Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2017, 21:23   #1696
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Best route for Chidambaram-Bangalore Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by surechim View Post
I intend to make a night halt at Tiruvannamalai
Do you have work there that you are stopping at Tiruvannamalai? If yes then you can try the route Suresh has mentioned in the post above. I remember reading on facebook that Gingee - Tindivanam is ok roads with occasional patchy sections. Not sure about Gingee - T Malai.

Quote:
chennai -Mahabalipuram-pondy(2 nights stay)
If your plan is to get to Bangalore from Pondy, then stick to the normal Pondy - Tindivanam - Vandavasi - Cheyyar - Arcot - Krishnagiri - Bangalore route. Pondy to Silk board is easily doable in 5 - 5.5 hrs of controlled driving as long as you dont get stuck at tolls.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2017, 21:56   #1697

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Do you have work there that you are stopping at Tiruvannamalai? If yes then you can try the route Suresh has mentioned in the post above. I remember reading on facebook that Gingee - Tindivanam is ok roads with occasional patchy sections. Not sure about Gingee - T Malai.

If your plan is to get to Bangalore from Pondy, then stick to the normal Pondy - Tindivanam - Vandavasi - Cheyyar - Arcot - Krishnagiri - Bangalore route. Pondy to Silk board is easily doable in 5 - 5.5 hrs of controlled driving as long as you dont get stuck at tolls.
Yes. Just a visit to the temple

Quote:

Thanks. Just a relaxed visit to the TVM Temple

Last edited by bblost : 1st May 2017 at 22:18. Reason: Back to Back. Also please note that typing with .. is not allowed. Please proofread before submitting a post.
Old 1st May 2017, 22:23   #1698
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Yes. Just a visit to the temple
Even if you have a relaxed visit, you can still be done by lunch and then reach Pondicherry by evening. But if you really want to stay there are many places.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2017, 22:45   #1699
BHPian

Just did Pondicherry - Bangalore via the Tindivanam - Tiruvannamalai - Krishnagiri route.

Absolutely pathetic condition in several stretches. Some huge potholes (especially on the Tiruvannamalai to Krishnagiri stretch) which are almost invisible at some places. Should have taken the Vandavasi - Arcot route instead despite the extra 40kms.

Avoid the Tindivanam - Tiruvannamalai - Krishnagiri route unless you don't have a choice.

Last edited by loki : 1st May 2017 at 22:50.
loki is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 23:29   #1700

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki View Post
Just did Pondicherry - Bangalore via the Tindivanam - Tiruvannamalai - Krishnagiri route.
As per Google map it's 67km more!

Last edited by ampere : 3rd May 2017 at 01:20.
Old 3rd May 2017, 09:44   #1701
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I drove on the T V Malai- Gingee road. Very much motorable with out any issues. Let me give the time taken details:

Left home @ Bommanahalli: 4:55 AM
Reached Tiruvannamalai: 9 AM
Reached Gingee: 9:30 AM

Route taken for onward journey: Via Attibele, Hosur by pass, Krishnagiri, Bargur, Mathur, Uthangarai, Singarapettai, Chengam, Tiruvannamamalai
suresh_gs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2017, 15:25   #1702

Mod note: Post Edited. Please use proper punctuation and avoid typing like this.... Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
I drove on the T V Malai- Gingee road. Very much motorable with out any issues. Let me give the time taken details:

So, that means Pondy - TVM is fine, and the stretch between TVM-Krishnagiri is the problem right? Do we have any good road option for this?

Last edited by ampere : 4th May 2017 at 20:27. Reason: Mod note: Please use proper punctuation and avoid typing like this.... Thanks.
Old 4th May 2017, 16:11   #1703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So, that means Pondy - TVM is fine, and the stretch between TVM-Krishnagiri is the problem right? Do we have any good road option for this?
Between Krishnagiri and Tiruvannamalai, road widening is going on. You get wide 2 lane roads without lane marking to drive. This suddenly narrows down to the regular 2 lane road that has some bad patches. Otherwise no issues to drive.
Infact I took 4 hrs to drive from Bangalore to Tiruvannamalai. The road from Tiruvannamali to Gingee has some road widening in progress . Overall the road is very good to drive. Not sure about the stretch from Gingee to Tindivanam. My guess is it should be also OK to drive. Tindivanam to Pondy is a 4 lane tolled road.

If you are looking at options then I will suggest you to take the following route

Via Hosur, Krishangiri, Bargur, Tirupattur, Singarapettai, Chengam, Tiruvannamalai, Gingee and Tindivanam.

Last edited by ampere : 4th May 2017 at 20:27.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2017, 18:16   #1704
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If your destination is Truvannamalai, don't bother about the Pondy part - that is via Tindivanam and that section has always been good

To go to Tiruvannamalai, other than the route via Bargur-Singarapettai that Suresh has mentioned, you can take the Morappur route by going straight at Krishnagiri towards Dharmapuri and then turning off when you see the Morappur/Harur turn off. At Harur, ask for Teerthamalai and take that route. Teerthamalai-Tiruvannamalai was average and a bit rough so speeds won't be high on that section but should be manageable.

Another alternative is to go via Vellore.

Last edited by NPV : 4th May 2017 at 18:18.
Old 7th May 2017, 19:22   #1705
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Since you have kids on board, the best route will be via Hosur, Krishnagiri, Vellore, Arcot, Cheyyar, Vandavasi and Tindivanam
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
However, I would still encourage you to consider taking the route via Arcot-Tindivanam which is kind of de facto standard route now. More options for breaks as well since you're basically on the Bangalore-Chennai route till Arcot.
Thanks! Vellore - Arcot - Tindivanam it is then.
What is a good place to stop for breakfast (pure veg preferrable) assuming I manage to leave Bengalooru (Hebbal) at around 5AM?
I have been to the A2B near Krishnagiri before and would prefer something an hour or more after it.
Old 7th May 2017, 21:38   #1706
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma83 View Post
I have been to the A2B near Krishnagiri before and would prefer something an hour or more after it.
Consider one of these:
1. Sai Sangeet at Vaniyambadi, on the​ left just after the long railway overbridge. About 60km from Krishnagiri.

2. A2B at Arcot on left side. This is before you take the turn off at Arcot for you Pondicherry route. About 135km from Krishnagiri.

I think based on your 5am planned start, Sai Sangeet will be ideal, the food is awesome there and they have a nice store to just browse or buy something.

Last edited by Zappo : 8th May 2017 at 17:19. Reason: Typo fixed
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2017, 21:05   #1707
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Consider one of these:
1. Sai Sangeet at Vaniyambadi, on the​ left just after the long railway overbridge. About 60km from Krishnagiri.

2. A2B at Arcot on left side. This is before you take the turn off at Arcot for you Pondicherry route. About 135km from Krishnagiri.

I think based on your 5am planned start, Sai Sangeet will be ideal, the food is awesome there and they have a nice store to just browse or buy something.
Thanks NPV.

Slightly OT, but what is a good option for simple south indian veg food inside Pondicherry?
Old 10th May 2017, 21:10   #1708
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Slightly OT, but what is a good option for simple south indian veg food inside Pondicherry?
Hotel Surguru is a very popular one, not too far from the Aurobindo Ashram.
There is also an A2B (Adyar Ananda Bhavan) on MG Road, also close to the Ashram.

These are 2 places I've been to for South Indian food.

We also visited a Chaat place somewhere near the promenade inside a nice looking house/villa, very good chaats too.

Last edited by NPV : 10th May 2017 at 21:19.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2017, 18:05   #1709
BHPian

Last question! Since I am taking a rental from Blr to Pondy through TN, do I have to pay road tax twice at the TN and Pondy borders?
If so, what is the individual amount?
Old 11th May 2017, 22:50   #1710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Last question! Since I am taking a rental from Blr to Pondy through TN, do I have to pay road tax twice at the TN and Pondy borders?
If so, what is the individual amount?
AFAIK, yes. Amount to be paid depends on vehicle and you should be able to check it in the respective state transport website.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed