Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2014, 09:50   #1276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Its a huge detour going via Salem. Though the roads are good, I would not advice taking the Salem option. Its still better going via Cheyyar/Vandavasi. Roads are decent too.
It is exactly 20kms extra, so not a huge detour. Le pondy via the cheyyar vandavasi route is about 380 km if I'm not wrong and via Salem is 400 km. The only downside is the number of toll gates enroute.
Old 22nd December 2014, 12:01   #1277
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by nssrini View Post
Planning Bangalore - Pondy - Chennai - Bangalore - starting Dec 25. Request suggestions on ideal route at current status. Also on suggested food breaks en-route.

I guess google maps does not show Cheyyar bye pass and Tindivanam bye pass...

I think the new Rajiv IT expressway (mamallapuram - Sardar Patel rd) is not fully complete (the full 45km) if I am not mistaken, so many not be worthwhile taking?

Thanks.
Hey, even I am travelling to Pondi on 25th. We might bump into each other en-route. I am also taking Vellore-Cheyyar-Vandavasi-Tindivanam route as suggested by others on this thread. Suggest loading all the bypass roads on your google map for offline reference. I think except for Tindivanam bypass, others are fairly easy to spot.
Old 22nd December 2014, 12:14   #1278
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiedriver View Post
It is exactly 20kms extra, so not a huge detour. Le pondy via the cheyyar vandavasi route is about 380 km if I'm not wrong and via Salem is 400 km. The only downside is the number of toll gates enroute.
I am assuming you go via Villupuram instead of Tindivanam (Because if you take Tindivanam, then its about 450+). That last section via Villupuram is narrow rough/decent road. That section again negates your 4-lane advantage. Plus add the over head of going past Salem. I still think Cheyyar/Vandavasi/Tindivanam is much faster. All these towns have bypasses too.
Old 22nd December 2014, 12:18   #1279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I am assuming you go via Villupuram instead of Tindivanam (Because if you take Tindivanam, then its about 450+). That last section via Villupuram is narrow rough/decent road. That section again negates your 4-lane advantage. Plus add the over head of going past Salem. I still think Cheyyar/Vandavasi/Tindivanam is much faster. All these towns have bypasses too.
Neither of those. There's a deviation to cuddalore via panruti after the sengurichi toll gate ( A2B ).its a narrow road but not too bad. Takes about 45-60 minutes to cover depending on traffic. About 80km to le pondy and 90km if you drive up to pondy. Yes the villupuram tindivanam stretch is a little patchy and a lot longer like you said.

Last edited by zombiedriver : 22nd December 2014 at 12:20.
Old 25th December 2014, 20:05   #1280
BHPian

Planning a trip from Mysore to Pondy. Found an alternate route from google maps.
Mysore-Kanakapura-Pennagaram-Nallampalli-Harur-Tindivanam-Pondy. 473 Km and 10Hrs.
How are the roads? Any Ghat/Hilly roads?.I am not confident driving ghat roads. Any food/rest room options?
Attached route planned

Thanks
Attached Images

Last edited by virgopal : 25th December 2014 at 20:13. Reason: Deletion of a para
Old 26th December 2014, 23:50   #1281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiedriver View Post
Neither of those. There's a deviation to cuddalore via panruti after the sengurichi toll gate ( A2B ).its a narrow road but not too bad. Takes about 45-60 minutes to cover depending on traffic. About 80km to le pondy and 90km if you drive up to pondy. Yes the villupuram tindivanam stretch is a little patchy and a lot longer like you said.
Thanks. Google seemed to prefer this Panruti SH9 route as well. Bit curvey & narrow, with lots of speed breakers, but fairly well laid stretch. Strangely it joined NH service road @Madapattu and then onto the main NH48 @ Ulundurpet which google insists is NH68. I was going onward to CBE from Salem, so made good time. There are 3~4 toll gates in this stretch which charge 46 each.

There is a Anandha Bhavan just before the SH9 turnoff on the Pondy- Cuddalore road. Nice clean place and good food too. And a relatively new A2B 3 kms after the Salem bypass exit.

The Salem route recommends itself as a good alternative, if u like 4 lane driving.
Juggy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2014, 00:13   #1282
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgopal View Post
Planning a trip from Mysore to Pondy. Found an alternate route from google maps.
Mysore-Kanakapura-Pennagaram-Nallampalli-Harur-Tindivanam-Pondy. 473 Km and 10Hrs.
How are the roads? Any Ghat/Hilly roads?.I am not confident driving ghat roads. Any food/rest room options?
Attached route planned

Thanks
- Mysore-Kanakpura is via Bannur. That is not good. (Check out the Bangalore Mysore thread)
- Kanakpura-Pennagaram is via Hunasanahalli-Anchetty. Good for a weekend drive but not for long drives.
- Pennagaram-Dharamapuri-Harur-Tv Malai is decent
- TV Malai Gingee Tindivanam is again bad.

Over all summary: If you have to drive 450-500km I am sure you would prefer a 4-lane instead of 2-lane road which may be broken hear and there.

Such roads are nice for weekend exploration. But surely not worth it for long hauls.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2014, 15:02   #1283
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Planning a Pondy trip yet again with all 7 adults and 2 kids in my XUV on 31st Dec. Needed some tips. I believe the regular route from BLR via Vellor , Arcott, Cheyyar, Vandavasi, Thindivanam still holds good and It should take me 6 hrs.

Since, my car will be fully loaded any tips for the trip? I have got Mahindra carrier on the top. I believe a plastic sheet cover and nylon ropes should be good enough to ensure minimum drag and best fit? Are there any decent eateries to stop mid-way. I think Vellore has some hotels like Popsys being one of them where I had stayed some months back. Slightly expensive but cleam washrooms and good service. But I want to start as early as possible so I would like to know if there are options to stop after vellore.

Also, I want to do a day trip to Mahabalipuram on 1st Jan provided we could do Auroville on 31st itself. I think its a straight 2 hr drive on ECR? I plan to visit the regular places like Arjuna's penance, etc at Mahabalipuram.

Any dos and donts for Pondicherry it being a 31st Dec. I think I should avoid Goubert avenue (but wanted to go to The Promenade hotel's cafe).

T&R
Old 30th December 2014, 12:08   #1284
BHPian

Just completed Bangalore-Pondi trip. Route taken:

Onward: Bangalore->Krishnagiri->Vellore/Arcot->Cheyyar->Vandavasi->Tindivanam->Pondi
Roads are super smooth till Arcot (bypass). From Arcot to Tindivanam is two lane road with occasional rough patches. Tindivanam to Poindi is a 4-lane road (with Toll).
Distance: 385kms
Time taken: 6.5 hrs of driving time

Return: Pondi-Tindivanam->Chengalpattu (bypass)->Kanchipuram->Vellore->Krishnagiri->Bangalore
Wanted to visit Kanchi temple and hence took the Chennai road, which is 4-laned as against Tindivanam->Vandavasi>Kanchipuram. Roads are excellent, 4-lane till Chengalpattu bypass and good 2-lane all through till Kanchipuram.
Distance: 420 kms
Time taken: 7 hrs of driving time

More details to follow in a Travalogue.
Old 30th December 2014, 18:45   #1285
BHPian

Thanks a lot ampere for your advice and guidance. I have dropped the idea of taking this route. I plan to take Mysore-Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Arcot-Cheyyar- Vandavasi-Tindivanam-Pondy which seems to be the preferred route. If I need any more tips,I will post the same before my trip.
Old 30th December 2014, 19:01   #1286
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks a lot ampere for your advice and guidance. I have dropped the idea of taking this route. I plan to take Mysore-Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Arcot-Cheyyar- Vandavasi-Tindivanam-Pondy which seems to be the preferred route. If I need any more tips,I will post the same before my trip.
I wont suggest the Bangalore route. Lots of traffic for Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri apart from usual Mysore-Bangalore problem.

Instead do this:

Mysore-Nanjangud-Chamarajanagar-Sathyamangalam-Gobi-Chitode-Bhavani-Salem-Attur-Ulundurpet-Villupuram-Tindivabanam-Pondicherry

Much better an option. Good 4-lane roads all the way from Chitode to Pondicherry and low on traffic too.

Last edited by Technocrat : 30th December 2014 at 21:28. Reason: typo corrected on request, thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 19:22   #1287
BHPian

I have plotted the route suggested by you,as enclosed.
Chamrajnagar-Satyamangalam is ghat section,I presume.
Any eateries enroute with clean rest rooms?
Attached Images

Last edited by virgopal : 30th December 2014 at 19:23.
Old 30th December 2014, 21:13   #1288
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have plotted the route suggested by you,as enclosed.
Chamrajnagar-Satyamangalam is ghat section,I presume.
Any eateries enroute with clean rest rooms?
Yes thats the route indeed. Notes for your queries:

- Yes, Chamarajanagar-Dimbam-Sathyamangalam is a ghat section with hair pins.
- Only unknown is if a truck gets stuck. Otherwise fairly easy to cover.

As regards to route:
- To reach NH47 from Sathyamangalam, dont do with what Google says.
- Sathyamangalam-Gobi-Chithode is the route to get to 4-lane GQ (NH47). There are other routes too which may be shorter, but they may go through villages and hence can slow you down.
- Dont take the Villupuram-Pondicherry road. Its shorter no doubt, but quite narrow.
- Take the longer route via Tindivanam. Its another 40km, its four lane all the way.
- Of course if you are heading to south Pondicherry then Vilupuram-Pondy can be a good option for the last leg. Plan accordingly.

As regards to food:
- If you start early from Mysore say 4/5AM, the first crdible stop point should be Saravana Bhavan at Sankari bypass before Salem. Thats about 200km which you should be able to cover in about 4 hours max.
- If you want to break before, Bhavani bypass should have some hotels (but I dont know for sure though)
- Salem-Ulundurpet 4-lane has some hotels
- Ulundurpet has A2B. But please note, its on the NH45 bypass. So if you need to get there, then once you join N45, you will need to drive on Ulundurpet bypass towards Trichy and not Tindivanam/Chennai side. (Please note this fact)
Old 30th December 2014, 21:24   #1289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelWake View Post
Hi Guys,

Planning a Pondy trip yet again with all 7 adults and 2 kids in my XUV on 31st Dec. Needed some tips. I believe the regular route from BLR via Vellor , Arcott, Cheyyar, Vandavasi, Thindivanam still holds good and It should take me 6 hrs.

Are there any decent eateries to stop mid-way. I think Vellore has some hotels like Popsys being one of them where I had stayed some months back. Slightly expensive but cleam washrooms and good service. But I want to start as early as possible so I would like to know if there are options to stop after vellore.

Also, I want to do a day trip to Mahabalipuram on 1st Jan provided we could do Auroville on 31st itself. I think its a straight 2 hr drive on ECR? I plan to visit the regular places like Arjuna's penance, etc at Mahabalipuram.

Any dos and donts for Pondicherry it being a 31st Dec. I think I should avoid Goubert avenue (but wanted to go to The Promenade hotel's cafe).

T&R
I had done more or less a similar trip - BLR-Pondy-Chennai-BLR over the last 1 week. Few inputs from my trip:

a) As most of us recommended - the Vellore-Cheyyar-Vandavasi-Tindivanam Bye Pass - Pondy - is pretty decent. Especially, the Krishnagiri-Vellore and Tindivanam -Pondy 4 lanes are superb and you can gain time here. The 2 lanes from Arcot to Tindivanam bye pass are decent, with a few patchy sections here & there.

b) Since you are leaving on 31st Dec - expect huge line @ Attibele Toll Plaza. When I did my onward to Pondy on 25th Dec - there was a huge line & jam there, it took 30-35mins just at this toll booths. The line was so long before the bridge leading to the toll plaza and some maniac guys created chaos by making U Turn in the same onward lane and trying to get to service road. I think you can expect a similar situation on 31st Dec as well. Maybe worthwhile trying to avoid Attibelle, if possible.

c) If you leave out the restaurants in the Hosur-Krishnagiri belt, Aryaas @vellore (near green circle) is one option.

d) Did Pondy-Mahabalipuram-Chennai via ECR. 100kms to Mahabalipuram from Pondy - 1.5hrs. There's a mad rush @ Mahabalipuram. 100s of tourist buses & vehicles around. Better to park vehicle at one place (say Arjuna's penance) and then walk down to Shore Temple. 5 Rathas is a bit far - you can take an auto for 40 bucks, to save the parking hassles. But seeing the crowd - it feels not worth it.

You can expect a big crowd @ the promenade on Dec31, saw the crowd building up already.

Plan well and have a good time..

Last edited by nssrini : 30th December 2014 at 21:31.
Old 30th December 2014, 21:46   #1290
Distinguished - BHPian

Planning a BLR-Puducherry trip soon, and would like to halt at Vellore on the return leg. Planning to visit the temple there.

Any suggestions for a hotel @ Vellore, suitable for family and with car park ?

Most Viewed