Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2018, 16:54   #1816
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Hello friends,

I need your help and valuable input on my trip to Pondicherry.
I will be travelling to Club Mahindra, Pondicherry on July 10th Morning, leaving at 6 am, from BTM Layout, Bangalore.

I have to travel via Thirukoilure, which is about 35 kms south of Tiruvannamalai, before proceeding to Club Mahindra Pondicherry.

Google Maps suggests this route via Panruti from Thirukoilure, to reach Pondiucherry.

My question is, whether to take this route, or come back to Thiruvannamalai from Thirukoilure and take this route.

The second option is about 80 ms more than the first option. But then, i don't now the road condition between Thirukoilur to Pondicherry, via Panrutti.

Is there anyone who is familiar with this route and can enlighten me on this route?

Please also let me know good vegetarian breakfast option en route.

Thanks and Regards,

Narayan.

Last edited by iamnarayang : 22nd June 2018 at 16:57.
Old 22nd June 2018, 17:23   #1817
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnarayang View Post
Hello friends,

I need your help and valuable input on my trip to Pondicherry.
I will be travelling to Club Mahindra, Pondicherry on July 10th Morning, leaving at 6 am, from BTM Layout, Bangalore.

I have to travel via Thirukoilure, which is about 35 kms south of Tiruvannamalai, before proceeding to Club Mahindra Pondicherry.

Narayan.
I would suggest you to go to Villupuram from Thirukkoilur and then proceed to Pondicherry

Last edited by suresh_gs : 22nd June 2018 at 17:35.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2018, 21:22   #1818
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
I would suggest you to go to Villupuram from Thirukkoilur and then proceed to Pondicherry
Thank you. Is this the route you are suggesting? Any particular reason sir?
Old 22nd June 2018, 22:21   #1819
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, Please proceed to Pondy via Villupuram. I exactly took same route couple of years back and is the shortest. Its a decent 2L road and is usually not in bad state. Beware of heavy traffic between Villupuram to Pondy. No need to come back to Thiruvannamalai.

Also, remember there are no good food stop over breaks anywhere, even including Thirukoilur. So plan your timing accordingly.

-Ravi

Last edited by ravib : 22nd June 2018 at 22:23.
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 10:50   #1820
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I suggest the route as per your enclosed map. Villupuram to Pondicherry is a very good 2 Lane road. When in Tirukkoilur, try to visit the Ulagalandha perumal temple (part of 108 divya desams) and if time permits try to visit Adhi Thiruvarangam at Manalurpet near Thirukkoilur. This temple is much older than Srirangam, the idol is much bigger compared to Srirangam . This temple does not close for lunch

Last edited by suresh_gs : 25th June 2018 at 10:52.
Old 21st July 2018, 01:35   #1821
BHPian

Hi,

We went to Pondicherry last week and avoided shorter route suggested by Google maps. We started early around 5am and reached destination at 11:45am.

While coming back we started at 9am and reached home at 15:30.

Bangalore to Pondicherry

Distance : 380 kms approx
Time: 6.5 hours with two breaks

Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries-bangalorepondicherry.jpg

Pondicherry to Bangalore

Distance : 370 kms approx
Time: 6.5 hours with lunch break

Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries-pondicherrybangalore.jpg

Roads on both routes were excellent with low to moderate traffic. Drive was stress free at reasonable double digit speed.

FASTag experience: We were able to save around 15 mins both ways since FASTag lane was almost empty in all the toll booths.

I hope this helps folks planing to travel in this direction.

Regards.

Last edited by antardaksh : 21st July 2018 at 01:36.
Old 21st July 2018, 01:48   #1822
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I suggest the route as per your enclosed map. Villupuram to Pondicherry is a very good 2 Lane road.
I would add a caution that Villupuram town traffic during mornings and evenings are an absolute nightmare to deal with. Coming from Tirukovilur, one have to pass through 5-6km of town and suburban traffic before traffic becomes relatively thin. The entire route also can have heavy traffic on mornings and evenings.. Also, the detour on the road for flyover construction after Villiyanur is still in place.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 21st July 2018 at 01:50.
Yieldway17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2018, 06:35   #1823
BHPian

Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
When in Tirukkoilur, try to visit the Ulagalandha perumal temple (part of 108 divya desams) and if time permits try to visit Adhi Thiruvarangam at Manalurpet near Thirukkoilur. This temple does not close for lunch

Unfortunately the temple is closed in the afternoon ( AFAIK) and opens at 1630 hrs or 1700 hrs. Some weeks back when I went to Thiruvannamalai, and later to Pondicherry and while returning back to Bangalore ( it was Sunday), I happened to cross the temple around 1500 hrs and when I enquired at a shop in the thirukoyilur village I was told that the temple opens by 1500 hrs. I had a tough time to negotiate the crooked and narrow market roads and reach close to the temple entrance ( a path that takes us behind the outer tower ). It took me close to 20 mins to reach the parking close to the entrance. Later we realised that the temple main entrance is closed and some devotees were sitting on the floor at the entrance ( that place was pathetic , dark and not so clean ). We were told at 1530 hrs that it would take another 1 hr or more for the temple to open and we had to again negotiate the way back through the narrow market street to reach the so called highway, with a feeling of not having had a darshan despite our lost time and effort.

Last edited by cs_rajesh : 21st July 2018 at 06:37.
Old 21st July 2018, 11:55   #1824
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_rajesh View Post
Unfortunately the temple is closed in the afternoon ( AFAIK) and opens at 1630 hrs or 1700 hrs. Some weeks back when I went to Thiruvannamalai, and later to Pondicherry and while returning back to Bangalore ( it was Sunday), I happened to cross the temple around 1500 hrs and when I enquired at a shop in the thirukoyilur village I was told that the temple opens by 1500 hrs. I had a tough time to negotiate the crooked and narrow market roads and reach close to the temple entrance ( a path that takes us behind the outer tower ). It took me close to 20 mins to reach the parking close to the entrance. Later we realised that the temple main entrance is closed and some devotees were sitting on the floor at the entrance ( that place was pathetic , dark and not so clean ). We were told at 1530 hrs that it would take another 1 hr or more for the temple to open and we had to again negotiate the way back through the narrow market street to reach the so called highway, with a feeling of not having had a darshan despite our lost time and effort.
Are you talking about the Ulagalandha Perumal temple. If yes, then it closes in the noon and opens by 4 or 4 30 PM
The other temple, Adhi Thiruvarangam does not close for lunch in the noon.
Old 24th July 2018, 11:17   #1825
BHPian

Hi Folks,

Have been to Pondicherry 4-5 times but not in the last 3years, and I guess road situations have changed, perhaps some worsened due to the rains. I'm travelling to the white town end of this month for 3 days. I plan to start from HSR Layout and take Hosur Road, between 5:00-6:00am on Saturday morning and hoping to reach white town by 12:30-1:00am (with 2 pit stops, got kids and parents along). I plan to start back from Pondicherry around 11:00am and hope to be back in HSR layout by 5:30pm on Monday. On the way back, I hope to make do with only 1 pit stop (just clean restrooms, and clean/simple food).

Could someone suggest the ideal route with awareness of likely traffic scenario on a Saturday, road-condition, any diversions etc. Should I follow google maps ?
Old 24th July 2018, 11:37   #1826
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdutta View Post
Hi Folks,

Have been to Pondicherry 4-5 times but not in the last 3years, and I guess road situations have changed, perhaps some worsened due to the rains. I'm travelling to the white town end of this month for 3 days. I plan to start from HSR Layout and take Hosur Road, between 5:00-6:00am on Saturday morning and hoping to reach white town by 12:30-1:00am (with 2 pit stops, got kids and parents along). I plan to start back from Pondicherry around 11:00am and hope to be back in HSR layout by 5:30pm on Monday. On the way back, I hope to make do with only 1 pit stop (just clean restrooms, and clean/simple food).

Could someone suggest the ideal route with awareness of likely traffic scenario on a Saturday, road-condition, any diversions etc. Should I follow google maps ?
Your ideal route is via Hosur, Krishnagiri, Vaniyambadi, Ambur, Vellore, Arcot, Cheyyar, Vandavasi and Tindivanam. Post Vellore you have to drive on 2 lane roads. Between Hosur and Vellore you have multiple options to break for food. I would suggest you to take break for food at Sai Sangeet near Vaniyambadi for the onward journey.

Last edited by suresh_gs : 24th July 2018 at 11:38.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2018, 11:46   #1827
BHPian

I haven't been to Pondy in the past 5 years, and I realize that White town is on the northern side. Still, one breezy option I tried at the time was Bangalore-Salem-Cuddalore (just south of Pondy).

The typical route is shown as 310kms in 8 hours, probably due to traffic patterns & road width as mentioned by others. The Salem detour is shown as 400kms, but it is all flat-out 4-lane toll roads (I think you'd have to pony up like ₹300 overall for the toll), and I wouldn't be surprised if it only took 7 hours.

I just saw @suresh_gs's message. If you take that route, Saravana Bhavan inside Vellore is also an option, closer to half-way on the route. On the Salem route, there'll be options till Salem.

Last edited by yatin : 24th July 2018 at 11:49.
yatin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2018, 13:20   #1828
BHPian

Thanks a lot @suresh_gs and @yatin ! I think 3 out of the 5-6 times I've been to Pondy, I've taken the Krishnagiri > Vellore > Arcot > Vandavasi > Tindivanam route... since the much shorter route through Krishnagiri > Chengam > Thiruvannamali was all dug-up and under construction (I guess for some 7-8 years), but a year back I'd noticed reports of the shorter route being almost completely redone. Is that untrue ?

Google indicates:
- Route via Vellore > Arcot > Vandavasi > Tindivanam - 370Kms / 6:30 hrs
- Route via Chengam > Thiruvannamali > Tindivanam - 300Kms / 6:00 hrs
- Route via Salem > Villupuram (not touching Cuddalore) - 415Kms / 7:15 hrs [via Cuddalore it is 5Kms longer and 5mins shorter]

This is with traffic conditions currently prevailing at around 1:10pm on Tuesday. Checked with the "leave at" option on Google maps (assuming start on Saturday @ 5:30AM), even then the route through Chengam & Thiruvannamali is shown to be almost an hour shorter.

Any specific reasons why @suresh_gs sir you proposed the route through Vellore ? Is it because it has better, family-friendly pit-stops ? If so, do you think we could aim to take the shorter, route through Changam & Thiruvannamalai on the way back (starting Monday 11am) ?

Many thanks.
Old 24th July 2018, 14:24   #1829
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdutta View Post

If so, do you think we could aim to take the shorter, route through Changam & Thiruvannamalai on the way back (starting Monday 11am) ?

Many thanks.
If you want to take the Krishnagiri - Thiruvannamalai route to Pondicherry, I suggest you to take Krishnagiri, Tirupattur, Singarapettai, Chengam, Thiruvannamalai route. Krishnagiri to Singarapettai direct route is very patchy and wide road abruptly becomes narrow in many places. I travelled on this route very recently and this direct route from Krushnagiri upto Singarapettai was a pain to drive. Suggestd route to Thiruvannamalai.
iamnarayang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2018, 16:58   #1830
BHPian

Thanks @iamnarayang, noted. The overall difference with the slight detour is just 2kms, so seems well worth it.

OTOH, I noted that there are perhaps not too many well known pit-stop options. I found a few at Uthangarai, Chengam and Tiruvannamalai -- thought, most of them seem to be bang on road, and almost inside the towns, so not sure if there'd be some parking space.

If anyone knows of clean loo-stops (especially for elders and ladies), on this shorter route (i.e. via Krishnagiri > Chengam > Tiruvannamalai > Gingee), kindly let me know.

If someone is aware of the latest situation around one-ways and parking options in the Whitetown part (around Beach Road, Gandhi Statue, Commissioners Office etc.) in Puducherry, especially given the weekend, would appreciate if you can share tips. From past trips I remember that around evening 4 or 5pm, vehicular traffic would be stopped on beach road, and finding parking spots around beach road was a real struggle.

Finally, does anyone know if there are some light-weight, portable wheelchairs that can be rented in Bangalore for 3-4 days ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks