Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2013, 10:21   #856
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Alternately you can also consider Bangalore-Morappur-Harur-Tiruvannamalai route (looks for ampere's earlier posts). But heard recently that Tiruvannamalai-Tindivanam is bad so you may need to go via Villupuram so overall may add to more Km but probably a more scenic, peaceful route and off the beaten track
Yes, CliffHanger says Tiruvannamalai-Tindivanam is equally horrible (or that's what I understood ).

So, as you suggested, I checked the route via Krishnagiri, Harur, Tiruvannamalai and Viluppuram:
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=S...ia=1,2&t=m&z=9

This is only 324 KM (from home to hotel). If the road is good, scenic and if the traffic is less, I might as well go on this, instead of Krishnagiri, Arcot, Vandavasi and Tindivanam. Because the latter is 360 km: https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=S...ia=1,2&t=m&z=9
Old 5th July 2013, 10:46   #857
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Yes, CliffHanger says Tiruvannamalai-Tindivanam is equally horrible (or that's what I understood ).
One via Arcot has more hotels and break options. The one via TV Malai has nice greenery on 2-lane roads, but at many stretches it is quite desolate as well. And on top you need to get into TV Malai to find the road Villupuram. Beyond Villupuram all the way till Pondi, I think a road is a bit narrow.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2013, 19:33   #858
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Need route recommendations for a Bangalore-Vellore-Mahabalipuram-Pondicherry trip.
Plan -
Day 1 morning from Bangalore to Vellore, visit the Golden Temple (Sripuram) and then proceed to Mahabalipuram.
Route: Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Vellore-Temple
Temple-Vellore (back on NH46)-Kanchipuram-Chengalpattu-Mahabalipuram - not sure about road condtions/alternatives for this ?

Day 2 Mahabalipuram - Pondicherry
Route: Mahabalipuram-Pondicherry on ECR - I guess this will be in good condition

Last edited by NPV : 16th July 2013 at 19:35.
Old 16th July 2013, 19:59   #859
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Day 1 morning from Bangalore to Vellore, visit the Golden Temple (Sripuram) and then proceed to Mahabalipuram.
Route: Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Vellore-Temple
Temple-Vellore (back on NH46)-Kanchipuram-Chengalpattu-Mahabalipuram - not sure about road condtions/alternatives for this ?
Can you make this into a afternoon drive? Try to reach Vellore by evening. See the golden temple with lights at night. Its definitely worth it. Stay in Vellore and start the next day for Mahabalipuram. Kanchi-Chengalpet road is pretty decent with rough patches here and there. The biggest problem is wading through Kanchi and latching to the Chengalpet SH. There is no bypass for this.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2013, 20:08   #860
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Can you make this into a afternoon drive? Try to reach Vellore by evening. See the golden temple with lights at night. Its definitely worth it. Stay in Vellore and start the next day for Mahabalipuram. Kanchi-Chengalpet road is pretty decent with rough patches here and there. The biggest problem is wading through Kanchi and latching to the Chengalpet SH. There is no bypass for this.
Thanks, this is for a friend.
Day 2 he has booked at a hotel in Pondicherry and wants to visit Mahabalipuram and the temple enroute, can't add another day.
I think there is more than 1 deviation to Kanchipuram on NH46, which one to take ? Is there one marked for Chengalpattu ?
How is ECR for Mahabalipuram-Pondicherry ?
Old 16th July 2013, 20:14   #861
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks, this is for a friend.
Day 2 he has booked at a hotel in Pondicherry and wants to visit Mahabalipuram and the temple enroute, can't add another day.
I think there is more than 1 deviation to Kanchipuram on NH46, which one to take ? Is there one marked for Chengalpattu ?
How is ECR for Mahabalipuram-Pondicherry ?
@NPV, I meant if he can start noon of the previous day. In other words:

D0 : Noon : Drive to Vellore reach by night, visit the temple and stay in Vllore.
D1 : Drive via Kanchi to Mahabalipuram and Pondi.

ECR is very good. However ask him to be careful. ECR is known for lots of irresponsible driving incidents.

Last edited by ampere : 16th July 2013 at 20:15.
Old 19th July 2013, 19:41   #862
Senior - BHPian

I am planning on a trip to pondi in September. Please suggest some good budget hotels/resorts or homestays out there. Looking at staying there for 3 nights, just to enjoy the beaches and not do anything else.
dass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2013, 22:05   #863
BHPian

Dass

Just sharing this, you may check this out.
Easy access and nice parking place, as it is on ECR.
I stayed here this May.

Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries-jm-inn-012.jpg
Ddrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2013, 11:31   #864

How to reach Pondicherry from Bangalore, plan to visit on 9th weekend of Aug 2013
Old 21st July 2013, 19:57   #865
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatesan View Post
How to reach Pondicherry from Bangalore, plan to visit on 9th weekend of Aug 2013
The last several pages of this thread are dedicated to mostly discussing the Arcot-Cheyyar-Vandavasi route which is good.
Please look up the earlier posts for several details of this route (this is a very detailed post by Raveesh - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2923886).

Alternately you can also consider Bangalore-Morappur-Harur-Tiruvannamalai route (looks for ampere's earlier posts). Also heard recently that Tiruvannamalai-Tindivanam is bad so you may need to go via Villupuram so overall may add to more Km.

Last edited by NPV : 21st July 2013 at 20:01. Reason: Adding link to Raveesh's excellent post
Old 26th July 2013, 17:59   #866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddrive View Post
Dass

Easy access and nice parking place, as it is on ECR.
Thanks,
I will be travelling from Bangalore, so will getting onto ECR be an issue or is it on the way? How far is the hotel from the Beaches?
Old 26th July 2013, 18:06   #867
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Thanks,
I will be travelling from Bangalore, so will getting onto ECR be an issue or is it on the way? How far is the hotel from the Beaches?
You hit ECR only when you near Pondi. There have been few bypasses discussed. But these are more about how to bypass Pondi town. So I dont think it should be a big issue.
Old 26th July 2013, 18:58   #868
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Thanks,
Getting to it should be very easy indeed. Though on the ECR, this is well within Pondicherry town.

Its location should be pretty easy to get to. When coming from Tindivanam, after you enter Pondicherry town, you will pass JIPMER on the left and then hit a major junction where the NH66 joins the ECR. You will see signs showing Chennai to the left and Cuddalore to the right. Heading left at this junction onto the ECR and I remember this hotel comes up pretty soon on the left near a petrol pump.
Old 28th July 2013, 14:45   #869
BHPian

Planning a trip to Pondy in Aug and this will be my first trip to Pondy. Request all to suggest a good beach resort for family .
Old 28th July 2013, 16:37   #870
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalini_g View Post
Planning a trip to Pondy in Aug and this will be my first trip to Pondy. Request all to suggest a good beach resort for family .
Depends on the budget. To name a few : Kailash Beach Resort and Dune.
(I have not been to either. Heard a few good things about Dune. Do check it out before you book)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks