Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2012, 17:51   #586
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quick directions on taking Auroville Road from Tindivanam to ECR below. This road is now well done - I guess as part of post cyclone repairs. Note that the road is single lane with hardly any traffic, but occasional speeding two-wheelers (usually driven by Aurovilleans who generally expect you to give way to two-wheelers and pedestrians) and lot of trees and bamboo on both sides of the road. All distances below are approximate and from memory - overall, Highway to ECR through this road is about 5km.

* Coming from Tindivanam, Auroville main road is the last left turn before Pondicherry Toll booth. Take that.
* After about 1.5km, you hit the first junction (Y junction). Left goes to Auroville Visitor's center and right goes to ECR. There is a board indicating left is to Auroville Center. Take right.
* Another 2km, you see some shops on both sides and the road bearing left with a board that says Chennai is to your left - I've not taken this road, so can't comment. Go straight instead - for some 10m, you have untarred roads.
* This road then takes a sharp right with a boulangerie plus ATM on your left a cafe on your right. After about 20m, you see a small temple with big statues on your left.
* Right there is the next junction. Take left there.
* Straight down 1.5 km you hit ECR at 90 degrees. Be careful here - you have no way of seeing traffic on ECR. Stop, inch ahead to see both sides. This is a bus stop and usually a scene for buses starting to race.
* Left on ECR takes you to Pondicherry University, St James Court, Ashok Resorts etc and to Chennai
* Right is to Pondy - but I suppose if you wanted to go to Pondy, you'd have taken the Toll road :-)

Hope that helps
vsbabu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2012, 17:06   #587
BHPian

Guys,

I would be travelling to Pondi 2 weeks from now and planning to take BLR-Ranipet-Kanchipuram-Chengalpattu-ECR-Pondi route. This is primarily because i believe the roads are good all along.Are there better routes. I would be travelling in my chevy Spark. I would like to know what are my refreshment options once i hit the Chennai highway after Krishnagiri. Any A2B's or decent hotels for break
Old 6th August 2012, 17:16   #588
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightening-Fast View Post
This is primarily because i believe the roads are good all along.Are there better routes. I would be travelling in my chevy Spark. I would like to know what are my refreshment options once i hit the Chennai highway after Krishnagiri. Any A2B's or decent hotels for break

There is Aryas and a Coffee Day after Pallikonda toll. But its on the opposite side while you drive towards Chennai.
Also the road via Arcot/Cheyyar/Vandavasi is equally good and also has much less traffic.

But as I read there are 5-6 diversions due to culvert, but its quite OK.

Last edited by ampere : 6th August 2012 at 17:18.
Old 6th August 2012, 17:35   #589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
There is Aryas and a Coffee Day after Pallikonda toll. But its on the opposite side while you drive towards Chennai.
Also the road via Arcot/Cheyyar/Vandavasi is equally good and also has much less traffic.

But as I read there are 5-6 diversions due to culvert, but its quite OK.
@Ampere, Thanks for the info. Will certainly keep these in mind for refreshments. I have been on ranipet-kanchipuram-ECR-pondi route before. Google tells me that the route you suggested Via Arcot-Tindivanam is 80 kms shorter. I wouldnt mind taking these route if it does not eat much into my time. I somehow always prefer the shortest time versus the shortest distance
Old 6th August 2012, 17:46   #590
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightening-Fast View Post
Google tells me that the route you suggested Via Arcot-Tindivanam is 80 kms shorter. I wouldnt mind taking these route if it does not eat much into my time. I somehow always prefer the shortest time versus the shortest distance
@LF, Its definitely shorter on time as well. Thats because you dont have to cross Kanchi, which would take some time.
Instead crossing Cheyyar/Vandavasi is much easier I think.

And Tindivanam has a good bypass. (Route Link)

Last edited by ampere : 6th August 2012 at 17:48.
Old 6th August 2012, 17:49   #591
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
@LF, Its definitely shorter on time as well. Thats because you dont have to cross Kanchi, which would take some time.
Instead crossing Cheyyar/Vandavasi is much easier I think.
Yup i do remember navigating through Kanchi and that sure was pretty crowded. Will certainly try the one you mentioned and will post it back as well. Cheers mate!
Old 7th August 2012, 09:50   #592
BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 1st October 2012 at 12:31. Reason: PM coming up
Boomerang is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 7th August 2012, 20:49   #593
BHPian

Boomerang, thanks for the update. Where did you take your lunch break?
Old 7th August 2012, 21:00   #594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
Hi Guyz, Just visited Pondy last weekend.

We took the vellore route and was awesome. Roads are great and we reached Pondy is 5.5hrs (with 30mins lunch break).
What do you mean when you say Vellore route. Did you take Vellore - Kanchi - ECR - Pondi. Or Arcot - Tindivanam - Pondi. Would be travelling in a weeks time. So Curious!
Old 8th August 2012, 15:54   #595
BHPian

Lunch @ Arani - there was a roadside biriyani joint. i know, one shouldnt be trusting; however, if you have lived in TN u know what's good...to a great extent.

Route:
Vellore - Arani - Thellar - Tindivanam - Pondy

Mod team note: Removing [Font] tags, please avoid Copy Pasting from external font editors.

Last edited by Jaggu : 8th August 2012 at 16:19. Reason: Removing [Font] tags, please avoid Copy Pasting from external font editors.
Old 9th August 2012, 19:15   #596
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post

Route:
Vellore - Arani - Thellar - Tindivanam - Pondy
Would you recommend Arcot-Arni-Thellar- Tindivanam OR Arcot - Cheyyar - Vandavasi - Tindivanam routes w.r.t road condition and traffic ?
Old 10th August 2012, 07:32   #597
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Just wanted to share an interesting experience regarding the Bangalore-Pondicherry route:
Couple of days ago I pointed a friend to this thread for route to Pondicherry based on current conditions. Once he booked at one of the resorts and got a confirmation email, it had the following line for the route from Bangalore:
(90kms) (117kms) (27kms) (62kms) (29kms) (39kms) (9kms)
Bangalore--Krishnagiri--Vellore--Arcot--Vandavasi--Dindivanam--Pondicherry--Resort.

Seemed like it was taken straight out of this forum and matches exactly with what our TBHP members have been discussing!
Old 13th August 2012, 09:42   #598
BHPian

Any good restautrant in Pondi for seafood? My family wants to taste lobster/shrimp dishes. Google suggests "rendezvous" restaurant, but recent Tripadvisor reviews are not that good.
Old 13th August 2012, 11:00   #599
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Read through all the posts for the best route to Pondy from Bangy.

But guys, to sum it up, whats the best route(good roads) to Pondy, distance not being a constraint.

Old 13th August 2012, 11:33   #600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik1100 View Post
Read through all the posts for the best route to Pondy from Bangy.

But guys, to sum it up, whats the best route(good roads) to Pondy, distance not being a constraint.

I drove from B'lore to Pondi and back on 4th - 6th August. Route taken:

B'lore-Hosakote-Mulbagal-Chitoor-Ranipet-Arcot-Cheyyar-Vandavasi-Thindivanam - Pondi.

B'lore to Mulbagal - 4 Lane excellent roads
Mulbagal to Chitoor - 2 Lane undivided, but reasonably good road
Chitoor - Ranipet - 2 Lane undivided, but reasonably good road - truck traffic
Ranipet - Vandavasi - 2 Lane undivided, good for most part a few rough sections
Vandavasi to Thindivanam - Mostly OK roads - 8-10 minor diversions for bridge construction
Thindivanam to Pondi - 4 Lane excellent roads

I took 6 hours going to Pondi and 5 hours 30 minutes coming back. Lost my way and ventured into Vellore on the way up

Distance - 350 kms approx. Google map of the route

Hope this helps.

Rajan
PatchyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed