Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2010, 10:00   #151
Team-BHP Support

re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

I thought the situation is worse till Tiruvannamalai. Beyond that I thought improves considerably. Is it not? Please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 20th December 2010, 11:04   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
Did a Huge mistake by taking the tiruvanamalai road en route to pondy yesterday night.
The road is a pot hole Hell.
I did the trip during the night and the suspension of the camry had to undergo heavy torture !!

Despite the situation of the road. I reached pondy in 5.5 Hours.
So potholes are still every where in the NH66 route, well i guess that will not be repaired until we have some good weather.

How was the weather in Pondi?
Old 20th December 2010, 19:49   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul2842 View Post
I did a Pondy trip last weekend, took the below routes, #2 was definitely better.

#1 Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Vellore - Arni - Chetpet - Gingee - Thindivanam - Pondy
The road till Vellore is very good, after that till Thindivanam, its a mixed ride. From Arni to Chetpet is the worse part of this route with hardly any tarred stretch. Average speed was ~25 km/hr and took almost an hour to negotiate.

#2 Pondy - Thindivanam - Chengalpattu - Kanchipuram - Vellore - Krishnagiri - Hosur - Bangalore
This route was much better overall than #1, the ~25 kms stretch from Chengalpattu - Kanchipuram was a narrow SH but the road was in good condition. Average speed on this stretch was 50 kms/hr. Apart from this, the entire route was very good.

I would recommend #2 if you want a peaceful ride, distance is more in #2 but the time taken would be similar in both. Hope this helps.

Thanks for that. Planning a Bangalore to Pondy + trip in the last week of the year. We wind up at Kumbakonam and need to get back to Bangalore in a day. Rather than retrace our steps back up, Google maps seems to indicate that the best way would be Kumbakonam > NH45C > Thanjavur > NH67 > Trichy > Karur >NH7 > Bangalore. Any suggestions? Also, would appreciate an update on bypass status (if any) for Thanjavur, Trichy, Karur, Salem and Dharmapuri.
Old 20th December 2010, 20:42   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by modthomas View Post
Thanks for that. Planning a Bangalore to Pondy + trip in the last week of the year. We wind up at Kumbakonam and need to get back to Bangalore in a day. Rather than retrace our steps back up, Google maps seems to indicate that the best way would be Kumbakonam > NH45C > Thanjavur > NH67 > Trichy > Karur >NH7 > Bangalore. Any suggestions? Also, would appreciate an update on bypass status (if any) for Thanjavur, Trichy, Karur, Salem and Dharmapuri.
@modthomas, you may not have to follow the google maps while returning back from Kumbakonam to Bangalore. Though its not a bad choice, (except for the karur part) there are multiple threads/posts in this forum describing and updating routes about B'lore-Kumbakonam or B'lore-Tanjore routes. Search and use those info.
In case, if you are following Google Maps, you can take

Kumbakonam-Tanjore-Trichy-Thuraiyur-Namakkal-Salem-Dharmapuri-Krishnagiri-Hosur-B'lore.

Refer to B'lore-Trichy thread for route updates.

-Ravi
Old 21st December 2010, 15:36   #155

I too made the mistake of taking the NH66 route while going to Pondicherry on the 17th. The road is in a BAD shape and hence the drive was a bit tiring.

The car had to bear a lot of torture and the bottom scraped twice .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I thought the situation is worse till Tiruvannamalai. Beyond that I thought improves considerably. Is it not? Please correct me if I am wrong.
The road does get better after Tiruvannamalai but nothing to write about.

I completed the Bangalore to Pondicherry journey in 6.5 hours in my Santro. Left Bangalore at 6 am. and reached by 12:30.

I must admit that the route was quite scenic and the weather was awesome - All misty and cool.

Pondicherry was a good break and the weather was quite good and not hot as I had heard and was expecting.

On my way back visited Mahabalipuram, so took the Kanchipuram - Vellore - Krishnagiri - Hosur - Bangalore route.
Old 22nd December 2010, 09:15   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atulmuley View Post
On my way back visited Mahabalipuram, so took the Kanchipuram - Vellore - Krishnagiri - Hosur - Bangalore route.
How was this route? did you take the chengalpattu route?
Old 22nd December 2010, 11:04   #157
BHPian

So I am planning to take Bangalore - Vellore - Kanchipuram - Pondy route. Assuming I can start by 6am on Saturday, can anyone please recommend best places to stop for breakfast (wherever I'd be around 8:30-9:00am)? Bonus would be if the places are kid friendly and serves non-spicy food.

Also any recommendation of eating out in Pondy ... any local special?
Old 22nd December 2010, 11:09   #158
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kousik View Post
So I am planning to take Bangalore - Vellore - Kanchipuram - Pondy route. Assuming I can start by 6am on Saturday, can anyone please recommend best places to stop for breakfast (wherever I'd be around 8:30-9:00am)? Bonus would be if the places are kid friendly and serves non-spicy food.

Also any recommendation of eating out in Pondy ... any local special?
You wont find any unless you plan to get into Vellore town to hit the exorbitant Saravana Bhavan!
All BF options are before Krishnagiri (A2B, Kamat, Meenakshi Bhavan/CCR).

Not sure of any options within Kanchi. Definitely there should be some, but I am not aware of any. Let others comment on the same.
Old 22nd December 2010, 12:14   #159
BHPian

I guess there are couple of Saravana Bhavan's in Kanchi as well. As I too am going this weekend, was looking at their website. The link is:
Saravanaa Bhavan - Restaurants
Old 22nd December 2010, 13:28   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You wont find any unless you plan to get into Vellore town to hit the exorbitant Saravana Bhavan!
All BF options are before Krishnagiri (A2B, Kamat, Meenakshi Bhavan/CCR).

Not sure of any options within Kanchi. Definitely there should be some, but I am not aware of any. Let others comment on the same.
There is Arya's in Vellore on the highway itself. Its below one of the bridges on the left side when coming from Bangalore and on the right when coming from Chennai. It is extremely good. Another choice is Motel deepam highway just before pallikonda tollgate. Their spellings might be hilarious(gopi fry) but food is tasty and does not cause any after effects
Old 22nd December 2010, 13:52   #161
Senior - BHPian

Theres one Adayar Anand Bhavan in Kanchipuram (as per wikimapia), if you are starting at sharp 6am then you should reach it by breakfast time.
Old 22nd December 2010, 18:06   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
How was this route? did you take the chengalpattu route?
Yes, I went via Chengalpattu the road is in quite a good shape.

The complete route was good as we mostly drive on ECR and NH46.
Old 22nd December 2010, 19:46   #163
BHPian

Thanks for the updates. I will be doing Bangalore - Pondy trip on 24th. Will be taking Bangalore - Vellore - Kanchipuram - Pondy route. This seems to be the least pot holed route !!
Old 22nd December 2010, 21:55   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by atulmuley View Post
How much time it took for you on this route ?

Last edited by ranarula : 22nd December 2010 at 22:12.
Old 23rd December 2010, 11:18   #165
Senior - BHPian

Well I am starting today evening, so I should be having an update on the route. I am taking the following route.

Blore - Krishnagiri - Vellore - Kanchipuram - Chengalpattu - Tindivanam - Pondy

Most Viewed