypass which says Chennai. Once you hit NH45, drive towards Tindivanam/Trichy. You will see the NH66 exit some distance ahead.

That board indicating Pondicherry straight has confused many and they all end up getting into Tindivanam town.

Last edited by ampere : 7th May 2015 at 08:12.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2015, 14:46   #1372
BHPian

Quote:
You could try Hotel Surguru. It is a decent enough place not more than 2k a night and has a good vegetarian restaurant.
luvurride is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2015, 18:00   #1373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Yep, This is the most preferred route to Pondicherry. We have bypasses for all the towns enroute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
As Suresh said, all the three towns (Cheyyar, Vandavasi and Tindivanam) have bypasses but...
Thanks for the route info suresh and ampere. How are the roads btw? Are they as smooth as the Bangalore - Chennai roads? Since I will be on a bike, would want to know if there is anything about the road that I should be aware of for example: speed breakers, bad patches/stretches of road. It's good to be prepared and know what to encounter on the way than to be in for a surprise. Thanks again for your timely inputs.

Last edited by Snehal Sekhar : 7th May 2015 at 18:01.
Old 7th May 2015, 18:04   #1374
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for the route info suresh and ampere. How are the roads btw? Are they as smooth as the Bangalore - Chennai roads? Since I will be on a bike, would want to know if there is anything about the road that I should be aware of for example: speed breakers, bad patches/stretches of road. It's good to be prepared and know what to encounter on the way than to be in for a surprise. Thanks again for your timely inputs.
They are in superb condition. Yes there are humps in these towns, but other wise they are amazing to ride on. Even with sedate speeds and an early morning start you should not take more than five and a half hours for drive time.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 09:26   #1375
BHPian

Gentlemen, I'm planning a ride to Pondicherry for an overnighter very soon, probably at the end of this month.
I have the HSRP 'IND' Number Plate on my bike. Now, I've been hearing stories that the local Pondy cops are cracking down on vehicles with IND plates. Mine's not fake, it's been issued by the RTO after paying the government regulated fees.

That being said, do I need to worry about cops flagging me down? If yes, is there any preventive action that I can take?
Old 8th May 2015, 18:16   #1376
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
That being said, do I need to worry about cops flagging me down? If yes, is there any preventive action that I can take?
If the number plate is issued by the RTO and if it complies to the specifications of the ammedned rule 50 Central Motor Vehicle Rules, then there is nothing to worry about. The checking was brought into place due to the large number of fake HSRP on the streets.
Anyway if the cops still want to catch you stating that your number plate is not correct, there is no preventing that. They could catch you for any whimsical reason they feel like. As much as I've heard the checking is not happening on any out of state vehicles and it is mostly vehicles registered locally that they are after.
If you still feel that there could be an issue, I suggest you mask the Ind Hologram that is on the number plate with a white tape or something like that.
Snehal Sekhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2015, 17:41   #1377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Gentlemen, I'm planning a ride to Pondicherry for an overnighter very soon, probably at the end of this month.
I have the HSRP 'IND' Number Plate on my bike. Now, I've been hearing stories that the local Pondy cops are cracking down on vehicles with IND plates. Mine's not fake, it's been issued by the RTO after paying the government regulated fees.

If your number plate is a genuine HSRP, then you don't need to worry as far Pondy is concerned. Almost all vehicles in Pondy have genuine HSRP. Just check if your vehicle paper (RC) has a mention that the vehicle has been fitted with HSRP and point it in case you face issues with Pondy cops (which I guess won't happen at all! ) You may face issues in TN where there is a crackdown on fancy IND plates (Genuine ones won't create any problem )
Safe drive, Hope you enjoy your trip
Cheers
Old 15th May 2015, 15:12   #1378
BHPian

Guys,

I need your help.
I am planning to travel to Pondicherry from Bangalore on 22nd May for 3 days.
I will be hiring innova for this trip. The cab guys tell me that I will have to
pay 2 permits
1) Tamilnadu permit for Rs 1000
2) Pondicherry permit for Rs 1000

Please confirm if permit for 3 days is indeed this high or cab guys are inflating the permit cost.

Thanks
rawnak
Old 16th May 2015, 05:22   #1379
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawnak View Post
Guys,

I need your help.
pay 2 permits

Please confirm if permit for 3 days is indeed this high or cab guys are inflating the permit cost.

Thanks
rawnak
Might be true. If the Innova is a KA registered then permit needs to be obtained for state crossing. KA-TN is a sure yes. Not sure about the Pondicherry part. May want to confirm with others. Also does the amount depend on vehicle type? I think for a Dzire I paid to the order of 500-700. (I think) for KA-TN.
Old 16th May 2015, 18:32   #1380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawnak View Post
Guys,

I need your help.
pay 2 permits

Thanks
rawnak
Will share my personal experience. i did use a TN Tempo traveller and had to go to Thirunallar which is part of Pondy UT. The driver promptly informed about getting the permit as well as consequence of not getting. I told him to get the permit just before entering Pondy. The moment we entered Pondy city, cops stopped our vehicle and checked for permit.

As far as Pondicherry is concerned there are traffic cops who are watchful of other state cabs and it is no way that you can escape their eyes. The fines are heavy. It is better to get the permit both for TN and Pondy.

For permit amount, you can accompany your cab driver to RTO office before entering TN and Pondy. During 2012, remember paying Rs.500/- for Tempo traveller as permit for Pondy.

Most Viewed