Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2013, 21:06   #316
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Earlier posts suggest to avoid Hospet bypass road to reach Hampi, instead go through Hospet town. What is the route that I should follow? This one suggested by Gmaps:
I am not sure if Hospet bypass is completed. I had seen vehicles plying through that while in Hospet, but the road looked like construction was ongoing. I had taken the route mentioned by you,however my destination was Hospet for the day.
Do note that roads in and around Hospet is bad.
Old 20th October 2013, 22:25   #317
BHPian

re: Bangalore to Hampi / Bellary : Route Queries

Just back from a quick weekend tour of Hampi! I followed Bangalore- Tumkur- Chitradurga- Hospet route
Road update:
1. Last 40 Kms to Hospet (from Chitradurga) on NH-13 is in bad shape. Not only I had to negotiate a lot of truck traffic, but there were some kingsize potholes appearing out of no-where. The tarmac is mostly broken, lots of undulations etc. Small cars like mine had to suffer in this stretch. So please beware of this road - the bad road starts around 100 KM from Chitradurga NH-4.

2. There is no need to meander through Hospet town to reach Hampi. The town roads are narrow, sometimes broken and very congested. The alternative route is a good one; it bypasses the crowded Hospet streets. The road indicated between 2 arrows does not exist in G-maps as of today; but actually it exists a beautiful 4 lane divided road. Please use the route shown to bypass Hospet.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore to Hampi / Bellary : Route Queries-hospethampi-njew2.jpg  

Bangalore to Hampi / Bellary : Route Queries-hospethampi-njew.jpg  

ankan.m.blr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2013, 08:32   #318
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
1. Last 40 Kms to Hospet (from Chitradurga) on NH-13 is in bad shape. Not only I had to negotiate a lot of truck traffic, but there were some kingsize potholes appearing out of no-where. The tarmac is mostly broken, lots of undulations etc. Small cars like mine had to suffer in this stretch. So please beware of this road - the bad road starts around 100 KM from Chitradurga NH-4.
- So looks like Hiriyur-Chalkere is still a worthy alternative to look out for.
- Good alternative solution for Hospet. That 4-lane you mention shows up on Google but only in Satellite mode with construction work on going !
Old 28th October 2013, 14:48   #319

I am actually planning a Hampi trip this weekend and staying over at the Hyatt. Google Maps tells me the best route is Marathalli-Hebbal-Nelamangala via the Expressway-Sira- Challakere.

Is this best route?

Quote:
Originally Posted by root View Post
I travelled with my family today in our Civic from Bannerghatta Road to the Hyatt at Torangalu to explore Hampi and other areas nearby. Used the Tumkur Road uptil Chitradurga and turned into the Hospet Road.

I perhaps made the worst possible road decision of my life by following the Mapmyindia device. We got off this well paved two lane highway at Kudligi and took the Sandur road to Torangalu. Forget a low GC car, this road is not fit even for 4 wheel off roaders. A nightmare of red oxide, slush, boulders, rashly driven tippers and umpteen trucks, non existent roads across admittedly pristine forests visible through a red haze awaited me and my family. When driving from Bangalore to Bhopal couple of years back, the car never touched the bottom. Today, we literally scraped through. To top it all, at every village, they have decided to test your patience, and added a series of logic defying, axle breaking, bone crushing speed arresters, as if this is what the man and government forsaken Martian crater otherwise known as a state highway needs desperately.

BHPians - avoid this road. I am going back via Bellary and Hiriyur, but not before I get the car checked at the Bosch service station in Torangallu town. Shame, considering the car was serviced in time for this trip just 2 days back. However, the property is great and the JSW colony in which it is located is wonderful. Tired but full of high spirits for the rest of the trip. You can break our back but not our spirits.
Old 30th October 2013, 21:20   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhnag View Post
I am actually planning a Hampi trip this weekend and staying over at the Hyatt. Google Maps tells me the best route is Marathalli-Hebbal-Nelamangala via the Expressway-Sira- Challakere.

Is this best route?
The other alternate route may be Tumkur-Chitradurga - Hospet
But this route will be longer than the one you mentioned. I have traveled on this road 10 days back (to Hampi). Except some broken stretches near Hospet, rest of the route is in good shape. For the broken stretch, you need to be on your guard so that you do not hit those potholes at high speeds. I have not traveled Challlakere - Bellary route , so cannot compare.
ankan.m.blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2013, 15:44   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhnag View Post

Is this best route?
Except for some bad speed humps and a couple of short bad stretches at the Bellary bypass, this is a decent option as the road from Hiriyur (after Sira on the NH) through Challakere to Bellary is pretty good (though not a divided highway). Bellary to Hospet is not well paved but motorable. I came back through this route, and it was no problem

Last edited by root : 31st October 2013 at 15:50. Reason: Correction
root is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2013, 17:11   #322
BHPian

I have booked my rooms and travelling to Hampi on 24th Dec. Can anyone kindly let me know the best route to take?

Should I take?
a) Bangalore - Tumkur-Chitradurga - Hospet
b) Bangalore - Tumkur- Hiriyur-Challakere-Bellary- Hospet
Old 10th December 2013, 17:16   #323
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandkumargb View Post
a) Bangalore - Tumkur-Chitradurga - Hospet
I would prefer route (a) since road till Chitradurga is superb. Also NH 13 from Chitradurga - Hospet is mostly good. Only pain is few KM's before Hospet due to tunnel construction.
Old 30th January 2014, 13:00   #324
BHPian

Thank you!

I travelled to Hampi on Dec 26th and took Bangalore - Tumkur-Chitradurga - Hospet - Hampi route. 99% of route is very good. Till Chitradurga, the roads are 6 lane and in best possible condition. From Chitradurga, its a 4 lane road but then not much trafiic, you can maintain speeds of 80 -100 kmph. Last 3 kms before hampi is when you have crater sized potholes where you need to really slow down.

Last edited by anandkumargb : 30th January 2014 at 13:00. Reason: missed a word
Old 30th January 2014, 13:02   #325
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandkumargb View Post
From Chitradurga, its a 4 lane road but then not much trafiic, you can maintain speeds of 80 -100 kmph. Last 3 kms before hampi is when you have crater sized potholes where you need to really slow down.
A 4-lane ? Or you meant a 2-Lane road beyond Chitradurga? If really 4-Lane thats very good.
Old 30th January 2014, 13:10   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
A 4-lane ? Or you meant a 2-Lane road beyond Chitradurga? If really 4-Lane thats very good.

Yes, you are right. 2 lane roads.
Old 9th April 2014, 17:52   #327
BHPian

Hello TBHPian,

Planning Bangalore to Hampi trip in the coming long weekend and need advice for the route. So does below route looks like a good plan or there are any better option ?

Here is the route planned :-

Whitefield - Nice Road - Tumkur - Chitradurga -right towards NH13 - Kudligi - Sandur - Toranagallu ( Hyatt Place )

From previous post looks like the road till chitradurga is in excellent condition, so how is the road condition for Nh13 and beyond ? Will it be a good move to take exit at kudligi and take the NH40 till Torangallu ? or continue till Hospet and then reach Torangallu through the town ?

Also do let me know your experience for Hyatt Place if any

Cheers,

HarryB

Last edited by HarryB : 9th April 2014 at 17:54.
Old 9th April 2014, 18:03   #328
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryB View Post
so how is the road condition for Nh13 and beyond ?
You can take the NH13 all the way. The road is quite decent. You don't need the Hiriyur-Chalkere SH to be taken. Stick to NH13. But plan to have food by Chitradurga. You won't find much on NH13.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2014, 19:22   #329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You can take the NH13 all the way. The road is quite decent. You don't need the Hiriyur-Chalkere SH to be taken. Stick to NH13. But plan to have food by Chitradurga. You won't find much on NH13.
Thanks ampere, However is the road good after Kudligi to Torangallu as I will be exiting NH13 at Kudligi ?

Also any good restaurant to recommend in Hampi and is going to Tungabhadra dam recommended ?

Cheers,

HarryB

Last edited by HarryB : 9th April 2014 at 19:37.
Old 9th April 2014, 19:37   #330
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryB View Post
Thanks ampere, However is the road good after Kudligi to Torangallu as I will be exiting NH13 at Kudligi ?
No idea on that Harry. On restaurants, Hampi has a KSTDC Mayura. Decent to OK food. Hospet has Malligi and Royal Orchid.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks