Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2019, 13:43   #1906
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjay1707 View Post
Will be driving from Puducherry to Bangalore Airport on Monday morning to take a flight. Need advise on how to proceed beyond Hosur towards the airport.
If it's early morning before 6am at Attibele toll, go straight via city on the Hosur Road ->Forum Mall->Chinnaswamy -> Windsor Manor -> Hebbal -> Airport. (Never know where else they may be doing the white topping)

Currently there is white topping Bhagya happening from Hennur to Hebbal. I got stuck on Sunday Morning at 5.30am near hennur junction due to this mess.
The other option is via Attibele -Dommasandra-Varthur- Whitefield - Budigere- Airport but its a slower route but you could expect less surprises.
adi_gt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 10:30   #1907
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Nope. Maps is just showing you the shortest route. The most comfortable one is the route suggested by adi_gt.
Thank you. I actually did not follow your advise and blindly followed google maps. It was an amazing drive (sorry I cant recollect which ways/towns we went but reached in good time. Drove through some amazing state highways with well paved roads - some bad patches were there but negligible.
Return also was via google maps, since we wanted to stop over in Ambur (bought some leather products btw).
What amazed me was as soon as we got near Hosur, traffic just became M-A-D! I mean, what a drastic difference! Maybe because of switching from highway to a smaller road, but still, the difference in vehicle behaviour and driver behaviour was so suddenly different. Thats my most outstanding observation.
Old 23rd January 2019, 20:41   #1908
Senior - BHPian

I'm looking at the best route for Vellore to Pondicherry this weekend. I usually take the Vellore-Cheyyar-Tindivanam-Pondy route. Drive is OK, but roads are single lanes on each side and there are plenty of speed bumps which can get annoying.
One of my friends had suggested Vellore-Ranipet-Kanchipuram bypass-Manampathi-Tindivanam-Pondy which is 20 km more, 15 min longer but better roads.
I looked up Google maps and it is suggesting Vellore-Kaniyambadi-Gingee-Tindivanam-Pondy as the best route which has the same time as my usual route.
Any idea whether it is worth changing my usual option for either of these?

Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries-screen-shot-20190123-8.30.51-pm.png
Old 3rd February 2019, 22:15   #1909
BHPian

What is be the best route now from Bangalore to Pondicherry?

I have been to Pondicherry a couple of years back. The preferred route back then was via Vellore. So, I drove via Vellore that time.

Is there a better option available now? I prefer faster, good roads over slow ones that may save some kms. Please advice if somebody know.
Old 4th February 2019, 00:37   #1910
BHPian

I drove to Bangalore and back from Pondicherry in the first week of December. I went via Thiruvannamalai. The road between Tindivanam and Krishnagiri is not really in great shape and I regretted taking the route. I returned via Vellore (Cheyyar - Vandavasi - Tindivanam). I believe the route via Vellore is still the best option, though longer.
sparameswaran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2019, 08:30   #1911
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B103 View Post
What is be the best route now from Bangalore to Pondicherry?
For better roads and more 4/6 laned sections, stick to Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Arcot-Cheyyar-Vandavasi-Tindivanam (all towns have bypasses). Read earlier posts with the details (I'm guessing that's the route you took 2 years ago).
There was a brief period last year when the Krishnagiri-Tiruvannamalai route had good surface, but according to recent reports here, it has gone bad again with intermittent sections of good and bad sections, so in my opinion, it is better to avoid.

Last edited by NPV : 4th February 2019 at 08:31.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2019, 09:54   #1912
BHPian

Back yesterday night after a 3 day vacation in Pondi.

Unlike many of our friends who advised against the idea of spending any more than 2 days due to lack of "entertainment" options, we throughly enjoyed our stay and it never felt stretched. As we stayed close to Auroville, we got to experience the mixed cultures. It felt great to witness people of different nationalities and backgrounds living together harmoniously. Not fighting but instead working towards a greater goal. It was a fulfilling experience.

Anyway coming to the routes we took;
* Onward (Hosur-Krishnagiri-Bargur-Tirupattur-Singarapettai-Tiruvannamalai-Gingee-Tindivanam): We decided not to skip Tiruvannamalai one way so chose this route for our onward journey. Since TN general election were around the corner, we were flagged down by police serveral times enroute for checks. Bargur-Tirupattur-Singarapettai overall is still good although at several places road was dug up to construct culverts and not leveled. Singarapettai-Chengam, for about 10 kms after Singarapettai lake it was terrible. The road has deteriorated so much since last November. Never ending deep potholes are real nuisance in this stretch. The kind for which you have to come to halt to overcome or circumvent them by going the other side. Avoid Chengam bypass, it is incomplete with and deserted. You will actually save time by going through the town. Tiruvannamalai-Tindivanam via. Gingee was ranging between OK and good. It is recommended to not go over 70kmph though. NH32 after Tindivanam till a diversion towards Auroville just before toll gate was in pristine condition and was a pleasure to drive on.

* Return (Tindivanam by pass-Vandavasi-Cheyyar-Arcot-Krishnagiri-Hosur): We started our return after a nice lunch at a French cafe in White Town. Since we lost time passing through the crowded and helter-skelter streets of Tindivanam during onward journey, we decided to skip the town. So we stuck to NH32 going in Chennai direction, exited right after Salavadi to join NH77 and then proceeded on SH5 towards Arcot. SH5 is a good single carriageway albeit a little narrow in places and well populated with unruly motorists and trucks. It passes through scenic landscapes and beautiful villages. Near Arcot we joined the excellent NH48. A leather goods shopping spree at Ambur and late evening snack at Sai Sangeet followed. And to our relief deserted Bangalore roads welcomed us back.

Last edited by strawhat : 19th March 2019 at 10:02.
strawhat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2019, 15:03   #1913
BHPian

I did a Bangalore - Pondicherry - Bangalore trip last week. Started on Sunday (7 Apr) at 8:30 AM. Due to Ugadi holiday, the bangalore roads had almost nil traffic. Took, BTM > Silk Board > Elevated Flyover route towards hosur.

I wasn't sure about the route to follow post Krishnagiri, but Google suggested to take the route via Mathur> Uthangarai > Chengam > Thiruvannamalai > Gingee > Thindivanam > Pondicherry.

As soon as i entered this route post Krishnagiri, i was cursing myself as the surface is in poor condition. The upper layer of the road has come off any a lot of places and that has led to numerous pot holes! Drove at a steady speed till we reached Chengam.

The road condition from Chengam on-wards is excellent. The surface has been relaid recently as with very minimal traffic i was able to maintain 3 digit speeds.

Even with 30 mins breakfast stop at Sarvana bhavan, we were able to reach pondicherry by 1:45 PM

On the return journey on 11 Apr, took the same route. started at 9 AM, maintained good speeds till chengam (we were stopped 3 time for checking by flying squads of ECI), took 30 mins break at Sarvana bhavan for lunch and reached home by 2:30 PM.

So if anyone is planning to drive to pondicherry, i would suggest you take the route via Bargur > Tirupattur > Chengam > Thiruvannamalai > Gingee > Thindivanam > Pondicherry as the surface is much better
ant_vas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th June 2019, 22:37   #1914
Senior - BHPian

Last Friday, traveled Bangalore - Pondy - Bangalore.

Onward Journey was,
Krishnagiri/Vellore/Arcot/Cheyyar/Vandavasi.
Roads post Arcot till Tindivanam is bumpy and road humps. Covered this during middle of the night still it was not so good.

Return Journey was,
Tindivanam/Gingee/Chetpet/Arani/Pallikonda/Krishnagiri.
Roads till Gingee is known and good too. From Gingee to Arani is beautiful country side, well laid wide roads. From Arani, till you reach NH near Pallikonda is average but not as bumpy as Cheyyar/Vandavasi road. Lot of turns are required but one can rely on google maps here. I did this between 4pm to 6 pm and it was not stressful.

Here is the link to the route https://goo.gl/maps/LjrUiN1HKCsTgSuQ9
rk_sans is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th June 2019, 07:31   #1915
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
Return Journey was,
Roads till Gingee is known and good too. From Gingee to Arani is beautiful country side, well laid wide roads. From Arani, till you reach NH near Pallikonda is average but not as bumpy as Cheyyar/Vandavasi road. Lot of turns are required but one can rely on google maps here. I did this between 4pm to 6 pm and it was not stressful.
One option can be : From Pallikonda drive all the way to Arani and then to Vandavasi/Tindivanam. Thats cuts out the Arcot-Cheyyar roundabout. Gets you best of both worlds. Similarly also cuts out Gingee/Chetpet.
But we need to how good (or bad is Arani-Vandavasi section)

Last edited by ampere : 19th June 2019 at 07:32.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2019, 10:02   #1916
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
Last Friday, traveled Bangalore - Pondy - Bangalore.

Onward Journey was,
Krishnagiri/Vellore/Arcot/Cheyyar/Vandavasi.
Roads post Arcot till Tindivanam is bumpy and road humps. Covered this during middle of the night still it was not so good.

Return Journey was,

Here is the link to the route https://goo.gl/maps/LjrUiN1HKCsTgSuQ9

What was the approximate time you took on both routes? I am planning my first run on this route in August. Thats why asking.
Old 2nd August 2019, 10:38   #1917
BHPian

Has anybody done this drive recently?

I wanted to know about the below -
1. Road conditions
2. Preferred route
3. Decent food stops
Old 13th August 2019, 19:52   #1918
BHPian

Drove down to Pondy over the weekend. Took different routes on the way out and back.

Bangalore to Pondy -
Whitefield - Attibele - Krishnagiri - Vaniyambadi - Ambur - Pallikonda - Arani - Chetpet - Tindivanam - Pondy

Road Conditions - Absolutely perfect. From Pallikonda to Arani is a fabulous drive through scenic perfectly tarred state highway with not much traffic.

Pondy to Bangalore -
I stay in Whitefield, so here is an alternate route through Hoskote.
Pondy - Thindivanam - Chetpet - Arani - Pallikonda - Gudiyattam - Palamaner - Mulbagal - Kolar - Hoskote - Bangalore.

People staying in Kadugodi, KR Puram, Whitefield, Old Madras Road can take this route just to have change in scenery and a different route. The road conditions are ok, not bad. Tarmac from Pallikonda to Mulbagal is very scenic and through a forest. Some sections are not great roads. There are a total of three petrol pumps between this stretch and no eating options. Takes about an hour of leisurely drive. But as I said earlier, very scenic. We had food at Pallikonda before turning to Gudiyattam and didn't need fuel so were good. But be sure to get both these in order before taking this route.

For people this side of town this is actually the Google suggested route. Another advantage is you will be spared the bad roads and speed breakers in Bangalore between Varthur and Attibele.

Actually the whole trip worst roads were inside Bangalore.

Trip dates are 10th August to 12th August for perspective. Hopefully others find this trip report to be helpful.
Sunil2307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 20:02   #1919
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil2307 View Post
Bangalore to Pondy -
Whitefield - Attibele - Krishnagiri - Vaniyambadi - Ambur - Pallikonda - Arani - Chetpet - Tindivanam - Pondy

Road Conditions - Absolutely perfect. From Pallikonda to Arani is a fabulous drive through scenic perfectly tarred state highway with not much traffic.
I presume you are referring to the Golden Temple Exit after Pallikonda toll? I had heard from many folks. Thanks for the share. This is great to note!
Cheyyar/Vandasi has been getting a bit worn out.

Also instead of Arani/Chetpet we can try Arani-Vandavasi-Tindivanam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil2307 View Post
After Pallikonda I just followed Google Maps. There was some traffic in Tindivanam, as the route passes through the town. Might have taken like 10 mins. But I will keep Vandavasi option in my mind if I go back soon.

Try this for a bypass :
Pondicherry Bypass

This is very obvious when you drive in from Vandavasi.

Last edited by ampere : 13th August 2019 at 20:13.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 20:11   #1920
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

Also instead of Arani/Chetpet we can try Arani-Vandavasi-Tindivanam
After Pallikonda I just followed Google Maps. There was some traffic in Tindivanam, as the route passes through the town. Might have taken like 10 mins. But I will keep Vandavasi option in my mind if I go back soon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks