Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2020, 23:03   #1966
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsathyap View Post
Depending on what time you leave from BLR, your breakfast options could either be A2B at Krishnagiri, or the Sai Sangeet Restaurant before Vellore. Post this, you could stop for a quick coffee/tea/bio break at A2B Arcot (like we did). Dont follow Google maps for this Arcot A2B as it asks you to take a U turn at some wrong location.
Its a clear answer. Umpteen options till Krishnagiri. Post that, Sai Sangeet, Quite some CCDs and an A2B at Arcot. There are enough sign boards to lead you this A2B. Best idea to maximize the the first leg of the drive. If the idea is to start very early say 4AM, then drive all the way till A2B. (Its about little over 200km but quite possible). If not drive till Sai Sangeeth.

Post Arcot your next break option is at Tindivanam (At the GST/ NH66 exit). I guess one may not need it as one is close to Pondicherry itself. But please do use the bypass. Its a pain getting through Tindivanam town.
Old 7th February 2020, 09:56   #1967

Travelling to Pondicherry from Bangalore and planning to start around 2:30 PM. Based on the forum it's Krishnagiri -> Vellore -> Cheyyar -> Tindivanam -> Pondy. Is it still the recommended route ? How about the route via Tiruvannamali ? The last time (couple of months back) I went this route had a lot of pot holes from Krishnagiri to Chengam. Is it still same ?
Old 7th February 2020, 11:26   #1968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suviswan View Post
Travelling to Pondicherry from Bangalore and planning to start around 2:30 PM. Based on the forum it's Krishnagiri -> Vellore -> Cheyyar -> Tindivanam -> Pondy. Is it still the recommended route ? How about the route via Tiruvannamali ? The last time (couple of months back) I went this route had a lot of pot holes from Krishnagiri to Chengam. Is it still same ?
Had been to Tiruvannamalai 2 months ago. There were potholes, I had to slow down for almost every pothole because my sedan's ground clearance is pretty bad. Not sure if there was any repair work done within the last 2 months. Moreover, if you are driving a vehicle with good ground clearance, then it should not be much of a worry I think.
deadguy25 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2020, 12:03   #1969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Its a pain getting through Tindivanam town.
Just saw this. Using the bypass completely helps avoid the town.

Right before Tindivanam, there is a small temple on right with big statues of deities. Right after that, there is a left turn. Take that and continue till you hit the Chennai Trichy Highway. There is Cafe Ruchi on right at the intersection.
Take right there and continue for 2 kms - right before the flyover, there is a small left that takes you into Pondy road. Keep an eye on a small board mentioning Pondy, its very easy to miss.

Last edited by carChef : 9th February 2020 at 12:05. Reason: realised Ampere had already mentioned bypass, explaining the bypass.
carChef is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 09:33   #1970
BHPian

Planning to drive to Kanchipuram from Pondicherry in the coming week. Request recommendations for best route in terms of road quality. Planning to leave Pondicherry by 6 am to reach Kanchipuram by 9 am, it is doable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carChef View Post
... Using the bypass completely helps avoid the town.
Please share the Gmaps link for the bypass. Thanks.
Old 10th February 2020, 19:26   #1971
BHPian

Quote:
Tiruvannamalai via. Bargur-Tirupattur is pretty good. Patching has been redone after Singarapettai (based on my trip a month back) so the potholes on this stretch till Tiruvannamalai are no longer a problem.

Post-Tiruvannamalai road condition is generally good. My most recent travel on this stretch was 4 months back. The condition may have changed now but I don't think it would have worsened that much.

Please keep in mind that Arcot route is 45km longer but this is compensated by the luxury of driving on 6-lane expressway for a similar distance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBoss View Post
Please share the Gmaps link for the bypass. Thanks.
https://goo.gl/maps/71TMEDnyjfNBkDY59

Last edited by strawhat : 10th February 2020 at 19:33. Reason: Adding Gmaps link
strawhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 22:07   #1972
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Based on the forum it's Krishnagiri -> Vellore -> Cheyyar -> Tindivanam -> Pondy. Is it still the recommended route ? How about the route via Tiruvannamali ? The last time (couple of months back) I went this route had a lot of pot holes from Krishnagiri to Chengam. Is it still same ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawhat View Post
Tiruvannamalai via. Bargur-Tirupattur is pretty good. Patching has been redone after Singarapettai (based on my trip a month back) so the potholes on this stretch till Tiruvannamalai are no longer a problem.

Post-Tiruvannamalai road condition is generally good. My most recent travel on this stretch was 4 months back. The condition may have changed now but I don't think it would have worsened that much.

Please keep in mind that Arcot route is 45km longer but this is compensated by the luxury of driving on 6-lane expressway for a similar distance.
Since he is driving in the evening hours, I would suggest to go via Arcot. Its much better and more options to break till Arcot.
Old 12th February 2020, 11:27   #1973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_gt View Post
So, as has been discussed earlier in this thread, anyone who is starting from north and east Bangalore to Chennai/Pondy, taking the OMR is not such a bad option. You save a lots of time on relatively uncrowded tolls as well.
What an amazing recommendation man . You were in our thoughts after an eye popping return journey via Chitoor - so much of blessings to you.

So, basically, we went to Pondi on Sunday morning 9th Feb and living in East Bangalore, still took the Krishnagiri route for the only reason that it was known and there were a lot of restaurants for us and the kid to relax.

Bangalore - Hosur - Krisnagiri - Pallikonda - Arani - Gingee - Tindivanam - Pondicherry
Started at 8:00 AM, reached EC toll plaza by 8:30 AM thanks to Sunday morning no traffic, had few cars on the Toll and then finally reached resort at 3:30 PM after a total of 1 hour break (Sri Krishna Cafe post Hosur and Hotel Vasantha, Tindivenam). A total of 7.5 hours drive
Road till Palikonda is as discussed, without a doubt, excellent, but the road post that passed through small towns and was quite narrow. There was this bull running festival ( not sure but looked similar to jallikattu) which caused the roads to be blocked and we passed through even narrow stretches before connecting the highway to Arni. Apart from that, it was quite steady with usual or little traffic.

On Return, we followed your advice and took
Pondicherry - Tindivanam - Cheyar - Arcot - Ranipet - Chitor byepass - Palamaner - Kolar - Hoskote
Road till Tindivanam was butter smooth but then it took us inside the city market and then what followed was state highways till Chitoor.
Albeit for a small stretch of road, approx 25 kms, where google maps took us through small narrow village road and farms, which by the way make no mistake had zero pot holes, made me conservatively anxious (and wife pleasantly happy ) for it was very narrow single lane and deserted - rest of the state highway was 2 lane with 99.5% excellent roads until Chitor bye pass which again was no deal breaker to not take this route.
Post Chitor, till Kolar, the roads are 6 lane with zilch traffic and this made driving such a breeze and relaxing as you had all lanes by your self.

All it took us was 6.5 hours drive including 45 mins break and we skipped notorious Krishnagiri - hosur - EC - ORR traffic to reach East Bangalore and not to forget, we almost saved 300 bucks on tolls

It suddenly felt Pondi is so closer to Bangalore !

Last edited by Cooltronics : 12th February 2020 at 11:30.
Cooltronics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 14:46   #1974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooltronics View Post
What an amazing recommendation man . You were in our thoughts after an eye popping return journey via Chitoor - so much of blessings to you.

On Return, we followed your advice and took
Pondicherry - Tindivanam - Cheyar - Arcot - Ranipet - Chitor byepass - Palamaner - Kolar - Hoskote

It suddenly felt Pondi is so closer to Bangalore !
Thanks Buddy. I sincerely believe that it is the best route to east coast at this point of time for East and North Bangalore folks. You don't need to cross Attibele, Silk Board and Marathahalli. KR Puram is manageable via alternate side routes and most importantly a hanging bridge exists for the road less traveled After Battrahalli signal it's basically freeway. Yes, Pondy has got closer but I do miss my Sai Sangeet delicacies on this route. A business case exists for the franchise.
Old 16th October 2020, 08:14   #1975
BHPian

Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries-tvmroute.png

Found a new scenic route to Tiruvannamalai. What i did is took the road to towards salem at Krishnagiri and turn left about 10km later.

It joins the main route just before Oothagarai. So slighly patchy road for about 10-15km rest is beautiful tarmac thru rural villages.

Last edited by sivasain : 16th October 2020 at 08:15.
Old 16th October 2020, 08:23   #1976
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivasain View Post
Attachment 2068574

It joins the main route just before Oothagarai. So slighly patchy road for about 10-15km rest is beautiful tarmac thru rural villages.
Were you referring to Kaveripatnam-TV Malai NH interception ?

You can actually try : Karimangalam-Morappur-Harrpur-Theerthamalai-Tiruvannamalai.
Old 21st October 2020, 16:53   #1977
BHPian

Has anyone done a Bangalore to Pondi drive recently? I need to travel for Pondi for some urgent work and wanted to know the best route possible? I stay at Whitefield, based on on recommendations on this post, Whitefield >> Hoskote >>Chittoor >> Cheyyar >> Thindivanam >> Pondi route seems to be the best for a Whitefielder.

Do let me know your suggestion.
Old 25th October 2020, 08:28   #1978
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleTank View Post
Has anyone done a Bangalore to Pondi drive recently?.

I live in whitefield and I did go to Auroville last week.

Here is the route, Whitefield, Varthur, Turn left at Gunjur to join NH207, Hosur, Krishnagiri, At krishnagiri go towards Salem, You will get a minor left near kaveripatinam (I would suggest start your googlemaps navigation to tiruvannamali so do dont miss this). This road go to Chengam. Very scenic route and smooth winding tarmac and very green this time of the year. Some 10km is slighly patchy. From Tiruvannamalai to pondichery is brilliant tarmac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Were you referring to Kaveripatnam-TV Malai NH interception ?

You can actually try : Karimangalam-Morappur-Harrpur-Theerthamalai-Tiruvannamalai.

No, this is little beyond kaveripattinam. I am on an EV so i cant go on much longer routes.

Last edited by vb-saan : 30th November 2020 at 13:43. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged; please use edit/multi-quote options when posting back-to-back. Thanks!
sivasain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 07:07   #1979
BHPian

Going to Pondicherry in the coming week. I've always took the Krishnagiri-Vellore-Tindivanam route after suffering the horror of Tiruvannamalai route back in 2012. How's the condition of this route now?

I don't mind taking two different routes this time around if they offer nice scenic views. Please suggest a nice alternate route.
Old 30th November 2020, 07:24   #1980
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
I've always took the Krishnagiri-Vellore-Tindivanam route after suffering the horror of Tiruvannamalai route back in 2012. How's the condition of this route now?
Do not take the route via Tiruvannamalai, it continues to be bad intermittently and will get you by surprise just when you pick up speed It's like this almost all the way between Krishnagiri once you take the deviation off the NH46 and continues all the way till Chengam.

Stick to the other route via Vellore that you've been taking

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks