Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2018, 16:22   #1

Cochin to Khajuraho : Route Queries

Hi,

I am planning a road trip from Cochin to Khajuraho in late August. The itinerary I have chalked out as of now is as follows:

Day 1: Cochin-Kurnool
Day 2: Kurnool-Nagpur
Day 3: Nagpur-Bhopal (with sightseeing at Bhimbetka caves)
Day 4: Rest day at Bhopal (sightseeing suggestions appreciated)
Day 5: Bhopal-Sanchi-Udayagiri-Khajuraho
Day 6: Khajuraho sightseeing
Day 7: Khajuraho-Pachmarhi
Day 8: Pachmarhi-Hyderabad
Day 9: Rest day at Hyderabad
Day 10: Hyderabad-Cochin

I would appreciate inputs regarding the road conditions along the route. My main concern is the Nagpur-Bhopal-Khajuraho-Pachmarhi circuit. How are the road conditions and what route should I stick to. The vehicle to be used is the Skoda Rapid.

I also welcome suggestions for other sightseeing spots enroute.

Thanks in advance.
KL07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2018, 16:53   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Cochin to Khajuraho : Route Queries

Nagpur - Bhopal: Source
  • Nagpur to Bethul is a tolled road with good condition throughout
  • Bethul to Itarsi is in good shape with fresh tarmac (as on last year)
  • Itarsi to Hoshangabad : Good roads
  • Hoshangabad to Obedullgunj : Mix of good and bad roads with a lot of traffic
  • Obedullgunj to Bhopal : Gets better
Kurnool - Hyderabad - Nagpur:
Since I recently drove to Nagpur (And Gondia), you can refer to this (Bangalore to Nagpur : Route Queries) post that has details around the present route conditions.

Panchmari - Hyderabad:
Better be done via Chindwara - Nagpur. At least Chindwara to Nagpur route conditions are in good shape without any issues. This (Chindwara) option is also the most preferred one for anyone doing Nagpur Delhi over Seoni route.

Bhopal - Khajuraho:
I have asked a friend (also a Bhpian) from Bhopal for inputs and he has to say this:
Quote:
Fantastic roads end to end, Single carriageway but good roads. Bhopal Sanchi Vidisha Rahatgarh Sagar Damoh Panna Khajuraho

Last edited by paragsachania : 7th June 2018 at 17:02.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th June 2018, 20:30   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Panchmari - Hyderabad:

Bhopal - Khajuraho:
Thank you Parag, for your prompt reply. Also, is it possible to know the road condition and the route to be taken for the Khajuraho-Pachmarhi section?

Last edited by aah78 : 7th June 2018 at 20:43. Reason: Post edited. Please quote only relevant sections of posts. Thanks!
Old 8th June 2018, 12:45   #4
BHPian

Day 5 is too hectic. Sanchi is very close to Bhopal, so you can drive to Sanchi on Day 4 and stay in the very nice MPTDC hotel. It is worth checking out Orchha on the return from Kajuraho, though it is a little outside your travel plan. There is a nice MPTDC hotel in Orchha, where you can stay in one of the palace rooms and the sound and light show in the evening is very good.
You are also rushing through Pachmarhi, which is worth a day's stay. Again I stayed in the MPTDC and it was good.
Bhimbetka is also worth visiting.
The road from Kajuraho to Pachmarhi is two lane, but not too bad, but requires careful driving to detect speed breakers, people driving on the wrong side and the usual hazards. Do not drive at night in these locations as it may be deserted at night.
Have a safe drive.
Old 18th June 2018, 17:01   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SajiNSalin View Post
Day 5 is too hectic. Sanchi is very close to Bhopal, so you can drive to Sanchi on Day 4 and stay in the very nice MPTDC hotel.
========
Do not drive at night in these locations as it may be deserted at night.
Have a safe drive.

Thanks for the reply. Could you please let me know where you stayed at Pachmarhi and Orchha?
Old 18th June 2018, 17:07   #6
BHPian

I prefered to stay in MPTDC properties in Sanchi, Pachmarhi and Orchha. They have spacious and secure parking and fairly good rooms. The rates are also economical. Of the three, Sanchi and Orchcha were very good. In Orchha you can stay in a palace room. I also used the MPTDC hotel in Kajuraho. All these can be booked online.
SajiNSalin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2018, 17:35   #7
BHPian

As a native of the region, and frequent traveler, I'd highly recommend a visit to Panna as well.

A morning in Khajurao is more than enough for a well guided tour of the main site and a couple of "ancillaries" - and I speak as someone who's even visited with very interested architecture students (who were also looking to add a little too project work). So I imagine it should be enough for all sorts of tastes (YMMV).
Would recommend paying for the tour guide as well - it's worth the seemingly steep price.

Panna is well worth a visit and the only national park in MP that's easy to get tickets for. However that won't matter as only buffer zones are open August and September - and there are no ticket worries for those.

You can even try a night safari if you like (allowed in buffer zones). The experience is mesmeric even though you have lower chances of spotting animals more popular with non-wildlife focused tourists.

The park is very different from the other 4 in MP, and is as beautiful as Kanha, IMO.

Edit: Also, if you do happen to consider Panna, stay won't be a problem as you can simply motor down from Khajurao for your Safari and back to stay the night at Khajurao. If you don't want to drive yourself, all hotels will arrange for the Gypsy to pick you up right from the hotel at very little extra cost.

Last edited by Mu009 : 18th June 2018 at 17:44. Reason: Added some stuff.
Mu009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2018, 12:06   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SajiNSalin View Post
I prefered to stay in MPTDC properties in Sanchi, Pachmarhi and Orchha. They have spacious and secure parking and fairly good rooms. The rates are also economical. Of the three, Sanchi and Orchcha were very good. In Orchha you can stay in a palace room. I also used the MPTDC hotel in Kajuraho. All these can be booked online.
Thank you for the information. I have added Orccha to my itinerary. I am hoping the roads from Orccha to Pachmarhi are also in good shape. Do you know if a sedan can be taken to Dhoopgarh or should I hire a gypsy (if yes,could you please share details).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mu009 View Post
As a native of the region, and frequent traveler, I'd highly recommend a visit to Panna as well.
Thanks for the input. But from where can I book them. I am unable to find the link. Also, what the usual guide fees for Khajuraho?

Last edited by ampere : 25th June 2018 at 06:41. Reason: Back to back posts.; Trimmed quoted post
Old 24th June 2018, 12:38   #9
BHPian

Re: Cochin to Khajuraho : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL07 View Post
Thanks for the input. But from where can I book them. I am unable to find the link. Also, what the usual guide fees for Khajuraho?
You can book tickets for both core and buffer zones for all MP National Parks and other forest areas here:

https://forest.mponline.gov.in/

They have uncharacteristically explained things very well on the homepage right now. That should help you.

I wouldn't suggest advance booking for buffer zones - there's no need due to lower demand, so you have some flexibility. For future reference, when you're travelling when they're open, core zones must be booked in advance - for Bandhavgarh and Kanha, for example, ticket availability is as bad as busy rail routes in peak season.

Guide fees at Khajuraho near the main site varies between 1 and 1.5k - though it has been 2 years since I last visited.

Last edited by Mu009 : 24th June 2018 at 12:40. Reason: Correction(s)
Old 25th June 2018, 12:28   #10
BHPian

Re: Cochin to Khajuraho : Route Queries

I had taken a gypsy to Dhoopgarh. It was arranged by the MPTDC reception. You will find many vehicle operators plying that route. It is better to leave the car behind as the road is pretty rough.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks