Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2017, 14:17   #646
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Hampi / Bellary : Route Queries

Hi Folks,

Need your guidance.
I am planning to go to Hampi over coming weekend. Plan is to leave from Marathalli at around 2 pm on Thursday. I will be returning on Sunday - planning to start by around 11 a.m. from Hampi.

Can you guide which route could be best taken for going to Hampi ? I will be staying in Kamalapura. Especially since I will be starting at 2 pm. from Bangalore. I heard that the Bangalore - Hiriyur - Chellekare route has a lot of road construction currently going on and is not recommended for late evening drive. Is that right? How about Ananthpur- Bellary route?

Thanks in advance!
Old 27th November 2017, 17:36   #647
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranav_mankad View Post
Can you guide which route could be best taken for going to Hampi ? I will be staying in Kamalapura.
Chitradurga-Hospet is the National Highway route that is being widened, not Hiriyur-Challakere.
The construction activities on Hospet route may be painful as you're starting around 2pm and you will be on that stretch beyond 6pm.

At the same time , Hiriyur-Challakere is devoid of facilities, quite desolate and mining trucks will probably give you a hard time.

Given all this, I think Ananthpur-Bellary may be a better option. The road from Bellary takes you directly near the outskirts of Hospet where you need to turn right, go past a railway crossing and proceed to Kamlapur not too far away.
Old 27th November 2017, 18:31   #648
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Folks,

Need your guidance.
I am planning to go to Hampi over coming weekend. Plan is to leave from Marathalli at around 2 pm on Thursday. I will be returning on Sunday - planning to start by around 11 a.m. from Hampi.

Can you guide which route could be best taken for going to Hampi ? I will be staying in Kamalapura. Especially since I will be starting at 2 pm. from Bangalore. I heard that the Bangalore - Hiriyur - Chellekare route has a lot of road construction currently going on and is not recommended for late evening drive. Is that right? How about Ananthpur- Bellary route?

Thanks in advance!
Agreeing with NPV, even i suggest you to take Anantapur-Bellary route. Distance wise this may be 15-20kms more, but road conditions are excellent. I returned from Bellary yesterday, barring couple of small stretches, some road breakers and one narrow bridge near Uravakonda, even the Anantapur-Bellary stretch is in excellent condition.
From what i heard, Chitradurga-Hospet road is really painful to drive now because of the road widening work going on. Lots of deviation and breakers.
Old 27th November 2017, 19:53   #649
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Folks,

Need your guidance.

Thanks in advance!
If I were you and if I am traveling with family, I would halt overnight at either Anatpur or Chitradurga. It won't seriously effect your available time in Hampi. Also you can afford to leave Hampi a bit late because driving at night as you approach Bangalore is relatively safer.
Old 4th December 2017, 10:35   #650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
Agreeing with NPV, even i suggest you to take Anantapur-Bellary route. Distance wise this may be 15-20kms more, but road conditions are excellent. I returned from Bellary yesterday, barring couple of small stretches, some road breakers and one narrow bridge near Uravakonda, even the Anantapur-Bellary stretch is in excellent condition.
From what i heard, Chitradurga-Hospet road is really painful to drive now because of the road widening work going on. Lots of deviation and breakers.
So the recommendation for Bengaluru - Hampi seems to be:
Bengaluru -> Anantpur -> Bellary -> Hampi

Is it recommended to go till Gooty and then go via Guntakal and then touch Bellary? or is the deviation from Anantpur towards Bellary (via Uruvakonda) also good?

Also from Bellary there are two routes that Google Maps shows towards Hampi - which is the better of the two? And how are the roads between Bellary-Hampi?

Route 01:
Ballari -> Kudathini ->Toranagallu -> Kamalapur -> Hampi
or

Route 02:
Ballari -> Kudathini -> Daroji -> Ramasagar -> Bukkasagara ->Kamalapur -> Hampi
Old 4th December 2017, 11:03   #651
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post

Is it recommended to go till Gooty and then go via Guntakal and then touch Bellary? or is the deviation from Anantpur towards Bellary (via Uruvakonda) also good?
You don't need to go till Gooty. You take the deviation from Anantapur and go via Uruvakonda.
kavensri is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 08:01   #652
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
If the idea is just to head to Hampi during day time, you can stick to Hiriyur-Challakere-Bellary option as well. Not much of traffic till Bellary along the beautiful wide 2-lane road running for 150km.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
You don't need to go till Gooty. You take the deviation from Anantapur and go via Uruvakonda.
How do you rate the NH7 option against NH4? Any comments? I always thought NH4 was better and roads till Bellary are fantastic via Hiriyur.

Last edited by ampere : 6th December 2017 at 08:02.
Old 6th December 2017, 08:55   #653
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
How do you rate the NH7 option against NH4? Any comments?
Not specific to reaching Hampi but between NH4 and NH7, it is definitely a tough one to pick .

From my own recent experience of driving to Kurnool and then to Mumbai on subsequent weekend, I found NH4 more relaxing as Tumkur-Chitradurga is 6 lane. Secondly, this one is more straight while NH7 is 4 lane and has bit of curves here and there, more than unusual culverts compared to NH4.

Facilities wise, NH4 and NH7 at least till the first 200 Kms are similar. What Dabaspet-Tumkur offers for NH4 is what Devanahhalli would offer for NH7 and beyond this both routes have hardly anything worth till the next 150 kms.

So the choice I believe here should strictly be between how good the rest of the 2 lane roads are and how peaceful to drive?
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 08:55   #654
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If the idea is just to head to Hampi during day time, you can stick to Hiriyur-Challakere-Bellary option as well. Not much of traffic till Bellary along the beautiful wide 2-lane road running for 150km.

How do you rate the NH7 option against NH4? Any comments? I always thought NH4 was better and roads till Bellary are fantastic via Hiriyur.
it's now NH48 and NH44.
All these years I was always using NH48 to visit Bellary or Hampi via Hiriyur and Challakere
Had visited Hospet/Hampi on Nov 25th weekend and for the first time used the NH44 Option via Anantapur and Uravakunda.
I'd say it is a better option. Absolutely empty and straight 4 lane roads till Anantapur. After that too, good tarmac all the way. Traffic also is far less

Edit:
After I posted, Saw the reply of paragsachania. I think both the posts makes his clear that it's a tough pick

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 6th December 2017 at 08:59.
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 09:00   #655
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
From my own recent experience of driving to Kurnool and then to Mumbai on subsequent weekend, I found NH4 more relaxing as Tumkur-Chitradurga is 6 lane. Secondly, this one is more straight while NH7 is 4 lane and has bit of curves here and there, more than unusual culverts compared to NH4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Had visited Hospet/Hampi on Nov 25th weekend and for the first time used the NH44 Option via Anantapur and Uravakunda.
I'd say it is a better option. Absolutely empty and straight 4 lane roads till Anantapur. After that too, good tarmac all the way. Traffic also is far less
Well differnt views! My only concern was Ananthpur-Bellary. One being good roads and the other being safety/security.

Quote:
it's now NH48 and NH44.
That is some thing very difficult to get used to!
Old 6th December 2017, 09:01   #656
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
it's now NH48 and NH44.
I would say, old habits die hard. Somehow, most of us I have known are still comfortable with NH4 and NH7 than this new nomenclature. In fact NH48 reminds me of BLR-MLR only and nothing else.

Now if only someone else would say that NH4 is also AH47 .
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 09:19   #657
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That is some thing very difficult to get used to!
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I would say, old habits die hard. Somehow, most of us I have known are still comfortable with NH4 and NH7 than this new nomenclature. In fact NH48 reminds me of BLR-MLR only and nothing else.
Change is the only constant. As soon as I think of Sakleshpur, NH48 is the number I get in my head. but later I change it consiously while I write/speak. In doing so I confuse people too
This is similar to Bombay, Madras as against Mumbai, Chennai

Quote:
Now if only someone else would say that NH4 is also AH47 .
and NH7 is AH43

Not using AH43/47 is ok because both NH and AH numbers are active/valid at the same time and can be used alternatively.
But NH48 has been assigned to Pune road now as against Mangalore road that we are "used to".

As far a s the topic is concerned, give me some time. I'll upload some photos of the Uravakunda route later in the day so that it'll be useful for people

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 6th December 2017 at 09:34.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 09:24   #658
BHPian

Quote:
I have driven extensively on NH4 (till Hubballi) and NH7 (till Veldurthi) since last 10 years or so. Even to Ballari, i have driven on both the routes. And based on the my experience, I prefer NH7 than NH4 for couple of reasons. Agree that NH4 is 6-lane, but now a days it is too crowded with lots of trucks. And then after Hiriyur, again the traffic density is too high when i have to compare the stretch between Anantapur-Bellary. Then we have long queues in the tolls on NH4, which gets really worse while returning (depending upon the time).
So, considering all the facts, I started using NH7 to drive to Bellary in the recent times. Just last week (Nov 25-26) I have used that route and in case you are going to drive in the day time, i don't see any security/safety issues. I never drive after 9pm, so i cannot comment whether that route is safe after that time.
I hope I have answered all your queries
kavensri is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 09:58   #659
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As far as the topic is concerned, give me some time. I'll upload some photos of the Uravakunda route later in the day so that it'll be useful for people
for most part of it, the road from Anantapur to Bellary is like this.

Bangalore to Hampi / Bellary : Route Queries-img_20171126_174924.jpg

Bangalore to Hampi / Bellary : Route Queries-img_20171126_175120.jpg

This was during our return. Onward was an over night drive where we hardly stopped
hemanth.anand is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 12:49   #660
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My only concern was Ananthpur-Bellary. One being good roads and the other being safety/security.
I was thinking that if one is going to Bellary, Hiryur-Bellary is ruled out if doing a late evening/night drive in which case Anantpur-Bellary was a good option.
For daytime drives, I think both are viable options and its mostly one's comfort and convenience (and old habits/familiarity! )

Have there been any reports of security/safety issues on this route ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks