Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2010, 22:40   #121
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Not a good idea, with the size of the potholes along this route. You would end up busting your suspension with one small wrong move. Sunlight is free of cost use it to the fullest and stick to day driving.
The route from Kanchi to chengalpattu is what you are referring to? You covered this section recently?, well i can still change my routes but not getting a clear picture about NH66, i would have to be travelling at night because the rooms are booked from that night.
Old 10th December 2010, 09:15   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
The route from Kanchi to chengalpattu is what you are referring to? You covered this section recently?, well i can still change my routes but not getting a clear picture about NH66, i would have to be travelling at night because the rooms are booked from that night.
Yeah same route which takes you all the way to tinidivanam. Apparently there is another route from Vellore which connects directly to Tiruvannamalai which is in good shape. However on this road you gotto take a few detours since there are culverts and bridges under construction. Worth a try though.
Old 10th December 2010, 10:11   #123
BHPian

Small change of plans from my side. Instead of 18th, I would be leaving Bangalore on 19th morning. Planning to visit Chidambaram and Mahabalipuram in between and leave Pondy on 23rd morning.
Old 10th December 2010, 12:32   #124
Senior - BHPian

Ok now I am confused with the routes totally, So just summarizing the discussions upto now for ease of reading and understanding.

Please remember I will be travelling in a zen with 5 people on board and would be starting from Blore in the evening.

Route 1:

Bangalore - (NH 46) - Krishnagiri - (NH 66) - Chengam - (NH 66) - Tiruvannamalai - Tindivanam - Pondicherry

Route Condition: It seems the Krishnagiri to Tindivanam section is broken completely and not advisable for small cars
Total Kms: 310kms
Apprx Time (considering Road is Good): 5.30 hrs

Route 2:

Bangalore - (NH 46) - Krishnagiri - (NH 46) - Kanchipuram - (SH 58) - Chengalpattu - (NH 45) - Tindivanam - (NH 66) - Pondicherry

Route Condition: It seems the Kanchipuram to Chengalpattu section is potholed and may take atleast 1 hr for the 40km stretch. Further, Chengalpattu to Tinidivanam NH45 is broken (as per rjstyles) at some places.
Total Kms: 423kms
Apprx Time (considering Road is Good): 6.30 hrs
Extra Kms: 90kms

Route 2:

Bangalore - (NH 46) - Krishnagiri - (NH 46) - Vellore - (SH 09) - Kannamangalam - (SH 09) - Polur - (NH 66) - Tiruvannamalai - (NH 66) - Pondicherry

Route Condition: It seems this section is in good shape except for a few diversions.
Total Kms: 414kms
Extra Kms: 80kms
Old 10th December 2010, 14:01   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Route 2:

Bangalore - (NH 46) - Krishnagiri - (NH 46) - Kanchipuram - (SH 58) - Chengalpattu - (NH 45) - Tindivanam - (NH 66) - Pondicherry

Route Condition: It seems the Kanchipuram to Chengalpattu section is potholed and may take atleast 1 hr for the 40km stretch. Further, Chengalpattu to Tinidivanam NH45 is broken (as per rjstyles) at some places.
Total Kms: 423kms
Extra Kms: 90kms
I think there is still a confusion. What rjstyles mentioned is not Chengalpattu - Tindivanam NH45 but the direct Kanchipuram - Tindivanam via Vandavasi which is on SH as full of potholes.
Old 10th December 2010, 14:03   #126
BHPian

Sorry to burst your bubble. There is no way you can pull of 400+ kms in 6+ hrs. Allocate at least 8 hrs. Remember with 5 people, your avg speed is around 60..and factor in unforeseen things, in addition to passing through towns etc.
Old 10th December 2010, 14:33   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble. There is no way you can pull of 400+ kms in 6+ hrs. Allocate at least 8 hrs. Remember with 5 people, your avg speed is around 60..and factor in unforeseen things, in addition to passing through towns etc.
Route 2 & 3 would definitely take around 8 hrs, particularly when going with family
Old 10th December 2010, 14:57   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slakhs View Post
I think there is still a confusion. What rjstyles mentioned is not Chengalpattu - Tindivanam NH45 but the direct Kanchipuram - Tindivanam via Vandavasi which is on SH as full of potholes.
Ok the one that has SH all the way to Tindivanam. I see, well rjstyles has to corroborate the information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
Yeah well 6hrs was ideal time, ofcourse it will be 7.5 to 8hrs, will try to finish off the major distance from blore to kanchi in as less time as possible without a break (taking advantage of having a travel mode family without kids ) Already booked in Pondi for a 10pm check in so should not be an issue.
Old 10th December 2010, 15:21   #129
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
will try to finish off the major distance from blore to kanchi in as less time as possible without a break (taking advantage of having a travel mode family without kids ) Already booked in Pondi for a 10pm check in so should not be an issue.
Thats where the whole issue is. Once you cross Krishnagiri, you wont find any place for a break. Not sure of any on NH45 (GST).
Old 10th December 2010, 23:21   #130

As asked earlier can anyone comment on this route

Bangalore - (NH7)-Hosur - Krishnagiri - Vellore - (SH132)- Arani -(SH4)- Gingee -(NH66)- Pondicherry via Tindivanam

I am specifically looking at the road conditions of SH132 & SH4 between Vellore to Gingee.
Also can anyone confirm NH66 condition between Gingee to Tindivanam which is about 25 km.

Since the conditions of other route via Kanchipuram is not that great I am hoping to take a shorter detour to avoid most of Nh66 if not all.

I will be travel on Santro
Old 11th December 2010, 10:40   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranarula View Post

Bangalore - (NH7)-Hosur - Krishnagiri - Vellore - (SH132)- Arani -(SH4)- Gingee -(NH66)- Pondicherry via Tindivanam

I am specifically looking at the road conditions of SH132 & SH4 between Vellore to Gingee.
Also can anyone confirm NH66 condition between Gingee to Tindivanam which is about 25 km.

Since the conditions of other route via Kanchipuram is not that great I am hoping to take a shorter detour to avoid most of Nh66 if not all.

I will be travel on Santro
I think you can take the Kanchi - chengalpattu - tindivanam - pondi route, except for 40kms of kanchi - chengalpattu state highway rest are NH. just waiting to get a confirmation on the condition post chengalpattu from rjstyles.
Old 11th December 2010, 13:05   #132
Senior - BHPian

Going through Kanchipuram and reaching ECR via Chengalpattu on the face of it might look a decent option but in my opinion it would be better to go via Chennai byepass, you do not lose time at any place and still end up doing the entire distance in about 8 hours without any issues even if you are not a fast driver. Bangalore - Vellore - Poonamallee - Chennai Byepass - Vandalur - Kelambakkam - ECR - Pondicherry. It is by far the longest but most comfortable. Not to forget this is the ideal route to travel by in case you are worried about getting lost etc.

Kanchipuram - Maduravayol - 1 hour
Maduravayol - Vandalur - 1/2 an hour
Vandalur - Pondicherry - 2 hours it would be the same if you do it via NH45 (Tindivanam)

If you are to do the Kanchipuram - Chengalpattu - Pondicherry route then you might save about 30 minutes if you take NH45 via Tindivanam and 15 minutes if you opt to go via ECR from Chengalpattu.

Bengaluru, Karnataka 560001 to Pondicherry - Google Maps

Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries-pondy.jpg
Old 12th December 2010, 21:11   #133
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranarula View Post
Bangalore - (NH7)-Hosur - Krishnagiri - Vellore - (SH132)- Arani -(SH4)- Gingee -(NH66)- Pondicherry via Tindivanam. I am specifically looking at the road conditions of SH132 & SH4 between Vellore to Gingee. Also can anyone confirm NH66 condition between Gingee to Tindivanam which is about 25 km.
Yesterday, I drove in my Linea to and fro my village Vidur, near Tindivanam, Tamil Nadu. I left my home at 4:05 am and reached back by 9:30 pm after a hectic 17.5 hour, 672.2 km long trip.

For the up journey, I took Bangalore>Vellore>Arcot>Arani>Chetpet>Gingee>Koott eripet>Vidur via NH 7/46/SH 4/NH 45 as per this Google map:
Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries-vidurvisit.jpg
Even NH 7/46 could not escape the fury of torrential rain that Tamil Nadu was subjected to recently. I found the wearing coat [bituminous concrete] was chipped out in many spots between Hosur and Vellore.

From Arcot to Arani [~25 km], the SH 4 was excellent. It could beat any 2-laned NH in India hands down! All the speed-breakers on the village limits were scientifically done and clearly demarcated.

From Arani to Chetpet [~40 km], the road condition got deteriorated with many craters, water-logged crossings and pot-holes dotting the road surface. I could drive in the first/second and third gears mostly. Driving in the fourth gear was an occasional bonus. Added to that, SH 4 passed through the bus stands and markets of Arcot, Arani and Chetpet, whcih was a real pain in the neck.

From Chetpet to Gingee [~20 km], the road condition improved a lot. From Gingee [NH 66] onwards, the road condition was good including the Kootteripet village road and access road to my village Vidur from NH 45. That was the irony: I found the village roads were in better condition than the NH 66, perhaps to due to volume of traffic.

For the return journey, I drove on NH 45/66/46/7 as I got fed up with the up journey in the morning session. From Thiruvannamalai to Krishnagiri, the NH 66 was a mess all along. Traffic was heavy. Even the buses and trucks had to negotiate to avoid the craters, potholes and water-logged areas. My Linea got bottom-scraped twice. It was a torture to drive on this NH 66.

So, which one of these alternatives is the better a route to drive on? Well, I don't the right answer, frankly. Both the routes fail miserably. I decided not to drive to Vidur/Pondicherry for the next 6 months until the road condition improves.

Old 12th December 2010, 21:54   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Yesterday, I drove in my Linea to and fro my village Vidur, near Tindivanam, Tamil Nadu. I left my home at 4:05 am and reached back by 9:30 pm after a hectic 17.5 hour, 672.2 km long trip.

For the up journey, I took Bangalore>Vellore>Arcot>Arani>Chetpet>Gingee>Koott eripet>Vidur via NH 7/46/SH 4/NH 45 as per this Google map:
Since your village is close to Tindivanam, any feedback of the NH45 that comes via chengalpattu?
Old 13th December 2010, 06:55   #135
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Since your village is close to Tindivanam, any feedback of the NH45 that comes via chengalpattu?
As Riju mentioned, any route you take, you would have to enround one section of pain for sure. In the case of Chengelpet option, it being the Kanchi-Chengelpet section. 45 should be good.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks