Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2009, 19:56   #31

Bangalore to Pondicheery route

If anyone has travelled from Bangalore to Pondicherry recently, please let me know the route with good road conditions and the journey duration.
Old 11th September 2009, 17:39   #32
srb

Bangalore to Pondicherry

Hi ,

I am planning to drive to Pondicherry during the Dasara holidays( Sep last week). Pl suggest the best route/road conditions to be taken .

I am planning to stay in Pondicherry for 2 days . Any suggestions on places to visit is also welcome .

Thanks
Old 11th September 2009, 19:37   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srb View Post
Hi ,

I am planning to drive to Pondicherry during the Dasara holidays( Sep last week). Pl suggest the best route/road conditions to be taken .

I am planning to stay in Pondicherry for 2 days . Any suggestions on places to visit is also welcome .

Thanks
You could check my travelogues to Pondy here (Travelogue : The Newly Weds and their getaway to the East coast.) and here (Travelogue : Destination anywhere along the East Coast !!). Might be of some help.
Old 11th November 2009, 13:13   #34
Senior - BHPian

Suggestions on budget hotels in Pondy ? Around 1-1.5K budget.
Old 13th November 2009, 13:22   #35

Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Suggestions on budget hotels in Pondy ? Around 1-1.5K budget.
Try Hotel Corbelli, i have not stayed here yet, going to stay tommorow 14 Nov for one night, Reviews are decent and is near the white town.. all the major attrcations are walkable.. I have read good reviews on Trip advisor. Hence booked..but not payed yet. will let u know on my return
Old 13th November 2009, 14:11   #36
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Neeraj, do provide a feedback on returning.

Has anyone stayed at Ginger hotels in Pondy? Reviews on the net look good.
Old 18th November 2009, 12:54   #37

Yes i am back on my workstation now. Okay as i said i stayed in Hotel corbelli and Route taken : Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Thiruvannamalai-Gingee-Thindivanam-Pondy ( abt 320 kms).

So lets talk about the route first, there are lot of questions been asked about this route.

I started at 4:00 AM (i stay in north bangalore) crossed Infy at about 4:30 AM. I was at the toll gate towards Krishanagiri 4:50. road is excellent 4 lane highway, cannot ask more as it was still dark(Mid Nov) and drizzling. Did about 90km/hr. Took the left after the fly over at Krishnagiri (by pass) DO NOT take the second fly over which says chennai after turning left took next right towards Pondy. Huge sign borad you cannot miss it.

Road is single lane and potholed in patches, so it is advisable to drive during daylight, i was there at 5:30. Took a short tea break at one road side shak at 5:30 Traffic is really less, one odd lorry, so it is easy to manouver around some potholes. So almost did the entire patch without a thud. I have a swift dzire, suspensions are nice comfortable, only challenge is Headlights. I am not comfortable driving it on single lane Highway in dark. By the the way POT holes are not as much as they use to be in 2007-8. Road is much better, bit the problem is if most of the road is smooth and suddenly you get one Pot hole. Either you have to break hard or sway towards right, with on comming traffic it becomes risky, so i drive like 70/80, that way you have better control. Till Trivanamali road has some potholes, after crossing Thiruvannamalai road is better towards Ginge. So you can touch 100 also in patches, bit as the day breaks and Villigers /school kids start to use the same road. It is advisable to keep speed under 80. From Ginge to Tindivanam is also great streach, just watch out for few large creaters (they are not potholes). I guess the new road was made of weak material and caved in at few places, thanks to our over loaded lorries, so if you are at decent speed you can manage to take you car around those, which i did either way. After Tindivanam there is 4 lane highway being constructed, but presently only 2 lanes of the road is available. I think should be ready by 2010. I did about 100 on that road stretch of about 50KM. I reached Pondy at 11:00. I took the same route going back to Bangalore.

About Hotel Corbelli: Neat hotel remember to take rooms facing the road, ensure you book that when you call up the hotel. Staff only knows Tamil, people at reception can manage english. If you can take a deal without B/f it will be better, i paid 1350 including b/f.
Advantage of the hotel is that it is close and walkable from all POdy's fav areas like : Gandhi statue, French heritage area, good restaurants, and also has one Parking shed. Most of the hotels near the heritage area/market do not have parking. I was staying only one night here and rest at a resort, so really did not mind hotel being on the crowded street. It was on my wife's agenda to do shopping in pondy so had dedicated 14th Nov for that. Urfotunately it was raining in pody so there was no sunday market hence had to strike it off the agenda.

Let me know if you have any questions about the hotel or the route to Pondy from Bangalore.

Yes i stayed at Ginger in 2007, it was brand new then it was world class business hotel. You do not have room service etc. but really you will not mind. What do we carry, 2 handbags and a suitcase you can put it on to a trolley and take it up the elevator.
These days they have a package deal rs 2999(2 night and 3 days) with breakfast. Only down side is the location. NOT walkable from main action place in pondy, you have to take your car out every time.

Last edited by Jaggu : 18th November 2009 at 13:25. Reason: Back to back posts, please EDIT the original post after its approved, if you want to add. thanks
Old 18th November 2009, 13:39   #38
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

for you instead of coming down here to Bangalore and then going back up maybe you should take the Pondy turnoff via Kanchipuram instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subhorahul View Post
Can someone please help me with a road route from vellore to pondicherry. Also, how much would be the duration and the road conditions ?
Old 18th November 2009, 13:54   #39
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for those details Neeraj, I'm planning on a Pondy trip soon , will update on returning.
Old 18th November 2009, 15:45   #40

Quote:
Thanks for those details Neeraj, I'm planning on a Pondy trip soon , will update on returning.
Sure have fun weather is really lovely this month in Pondy, light drizzle and cool evenings. Diesel is rs 34 now in Pondy, so @ rs 3/lt saving compared to Bangalore. You need to have almost empty tank to take full advantage of that. You have to have a empty tank to take advantage of that, other wise always good to go tank full from Bangalore itself and top it up in Pondy.
Old 18th November 2009, 16:07   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone stayed at Ginger hotels in Pondy? Reviews on the net look good.
Hi sdp1975,
I have stayed at Ginger in Pondy, its a pretty nice place, bit away from the beach, say around 4-5km and odd. As you know Ginger doesn't have any housekeeping et all, but it doesn't matter.Also you can get in your drink and store in the small Refrigerator they provide

Definite VFM
Old 2nd December 2009, 12:24   #42
Senior - BHPian

What are the places to have food on the way ( Krishnagiri Gingee route ). I know of A2B at K'giri BPCL bunk, anything after that ?
Old 2nd December 2009, 15:05   #43

Quote:
What are the places to have food on the way ( Krishnagiri Gingee route ). I know of A2B at K'giri BPCL bunk, anything after that ?
A2B is a good place ,but it'd come in an hr's time after Hosur, However there is new hotel at Krishnagiri and is located right on the cross road when you are taking left from the NH towards Pondy, but on opposite side of the road.
after that, you get some hotels in the Tiruvanamalai town, also i noticed however did not stop, there is one Punjabi dabha near Gingee on the higway itself, if you are at speed you will miss it. beyond that you have restaurants in Tindivanam town..you'd not want to stop bec of traffic and also Pondy would be 60 odd KM from there.
Old 6th June 2010, 18:32   #44
BHPian

Bengaluru to Pondicherry , route query

Can anyone share the best route to take to Pondicherry from B'lore. We are driving to Pondy on the 9th of this month. I stay n Malleswaram and am planning to go through the hebbal ring road and hit hosur road (electronic city).

Would also require some landmarks if diversions/turns are to be made or highways have to be changed on-route.

This is our first time to Pondy and would appreciate any recent updates on the road conditions.

Thanks a ton!
Old 6th June 2010, 18:57   #45
Senior - BHPian

Best route will be as in post #37 above - Bangalore->Hosur->Krishnagiri->TVM->Pondi.

Just avoid going thru TVM town. The roads are usually in horrible condition with large potholes inside TVM. Just before TVM town there's a diversion ( you have to take a complete U-turn almost ) and go around the Arunachal hill to avoid TVM town, you'll find buses and trucks being diverted.

Most Viewed