Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2016, 10:14   #1501
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

So did my trip via Hosur-Krishnagiri-Vellore-Cheyyar-Vandvasi-Tindivanam route and well I broke my previous record. Going to Pondicherry was done in 6 hours 30 minutes when we left at 7:45 in the morning. Check-in was at 2 only, hence I delayed to departure. And the return trip was done in 5 hours and 30 minutes, left at 10am to avoid the toll plazas pile up. And I got an average fuel return of 20.3 kmpl on my Ritz Petrol.

The stretch was superb all over.
creative420 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2016, 12:07   #1502
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday 02-Feb-2016 did a dash trip Bangalore-Pondy-Bangalore for a condolence via Arcot-Cheyyar-Vandavasi-Tindivanam. @creative420 update was quite useful, so took this route.

Left Bangalore C.V.Raman Nagar at 6.15 am in the morning and reached Pondy at 1 pm with 1 hour break at Chinnar A2B for breakfast. Return journey started at 6.30 pm after tanking up (Petrol at Rs. 56.41 - solid 6 rupees less than bangalore rates) and reached Home at 12.45 midnight with 45 minutes break for dinner. Total drive of ~800 kms in about 11.5 hours So roughly, it takes 6 hours driving time on an average to do one way, plus whatever the break time.

Overall 99% roads are very good. Cheyyar by-pass roads are not good and has too many speed breakers. Vandavasi town and bypass has broken roads. There are few rough patches in between. But these can be negotiated and not a big worry.

The new A2B at Arcot is well located as a mid point break for those who are traveling to Pondy (and also to Madras).

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th February 2016, 00:24   #1503
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
The new A2B at Arcot is well located as a mid point break for those who are traveling to Pondy (and also to Madras).
Now thats news! But in my opinion its too far. A break after 200+ km for a Chennai drive is cutting it deep. I would any day prefer Sai Sangeeth after Vanyambadi.

If you have not checked it out do so next time. I think you will forget A2B.

Last edited by ampere : 4th February 2016 at 00:33.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2016, 07:16   #1504
Distinguished - BHPian

Good to hear that BLR Pondy is so doable again. We dropped Pondy as a viable destination ever since they started work on renovating the direct route. The work must largely complete now. Anyone has any update?
Old 4th February 2016, 07:18   #1505
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Good to hear that BLR Pondy is so doable again. We dropped Pondy as a viable destination ever since they started work on renovating the direct route. The work must largely complete now. Anyone has any update?
The direct route is still not worth it. It is till good to go via Arcot/Cheyyar. And the best part is you can make it 5/6 hours easily.
Old 4th February 2016, 07:29   #1506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Talking about the direct route, my friend had been to Villupuram last week. He went via Hosur, Krishnagiri, Tirupattur, Singarapettai, T V Malai, Vettavalam to Villupuram.
Till Singarapettai, the roads are good. Post Singarapettai, there are some really bad stretches where there is no road and then we have some really good sections.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2016, 10:02   #1507
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you both Ampere & Suresh_GS. Yes, 6 hours is very much in the comfort zone from BLR (when with kids!) especially with a early start. Will definitely now include it in our weekend plans in March.

Unfortunately Pondy gets just a bit too hot in April/May like all coastal places. Else, it is certainly a nice place especially if one can just walk quietly around the 'French' parts.

Is there any other place (Mahabalipuram?) which can be combined with Pondy?
Old 4th February 2016, 10:05   #1508
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thank you both Ampere & Suresh_GS. Yes, 6 hours is very much in the comfort zone from BLR (when with kids!) especially with a early start. Will definitely now include it in our weekend plans in March.
The four lane works quite well thanks to availability of many break points.

Quote:
Unfortunately Pondy gets just a bit too hot in April/May like all coastal places. Else, it is certainly a nice place especially if one can just walk quietly around the 'French' parts.
Yes it gets hot. But even then its good. I was there last April in the first week. But still enjoyed the walk along promenade.

Quote:
Is there any other place (Mahabalipuram?) which can be combined with Pondy?
Not much. May be break at Vellore to visit the Golden temple at night.
Old 23rd February 2016, 12:35   #1509
BHPian

Going to Pondy for three days this coming weekend. I believe the ideal route would be through Hosur-Krishnagiri-Vellore-Arcot-Vandavasi-Tindivanam as discussed in this thread as well.
Does anybody have any input on how the condition of the Tirupati road is. I know that the 4 lane work is complete till Mulbagal. How is the stretch between Mulbagal - Chittoor and Chittoor - Ranipet. Also, are the number of break-points available comparable to the Chennai route ? Google maps shows that from my house, I would be saving around 20kms on this route which is not much really. So wanted to know if it is worth it.
Old 23rd February 2016, 13:41   #1510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbhat2 View Post
Going to Pondy for three days this coming weekend. I believe the ideal route would be through Hosur-Krishnagiri-Vellore-Arcot-Vandavasi-Tindivanam as discussed in this thread as well.
Does anybody have any input on how the condition of the Tirupati road is. I know that the 4 lane work is complete till Mulbagal. How is the stretch between Mulbagal - Chittoor and Chittoor - Ranipet. Also, are the number of break-points available comparable to the Chennai route ? Google maps shows that from my house, I would be saving around 20kms on this route which is not much really. So wanted to know if it is worth it.
On the Old Madras Road, you have options like Vasudev Adigas, Woodys (near Kolar). You need not enter Chittoor town but take the Chittoor by pass road.

If your residence is close to Old Madras Road, then taking this route would make sense else stick to Hosur road and the route mentioned by you.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 18:32   #1511
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Roads are good not just upto Mulbagal but further down till Karnataka-Andhra border and it has been 4 laned upto that point. Once you cross the border, the roads are good but 2 lane and sees lot of truck/bus traffic so it's a gamble sometimes. At Chittoor, you have to take the bypass to right side after the Coffee Day outlet (left side bypass goes to Tirupati, straight goes into Chittoor town).
I would say try this route only if you're leaving early say by 5am or if you stay very close to Old Madras Road and far off from Hosur Road.
Alternatively, you can try each route for onward and return.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 19:48   #1512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
On the Old Madras Road, you have options like Vasudev Adigas, Woodys (near Kolar). You need not enter Chittoor town but take the Chittoor by pass road.

If your residence is close to Old Madras Road, then taking this route would make sense else stick to Hosur road and the route mentioned by you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Roads are good not just upto Mulbagal but further down till Karnataka-Andhra border and it has been 4 laned upto that point. Once you cross the border, the roads are good but 2 lane and sees lot of truck/bus traffic so it's a gamble sometimes. At Chittoor, you have to take the bypass to right side after the Coffee Day outlet (left side bypass goes to Tirupati, straight goes into Chittoor town).
I would say try this route only if you're leaving early say by 5am or if you stay very close to Old Madras Road and far off from Hosur Road.
Alternatively, you can try each route for onward and return.
I would agree with both NPV & Suresh. However, although roads are good in both routes, if you see my earlier post (#1502) in this thread, though i do stay very close to Old Madras Road, i still took Hosur/Krishnagiri route to Pondy, because you can cover the distance in shorter time. Also, the driving effort is less so i save it in first leg of journey upto Arcot and use it in 2nd leg from Arcot to Tindivanam in 2L roads. On the other hand, in chittoor route, after you cross KA border, all the way till Ranipet, you have 2L roads, and needs higher attention and driving effort. If you are fine with that, you can choose the route depending on your energy levels and the time you leave the city.

Its just a matter of individual's comfort level driving in 2L roads vs 4L/6L roads.

-Ravi

Last edited by ravib : 23rd February 2016 at 19:52.
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2016, 12:05   #1513
Senior - BHPian

Did a Bangalore-Pondy-Madras-Bangalore round trip for another condolence.

Started at 3.30 pm on Wednesday 24th Feb, from C.V.Raman Nagar home and reached Pondy at 10 pm including 1 hour break at Arcot A2B. Took the same route as earlier. Noticed that in last 20 days, the new roads are being laid in many places between Arcot to Cheyyar. Other road conditions remain the same.

Left Pondy at 8 am on 25th Feb to Madras via ECR and reached at 11 am. The roads are beautiful between Pondy to Mamallapuram/Mahabalipuram. Between Mamallapuram to Madras, I wasn't aware that the road is converted to 4L. More than 95% of the 4L road work is completed with some small stretches pending. Can't make out now when i crossed Muttukadu bridge, Crocodile park and other usual places in ECR until i reached Maayajal/MGM Dizzee world in ECR ECR is getting a new look now !

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th February 2016, 18:39   #1514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Between Mamallapuram to Madras, I wasn't aware that the road is converted to 4L. More than 95% of the 4L road work is completed with some small stretches pending. Can't make out now when i crossed Muttukadu bridge, Crocodile park and other usual places in ECR until i reached Maayajal/MGM Dizzee world in ECR ECR is getting a new look now !

-Ravi
When i visited Chennai last April (crocodile park on ECR), I noticed work was going on in full swing to make ECR into a 4 lane road
Old 28th February 2016, 23:26   #1515
BHPian

Quote:
DMore than 95% of the 4L road work is completed with some small stretches pending. Can't make out now when i crossed Muttukadu bridge, Crocodile park and other usual places in ECR until i reached Maayajal/MGM Dizzee world in ECR ECR is getting a new look now !

-Ravi
Add to it numerous housing development projects. In other words, ECR has lost its charm! We do have some pleasant memories down that lane, but was totally shocked with how it has turned out to be!

I have always felt that instead of them touching the ECR and its charm, should've tried to expand OMR.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks