Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2013, 17:04   #946
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Between any news on Cyclone Phailin's effect in pondicherry?
Old 11th October 2013, 17:18   #947
BHPian

Thanks Amp, for the input. I was thinking of going till Sriperumpudur and then turn towards Maha. Finally decided on the standard route.

Booked in Nalla Eco resort. Little concerened to see very mixed reveiws. Any one has recent personal experience?
Old 13th October 2013, 13:26   #948
Senior - BHPian

MAP_link

Quote:
Originally Posted by raveesh_k View Post
I just returned from a 4 day trip to Pondicherry from Bangalore.
The above link is a map route by denver85. Your description sounds something like it. Am I right or wrong?

Though your inputs on the route was super informative, I am going to have a hard time remembering it all, especially the point from Arcot onwards. I'll have to keep the route on stand by on my phone. In your description, it says you have to get across the river and take a u turn, if I were to refer the same from the linked map above, I can't seem to find a u turn suggested.
Old 13th October 2013, 16:46   #949
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Though your inputs on the route was super informative, I am going to have a hard time remembering it all, especially the point from Arcot onwards. I'll have to keep the route on stand by on my phone. In your description, it says you have to get across the river and take a u turn, if I were to refer the same from the linked map above, I can't seem to find a u turn suggested.
How to Cross Arcot and get on to Vandavasi road?

- Go on the Chennai 4-lane past Arcot.
- Take the bridge on Palar.
- After the bridge take a U, come back and cross the bridge again.
- Immediately after you return, you would an exit. Take that exit. Thats the road to Cheyyar/Vandavasi.

Here is the route link

- Cheyyar, Vandavasi and Tindivanam have bypasses. Make use of them. Its worth it.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2013, 19:23   #950
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Cheyyar, Vandavasi and Tindivanam have bypasses. Make use of them. Its worth it.
I see that the map link I posted by passes Cheyyar and Tindivanam. Are these the correct by pass roads for these two towns that you are referring to?

Not so for Vandavasi where it does run in to town and then lead to the road to Melmaruvathur. I can see a by pass for Vandavasi, the map does not use it because it does not appear to be direct approach to the Melmaruvathur road. What do you suggest?
Old 13th October 2013, 23:01   #951
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I see that the map link I posted by passes Cheyyar and Tindivanam. Are these the correct by pass roads for these two towns that you are referring to?
The Cheyyar bypass is correct. For Vandavasi, since you take the toad Sothupakkam, you dont use the bypass. But if you take road to Tindivanam, you can take the bypass.

At Tindivanam you have a bypass via new College road.
Old 14th October 2013, 19:09   #952
Senior - BHPian

Just came back from Bangalore-Pondy-Bangalore trip.
I started on 11th Oct at about 6.45 am from RT Nagar, Bangalore. Took the BLR-HOSUR-KGIRI-ARCOT BYPASS-VANDAVASI-CHEYYAR-THINDIVANAM-PONDY route. Reached at 1.45 with about 45 minutes break in between. So it took 6 hours of driving time. We took a similar time on the return too. Great roads all through. A big shout to Raveesh and Ampere for the detailed explanation on the route. I cannot thank you enough.

We took a print of the instructions and just followed it to the T. This coupled with Gmaps made the journey great. I only missed the bypass on college road at Thindivanam, so had to go into the market for about 10 minutes. Other than this, it was a pleasant trip.

We stayed at The Sunway GRT Grand. Highly recommended. Great experience, nice rooms and awesome breakfast and service. Although it is on ECR road, so the beach and ashram are a 5 km drive away. But we had no issue as we had our car.

We had our lunch and dinner at Surguru on Anna Nagar, ECR road. Again, highly recommended place. Great taste and not too highly priced. Google coordinates here: 11.934138,79.807646

Watch out for the huge potholes outside the "Adhi Parashakti Institutes gates " around Cheyyar. Here are the googlemaps coordinates: 12.798834, 79.441145

For anyone, it is possible to do this trip in 6 hours, maintaining sane speeds.

Last edited by hrman : 14th October 2013 at 19:20.
hrman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 11:11   #953
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
At Tindivanam you have a bypass via new College road.
Looking at this region, is this the overall route you suggest?

https://maps.google.co.in/maps/ms?ms....31492,0.41851
Old 15th October 2013, 11:15   #954
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Looking at this region, is this the overall route you suggest?

Yes that's the route I meant Sandeep. Member J-Ravi had reported about the new construction on the new college-bypass road. And its very easy to spot.
See his post (#453)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2673152
Old 15th October 2013, 11:17   #955
BHPian

Just Came back from Pondy. Big Thanks for Ampere and Team-BHP.

We took BLR-HOSUR-KGIRI-ARCOT BYPASS-VANDAVASI-CHEYYAR-THINDIVANAM-PONDY. Also visited Pichavaram

Though the Right Turn to Arcot was a bit confusing for me but could locate it. The roads were pretty Good and had a good trip altogether.
Old 15th October 2013, 11:49   #956
BHPian

Just returned from Mahabalipuram and Pondicherry trip, from Bangalore. Thanks for all the Info on this thread.

Onward: BLR-Krishnagiri-Vellore-Kanchi-Chengalpet-Maha. We skipped the last Saravana bhavan before KGiri, and ended up grappling for food in the car, until we saw an Ananda bhavan attached to a sai baba temple, just before vellore. (palikonda is the place name I guess. It comes on the left towards Vellore. Good food, okayish toilets.) Wading through kanchi & Chengalpet was a pain. Google maps helped. Lunch was at Mamalla Heritage (A/c, Veg) on the main road near Arjuna's penance. Good one. Dont take your car to the shore temple. Its a mess.

We were booked in Nalla Eco Beach resort in Pody. One word: Spooky. Thoroughly mismanaged and unhygenic place. It was drinking sessions everywhere with bottles, plates , glasses thrown all over the place. Wondeful location, though. Just go out of the gate, you are on the beach. We did'nt bother to eat their complimentary breakfast. We were booked for 2 days, but left the place after day-1. And second day, we checked into Surgur. I cant reccommend this high enough.

Return: Pody-Tindivanam(bypass)-Vandvasi(bypass)-Cheyyar(by pass)-Arcot-(got into that town mess)-Vellore-Kgiri-BLR. We just follwed the Google maps. But it'll lead you to Arcot town which is a pain. Excellent roads throughout

BTW, not a trace of cyclone in Pondy. Very hot as usual.

Thanks for each and evey one on this thread.
Old 15th October 2013, 12:00   #957
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrvarier View Post
Ananda bhavan attached to a sai baba temple, just before vellore. (palikonda is the place name I guess. It comes on the left towards Vellore. Good food, okayish toilets.)
Within 5km from Pallikonda toll, you will see Aryas on your right (other side of the road while driving towards Chennai). This is along with Coffee Day. This comes before Ananda Bhavan.

Quote:
Wading through kanchi & Chengalpet was a pain.
You dont have a choice here I think. Only way is drive very early to beat the traffic at Kanchi.

Quote:
Return: Pody-Tindivanam(bypass)-Vandvasi(bypass)-Cheyyar(by pass)-Arcot-(got into that town mess)-Vellore-Kgiri-BLR. We just follwed the Google maps. But it'll lead you to Arcot town which is a pain. Excellent roads throughout
Arcot bypass is the following:
Route Link

Since this is not a main road, Google may not give directions through this route.
Old 17th October 2013, 09:38   #958
BHPian

Did Pondy - Bangalore yesterday via Thiruvannamalai. HORRIBLE roads with construction happening from Tindivanam till Krishnagiri. NEVER take this route. Didn't get much time to do research on routes.

What a blunder!

:(

Last edited by Torqy : 17th October 2013 at 09:39.
Old 21st October 2013, 21:41   #959
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Did Pondy - Bangalore yesterday via Thiruvannamalai. HORRIBLE roads with construction happening from Tindivanam till Krishnagiri. NEVER take this route. Didn't get much time to do research on routes.
What a blunder!
Sorry to hear about your ordeal but thanks nevertheless for the update.
The last several pages of this thread are dedicated to mostly discussing the alternate route since the one via Tiruvannamalai has been bad now for almost 3 years or so, probably more.
Old 21st October 2013, 21:43   #960
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
The last several pages of this thread are dedicated to mostly discussing the alternate route since the one via Tiruvannamalai has been bad now for almost 3 years or so, probably more.
When I went to Thiruvannamalai last some 3+ years back, it was pretty decent with odd pot holes here and there. But now looks like now its beyond redemption.

Most Viewed