Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2014, 09:06   #1186
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
How is the Krishnagiri-Thiruvannamalai-Tindivanam-Pondicherry route? Seems to be shorter than the Arcot-Vandavasi route by around 75km.
If you wish to test your vehicle's and your body's endurance limit, then choose this route. Not worth travelling. Do not get misguided by the fact it is 75 kms shorter compared to Arcot-Cheyyar-Vandavasi route.

Time wise bot the routes will more or less be the same. Yo will enjoy driving on the Cheyyar-Vandavasi route as against the dreaded T V Malai route
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 11:22   #1187
BHPian

Drove to Pondicherry last week from Bangalore & we took the Vellore-Arcot-Cheyyar-Vandavasi-Tindivanam route. Its a nice and peaceful 2 lane state highway from Vellore to Tindivanam and we could maintain a constant speed of 60 - 80 kmph. We carefully took the bypass roads at all towns while going, but on return, we missed out the bypass at Vandavasi & Tindivanam. Getting through the narrow busy streets of these two towns were horrific . Do make sure you never miss out on the bypasses while taking this road.
Old 28th August 2014, 11:49   #1188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViPo View Post
Drove to Pondicherry last week from Bangalore...We carefully took the bypass roads at all towns while going, but on return, we missed out the bypass at Vandavasi & Tindivanam. Getting through the narrow busy streets of these two towns were horrific . Do make sure you never miss out on the bypasses while taking this road.
Been there, done that

Here's my experience of getting lost from Feb this year. Putting it again here for the benefit of other members -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3374158

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3361751
Old 28th August 2014, 15:44   #1189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
Been there, done that

Here's my experience of getting lost from Feb this year. Putting it again here for the benefit of other members -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3374158

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3361751
Adding to the crowded street, there were 2 state transport buses which came from the opposite direction at the left turn near Vandavasi Bus stand. The buses were moving forward almost over me & I was literally inside one of the roadside stalls!

Your statement "Going through Vandavasi was a nightmare and I was barely able to not run over tomatoes and cabbages on sale in the market." was exactly the state I was in too.

I used the google maps Link shared by ampere couple of pages back along with bypasses which was very helpful. But when I used the link with Google Maps on my Nexus 4 device for navigation, it showed me the route only up to Vellore bypass. This is a problem with Google Maps on phone. It takes only 2 fields i.e. 'From' and 'To' unlike the one when used on a browser which handles multiple co-ordinates.
I prepared a new link in line with the above link taking only the 'From' and 'To' fields according to my trip & used it on my phone. 1.Bangalore to Mc Donalds Shoolagiri,Krishnagiri
2. Mc Donalds Shoolagiri, Krishnagiri to Zest Pondicherry.

But on return, Google maps decided not to take me back in the same route & re-routed through the two towns.
Old 28th August 2014, 16:05   #1190
BHPian

Well I missed only Arcot bypass :( Then I had Ampere's link closely followed having emailed that to myself. I was using a combo of Garmin 52LM and Android phone Google map. Garmin was a mega flop; that's another story for another place and time! Google maps on laptop/desktop with as many via points is an important thing. Then I realized that oral inquiries en route with at least 2 different persons for each bypass is a must. Then this is easily done only when you drive in day time. For those night birds, well given the absence of signages and illumination on these roads, it can be tough.

Cheers
Old 28th August 2014, 17:21   #1191
Team-BHP Support

Actually getting to the Arcot bypass is the easiest. Its right next to bridge. While driving to Pondicherry, cross the bridge on Palar, immediately get-off the 4-lane, take a U by going below the 4-lane, get back on return 4-lane road, cross the bridge back and there is the exit staring at you!
Old 28th August 2014, 17:41   #1192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Actually getting to the Arcot bypass is the easiest
I clearly remember the following from my last 2 trips -

1) After Vellore, ignore the first NHAI signage for Arcot and proceed further.

2) After a few minutes, there will be one more signage, again indicating Arcot and Tindivanam. For Tindivanam, they have clearly indicated on how to "slip" on the right hand side - go straight - take a u-turn - come back - take left. There is a circle - where you can see the road coming from Arcot - joining this left turn in perpendicular. If someone follows the 1st signage and enters Arcot, he / she will join back here.

Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries-pondy-slip-.jpg

Last edited by Safety is Param : 28th August 2014 at 17:58.
Safety is Param is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2014, 12:55   #1193
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks everyone for the route guidance. Started at 6am from Koramangala and reached Pondicherry around 10:30am. Roads were brilliant except for a small stretch around Cheyyar. Took the Vandavasi and Tindivandam bypass as well.
Old 1st September 2014, 13:11   #1194
BHPian

I need to travel to Tiruvannamalai next week.
Is it better to go via Vellore? Any idea how Vellore - Tiruvannamalai road is?
Old 1st September 2014, 13:40   #1195
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani View Post
Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Karimangalam-Morappur-Harur-Thanipadi-THiruvannamalai.

Be on NH7 after Krishnagiri for about 21km from the Chennai exit. Get of the 4-lane towards Morapupur and their on to Tiruvannamalai via Harur.

Do note if you ask one for the route, they will ask you to go towards Chengam which is the dreaded NH66. You should ask for Thanipadi at Harur.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 15:33   #1196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani View Post
As Ampere mentioned you can either ask for Thanipadi at Harur or even better Theerthamalai at Harur as Theerthamalai comes immediately after Harur.
Do note that post Harur from a village called Naripalli onwards the drive will be bumpy due to poor quality of patch work. Limit your speed to around 60 kmph.
Old 2nd September 2014, 06:37   #1197
BHPian

Planning a trip to Bangalore next week. Will take Vandavasi-Archot route. Early start and aim to reach B'lore for late lunch ( say by 1400 hours ). It's the first time I am driving >300 at a stretch. Have done upto 360 km in a single day but with a longish two-three hour break in between. Any tips?
Old 2nd September 2014, 08:44   #1198
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns94 View Post
Planning a trip to Bangalore next week. Will take Vandavasi-Archot route. Early start and aim to reach B'lore for late lunch ( say by 1400 hours ). It's the first time I am driving >300 at a stretch. Have done upto 360 km in a single day but with a longish two-three hour break in between. Any tips?
Its easily possible. An early start means, you are at Arcot without any trouble. And from there till Krishnagiri you can make a swift progress. You should be in easily for late lunch.

PS: First time I see some one Pondicherry using this thread to ask status of roads to Bangalore! Its always been vice versa.
Old 2nd September 2014, 16:10   #1199
Senior - BHPian

Drove from Bangalore(Whitefield) to Pondicherry on August 29th. Started from Whitefield at 5:20 AM and reached Pondicherry at 11:15 AM including breaks of around 30 mins.

Took the Whitefield - Hoskote - Chittoor - Ranipet - Cheyyar - Vandavasi - Tindivanam - Pondicherry. Good roads throughout. Could easily bypass Ranipet by asking an AUto driver as Google maps on my phone did not work. Could not find a bypass for Tindivanam though. The roads inside Tindivanam are bad.

Returned on August 31st. started from Pondicherry at 10:45 AM and reached home at 5:45 PM. Took the Podicherry - Tindivanam - Cheyyar - Vellore - Chittoor - Bangalore route. At Arcot, took the Vellore route by mistake and decided to continue even thought it was longer. Encountered heavy traffic between Chittoor and Bangalore. Also due to Ganesh immersion, encountered small blocks at multiple places.

Hence the onward journey was a pleasurable one but the return journey from Chittoor to Bangalore was not so good.
Old 2nd September 2014, 16:55   #1200
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Could not find a bypass for Tindivanam though. The roads inside Tindivanam are bad.
The bypass begins before you enter Tindivanam. The bypass is also called College road.

My only hitch to take the OMR is the horrible Varthur road. If they can fix it, then access to OMR/NH4 would be good. I am surprised they have not fixed it yet.

PS: Or may be I should be surprised if they have fixed it!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks