Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2015, 18:42   #1456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unleash_thunder View Post
...Just wanted to check as to how safe and convenient this option may be? The drive is planned with absolutely no stops....
The two lane State Highways between Arcot and Tindivanam is usually infested with village folk with absolute disregard to road manners or even their own safety - Do watch out for TVS 50's and Splendors with no lights or road sense. Hopefully they'll all be sleeping at night!

Rest of the way is mostly 6/4 lane National Highways, with good road surface.
Geo_Ipe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 06:48   #1457
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Dear All,

I am planning to drive down to Pondicherry from BLR on 22nd October 2015 and the route planned for the drive is Bangalore-> Hosur-> Krishnagiri -> Ambur -> Vellore -> Arcot -> Cheyyar -> Tindivanam ->Pondicherry. The return is tentatively planned on 25th October 2015 while taking the same route albiet in the reverse order. Have two questions related to the itinerary:

a) I am planning to start at 10 pm in the night from BLR. Just wanted to check as to how safe and convenient this option may be? The drive is planned with absolutely no stops.

b) Since i plan to do all the sight-seeing on Friday 23rd October 2015, just wanted to check which other places i can club while on a visit to Pondi.

Would be great if the fellow BHPians may advise on the same.
Mate, I would strongly discourage over night driving be it 4 lane or lane road. Instead I would suggest you to leave Bangalore by 4 AM so that by 7 30 - 8 AM you can reach Vellore. You also have plenty of options to break for tiffin in Vellore.
Driving overnight on State highways is always risky. i have done that and know the problems associated with that. In the event of vehicle breakdown at oddd hours on SH, nobody will be around to help you.
Fortunately I have not faced such a situation but i can tell with certainty that post dusk, people movement on SH is very less and most of the time you will be alone on that stretch.

Try to visit Pichavaram near Chidambaram, Mahabalaipuram, crocodile park, Muutthukadu all along ECR in Chennai.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2015, 12:59   #1458
BHPian

Quote:
Dear All,

I am planning to drive down to Pondicherry from BLR on 22nd October 2015 and the route planned for the drive is Bangalore-> Hosur-> Krishnagiri -> Ambur -> Vellore -> Arcot -> Cheyyar -> Tindivanam ->Pondicherry. The return is tentatively planned on 25th October 2015 while taking the same route albiet in the reverse order. Have two questions related to the itinerary:
Would be great if the fellow BHPians may advise on the same.
Hey unlease_thunder,

did you do this trip? which route did you take while returning? I will be in Chennai on 30th Oct and will visit Pondy on 31st and will travel back from Pondy to Bangalore on 31st or 1st. Could you please advise the latest on the route you took?
Old 26th October 2015, 14:20   #1459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthikd21 View Post
Hey unlease_thunder,

did you do this trip? which route did you take while returning? I will be in Chennai on 30th Oct and will visit Pondy on 31st and will travel back from Pondy to Bangalore on 31st or 1st. Could you please advise the latest on the route you took?
Hi Karthik,

Unfortunately i wasn't able to travel to Pondy as my better half wasn't well. Probably other bhpians who would have travelled, may be able to guide you better.
Old 29th October 2015, 14:32   #1460
Senior - BHPian

Folks

My office colleagues (2 of them) are planning to visit Pondicherry and Mahabalipuram in the 2nd week of November along with their wives and kids. They plan to hire an Innova from Bangalore, drive to Pondicherry first and then visit places of interest in Pondicherry and Mahabalipuram the next couple of days.
Their budget is Rs 3000 MAX per day. Kindly suggest hotels of stay that meet their budget requirement.
In Pondicherry apart from the beach, Auroville, Aurobindo Ashram and Panchavati are there any other places of interest especially from the kids perspective.
Likewise while visiting Mahabalipuram I have suggested visiting Crocodile park, Shore temple in Mahabalipuram, Dakshina Chitra and Muthukadu.
Apart from these are there any other places to see in and around Mahabalipuram?
May be for the return trip if time permits they will visit the Golden temple in Vellore.
Old 29th October 2015, 16:46   #1461
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
May be for the return trip if time permits they will visit the Golden temple in Vellore.
Do they plan to they plan to return from Mahabalipuram to Bangalore? If yes, please note, Chegalpet-Kanchi road is quite good these days. Also there is a decent bypass option too for Kanchi.
Old 29th October 2015, 17:41   #1462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Do they plan to they plan to return from Mahabalipuram to Bangalore? If yes, please note, Chegalpet-Kanchi road is quite good these days. Also there is a decent bypass option too for Kanchi.
Not sure if they will get back to Bangalore directly from Mahabalipuram. I shall confirm with them. As regards the hotel to stay in Pondicherry and places of interest, are there any other places of interest apart from what I have mentioned?
Old 29th October 2015, 17:44   #1463
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Not sure if they will get back to Bangalore directly from Mahabalipuram. I shall confirm with them. As regards the hotel to stay in Pondicherry and places of interest, are there any other places of interest apart from what I have mentioned?
You can suggest boating at Chunnambar back waters and the beach. As regards to hotel check out Accord.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 19:04   #1464
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Their budget is Rs 3000 MAX per day. Kindly suggest hotels of stay that meet their budget requirement.
You can ask them to check out MelVille, its a descent place and fits the budget range you mentioned.

We had stayed there this Feb, you can check the pics here.

Quote:
Crocodile park, Shore temple in Mahabalipuram, Dakshina Chitra and Muthukadu.
Apart from these are there any other places to see in and around Mahabalipuram?.
I guess Crocodile park + Shore temple itself will take better part of the day. Dakshina Chitra involves bit of roaming around, kids will love it. However, it will take above 3~ 4 hours minimum, squeezing it along with other places may not be possible.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 19:07   #1465
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In Pondicherry apart from the beach, Auroville, Aurobindo Ashram and Panchavati are there any other places of interest especially from the kids perspective.
Likewise while visiting Mahabalipuram I have suggested visiting Crocodile park, Shore temple in Mahabalipuram, Dakshina Chitra and Muthukadu.
Hotel - Look up Hotel Surguru in Pondicherry, about 1-2Km to Auroville from there. Regular hotel but very good and decent one, they also have one of the best south indian veggie restaurants in Pondicherry.

Places to see - to your list you can include Manakula Vinayagar temple. Also include Botanical Garden and Bharathi Park (kids perspective).
Include the Cuddalore boat house also, I think this is the one that has access to Chunmabar beach and a boat ride to Paradise beach as well.

Mahabalipuram - both the TTDC hotel and VGP resorts have large expanses of beach accessible from their properties, these used to be good places to spend time. See if they can book their stay in one of these hotels. There may be some museums also nearby for art work, sea shells, etc do check that. I visited Mahabalipuram years ago so take this information with a pinch of salt

Last edited by NPV : 29th October 2015 at 19:09.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2015, 06:37   #1466
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Hotel - Look up Hotel Surguru in Pondicherry, about 1-2Km to Auroville from there.
Sorry, this is 1-2Km from the Aurobindo ashram (not Auroville which is on ECR road!) so it is bang in the middle of the town.
Old 30th October 2015, 07:06   #1467
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Hotel - Look up Hotel Surguru in Pondicherry
A friend of mine stayed in Suguru a few months ago and mentioned that the rooms were clean and good. The restaurant is really good and would recommend it for south indian food. Would also suggest Zuka, which is a chocolate/dessert lounge, which the kids should like.

Quote:
Mahabalipuram - both the TTDC hotel
I stayed at the TTDC 4 years ago and it was not very great. Found stained bed spreads and roaches running around. Not recommended for family stay.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2015, 09:58   #1468
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
I stayed at the TTDC 4 years ago and it was not very great. Found stained bed spreads and roaches running around. Not recommended for family stay.
I stayed there very long ago, almost 15 years or more! This is why I said take my words with a pinch of salt

The beach accessible from their property simply stood out in my memory. Over the years several TTDC properties have deteriorated in quality and service
Old 13th November 2015, 10:30   #1469
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Need to travel from Bangalore to Periyakattupalayam with family around Dec 5th; asking now to decide whether driving makes sense or better to go by train / bus. This place is halfway between Pondy and Cuddalore on Highway 45A by the coast.

Heavy rains in the area might have messed with the roads. This is the unknown now.

I see a few options:

BLR - Krishnagiri - Vellore - Cheyyar - Tindivanam - Pondy - Periyakattupalayam

BLR - Krishnagiri - Thiruvannamalai - Villupuram - Pondy - Periyakattupalayam

BLR - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Salem - Attur - Cuddalore - Periyakattupalayam

Would be grateful for info and advice. Thanks much!
Old 13th November 2015, 10:32   #1470
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
Need to travel from Bangalore to Periyakattupalayam with family around Dec 5th; asking now to decide whether driving makes sense or better to go by train / bus. This place is halfway between Pondy and Cuddalore on Highway 45A by the coast.

Heavy rains in the area might have messed with the roads. This is the unknown now.

I see a few options:

BLR - Krishnagiri - Vellore - Cheyyar - Tindivanam - Pondy - Periyakattupalayam

BLR - Krishnagiri - Thiruvannamalai - Villupuram - Pondy - Periyakattupalayam

BLR - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Salem - Attur - Cuddalore - Periyakattupalayam

Would be grateful for info and advice. Thanks much!
Dec 5th is quite a while from now. Hopefully by then the roads, if damaged. would have been rectified. That being the case I would endorse Option 1 that you mentioned in your post.
The trusted and safe route by car to Pondy
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks