Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2017, 23:15   #1741
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogo_gogo View Post
I will start for Bangalore - Pondy tomorrow early morning. Which route should i take ?
Take Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Ambur-Vellore-Arcot-Cheyyar-Vandavasi-Tindivanam-Pondicherry.

This is basically the Chennai route till Arcot and then deviating towards Cheyyar.
All towns en route have bypasses, signages may be a bit confusing, please read earlier posts.

This had become the defacto route for a few years as the Chengam route was in tatters but part of that route has been recently relaid so you can also go via Bargur-Tirupathur, but my personal choice is the route above as it gives you more options for breaks and you get excellent 6 & 4 (partly) laned roads till Arcot. Even beyond that road conditions are very good all the way to Pondicherry.

Drive Safe and have a great trip!
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2017, 08:28   #1742
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaNdY_AR View Post
The Krishnagiri->Chengam->Tiruvannamalai ->Gingee->Tindivanam->Pondicherry is not just worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogo_gogo View Post
Option 1 316Km
Bangalore > Krishnagiri > Chengam > Tiruvannamalai > Tindivanam > Puducheery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
part of that route has been recently relaid so you can also go via Bargur-Tirupathur, but my personal choice is the route above as it gives you more options for breaks and you get excellent 6 & 4 (partly) laned roads till Arcot. Even beyond that road conditions are very good all the way to Pondicherry.
Even if the Krishnagiri > Chengam > Tiruvannamalai > Tindivanam is butter smooth 2L, it will have significantly high traffic density as compared to Arcot > Cheyyar > Vandavasi > Tindivanam. IMHO the latter should be the default option for a fast dash to Pondicherry irrespective of TVM route conditions.
Old 16th July 2017, 21:37   #1743
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Even if the Krishnagiri > Chengam > Tiruvannamalai > Tindivanam is butter smooth 2L, it will have significantly high traffic density as compared to Arcot > Cheyyar > Vandavasi > Tindivanam. IMHO the latter should be the default option for a fast dash to Pondicherry irrespective of TVM route conditions.
The catch is the route via Arcot is 50km extra. But yes as you mentioned even I would prefer that 50km extra because the 2-Lane one has to drive is relatively easier. And of course more options for food on the 4-lane.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2017, 09:24   #1744
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
2-Lane one has to drive is relatively easier. And of course more options for food on the 4-lane.
Not just that, All major towns have a bypass, which means you dont have to spend time in/near bus stands crawling behind buses.
Old 3rd August 2017, 16:12   #1745
BHPian

I live in Hoskote so Kolar route to Pondicherry would work for me.

Google Maps is showing me Hoskote>Kolar>Mulbagal>Nangali>Palamaner>Chittoor> Raanipet>Kalavai>Cheyyar>Vandvasi>Tindivanam>Pondi cherry

Should I change any of the routes? Please let me know.
Old 3rd August 2017, 16:32   #1746
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
I live in Hoskote so Kolar route to Pondicherry would work for me.

Google Maps is showing me Hoskote>Kolar>Mulbagal>Nangali>Palamaner>Chittoor> Raanipet>Kalavai>Cheyyar>Vandvasi>Tindivanam>Pondi cherry

You need to take the Chittoor by pass road. No need to enter Chittoor town. From Ranipet you can proceed to Arcot, Cheyyar, Vandavasi and Tindivanam. I dont think Kalavai comes anywhere in the picture
Old 3rd August 2017, 17:49   #1747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
From Ranipet you can proceed to Arcot, Cheyyar, Vandavasi and Tindivanam. I dont think Kalavai comes anywhere in the picture
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post

Kalavai is in between Arcot and Cheyyar. You won't get into the small town which is a slight devication, but will cross it through Adhiparasakthi college in SH itself.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 19:31   #1748
BANNED

Hi Guys
I am driving down this monday with my dacshund. Is there any restaurant/hotel on the way (Cheyyar-Vandavasi-Tindivanam-Pondicherry route) that will allow my doggie at the table while I snack? Also I dont want to stop on the edge of the road for his toilet pee-pee stuff. Is there a ground or open patch 2-3 hrs into the journey?

Also from Banaswadi (north BLR) side google maps is telling me to hit Hoskote-Kolar-Chittor before I reach Cheyyar-Vandavasi-Tindivanam. So should I skip Hosur-Krishnagiri-Ambur path and head out via Hoskote by climbing up KRPuram bridge instead? I plan to leave by 06:30am so not sure how the traffic conditions will be 1hr into the journey. I dont want to get stuck in traffic on exit from Bangalore.

Thanks
R

Last edited by Ragul : 4th August 2017 at 19:39.
Old 4th August 2017, 19:53   #1749
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Is there any restaurant/hotel on the way (Cheyyar-Vandavasi-Tindivanam-Pondicherry route) that will allow my doggie at the table while I snack?
I dont think there are any hotels to stop at on the Cheyyar - Tindivanam Stretch. Tindivanam - Pondicherry has quiet a few but I am not sure if any will allow your pal to sit at the table.
P.S: Do make sure you take the bypass and not drive into the towns.

Quote:
Hoskote-Kolar-Chittor before I reach Cheyyar-Vandavasi-Tindivanam
Traffic shouldnt be a problem if you leave at 6.30. Google is just optimizing for shortest distance and suggesting Kolar route. I would stick to Hosur - Krishnagrir. Also note that someone spotted speed gun a few kms before Krishnagiri toll. So do slow down a few kms before you hit the toll. Check Bangalore - Chennai thread for more details.
Old 4th August 2017, 19:58   #1750
BANNED

Quote:
P.S: Do make sure you take the bypass and not drive into the towns.
Ok is google maps good at showing bypass route and preventing a town criss-cross? At what waypoints into the journey do I need to watch out for a bypass turn/lane?

Quote:
Traffic shouldnt be a problem if you leave at 6.30. Google is just optimizing for shortest distance and suggesting Kolar route. I would stick to Hosur - Krishnagrir. Also note that someone spotted speed gun a few kms before Krishnagiri toll. So do slow down a few kms before you hit the toll. Check Bangalore - Chennai thread for more details.
So going via ORR - Bellandur-silkboard or Indiranagar-koramangala is still worth it due to better road conditions form the start (in comparison to hoskote route)? Ok will do that - I do like the hosur K'giri rd so should be fine.

Thanks!
R
Old 4th August 2017, 20:19   #1751
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ok is google maps good at showing bypass route and preventing a town criss-cross? At what waypoints into the journey do I need to watch out for a bypass turn/lane?
google isn't great at pointing you to the bypass. You are better off marking it and keeping you eyes peeled for it.

Cheyyar - you will pass a school/college on your left when entering outskirts. Just after than the road condition worsens and you will find a road leading to the right. That is the Bypass
https://goo.gl/maps/LgUwvs35QH12
Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries-cyrbp.jpg

Vandavasi - You will hit a small culvert/bridge before Vandavasi town where 4 roads meet. The Bypass is to your right as soon as you cross the bridge or culvert.
https://goo.gl/maps/pKEFWxdpGiG2
Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries-vvbp.jpg

Tindivanam - Follow the signs that say Chennai. You will hit Chennai - Ulundurpet highway, where you need to take a right, then take a left onto Pondy road.
https://goo.gl/maps/KYMKQrMuwdB2
Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries-tdvmbp.jpg
procrj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2017, 01:44   #1752
BANNED

Quote:
google isn't great at pointing you to the bypass. You are better off marking it and keeping you eyes peeled for it.

Cheyyar - you will pass a school/college on your left when entering outskirts. Just after than the road condition worsens and you will find a road leading to the right. That is the Bypass

Vandavasi - You will hit a small culvert/bridge before Vandavasi town where 4 roads meet. The Bypass is to your right as soon as you cross the bridge or culvert.

Tindivanam - Follow the signs that say Chennai. You will hit Chennai - Ulundurpet highway, where you need to take a right, then take a left onto Pondy road.
Thats very useful, Thanks! Here is a link to my map with the three bypasses included: https://goo.gl/maps/U9V1NX8MVBF2

Can you double-check for me if I got it right?

R

Last edited by Ragul : 5th August 2017 at 01:52.
Old 5th August 2017, 22:47   #1753
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul;4246703Here is a link to my map with the three bypasses included: [url
https://goo.gl/maps/U9V1NX8MVBF2[/url]
Yep that map is spot on. Hope you did end up taking the route and reached safe
Old 6th August 2017, 15:29   #1754
BANNED

Quote:
Yep that map is spot on. Hope you did end up taking the route and reached safe
I am going tommorrow thanks. How do I save the map to access it later with "send-to-phone" from within google maps? When I open GMAP then use "save to my home screen" - it is full (home screen) and nothing gets saved... the next time I launch GMAP - it does not remember my map history, and I dont want to make one more empty home screen just for this link.

R

Last edited by Ragul : 6th August 2017 at 15:31.
Old 6th August 2017, 17:16   #1755
BHPian

Quote:
I am going tommorrow thanks. How do I save the map to access it later with "send-to-phone" from within google maps? When I open GMAP then use "save to my home screen" - it is full (home screen) and nothing gets saved... the next time I launch GMAP - it does not remember my map history, and I dont want to make one more empty home screen just for this link.

R
Not sure if this helps, but the way I generally do is to download my route/destination as offline maps and keep. You can see the option 'Offline Maps' when you access the menu bar in GMaps from your phone.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks