Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2013, 07:46   #811
Team-BHP Support

re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuli View Post
That would be a shame. This tree lined route is so scenic. Besides, it is the shortest, so why wouldnt there be users. Whenever they get it done, being an NHAI project, I do hope it is sooner than later.
I totally agree. Its a beautiful NH of the old school. I just hope they complete the makeover soon. In fact I hope its not just a make over, but an overhaul. 3-4 years back, it was quite a scene even then, when the rot had not fully set in.
Old 6th June 2013, 02:39   #812

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuli View Post
Given these two developments, I am wondering if someone who has been bold enough to explore this route can confirm that indeed this route is fixed. Fingers crossed!
I'm highly skeptical about this. The last time I drove on this stretch was in Dec '12 and previously in 2011. The only difference I noticed was that the ride had gotten bumpier & had even more potholes. Patchwork had been done at places, but this just added on to the poor ride.
Old 7th June 2013, 11:07   #813
BHPian

Travelled from Bangalore to Pondicherry and back during weekend of may 25, 2013. The route we had taken was Bangalore-> Krishnagiri->Kanchipuram->Chengalpet-> SH58/ECR junction -> Pondicherry

From Bangalore to Kanchipuram, we travelled on Bangalore Chennai highway. From Kanchipuram to Chengalpet, followed SH58. SH 58 was in good shape- one could easily continue on 80-100 KMPH speed. One caution on SH 58, this road passes through villages and one should be careful of local traffic coming from either side of road

Lesson learnt on this trip: if you plan to follow the route I mentioned then start early (like 4 AM) and avoid traffic at Bangalore Hosur RTO check point. Early start from Bangalore will also lead to avoiding city traffic in Kanchipuram and Chengalpet
Old 13th June 2013, 09:57   #814
BHPian

Hey Team, any update on how the roads are in pondy. few months ago it was all dug up?
Old 13th June 2013, 10:49   #815
BHPian

The discussion over the past few months has been only about alternate routes to Pondy avoiding the krishnagiri - Tindivanam stretch. Is there anybody who had the guts to take the krishnagiri- Tindivanam stretch in the past few weeks? I am particularly interested in the current road condition for Tiruvannamalai - Tindivanam stretch and if it is still drivable. The last I traveled on this road was during December 2012 and it was total chaos at that time.

I would like to know the current road condition there now. Driving this weekend to Tiruvannamalai and Melmaruvathur. Tiruvannamalai has a good alternate option via Harur. For Tiruvannamalai to Melmaruvathur, I will take the Chetpat -> Vandavasi route if the Tindivanam route is bad.

Thanks for your help
Old 13th June 2013, 11:29   #816
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
I am particularly interested in the current road condition for Tiruvannamalai - Tindivanam stretch and if it is still drivable.
I would like to know the current road condition there now. Driving this weekend to Tiruvannamalai and Melmaruvathur. Tiruvannamalai has a good alternate option via Harur. For Tiruvannamalai to Melmaruvathur, I will take the Chetpat -> Vandavasi route if the Tindivanam route is bad.
I drove to Pondy last month, while going from Bangalore took the Vellore route however while coming back took the "notorious" Tiruvannamalai - Tindivanam and how i regret it. almost 200+ kms of sheer agony/pain and frustration (I did the entire return trip without any stops). There is practically no road at all. I was just not able to drive beyond 50kmph and it was getting dark. The car took a real good beating however at the end of the journey the FIGO emerged victorious. The car is really built strong and my admiration for it has grown .

My 2 cents - DON'T TAKE THE ROAD.

Last edited by sumathindra : 13th June 2013 at 11:31. Reason: edits
sumathindra is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2013, 11:53   #817
BHPian

A friend is going to Pondi this weekend with his wife in Honda City. In fact, he's leaving for Pondi tomorrow morning. What route would you guys suggest? He's planning to start at 5. Also, would you guys suggest any alternate route while coming back or the same route? Thanks in advance.
Old 13th June 2013, 12:07   #818
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
A friend is going to Pondi this weekend with his wife in Honda City. In fact, he's leaving for Pondi tomorrow morning. What route would you guys suggest? He's planning to start at 5. Also, would you guys suggest any alternate route while coming back or the same route? Thanks in advance.
Stick to the regular one for both drives. Vellore-Arcot-Cheyyar-Vandavasi-Tindivanam. Thats the best. Not worth taking a risk with Honda City.
Cheyyar/Vandavasi/Tindivanam have bypasses too.

Last edited by ampere : 13th June 2013 at 12:08.
Old 13th June 2013, 12:26   #819
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone tried the Blore- Salem- Pondi route??
Old 13th June 2013, 12:40   #820
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
Has anyone tried the Blore- Salem- Pondi route??
Thats a HUGE roundabout. 120-150 km longer. But it has end-to-end 4-lane now.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2013, 13:03   #821
BHPian

Took Bangalore - Thiruvanamalai - Gingee - Tindivanam route to Pondy last week. The roads were in worst shape throughout except for Tindivanam - Pondy stretch.

Looking at the work progress, this route should be avoided for next few years.
CliffHanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2013, 13:05   #822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Stick to the regular one for both drives. Vellore-Arcot-Cheyyar-Vandavasi-Tindivanam. Thats the best. Not worth taking a risk with Honda City.
Cheyyar/Vandavasi/Tindivanam have bypasses too.
Cool. Will ask him to stick to this route. However, he'll miss out on one of the best dosa place near Mathur.
Old 13th June 2013, 13:10   #823
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
I drove to Pondy last month, while going from Bangalore took the Vellore route however while coming back took the "notorious" Tiruvannamalai - Tindivanam and how i regret it. almost 200+ kms of sheer agony/pain and frustration (I did the entire return trip without any stops). There is practically no road at all. I was just not able to drive beyond 50kmph and it was getting dark. The car took a real good beating however at the end of the journey the FIGO emerged victorious. The car is really built strong and my admiration for it has grown .

My 2 cents - DON'T TAKE THE ROAD.
Thank you sumathindra. You are a lifesaver. I am glad that your Figo came up trumps from such an ordeal. A couple of years ago my Punto returned home with a bent alloy wheel and a tyre with side wall crack on the same road. I was optimistic that the roadworks between Tindivanam and Tiruvannamalai would have completed faster because of connectivity to Chennai. I understand it is also receiving equal apathy from the govt.

Is anybody else aware of the road condition from Pennathur ->Chetpat ->Vandavasi -> Melmaruvathur as shown below? Planning to drive this route from Tiruvannamalai. Just getting a feeling i might be entering a lion's den trying to escape from monkey. I am familiar with Vandavasi->Melmaruvathur route and it was pretty decent. The stretch from Pennathur to Vandavasi is a completely unknown road.

Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries-route.jpg

Last edited by gopikb : 13th June 2013 at 13:23.
Old 13th June 2013, 13:26   #824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Took Bangalore - Thiruvanamalai - Gingee - Tindivanam route to Pondy last week. The roads were in worst shape throughout except for Tindivanam - Pondy stretch.

Looking at the work progress, this route should be avoided for next few years.
Cliffhanger, Thanks. when you said entire stretch from Bangalore to Pondy is in bad shape, you did not mean the Bangalore - Krishnagiri stretch. Right? Or did the 6-laning work screwed up this stretch also

Regards

Gopi
Old 13th June 2013, 15:56   #825
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
Cliffhanger, Thanks. when you said entire stretch from Bangalore to Pondy is in bad shape, you did not mean the Bangalore - Krishnagiri stretch. Right? Or did the 6-laning work screwed up this stretch also

Regards

Gopi
I'm sorry. Yes, Bangalore - krishnagiri stretch is in decent shape, but the rest of the stretches are in absolute shambles.

Bored of the 6-lane highways, tried this route, only to experience the chaos. Sparse traffic was the only solace.
CliffHanger is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed