Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2014, 13:55   #1051
J.Ravi

re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
Any other good places for breakfast?
Hotel Aryaas, below the flyover at Satthuvachari at the junction of Katpadi road and NH 46. If not for breakfast, for coffee/tea/lunch.

Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries-dsc00925.jpg

Last edited by J.Ravi : 30th January 2014 at 13:58.
  (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2014, 14:34   #1052
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Suggestions of any kind are welcome! Thanks!
Link to the route that I took a few days back
http://goo.gl/maps/7Z2M7
Some pointers:
1. On the way to Arcot, you will find Green Thunder water park or your right. If you go further ahead, you will see a structure with a hugh cross on it on your left(think this is the SSS Arts & Science college building). Just after that is this small roundabout where you need to take right

2. Once you take right, it takes you to NH46 and you will see a bridge. Take a U turn before the bridge and take the first left at the junction. This is the road that connects to SH5 and runs parallel to the river (river is dry)

3. At the dead end, take left and you will hit SH5

4. Cheyyar bypass has a lot of speed breakers and crazy bikers. Might be easier to drive through Cheyyar town

5. Use the tindivanam bypass when you are driving from Vandavasi to Tindivanam. I went through the town and spent about 20 minutes driving around thanks to one way streets

6. Dont pick up alcohol from pondy while coming back as they check each car and ask you to open bags etc

Quote:
Thanks Ampere, as always!
Any other good places for breakfast?
I usually stop at Kamat which it attached to the Reliance petrol pump. Good food and relatively less crowd even on weekends
http://goo.gl/maps/EJZbI
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2014, 15:28   #1053
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you start at 6:30 you would only make it to A2B or Meenakshi Bhavan by 7:30/8 at Shoolagiri. If you had planned Vellore for a breakfast stop over; it would easily be 10 !
Both A2B or Meemakshi Bhavan are good places to stop, though not in the league of Sankam, Belgaum!

Just try to beat the crowd. 8AM is peak BF time on a weekend at these places.
Probably Shri Saravana Bhavan at Krishnagiri should be possible at around 8.30 - 9 am. Just beyond Krishnagiri junction towards Salem direction!
Gokrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2014, 15:52   #1054
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
Probably Shri Saravana Bhavan at Krishnagiri should be possible at around 8.30 - 9 am. Just beyond Krishnagiri junction towards Salem direction!
Possible. But then its a deviation from the regular Chennai route. So if he is fine then by all he can keep that option open.
Old 30th January 2014, 16:57   #1055
BHPian

Quote:
If you start at 6:30 you would only make it to A2B or Meenakshi Bhavan by 7:30/8 at Shoolagiri. If you had planned Vellore for a breakfast stop over; it would easily be 10 !
Both A2B or Meemakshi Bhavan are good places to stop, though not in the league of Sankam, Belgaum!
Will try to start as early as possible to avoid a peak hour rush, not only at the hotels, but also the toll-gates!!

And yes, Sankam is Sankam. Thanks for suggesting such a great eating place. It's now a must-visit for any Goa trip via Belgaum

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Hotel Aryaas, below the flyover at Satthuvachari at the junction of Katpadi road and NH 46. If not for breakfast, for coffee/tea/lunch.
Thanks! Will try this out if we are not running late already. Post breakfast, after a breakfast is not bad at all, especially while travelling. I prefer to take food at regular intervals rather than stuffing all at one time.

And who knows, we may not be able to go for lunch upon reaching Pondy as we plan on taking some rest after check-in. Not everything goes as planned when on a holiday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Link to the route that I took a few days back
http://goo.gl/maps/7Z2M7
Some pointers:

http://goo.gl/maps/EJZbI
Thank you! I am sure this information is definitely going to be handy.

Quote:
Quote:
Possible. But then its a deviation from the regular Chennai route. So if he is fine then by all he can keep that option open.
The problem is, every time you overshoot a turn, intentionally or unintentionally, you need to take a U-turn to get back on track. On highways, I try to avoid this scenario as much as possible, not because I feel uncomfortable, but because you are put into a situation where in you need to precisely gauge the speed of the vehicle coming from the other end while making a U-Turn. With the kind of speeds seen nowadays on our highways, I would prefer to avoid putting myself and the driver of the other vehicle into such a scenario.

Having said that, I will definitely be visiting the place recommended here while we head to Yeracaud in future.
Old 30th January 2014, 17:04   #1056
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Having said that, I will definitely be visiting the place recommended here while we head to Yeracaud in future.

Another option, in case you see that Shoolagiri hotels (A2B, Kamat, Meenakshi Bhavan) are crowded. Don't stop. Drive past Krishnagiri and take the Chennai road (NH46). About 5km after the Pallikonda toll you should see a CCD on your right (other side of the 4-lane and not on your side). This CCD campus also houses Aryas. So in other words you will have to cross and take a U to come to this place. Its not that big a pain.

The place is decent. Its not the same league as A2B, but typically low on crowds. I think CCD and an Arya has also come up on the same side after Pallikonda toll. Can some one confirm? Its been some time since I have been on this road.

Last edited by ampere : 30th January 2014 at 17:17.
Old 30th January 2014, 17:36   #1057
BHPian

Quote:
Another option, in case you see that Shoolagiri hotels (A2B, Kamat, Meenakshi Bhavan) are crowded. Don't stop. Drive past Krishnagiri and take the Chennai road (NH46). About 5km after the Pallikonda toll you should see a CCD on your right (other side of the 4-lane and not on your side). This CCD campus also houses Aryas. So in other words you will have to cross and take a U to come to this place. Its not that big a pain.

The place is decent. Its not the same league as A2B, but typically low on crowds. I think CCD and an Arya has also come up on the same side after Pallikonda toll. Can some one confirm? Its been some time since I have been on this road.
I thought he was generally not ok with CCD. Both CCD and Aryas are on the same side i.e. on your right while driving towards Vellore from Pallikonda toll. Just after Pallidonda toll, you have another option in Hotel Deepam but on your right again forcing you to cross sides. But, by the time he reaches the place, it would be around 10 am. I have seen another restaurant on this stretch, but on the left side somewhere before Pallikonda toll.
Old 30th January 2014, 17:37   #1058
J.Ravi

Quote:
I think CCD and an Arya has also come up on the same side after Pallikonda toll. Can some one confirm?
Both CCD and Arya Bhavan are attached to HP COCOO, located within a km from Pallikonda toll plaza on the RHS, when driving from Bangalore towards Chennai.
  (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2014, 17:52   #1059
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi

Both CCD and Arya Bhavan are attached to HP COCOO, located within a km from Pallikonda toll plaza on the RHS, when driving from Bangalore towards Chennai.
I had lunch at this Arya Bhavan last month. I stopped at another hotel before this while coming from Chennai (One underground hotel attached to a marriage hall, don't remember its name) and came out as it was crowded and not clean).

Lunch at Arya Bhavan was clean and decent.
Old 30th January 2014, 18:18   #1060
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I thought he was generally not ok with CCD. Both CCD and Aryas are on the same side i.e. on your right while driving towards Vellore from Pallikonda toll. Just after Pallidonda toll, you have another option in Hotel Deepam but on your right again forcing you to cross sides. But, by the time he reaches the place, it would be around 10 am. I have seen another restaurant on this stretch, but on the left side somewhere before Pallikonda toll.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Am aware of Arya Bhavan. Had food there couple of times. I think I may have erred about the other one. Is it Vasantha Bhavan?

CCD at the COCO bunk is one. There is one more CCD I think on the same side of the highway a bit further. Or is it just another hotel (Vasantha? )
Old 30th January 2014, 19:31   #1061
BHPian

Quote:
CCD at the COCO bunk is one. There is one more CCD I think on the same side of the highway a bit further. Or is it just another hotel (Vasantha? )
If you meant the one just before Pallikonda Toll towards Krishnagiri, then it is Hotel Deepam. Pretty decent stuff available there.
Old 30th January 2014, 20:02   #1062
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There is one more CCD I think on the same side of the highway a bit further
Yep there is one more on the same side but that is just after kanchipuram
http://goo.gl/maps/RQE3k
Old 30th January 2014, 21:11   #1063
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Yep there is one more on the same side but that is just after kanchipuram
http://goo.gl/maps/RQE3k
I was not referring to that one. I thought there were 2 (one each on either at Pallikonda. I may be mistaken)

As per what I know :
While going towards Chennai CCDs include:
- Shoolagari (drive side)
- One at Pallikonda (Opposite)
- One at Kanchi (I think drive side)
- Sriperumbudur (Opposite side)
Old 31st January 2014, 13:32   #1064
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Have planned a trip to Pondy this weekend. Per the suggestions in previous pages, I am planning to take the Krishnagiri-Vellore-Cheyyar-Vandavasi-Tindivanam-Pondicherry route. Hope that's fine.

Still need to zero-in on the turns and diversions to take to stick to this route. Hope I get it sorted out by EOD today.
After computing the route in Google Maps, this is what I have come up with. I hope that's fine.

http://goo.gl/maps/6KTkl
Old 31st January 2014, 15:52   #1065
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After computing the route in Google Maps, this is what I have come up with. I hope that's fine.

http://goo.gl/maps/6KTkl
Yes your route is absolutely fine
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks