Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2014, 20:22   #1246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post

That is 360 kms (via chittoor) versus 374 kms (via vellore-thindivanam) versus 419 kms (via salem).
Which route should take least time. Taking into consideration that salem is longest and best route, and others are not so great route, will that take same time?
I always take the salem route. It takes me around 5-6 hours with one break. Distance doesn't make too much of a difference especially if you are driving a diesel because you end up having better mileage figures but yes plenty of tolls on the way. I reckon one would have to shell out around 500-600 on tolls. But hey you save on future doctor bills and service bills 😀
Old 14th November 2014, 08:45   #1247
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Its NOT Vellore Arani road. You should take the Cheyyar road for Pondicherry (Arcot-Cheyyar-Vandavasi-Tindivanam-Pondicherry). Quite good they are. But for Cheyyar, Vandavasi and Tindivanam, dont forget to take the bypasses. Absolutely needed. Look out in google maps. See the following route: Route Link
This was real good. Thanks a lot ampere .
Old 14th November 2014, 09:07   #1248
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This was real good. Thanks a lot ampere .
Please note in that in the google map link I posted, I set the start point as Arcot. To get to the Cheyyar road:

- Go ahead and cross the bridge on river Palar.
- Immediately exit the 4-Lane, take a U-turn and come back again to take the Cheyyar road exit. I meant this: Route Link
Old 14th November 2014, 09:28   #1249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Please note in that in the google map link I posted, I set the start point as Arcot. To get to the Cheyyar road:

- Go ahead and cross the bridge on river Palar.
- Immediately exit the 4-Lane, take a U-turn and come back again to take the Cheyyar road exit. I meant this: Route Link
You meant the one which is attached in image right?. I geti it. Thanks again, thats a valuable info .
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries-blrpondy.png  

Old 14th November 2014, 09:41   #1250
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You meant the one which is attached in image right?. I geti it. Thanks again, thats a valuable info .
Yes thats what I meant. Have a great vacation.
Old 24th November 2014, 23:44   #1251
BHPian

Apart from the option of BLR-KRISHNAGIRI-VELLORE-ARCOT-CHEYYAR-THINDIVANAM-PONDY, Google Maps is giving another option of BLR-KRISHNAGIRI-HARUR-VILLUPURAM-PONDY. Can someone please suggest, which is the better option? I am travelling this weekend.
Old 24th November 2014, 23:48   #1252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by musafir_blr View Post
Apart from the option of BLR-KRISHNAGIRI-VELLORE-ARCOT-CHEYYAR-THINDIVANAM-PONDY, Google Maps is giving another option of BLR-KRISHNAGIRI-HARUR-VILLUPURAM-PONDY. Can someone please suggest, which is the better option? I am travelling this weekend.
The best route from bangalore is via hosur,krishnagiri,vellore,arcot,cheyyar,vandavasi and thindivanam. The other route is via hosur,krishnagiri,kambainallur,morappur,harur,than ipadi,Tiruvannamalai and Villupuram. I would advise you to stick to to the first route. In the second route you have to drive on 2 lane roads for a major part. Also post harur till T V Malai the roads are bumpy due to improper patchwork. T V malai to villupuram is a good 2 lane road.
suresh_gs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2014, 01:33   #1253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
The best route from bangalore is via hosur,krishnagiri,vellore,arcot,cheyyar,vandavasi and thindivanam. The other route is via hosur,krishnagiri,kambainallur,morappur,harur,than ipadi,Tiruvannamalai and Villupuram. I would advise you to stick to to the first route. In the second route you have to drive on 2 lane roads for a major part. Also post harur till T V Malai the roads are bumpy due to improper patchwork. T V malai to villupuram is a good 2 lane road.
I second Suresh_gs' vote in favour of the Arcot-Vandavasi-Thindivanam route. I had driven to Pondy this October and while going from Bangalore to Pondy, I had missed the left turn at/before Krishnagiri which lead to Vellore and ended up taking the straight road which led to Thiruvannamalai and then to Gingee - Tindivanam - Pondicherry. That was a big mistake. Though this route saved us about 80 kms but it is one of the most horrible road stretches ever.

Bad roads, sheer drops of 2 feet at the edges which have been cut out for construction (which coincidentally has been abandoned) and the Green 'monster' TNSTC buses barreling straight onto you on single lane stretches is what you can expect on this stretch. Of course I had the additional luck of it raining through the day which meant I couldn't estimate the depth of the craters on this road and also that I was at the receiving end of the mud water being splashed liberally on my car by the speeding TNSTC monsters.

Needless to say - returned by the Cheyyar, Arcot route.
Rajeev1 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2014, 18:20   #1254
Distinguished - BHPian

It is possible to take a right before Palar bridge to get on to Cheyyar road by following this route.

While coming from Bangalore side there is a sign board indicating right turn to Arcot, this leads to a service road which joins the opposite carriageway (road coming from Chennai) just before the bridge.
mpksuhas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st December 2014, 19:02   #1255
BHPian

Hi,

Came to Pondicherry through Krishnagiri - Salem-Ulundru pete-Villupuram earlier today, good roads all through other than the stretch between Villupuram and Pondicherry, which is a two lane with traffic and bad patches.

Was wondering if anyone has done Pondicherry to yercaud and back to Bangalore? Inputs and route details please.
Old 2nd December 2014, 09:31   #1256
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoctor View Post
Hi,

Came to Pondicherry through Krishnagiri - Salem-Ulundru pete-Villupuram earlier today, good roads all through other than the stretch between Villupuram and Pondicherry, which is a two lane with traffic and bad patches.

Was wondering if anyone has done Pondicherry to yercaud and back to Bangalore? Inputs and route details please.
Is the Villupuram-Pondicherry stretch that bad??.

From Pondicherry, the route to yercaud is via Villupuram, Ulundurpet,Kallakurichi by pass, Attur and Ayodhiapattinam. From Yercaud either you can go to Bangalore via salem, krishnagiri or via Kuppanur, harur,Morappur, kambainallur, krishnagiri and Hosur.

I would vote for the second option as it is more scenic.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2014, 19:29   #1257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Is the Villupuram-Pondicherry stretch that bad??.

Road is bad in a few stretches, manageable, but this coupled with erratic drivers on this two lane road makes it seem like a different world after cruising all the way from Bangalore.

Will keep your suggestion in mind for the return from Yercaud.

Can you point out the deviation after Ullunduru pete towards Yercaud. Thanks in advance.
Old 3rd December 2014, 13:45   #1258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Road is bad in a few stretches, manageable, but this coupled with erratic drivers on this two lane road makes it seem like a different world after cruising all the way from Bangalore.

Will keep your suggestion in mind for the return from Yercaud.

Can you point out the deviation after Ullunduru pete towards Yercaud. Thanks in advance.
From Ulundurpet, it is NH68 all the way till you reach the diversion to Ayyodhiapattinam.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2014, 18:49   #1259
BHPian

Returned from Pondicherry to Bangalore yesterday. Took the Tindivanam-Cheyyar bypass-Arcot bypass-Vellore-Krishangiri-Hosur Route around 370 kms.

Having taken the Salem route (410 kms) on the onward trip I prefer the Vellore route, lesser toll booths, and road is definitely better even when passing through towns/ villages.
Old 6th December 2014, 19:25   #1260
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Having taken the Salem route (410 kms) on the onward trip I prefer the Vellore route, lesser toll booths, and road is definitely better even when passing through towns/ villages.
If you are heading to Pondicherry from Bangalore, its a big detour to go via Salem. The Arcot/Cheyyar option is definitely better. And given Vellore-Krishnagiri is a brilliant 6-lane, its even better!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks