Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2018, 13:58   #1831
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Unable to edit my last post (don't see the option). Mods, kindly help merge the answer if possible.

@iamnarayang sir, I was mistaken, the overall difference with the detour (as per Google maps) is:

Krishnagiri > Tirupattur > Singarapettai : 102 mins (82.2 Kms)
Krishnagiri > Singarapettai : 70 mins (58.6 Kms)

and not just 2kms as I'd mentioned in last post. I checked the google-maps live-traffic status on both routes (at highest level of zoom), and it appears that there is about 0.5km of deep red on shorter route, and 1km of orange. On the longer route, there is about 0.2km of deep red and 0.5km of orange. Given this, the shorter route doesn't seem so bad.

Anything that I missed ? I won't mind slowing down in small sections. Do you think it is really worse than that ?

Last edited by bdutta : 27th July 2018 at 14:00.
Old 27th July 2018, 14:18   #1832
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdutta View Post
Given this, the shorter route doesn't seem so bad.

Anything that I missed ?
The shorter route is the NH 77 which was very bad till recently (and one of the reasons why the Arcot-Cheyyar-Vandavasi route was preferred for Pondicherry as well as being instrumental for the huge number of posts on this thread).
So, the Arcot route is still the best since you get NH 48 (the Chennai route) till Arcot and after that the roads are good and towns have bypasses.

Bargur-Tirupattur-Singarapettai is also an option (slower though compared to the Arcot route) via smaller roads.

The direct route via NH 77 was work in progress for a long time but much better now - it's still patchy in some places and stretches where the road narrows down suddenly from wider sections. This is what @iamnarayang also mentioned in his post. If you plan to try this route, look up earlier posts 2-3 pages back, some say it is good (though it can be relative to how it was earlier).
If you decide to try this route, better would be for onward journey from Bangalore if you start early morning.

Last edited by NPV : 27th July 2018 at 14:26.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2018, 14:49   #1833
BHPian

Quote:
Unable to edit my last post (don't see the option). Mods, kindly help merge the answer if possible.
Krishnagiri > Tirupattur > Singarapettai : 102 mins (82.2 Kms)
Krishnagiri > Singarapettai : 70 mins (58.6 Kms)
Sharing my perspective, hope it helps.

I have made 7 trips from Bangalore in the past 4 years, with all kinds of company - pregnant wife, 6 months' infant and senior citizens. Everytime I took the route below -

Krishnagiri - Ambur - Vellore - Arcot - Cheyyar (bypass) - Vandavasi (bypass) - Tindivanam (bypass)

Cheyyar bypass was 3rd class once upon a time, which is now 1st class - the only bottleneck on this route, which has been taken care of.

You have excellent options to break between Krishnagiri and Arcot, with the last one being A2B at Arcot, before you take SH5 towards rural TN.

Given the priorities you have for your passengers, and going by the very few updates here on the alternative route, I would stick to the tried & tested route no matter how many extra kms. it takes, because I am confident it won't take a toll on driving, in addition to the pleasant rural drive on SH5.

Yes, it's good to try alternate routes, but you can do that some other time, or while driving back to Bangalore.

My last trip in that direction was in May 3rd week this year.

P.S. you cannot edit your post on your own after 30 mins. of posting. Need to report it to the Moderators if a change in the post is needed.

Thank you.
Safety is Param is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2018, 19:16   #1834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think you missed the bypass: Route Link

Its pretty much seamless to use it.

Perhaps because Google Maps doesn't include it in the default Route. Tried just now, and manually added.
Old 29th July 2018, 08:20   #1835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Your ideal route is via Hosur, Krishnagiri, Vaniyambadi, Ambur, Vellore, Arcot, Cheyyar, Vandavasi and Tindivanam. Post Vellore you have to drive on 2 lane roads. Between Hosur and Vellore you have multiple options to break for food. I would suggest you to take break for food at Sai Sangeet near Vaniyambadi for the onward journey.
@suresh_gs: This route is time tested and suggested over here in Team BHP.I wanted to add: Sometime back I took the same route via Kolar-Mulbagal-Vellore-Arcot-Cheyyar-Vandavasi,Tindivanam,Pondy. At that time we were living in Nort Bangalore and I proceeded via Old Madras Rd onwards.
Old 29th July 2018, 09:55   #1836
BHPian

Quote:
Finally, does anyone know if there are some light-weight, portable wheelchairs that can be rented in Bangalore for 3-4 days ?
Name:Relief Orthotics And Physiotherapy
Company:Wheelchair Rental
ShivKumar:080-665-08324
Mobile:080 2678 1490
KishoreKumar:+91 98453 16515
HomeAddress:BTM Layout, 1st Stage
Near Gangotri Circle and Sairam Medical Bangalore India
vharihar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2018, 15:25   #1837
BHPian

Currently in Pondy. Drove my Lodgy via the shortest route, because it was day time and I wanted to see take this route because of nostalgic reasons. We started from near HSR layout at 5:02am after rushing everyone since 4am. We reached Nala Residency, Tiruvannamalai as our first pitstop at 7:58am. We started back at 9:02am (yeah, we had a hearty lazy breakfast - especially after surprising ourselves with how soon we seemed to have reached mid point). We continued and reached White town, Pondy next to Mahatma Gandhi's statue by 11:01am... Absolutely surprised. Not a minute of exaggeration, and I think I drove reasonably safe. That is 5hrs if driven non-stop. Note that I did not attempt to take the better route via Tirupattur, to reach Singarpettai...the absolute shortest route. I didn't take the bypass at Tindivannam either, and traffic through city at 9:50am on Saturday was not at all crowded, though there is a tricky diversion (that Google Maps wasn't aware of).

The reports about road conditions are quite accurate. The 4 lane does become 2 lane suddenly, and there are some bad patches, but thanks to the generous and accurate reports from other kind members, I kept my eyes peeled and drove very cautiously in that section... Trying to keep speed between 50-60kmph, not more. It does pass through villages where one needs to slow down, buy 70% of the route, one can drive at 90+ kmph. One does need to be careful because at 2 places, the state roadways bus made some scary manuevers, and lack of divider was instantly felt. Definitely, definitely not a route to take if driving is involved in low or poor lighting, certainly not at night.

OTOH, no dearth of reasonably decent pitstops.
bdutta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 10:32   #1838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
I have made 7 trips from Bangalore in the past 4 years, with all kinds of company - pregnant wife, 6 months' infant and senior citizens. Everytime I took the route below -

Krishnagiri - Ambur - Vellore - Arcot - Cheyyar (bypass) - Vandavasi (bypass) - Tindivanam (bypass)
About a month ago, I did Blore-TVMalai-Blore where I assessed 2 route options (see http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post4390445)

Last weekend I did Blore-Pudicherry-Blore, where onward I did via Krishnagiri, Mathur, Uthangarai, Chengam, TVMalai, Tindivanam, and return I did as suggested mostly in this forum, viz. via Tindivanam, Arcot, Vellore, Ambur, Krishnagiri.

After having done all 3 variants, I would strongly recommend:

Blore, Krishnagiri, Karimangalam (on Salem Hwy), Morappur, Harur, Teerthamalai, Chinniyampettai, TVMalai, Gingee, Tindivanam, Puducherry.

And do the reverse in the return.

The Karimangalam - TVMalai stretch, though 2-laned, has sparse traffic and is very scenic, and has good roads, and good, constant speeds can be maintained.
vharihar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2018, 10:59   #1839
BHPian

Hi all,

Did a Hosur - Pondicherry drive last weekend.
Took the Kariamangalam - Harur - Tiruvannamalai - Tindivanam route.
Started at 7.15 AM and reached at 1.45 PM

A couple of observations:

1. Kariamangalam - Tiruvannamalai: Decent road conditions throughout. Harur town was crowded and had to wade through a little traffic. Quite a few ups, downs and curves throughout this stretch. Very sparse traffic though

2. Tiruvannamalai - Tindivanam: Decent road surface throughout except for sudden narrow stretches (where the old highway has still not been relaid)

Overall this route looks good for a day journey and best avoided for late evening/night drives
ns94 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 06:12   #1840
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns94 View Post
1. Kariamangalam - Tiruvannamalai: Decent road conditions throughout. Harur town was crowded and had to wade through a little traffic. Quite a few ups, downs and curves throughout this stretch. Very sparse traffic though
Did you not try the Harur Bypass ? Or is it that the bypass itself is crowded?

Quote:
2. Tiruvannamalai - Tindivanam: Decent road surface throughout except for sudden narrow stretches (where the old highway has still not been relaid)

Overall this route looks good for a day journey and best avoided for late evening/night drives
I agree. Some how even I dont like facing changes in road conditions suddenly. Would rather drive during the day.
Old 16th August 2018, 17:30   #1841
BHPian

Is there any decent food stop between Arcot and Pondicherry with wash room facility. I am travelling with parents, wife and kid and all of them may need to use restroom on this stretch.
Old 16th August 2018, 17:37   #1842
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Is there any decent food stop between Arcot and Pondicherry with wash room facility. I am travelling with parents, wife and kid and all of them may need to use restroom on this stretch.
I'm not too sure about any good options after you turn off at Arcot.
One option before you turn off is the A2B on the service road at Arcot.

Last edited by NPV : 16th August 2018 at 17:48.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2018, 12:44   #1843
BHPian

Did anyone visit Pichaviram Mangrove forest? Is it worth a visit in the monsoon considering the distance from Pondicherry?
Old 18th August 2018, 08:14   #1844
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is there any decent food stop between Arcot and Pondicherry with wash room facility
if you take the tindivanam bypass, you will find a lot of "bhavans", which are decent options. Eg. https://maps.google.com/?cid=17386295985676041679

Quote:
Did anyone visit pitchavaram
east coast rainy season starts November but given the rainfall in ghats this year, you might want to check with locals before heading out. If you are in pondy for a couple of days, would suggest you don't include pitchavaram in the plan.
Old 21st August 2018, 16:40   #1845
BHPian

This is going to be my first drive to Pondicherry. Google suggests the below route, is this the preferred route being discussed here ?

MaSh
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries-screenshot_20180821163718.png  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks