Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2012, 12:24   #676
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Hi Kamal,

You can refer to my post as well at:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2923886

I have consolidated the information provided by Ravi and others in mine. Hope that helps.

Cheers!
raveesh_k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2012, 15:49   #677

Thanks a lot for the help guys...
Ampere, you definitely are quick helping hand that one can rely on...
and also thanks a lot Gopi and Raveesh for your info... Raveesh, I have actually taken a print of your advice and though I cant get to see what Ravi had to say as the images from his post are not opening on my laptop.
Ampere, this is my first long drive with wife... i have driven to Bhopal and Vizag in 2003 and 2005 in my pocket rocket zen... Also, my friends suggested that I should also go mahabalipuram... what do you guys say ? And tell me a good place to stay at Pondicherry.. Budget (3k-4k per night)

Thanks again guys... Will keep you troubled now on.
Old 17th December 2012, 16:46   #678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamal_parashar View Post
Thanks a lot for the help guys...
Ampere, you definitely are quick helping hand that one can rely on...
and also thanks a lot Gopi and Raveesh for your info... Raveesh, I have actually taken a print of your advice and though I cant get to see what Ravi had to say as the images from his post are not opening on my laptop.
Ampere, this is my first long drive with wife... i have driven to Bhopal and Vizag in 2003 and 2005 in my pocket rocket zen... Also, my friends suggested that I should also go mahabalipuram... what do you guys say ? And tell me a good place to stay at Pondicherry.. Budget (3k-4k per night)

Ajantha near Rock beach is a nice place to stay. They have beach facing rooms and the area has true french colonial touch. Nice lil eating places around too. It will fall in your budget or even less.

I am sure you will visit Auroville. While you are at it have your lunch at Purple restaurant on the way to Auroville. Lil place with very good food.
Add. Kuilapalayam 9894245045
Old 17th December 2012, 17:17   #679
BHPian

Quote:
And tell me a good place to stay at Pondicherry.. Budget (3k-4k per night) Thanks again guys... Will keep you troubled now on.
You may want to try "The Retreat" or "Sea Side Guest House" run by Ashram. It's on the beach road. Believe it should be around 2K for double bedroom. Mind that booking confirmation is done only on email, and checkin is 14:00 hrs and checout is 12:00 noon. Please confirm booking by online payment and get the confirmation of the same. Worth the price. But, hard to get in peack season.
Old 17th December 2012, 18:04   #680
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Also, my friends suggested that I should also go mahabalipuram... what do you guys say ?
You can take the ECR to visit Mahabaliburam. But when you return from there to Chennai you need to take the SH via
Chengalpet - Kanchi to join the GQ. Then its 4lane all the way to Chennai via Krishnagiri.

Quote:
And tell me a good place to stay at Pondicherry.. Budget (3k-4k per night)

Some decent winter offers at GRT. Want to try ?

http://www.grthotels.com/thesunwaygr...ndicherry.aspx

Last edited by ampere : 17th December 2012 at 18:23.
Old 30th December 2012, 16:04   #681
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raveesh_k View Post
....11. This will take you to the arcot bridge over a dry river bed.. 12. At the end of the road, you will hit a T-junction where you will see a board pointing to Tindivanam ...13. Now you will be heading to Cheyyar. Just before hitting a town you will see another bi-fork. Take the right lane (will be marked as a bypass). Go straight, there will be a crossing, keep going straight. At the end of the road, you will hit a bridge over a river bed. Just after the bridge take a left at the T-junction to head to Vandavasi....15. Go straight and you will start seeing some outskirt markets in Vandavasi. ..16. Just before you hit Tindivanam, you can take a left on the college road as illustrated by post #453. ...17. Right where you hit the main highway you will see a divider cut for you to go to the other side and take a right...18. You will see a flyover. Do not get onto it, but rather take left which takes you to Pondicherry. ...19. Just when you are able to see the Pondicherry toll gates in a distance you will see a cut in the left. This left takes you to the auroville road and gets you to the other side on ECR.
Nice and detailed description above.

Could someone please mark the above portion of the route on a google map, as I am unable to figure out the distances to each turn / town bypasses ? Would really help, since I am leaving the next weekend to Pondicherry in my Xylo

Last edited by mooza : 30th December 2012 at 16:08.
mooza is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2012, 20:32   #682

Hey Raveesh & Ampere,
Thanks again guys had a wonderful trip to Pondicherry.
We did stay at the Grt Sunway.... My wife had to shout
at the hotel staff to get their things in order though...
The room was not properly done initially but after my shouted at
them it was done up and then they did take care of us well ! !

The Best part of my trip was definitely the drive.
My wife loved being my navigator... She loved the drive a lot.

And i have to thank raveesh for it. Amazing route advice...
Just followed it completely and had fun...

Raveesh, would like to add a point though... there are two tolls
which charge 65 while going to pondicherry from Bangalore and
Arya Bhawan and CCD are just after the second toll.

Advice for moosa... Just follow Raveesh's advice dot to dot
and it will get you there without any hazzles...

Thanks GUYS !
kamal_parashar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2012, 21:38   #683
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The Best part of my trip was definitely the drive.
By the way the Karimangalam route to Morappur and there on to Harur is also pretty good . Nice SH to drive. Experienced it first hand few days back!
Old 2nd January 2013, 11:57   #684
BHPian

Alright, after having read through I believe this is the bestest route -

1)Bangalore->Krishnagiri->Vellore->Arcot->Cheyyar->Vandavasi->Acharapakkan->Tindivanam->Pondicherry (377 km)
Since coming from Pune the route then becomes - Link

Since coming from Pune, does it make sense to break in Bangalore or break in Hosur. I am trying to avoid the headache of going into Bangalore and hence the query.

I was also hoping to get onto the East Coast Road, but I read the hassle of getting in and out of Chennai is not worth it. Do we have a way of avoiding the City and be able to get onto ECR.

Somebody mentioned this i.e from Tindivandam take SH 134 and get onto the ECR, so might try that.

Any other suggestions if coming from Pune ?
Old 2nd January 2013, 14:00   #685
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by santoshr View Post
Since coming from Pune, does it make sense to break in Bangalore or break in Hosur. I am trying to avoid the headache of going into Bangalore and hence the query.
There are decent places in Hosur. Even Bangalore has some good places right at the exit.

Here is one : Keys : (very close to where NICE road meets NH7).
Logically it makes sense to stay at Hosur.

Quote:
I was also hoping to get onto the East Coast Road, but I read the hassle of getting in and out of Chennai is not worth it. Do we have a way of avoiding the City and be able to get onto ECR.
Somebody mentioned this i.e from Tindivandam take SH 134 and get onto the ECR, so might try that.
You can do that. Or may be extend a day, visit Mahabalipuram. That would give you a good feel on ECR.
Old 3rd January 2013, 13:00   #686
BHPian

Hi all,

we are planning to have a trip to pondicherry during the next weekend 12-14th Jan 2013. I have read through the posts in this thread, however have been confused a bit.

I am seeking help and information regarding the following :

1. The route from bangalore to pondicherry. which is the best. we are two families travelling in one/two cars.

2. Any advise on good beach side resorts/stays available.

I stay near Hebbal and need to pick up another family friend near marathahalli and would be driving in a Swift LDI or Baleno Vxi depending on a few factors of luggage involved and comfort factor for the kids. we plan to drive in the wee hours of the morning.

Any help on the above is highly appreciated.

Regards,
Prashant D
Old 3rd January 2013, 17:29   #687
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Or may be extend a day, visit Mahabalipuram. That would give you a good feel on ECR.
Yup that sounds like a much better plan.

Just one last query :

Pune - Doddaballapur - Devanhalli - Hoskote - Kolar - Mulbagal - Chitoor - Arcot - Cheyyar - Vandavasi - Tindivandam - Pondicherry

Does sound much better to me, because then I need not worry about Bangalore traffic, can cut across after Tumkur. And I read the roads are decent, and possibly better than the Hosur - Krisnagiri - Vellore because of some road widening project. Let me know what your thoughts are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant_dv View Post

1. The route from bangalore to pondicherry. which is the best. we are two families travelling in one/two cars.

I have driven on the Hebbal - Krishnarajpuram road, thats like a walk in park wee hours of the morning on a Saturday (12th).

Hoskote - Kolar - Mulbagal - Chittoor - Arcot - Vandavasi - Tindivanam (bypass) - Pondicherry

This should 4 lane to Mulbagal and then 2-lane from there on. From what I read there are no issue on this stretch. And shouldn't be much different than :

Hosur - K'giri - Vellore - Arcot - Vandavasi - Tindivanam - Pondicherry route.
Old 3rd January 2013, 19:47   #688
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by santoshr View Post
Just one last query :
Pune - Doddaballapur - Devanhalli - Hoskote - Kolar - Mulbagal - Chitoor - Arcot - Cheyyar - Vandavasi - Tindivandam - Pondicherry
Thats a good option. But from Devanahalli you can join NH4/4-lane much earlier instead going to Kolar. Use the following. Its good roads all the way.

Route Link
Old 3rd January 2013, 21:26   #689
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant_dv View Post
Hi all,

we are planning to have a trip to pondicherry during the next weekend 12-14th Jan 2013. I have read through the posts in this thread, however have been confused a bit.

I am seeking help and information regarding the following :

I stay near Hebbal and need to pick up another family friend near marathahalli and would be driving in a Swift LDI or Baleno Vxi depending on a few factors of luggage involved and comfort factor for the kids. we plan to drive in the wee hours of the morning.

Any help on the above is highly appreciated.

Regards,
Prashant D
Hello Prashanth!!
1. My suggestioin would be that after picking up your friend from Marathahalli, take the Outer Ring Road and come to Hosur Road. Then take the elevated expressway towards Hosur. If you find the traffic moderate, you can opt for the normal road also. After that it is the usual route through Krishnagiri-Thiruvannamalai-Gingee-Tindivanam-Pondicherry.

2. Kailash Beach Resort is a good option. You may also try Le Pondicherry or Zest Big Beach (but this may be a tad expensive). The location of Zest Big Beach is not correct in Google Maps. Please confirm at the merchant website.

3. Good budget hotels include Hotel Anandha Inn, Hotel Atithi

Have a nice trip!!!

Regards
Samish
samish_g is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2013, 10:59   #690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samish_g View Post
Hello Prashanth!!
1. through Krishnagiri-Thiruvannamalai-Gingee-Tindivanam-Pondicherry.

2. Kailash Beach Resort is a good option.

Hello Samish,

Thank you for the information. I did consider the route you mentioned, however was reading through some other posts where they have informed about some bad streches. Have you recently taken this route ? Is this a busy route to go through ?

I checked out Kailash beach resort, am considering between St James Court Beach Resort, Kailash and Zest. Not yet finalized.

Have you used Kailash Beach resort ? If yes, how did you find the property and facilities provided ?

Regards,
Prashant Divakaran

Most Viewed