Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2014, 22:19   #1291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

As regards to food:
- If you start early from Mysore say 4/5AM, the first crdible stop point should be Saravana Bhavan at Sankari bypass before Salem. Thats about 200km which you should be able to cover in about 4 hours max.
- If you want to break before, Bhavani bypass should have some hotels (but I dont know for sure though)
- Salem-Ulundurpet 4-lane has some hotels
- Ulundurpet has A2B. But please note, its on the NH45 bypass. So if you need to get there, then once you join N45, you will need to drive on Ulundurpet bypass towards Trichy and not Tindivanam/Chennai side. (Please note this fact)
A small correction the A2B is on the left side just after the sengurichi toll gate towards chennai and not towards trichy once you join the trichy chennai Highway. And if you are traveling on salem-athur-chinna Salem route then you don't have to go into ulundurpet, just follow the highway till you reach the Junction of trichy chennai Highway
zombiedriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2014, 01:54   #1292
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Planning a BLR-Puducherry trip soon, and would like to halt at Vellore on the return leg. Planning to visit the temple there.

Any suggestions for a hotel @ Vellore, suitable for family and with car park ?
I have stayed at Popys which is just next to the new bus stand. Nothing outstanding but it being a new place it was clean and service was optimal. will surely recommend that.
Old 2nd January 2015, 08:50   #1293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgopal View Post
Thanks a lot ampere for your advice and guidance. I have dropped the idea of taking this route. I plan to take Mysore-Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Arcot-Cheyyar- Vandavasi-Tindivanam-Pondy which seems to be the preferred route. If I need any more tips,I will post the same before my trip.
I would suggest the following route

Via Nanjangud, Chamarajanagar, sathy, Athani, Bhavani, NH47 to NH68 without touching salem, NH68 all the way till Ulundurpet and Villupuram.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2015, 10:15   #1294
BHPian

Thanks suresh_gs for suggesting an alternate route.Distance 469 Km and 8 Hrs 40 Min as per Google Maps.Shorter time. Will decide between these routes when I plan to travel,soon. Other details like Petrol Stations,rest rooms,are already mentioned
Old 2nd January 2015, 10:27   #1295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgopal View Post
Thanks suresh_gs for suggesting an alternate route.Distance 469 Km and 8 Hrs 40 Min as per Google Maps.Shorter time. Will decide between these routes when I plan to travel,soon. Other details like Petrol Stations,rest rooms,are already mentioned
I traveled on NH68 last week during my visit to kumbakonam. I noticed that apart from Ramas Veg neat Attur, there are no options to break for food enroute. Of course in my case, i deviated from NH68 after paying toll at second toll plaza.
So plan accordingly.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2015, 22:12   #1296
BHPian

So I just returned back from Pondicherry yesterday. Being adventurous, I decided to try and see the current condition of Thiruvannamalai- Krishnagiri road.

Super bad roads and work is still on. There are definitely more roads being laid out but it will take pretty long time before its done. All the state buses were flying and I was trying to keep my XUV from getting hurt.

If you intend to go to Pondy, please DO NOT TAKE this road. Vandavasi-Cheyyar route is way better and takes almost the same time.
carChef is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 08:59   #1297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carChef View Post
So I just returned back from Pondicherry yesterday. Being adventurous, I decided to try and see the current condition of Thiruvannamalai- Krishnagiri road.

Super bad roads and work is still on. There are definitely more roads being laid out but it will take pretty long time before its done. All the state buses were flying and I was trying to keep my XUV from getting hurt.

If you intend to go to Pondy, please DO NOT TAKE this road. Vandavasi-Cheyyar route is way better and takes almost the same time.
Is the road good in patches or is the overall road condition pathetic??
Old 6th January 2015, 11:35   #1298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Is the road good in patches or is the overall road condition pathetic??
The road is good in patches. But there are only few patches here and there. Most of it is in bad condition. Expect an average speed of 30kmph and bad option for the car as well.

Unless you really have no option or have to go to may be say Uthangarai for eg, only then would I suggest this.
Else if you need to go to Thiruvannamalai, I guess Morappur-Harur-Theerthamalai route is better.
Old 6th January 2015, 11:39   #1299
BHPian

Guys,

Planning to go to pondy on 26th Jan.

Please help me out on route options with good roads as per latest road conditions - car would be Honda City

Thanks in advance
Old 6th January 2015, 11:44   #1300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalu View Post
Guys,

Planning to go to pondy on 26th Jan.

Please help me out on route options with good roads as per latest road conditions - car would be Honda City

Thanks in advance
No second thoughts.

Via Hosur, Krishnagiri, Vellore, Arcot, Cheyyar, Vandavasi and Tindivanam. Bangalore to Vellore is 4/6 lane. Vellore to Tindivanam is a very good 2 lane road. Tindivanam to Pondicherry is a 4 lane road
suresh_gs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 11:46   #1301
BHPian

Quote:
No second thoughts.

Via Hosur, Krishnagiri, Vellore, Arcot, Cheyyar, Vandavasi and Tindivanam. Bangalore to Vellore is 4/6 lane. Vellore to Tindivanam is a very good 2 lane road. Tindivanam to Pondicherry is a 4 lane road
Agree with suresh_gs there.

Some more details here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3603470
Old 6th January 2015, 11:46   #1302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carChef View Post
The road is good in patches. But there are only few patches here and there. Most of it is in bad condition. Expect an average speed of 30kmph and bad option for the car as well.

Unless you really have no option or have to go to may be say Uthangarai for eg, only then would I suggest this.
Else if you need to go to Thiruvannamalai, I guess Morappur-Harur-Theerthamalai route is better.
From Harur till Naripalli, we have good roads. From Naripalli onwards till T V Malai, we have roads broken here and there (based on my friend's updates who went to T V Malai last week by this route) but still ok to drive.
He took solid 2 hrs from Harur to T V Malai via Theerthamalai and Thanipadi
Old 6th January 2015, 11:49   #1303
BHPian

Quote:
From Harur till Naripalli, we have good roads. From Naripalli onwards till T V Malai, we have roads broken here and there (based on my friend's updates who went to T V Malai last week by this route) but still ok to drive.
He took solid 2 hrs from Harur to T V Malai via Theerthamalai and Thanipadi
Then its definitely a better option. It took me almost 4 hours to do the T V Malai- Krishnagiri route.
Old 6th January 2015, 15:56   #1304
BHPian

Quote:
No second thoughts.

Can we do Bangalore, Chittoor, Arcot, Cheyyar, Vandavasi, Tindivanam, Pondy?

The reason being I stay on the old madras road part of Bangalore where this route looks good.

Is the above route good?
Old 6th January 2015, 16:30   #1305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalu View Post
Can we do Bangalore, Chittoor, Arcot, Cheyyar, Vandavasi, Tindivanam, Pondy?

The reason being I stay on the old madras road part of Bangalore where this route looks good.

Is the above route good?
Yes, You need not enter into Chittoor. Take the Chittoor by pass road and then you will reach a junction wherein the left leads to chennai and the right leads to vellore. Take the road leading to vellore

Most Viewed